mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Almost new F700 -w- lefty... about how much to pay?

I'm eyeballing a 'used once' F700 with a lefty fork I somebody is selling... They are asking $450 for it and I've been wanting a hardtail keep my prophet company. I didn't realize that the F700s every came with a lefty. The bike is blue and black with yellow text and they say is in the 'team colors'... does anybody have an idea of what year that might be and thoughts on if $450 is a good price? Ride ON!

mtbr member
    The Lefty alone might be worth that!
    Take a look on ebay - There's lefty's selling for more than that, although they're probably newer. (make sure to check whether alloy or carbon when doing any comparisons though)
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There are a lot of these for sale in fact I have one too. Make sure the brakes don't require frequent bleeding. I just removed the Claras off of my bike and replaced them with mechanical discs and I'm much happier. That's the only downside to that bike is the brakes.

The rest of the components are ok. Other weak spot of the bike are the deore shifters. The left one is about to go out on me so I'm replacing it with a set of rapid fires. The lefty which comes with this bike is the one which is spring loaded. I believe it's 100MM of travel and labeled as the Lefty D. Rebound is the only thing you'll need to adjust for sag.

The price I paid for mine was $400 and I consider that about right on par with other places I've seen the same F700SX listed for. Plus the guy never rode it so it was a win win for me.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I'd expect to pay $300-$600 on ebay for a used but in good condition alloy lefty alone...

If I could get a bike in that range where I could either sell off or sell the spare parts I'd probably be a pretty happy camper. How old is it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks. I'm unsure of the year... They said they rode it once for 3 miles and it has the Magura brakes. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and if it is as good as they say it is and it fits well, I'll be giving that bike the kind of miles it deserves soon!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by scocra
    Thanks. I'm unsure of the year... They said they rode it once for 3 miles and it has the Magura brakes. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and if it is as good as they say it is and it fits well, I'll be giving that bike the kind of miles it deserves soon!
    I think it's that bike but in blue... 2000 F700 SX.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

F700

I had a 2002 F700 and it was a great bike. it handled great and all the parts worked great but i had to replace the hydr breakes because they kinda sucked with mech avids and the break feel was much better. i also cracked the head tube on that bike riding down a fire road 3 months ago. so check the welds on the used bike you are bying. Cannondale will not replace the frame if it goes bad because you are not the one who purchased the bike. or make a deal with the guy selling it that if you ever break it he will get a new frame for you.
    but a good bike even just for the fork. might want to have LBS check out and add new oil

karl

shut up and RIDE!
    I have this same bike, and the only thing that I do not like is that it comes with the 4bolt hubs for the disc brakes. Other than that, it's been a great bike.
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

Members who have read this thread: 1