mtbr member
    Apr 2008

5'6-5'7 Height Riders..What Size Do You Ride?

I was wondering what size Cannondales do you 5'6-5'7 guys ride? I recently was riding an 'M' until it was stolen a few weeks ago . Now i'm in the market for another C'dale (F3?) and was wondering if I should stay with the 'M' or go down a size.

My previous 'M' felt a tad big on the trails, but great on the street. I do 90/10, street/trails since I live in NYC. I'm also not crazy about the look of the frame of the Small size.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Arrwin; 04-21-2008 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam, so I ride a size small frame. My first Cannondale was a '96 F500 with the "killer V" style top tube, so it was tough as nails. Still, when it was time to upgrade, I went with a size small Super V, mostly because I was very comfortable with the low standover height. I found that for overall riding, a size small frame with an 80mm or 100mm stem works best, as a small frame is easier to muscle around the trails, and the longer stem provides plenty of room when riding on the street. My 2 cents.-Danny

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have your same dilemma. I've demoed just about every bike in Cannondale's line (on dirt) and I feel like both could work for me (I'm between 5'6" and 5'7" and I was looking primarily at a RUSH but now considering the Rize). The medium is more stable and more confident inspiring on the downs, while the small feels a bit easier to manouver around the trail. I've always thought Cannondale had too large of a gap between the medium (23.6 in. effective TT) and the small (22.0" effective TT).

What's funny is both the feminine bikes are between the two (medium is 23.1" and small is 22.6") I've thought about, but just can't quite bring myself too, buying one of the feminine bikes. You could do this and it would probably put you where you want to be.

B

Edit: the dimensions I gave are from the Rush, but this does hold true as the feminine F is between the small and medium male versions as well.

B

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and I ride a M Rush and a M F2, although my (changed) stems are only 80mm long. My wife's M Feminine Rush is too small for me, even with the stock stem. I guess it's 100 or 110 mm long.

Live 2 Ride
    Don't know if it helps but I am 5'9" and ride a 17.5 inch frame.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I have a medium 2005 F2000SL, with a 100mm stem- and it's perfect for me(5'7"). It also largely depends if your torso, or legs is longer too. If my inseam was 30" or more, I would have gone with a large frame. A small is way too cramped for me and the front wheel would often contact my unclippped shoe(size 9). It really depends on what kind of riding you do. I ride XC- but if I wanted to go DH or Freeride, I would get a small- because a shorter top tube would allow me to get major air, on jumps. Just my two cents....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey guys,

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far. I wanted to make sure a C'dale Medium was not too big for me and based on everyone's responses it seems fine. I guess we are in the 'tweener size range for C'dales. I'm guessing a 17.5" on a Trek/Giant/Gary Fisher would fit me perfectly, but I think C'dales sizing is more like: S=17, M=18, L=19?

Did C'dale ever change their sizing over the past few years or did they stay relatively constant?

mtbr member
    I'm between 5'7" and 5'8" and ride a M Rush. It fits me perfectly. Pants inseam is 30".

I was worried that it would be too big for me but it is absolutley right.

mad aussie
    I am 5'6" and ride a small, I rode medium for a year, it was good on pavement and fast downhills, but I found it too hard to turn in tight singletrack as I couldnt get enough weight on the front wheel. I much prefer the handling in the small size, but should note I used to race BMX so I prefer a small flickable bike.

Kevin

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Cannondale revised their sizing conventions, in 2002. Although their sizes are typically larger than normal- they have not changed it since.

Members who have read this thread: 0