mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Amazing Mystery Headshok's: I've been on a buying spree and have 5 headshok equiped

Cannondale's and have studied Headshoks whenever I can. It's amusing and frustrating how identical year/same model and even paint scheme bikes will have different Headhoks. An example is black/yellow Super Fatty SI from same year model Jekylls one with air and one with elastomer. Then I just scored a 2004 F600 SL that has a Headshok ULTRA with air. No where could I find that fork listed for that bike. IF the forks pant did not match the bike's exotic paint scheme I'd have thought it was a warranty job - maybe it was?...............did they ever paint forks for warranty.
    So I got to ask are the Headshok's aluminum outer tubes all different or
    were guts unique to externals?.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qikbbstang View Post
    Cannondale's and have studied Headshoks whenever I can. It's amusing and frustrating how identical year/same model and even paint scheme bikes will have different Headhoks. An example is black/yellow Super Fatty SI from same year model Jekylls one with air and one with elastomer. Then I just scored a 2004 F600 SL that has a Headshok ULTRA with air. No where could I find that fork listed for that bike. IF the forks pant did not match the bike's exotic paint scheme I'd have thought it was a warranty job - maybe it was?...............did they ever paint forks for warranty.
    I am not educated on all the variants of Headshoks, but I do know that there were different colors used on models sold in Europe vs the US during the same model year. So,this could be the reason for the different color scheme. Yes, they did offer warranties on the Headshok, so yes it could have been painted by the factory to match.

Here's a good source of info: Vintage Cannondale - Information and Catalogs for Cannondales
    Klunk on............

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Qikbbstang View Post
    The 2004 F600 Furio has a Fatty Ultra DLR 80. Cannondale never painted forks to match warranty claims. You simply got what was currently available on-hand, at time of replacement.

The Headshok DLR80 air fork was made from 2004-2008. The last bike that came with them was the late, 2006-2008 Cannondale F3-F7. The super-light, Optimo(Alcalyte alloy) bikes(2003-2006) also came with them, as well as the Furio(Dual Assault) series(2004-2007). The DLR series were alloy steer tubes with total 88 needle bearings, running on four races(22x4). Magura of Germany also made a sweet, but rare cartridge upgrade(Magura CCS) for the DLR in the 2006 model year only.

Ask me ANYTHING about Cannondale....before the buyout.
    Last edited by Cayenne_Pepa; 07-23-2015 at 06:51 AM.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius