mtbr member
    Mar 2008

'98 F1000 cranks

Hi All,
    I'm a new member with newly purchased used Cannondale F1000. I believe its a '98 model. I love the bike since its very light, the components on it are alright but I'm rebuilding it with newer parts. So far I put on a new race face handle bars, odi grips, xt breaks and shifters and wellgo 08 aluminum pedals and next are the cranks. The current craks are xtr but long gone. When I hold two pedals together and try to move sideways, there is room to wobble, basically its worn/lose. Looks like the crank arms are good, but the middle part(forgot the term) is worn. Can this be fixed without replacing the whole crank, also I'm looking at some race face cranks since they're reasonably priced with great reviews. Which would fit my F1000? Thanks.

More than somewhat.
    You need a new bottom bracket. Easily replaceable if you have the proper tools. I suggest you take it to your LBS and have them do it (special tools, reverse threading, can require LOTS of muscle and a breaker bar).

The Raceface cranks should fit, but if your BB is hosed, it won't matter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks a lot Cypress. From what you're saying it'll be best if I take it to my local shop. So botom bracket is my prob, hmm. Better than the whole crank. I'll keep the crank replace the largest chainring since it looks little worn and the BB and I'm all set. Thanks for your help, I'll post a picture once its finished.

Members who have read this thread: 0