Adapt Lefty Ocho onto a 2017-2018 Scalpel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Adapt Lefty Ocho onto a 2017-2018 Scalpel

Can anyone tell me, or provide any documents that will show information as to what's needed to Adapt a Lefty Ocho onto a 2017-2018 Scalpel?
    I know that I will have to replace the rear shock in order to use the new dual "lockout" system. I'm just not sure what goes on inside the headset with the new 1-1/8 steerer.

Thanks!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Save money, don't bother.

It'll be dead in two years to make way for some utterly singular, uniquely designed product that won't fit anything current offered, just like every other Cannondale product made since Dorel bought them.

Run while you still can.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Iím with Mendon. I have had no less than 30 different Leftyís over the years including the Ocho. Ive ridden all iterations and have intimate knowledge of the manufacturing and technical details of all of them. Off the shelf, most of them werenít ideal, although with some minor tweaks in the first years of the Lefty, they performed great. As the years and ďtechnical advancementsĒ commenced, it became harder to manipulate the characteristics of the ride; as well as, service them generally. The internals became more apt for premature wear and more frequent service requirements. The specialized tools and parts were more difficult to obtain and bearings migrated more easily.

The Ocho is probably the best performing of all of them for me specifically as I am a light rider (60kg), but the design is still plagued with necessary service and migration.

Put simply, if you decide you want a Lefty, youíll have to pay a lot of attention to it and will have to send it for service as necessary. Personally, I would rather have a fork that i just set up initially and ride without worrying about its health and performance constantly. Fox/RS forks are easily user serviceable and need much less care/concern.

If you decide you ultimately want a Lefty, it will be a high maintenance relationship, both figuratively and literally. I enjoy the blissful ignorance of not having to worry weekly about whether my fork is healthy or not.

So.... you will need 1.5 lower, 1-1/8 upper, headset. As far as the rear shock, you donít have to replace it, you can either convert the lockout to the single reverb style lockout or use your (presumably) full sprint for rear only and add the cable lockout with the Ocho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow...he didnít ask for opinions! Anyways, if itís a Carbon Ocho, you need K35019.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I probably should have mentioned that I'm 61, and I've been riding Leftys since they were born.

I have three scalpels, and I thought it would be a cool winter project to bring one of them to 2020 specs.

I ride about 120 to 160 miles a week, and I just don't see the Lefty issues everyone else does. Though I'm also about 135 pounds, and I don't keep them for very long.

As far and all the C'dale special propitiatory tools and parts...I love to mess with the bikes. I like that they are unique. I don't like that C'dale is so vague about some things. And I hate that parts seem to unobtainable at times.

Thanks for the help guys! And "MendonCycleSmith, your comment "utterly singular, uniquely designed" cracks me up. Perfect.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adapt Lefty Ocho onto a 2017-2018 Scalpel-barn.jpg  

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    J, fair point, no he didn't ask for an opinion, but it sounded like he didn't have one yet, was just trying to save him the money and heartache.

Cris, cool, good for you. Might help to understand that my affiliation is much deeper than yours, (not playing the *mine's bigger* game, not my style).

I've had a really long running affiliation (close to 30 years), professionally, with the company and product. I've owned, ridden, serviced and tweaked, every model they've had and until the Hybrids, I'd agree with you, I didn't see the issues others griped about.

Within a year of the Hybrid designs release, as a service center though? I saw the same issue, over, and over and over.

Leg wear.

That was bad enough to be a wake up call, and at $500 to make it well again (on semi annual repeat), painful.

Yet it was the sundowning of entire classes of the fork after a mere couple years that really showed the companies hand, and its changed values.

As long as you were willing to buy into a new fork every few years, rather than service, maintain and keep what you had, running, great.

But as a person who grew up with the old mindset of keeping things in good working order for many years? Changing direction to designed obsolescence and planned disposability in *durable goods*, is repulsive, and done for no good reason, other than creating land fill fodder, and furthering the dumbing down of the consumer market for the benefit of a corporate bottom line.

We consumers are not here to be open wallets for greedy companies to pluck dollars from. Some folks are wooed by the cool factor, and in the old days, it was rewarded with a functional but funky fork.

Now, all your doing by supporting Cannondale is buying a ticket on the train, in the race to the bottom, and I expect better of brands I support. As such, I'm also compelled to make sure others at least get a polite, articulate, well informed wake up call, because if you're a long time supporter of the brand, and simply aren't paying attention? Time to start, provided corporate behavior, and environmental responsibility matter at all, even if them wasting your money for you, doesn't.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    MendonCycleSmith, I agree with you, but my need for owning something different and cool outweighs the Cannondale BS I have to endure. And you'll have to admit, the Scalpel is an impressive bike...Lefty and all.

I'm 61, and I've been riding avidly since I was 17. I need cycling to be as unboring as possible, and all these gadgets and BS help in some odd sorta way.

And yes, I'm easily wooed by the cool factor. It scares me to think what my bikes would look like if I wasn't a weight weenie.

I hope Cannondale figures it out, and continues to offer unique.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fcris View Post
    MendonCycleSmith, I agree with you, but my need for owning something different and cool outweighs the Cannondale BS I have to endure. And you'll have to admit, the Scalpel is an impressive bike...Lefty and all.

I'm 61, and I've been riding avidly since I was 17. I need cycling to be as unboring as possible, and all these gadgets and BS help in some odd sorta way.

And yes, I'm easily wooed by the cool factor. It scares me to think what my bikes would look like if I wasn't a weight weenie.

I hope Cannondale figures it out, and continues to offer unique.
    Well since we are now expressing our thoughts, here are mine. I had a 2012 Lefty Carbon (with boot). Damper broke yearly but it rode nice. Besides the Damper, never had to fix anything else but I did grease it regularly.

Got the 2.0 and it rode great (when it was working)but always had crazy issues with it.

Got the Ocho for a bunch of reasons, first, the Pinkbike review sold me. 2nd, loved the look. 3rd, doesn't mess up the geometry on my Scalpel Si. 4th, weight.

Brand new, bearings migrated super easily but also reset super easy. Warrantied it within a few weeks, got it back, still migrated easily but not as bad but rode like sh*t. Warrantied it again, supposedly the head Cdale mech worked on it and now it rides amazing. It is noticeably better then the 2012 and 2.0. I don't have much experience with other forks on a 29er except a 2012 Sid which rode so much worse then my 2012 Lefty.

I have been riding for 25 years and I am a semi-retired Cat 1 MTB racer.