mtbr member
    Mar 2008

'98 F1000 headshock swap

Hi all,

Got to the point where I'm looking into a replacing my headshock with a fork.
    I need a good fork with decent travel without overpaying. Has anyone else done a conversion like this on their F1000? Also cannondale uses 1.5" forks? Whats better to get with conversion kit to I and 1/8" or get the 1.5"? Please let me know which fork/parts I'll need and if thats something I can do or have to take it in. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Is there something wrong with the headshok?
    If you're replacing it 'cause it's broke, it might be a lot cheaper to get it fixed - there's another thread where this is being discussed.... will post more info if you want...
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, the headshok is alright, not keeping its air for a long time. Also limited travel.
    I might use more info on how to get it fixed though if you have it handy. Who might be able to fix it, would any bike shop have the tools/knowledge to do it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a 98 F2000 - I changed it over to a Cane Creek Double XC Short headset - fits the headshok frame, but uses a 1 1/8th fork. I put a RS Revelation 426 in mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here's a bad pic - but might help. Headset is a little pricey, but the reducer cups that you press a regular headset into never were my favorite route - even when Cannondale was specing them on brand new bikes (Like on my wife's old F400 int he background.)

Link to the headset - looks like it runs about $78 everywhere I've seen it. I bought mine from Jenson. Make sure you click the drop-down box and order the one that says Short/Cannondale in the part description. http://jensonusa.com/store/product/H...ducing+Hs.aspx

The taller fork (I normally run mine at 115mm) slackened up the stock 71degree headtube angle a bit, and made the bike a bit less twitchy at speed. It lost a lot of the go-fast XC racer, and picked up more of a trail bike personality. I really enjoy riding it more this way. For brakes you pick up the ability to run a disc in the front - I've been running mine in Mullet-mode for brakes for a year, and it's been fine on all but the most hardcore descents.

***Edit - looks like Jenson is out of stock on the Short - Cambria has it though -- http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...EADSET+HEADSET
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F1000Dale
    Well, the headshok is alright, not keeping its air for a long time. Also limited travel.
    I might use more info on how to get it fixed though if you have it handy. Who might be able to fix it, would any bike shop have the tools/knowledge to do it?
    We're discussing some old headshocks here - not sure if it's the same:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=399645

But if you're looking for more travel - that ain't gonnna help. Although I think if you update an old 50mm headshock with the DD60 cartrdidge, you'd end up with 60mm, so a little more maybe.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm about to put the same Cane Creek Double XC Short headset on my F1000. I'm going from a regular headset with reducer cups to the XC and I highly recommend it. Not only do the reducer cups add length onto your steerer tube but it also doesn't leave the stress in the headtube.

Don't use reducer cups, spend the extra $$$ and get the Cane Creek or the Chris King if you can afford it. I'm putting a Manitou Minute 1:00 on mine with 90-130MM of adjustable travel. Be careful adding too much travel to your bike which will screw up the geometry. I opted for the Minute 1:00 because it's only 4lbs and I can dial up the travel if I go to another park and there are some downhill sections where steering isn't as important as travel. Very versatile fork. Bought for $270 at bicyclebuys.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Good reading. I have a Cannondale F1000 and was just about to list a fork for sale- Marzocchi PRO EXR, but thought what if I put it on my Cannondale. As above, I feel my headshock has limited travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0