mtbr member
    Mar 2008

another scalpel vs rush question...

I know there have been a couple of posts already on scalpels vs rush but I am in need of some non-biased opinions.

I currently own an '06 rush 1000 and was looking to take off some weigh of the bike. While I was at my LBS looking at wheelsets I saw an '07 scalpel 3 they have on sale. I can get a great deal on it and am wondering if it is worth the $$ to sell the rush and buy the scalpel (they basically have the same component package but the scalpel is 2+ lbs lighter). I really like the ride position of the rush and have raced it in many adventure races and off-road tri's. However, it is a bit heavy and I have to keep the suspension pressure incredibly high to get the ride feel that I want. My main riding is training on local trails which have roots, rocks and some small drops and many of the races I do are in the NC or GA mountains but consist of a lot of fireroad stuff. If the scalpel makes sense financially does anyone have any concerns about 180lb rider + 10-20lb pack on this bike? I need to have confidence that this bike will be robust enough for adventure races and Xterra's. Note: prior to the rush I competed on the same terrain on a F1000SL hardtail without problems. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

mtbr member
    Bill it sounds as though you could be the perfect candidate for the Scalpel! About time someone asked about swapping to the Scalpel for the right reasons!

mtbr member
    if you have no problem on your trails with a hardtail then the scalpel will be fine. i found that when i went from an anthem to the scalpel that i missed the travel... but i solved that by getting a rush...

btw i am 210 plus a pack so weight wont be an issue.

mtbr member
    I have the exact bike you're looking at. I'm 150 dressed, so I'm a bit lighter, but so far I have no complaints about the bike in my debut xc racing season. The only changes I'm planning on making are a lightweight wheelset & stan's tubelss in the next few months.

Maybe a lightweight riser bar would help with your position. Also note that the Lefty damping cartridge negative spring is rider weight dependent. If the bike you're looking at is not a size large (rated for 175-195lbs) you may need to make sure your lbs will swap in the correct spring.

Members who have read this thread: 0