2021 Scalpel- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 96 of 96

Thread: 2021 Scalpel

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736

    2021 Scalpel

    Might as well start the thread with the proper year now, right?

    Been riding the SE1 for weeks now. Came out of the box (with tubes) at 25lbs. I swapped the XT and hollowgram wheels for AXS and industry 9. Even with adding some hefty Minions (a must) and heavy post...24.9 lbs. The new SID 35mm is really stiff actually. Didnít have high hopes, but super impressed for sure. Itís actually 100g LIGHTER than the aluminum Ocho. The SE could quite possibly come out of the box weighing almost as light as the XT Scalpel Carbon 2 XC. It still maintains that XC feel, though, even with 1į slacker angle (67į). You definitely notice the extra travel when it counts but not when it doesnít.

    This scalpel is much more efficient than all of my others. Previous were pretty simple frame designs and relied heavily on shock tune and performance. With its Horst link, there is a lot of efficiency built into the frame design and itís noticeable. My previous Scalpels would all get a Fox Float CTD (3 pos damping) upgrade for this reason. Climbing was not all that efficient and I certainly didnít wanna climb locked out. This bike doesnít need that middle platform climbing, even with the extra travel. The rear end with SID LUXE tracks very efficiently, up and down. It takes fairly decent sized drops easily without much worry. Easy to hop and clear large trees and other trail garbage bc of itís weight. This is legitimately a very raceable XC bike.

    I chose the SE1, which is the hidden gem of the whole lineup. Iíve never really paid attention to the SES in the past, but full XT 12 speed, super light frame, carbon wheels, super light stiff SID 120/120 at 25lbs for $5500? Wow. And super stealthy looking paint job.







    Last edited by trauma-md; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:31 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guvna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    302
    I love everything about this new Scalpel except the seat tube is waaaaay too long.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikesinmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,179
    bikes look pretty good. however the geo is not as 'down country' as it could have been.
    that being said, the 100mm platform looks great!

  4. #4
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,984

    2021 Scalpel

    That grey looks siiiiick! Reminds me of Audiís ďNardo GreyĒ which is my favorite.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17
    How's the pedal bob? At least one other review mentioned feeling some. Do you have experience riding other recent bikes to compare against?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by max621 View Post
    How's the pedal bob? At least one other review mentioned feeling some. Do you have experience riding other recent bikes to compare against?
    Almost no pedal bob for me. Previously to the new Scalpel I was riding Yeti SB130 and Scalpel Si. Was so impressed with efficiency of SB130 climbing vs Scalpel Si. 2021 Scalpel design feels much more efficient than previous. Very noticeable. I spend a lot of time setting up my suspension the right way, though.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kevin_sbay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Been riding the SE1 for weeks now. Came out of the box (with tubes) at 25lbs. I swapped the XT and hollowgram wheels for AXS and industry 9.
    Nice review. Thanks for posting.
    Couple noobish to Cannondales questions for you and folks who know...

    Regarding the AI 6mm offset drivetrain:
    1. Getting new wheels built -- Would this require a specialist, experienced wheel builder? I'm guessing the 6mm offset is not in the usual dropdown menu of online wheelset shops, like WeAreOne or BTLOS.
    2. BB Cannondale Alloy PressFit30 - How easily swappable is this with other, typical PF30 BBs? Is there anything special about the spindle length for the 6mm offset?
    3. Cranks HollowGram, BB30a, OPI SpideRing, 34T, Ai offset - Is the offset built into the cranks, or the spindle, or other? I know these are nice cranks, but what special details would I need to watch for if I wanted to swap out cranks for XTR, just for example.

    Thanks. SE1 looks the really interesting. Thinking what upkeep and customization might look like for a regular, non-shop, no-connections guy.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Nice review. Thanks for posting.
    Couple noobish to Cannondales questions for you and folks who know...

    Regarding the AI 6mm offset drivetrain:
    1. Getting new wheels built -- Would this require a specialist, experienced wheel builder? I'm guessing the 6mm offset is not in the usual dropdown menu of online wheelset shops, like WeAreOne or BTLOS.
    2. BB Cannondale Alloy PressFit30 - How easily swappable is this with other, typical PF30 BBs? Is there anything special about the spindle length for the 6mm offset?
    3. Cranks HollowGram, BB30a, OPI SpideRing, 34T, Ai offset - Is the offset built into the cranks, or the spindle, or other? I know these are nice cranks, but what special details would I need to watch for if I wanted to swap out cranks for XTR, just for example.

    Thanks. SE1 looks the really interesting. Thinking what upkeep and customization might look like for a regular, non-shop, no-connections guy.
    Any decent wheelbuilder should be able to account for the offset. You can also buy off the shelf wheels and take them to a builder to have them dished, but it's less ideal than having someone who can build for the offset up front.

    Someone like wheelbuilder.com should be able to help you out.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,857
    Thanks for the review. Any chance it fits 2.6 tires out back?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Nice review. Thanks for posting.
    Couple noobish to Cannondales questions for you and folks who know...

    Regarding the AI 6mm offset drivetrain:
    1. Getting new wheels built -- Would this require a specialist, experienced wheel builder? I'm guessing the 6mm offset is not in the usual dropdown menu of online wheelset shops, like WeAreOne or BTLOS.
    As Udyr said, its a simple redish of a wheel. Doesnít take a pro wheel builder, but you definitely need someone who has experience knowing how to dish and true.

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    2. BB Cannondale Alloy PressFit30 - How easily swappable is this with other, typical PF30 BBs? Is there anything special about the spindle length for the 6mm offset?
    Simple PF30 BBs will work as long as theyíre not (Non 83A) BB width specific. Ive linked some options specifically for the PF30A width below. The Hollowgram spindle is 137mm and has standard Hollowgram MTB spacers. The Ai offset is built into the spidering.

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    3. Cranks HollowGram, BB30a, OPI SpideRing, 34T, Ai offset - Is the offset built into the cranks, or the spindle, or other? I know these are nice cranks, but what special details would I need to watch for if I wanted to swap out cranks for XTR, just for example.
    As above, the offset is built into the spidering. Swapping to SRAM or Shimano cranks can be more complicated and sometimes more work than you care to get involved with, but Kogel and WheelsMFG make specific conversion PF30A BBs for using SRAM/Shimano cranks without any other mod.

    https://www.kogel.cc/collections/can...kets/#products

    Theyíre kinda pricey ~$179-$199 (ceramic bearings)


    https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bb-cr...-adapters.html

    This spacer kit is an even cheaper option.
    Last edited by trauma-md; 05-24-2020 at 09:06 AM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Are those PF30a bb's compatible with the Scalpels 83mm wide bb shell as they're designed for Road PF30a

    Can attest to the Scalpels better compliance in traction when compared to the outgoing Si. It just feels like it wants to dig it and not floating on the terrain waiting for a spin out. I find myself standing and climbing with the new bike a lot more.
    I want one!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dreicha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    263
    Can i mount in crankset with quarq power meter? or is this exactly the same bb as 2017 model?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Are those PF30a bb's compatible with the Scalpels 83mm wide bb shell as they're designed for Road PF30a

    Can attest to the Scalpels better compliance in traction when compared to the outgoing Si. It just feels like it wants to dig it and not floating on the terrain waiting for a spin out. I find myself standing and climbing with the new bike a lot more.
    I want one!
    The Kogels YES. Now that I look further, youíre right, the WheelsMFG BBs are not compatible with 83. The WheelsMFG adapting spacers ARE compatible still. Edited original post!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    The Kogels YES. Now that I look further, youíre right, the WheelsMFG BBs are not compatible with 83. The WheelsMFG adapting spacers ARE compatible still. Edited original post!

    For a PF30A/83 the BB386 option is the way to go.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    For a PF30A/83 the BB386 option is the way to go.
    Absolutely. I have done this in the past.
    Last edited by trauma-md; 05-25-2020 at 02:04 PM.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    It's the same bb as 2017 scalpel so if you have the sram Crank already and it's the 30mm axle then you can use the drive side quarq power meter and the existing non drive side Crank arm.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    806
    Nice build...the purple hubs work well the grey frame color

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    343
    How come we don't see the Ultimate or World Cup model shown on the website? High Mod 1 will be the highest model in 2021?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    How come we don't see the Ultimate or World Cup model shown on the website? High Mod 1 will be the highest model in 2021?
    Should be coming to US. Cannondale usually delays the ďultimateĒ or ďlimitedĒ upper end models. Finger crossed.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Should be coming to US. Cannondale usually delays the ďultimateĒ or ďlimitedĒ upper end models. Finger crossed.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any idea when will it be shown on the web? Looks like Sram has new Cassette for the bike?
    Last edited by scalpel226; 05-29-2020 at 09:10 PM.

  21. #21
    Handmade in Switzerland
    Reputation: maettu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296
    Thanks for your report.
    Do you have size M?
    Tire clearance with DHR II 2.35 is fine on the rear? I was a little scared because C'dale has speced a 2.25 tire in the rear and a 2.35 on the front.

    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Might as well start the thread with the proper year now, right?

    Been riding the SE1 for weeks now. Came out of the box (with tubes) at 25lbs. I swapped the XT and hollowgram wheels for AXS and industry 9. Even with adding some hefty Minions (a must) and heavy post...24.9 lbs. The new SID 35mm is really stiff actually. Didnít have high hopes, but super impressed for sure. Itís actually 100g LIGHTER than the aluminum Ocho. The SE could quite possibly come out of the box weighing almost as light as the XT Scalpel Carbon 2 XC. It still maintains that XC feel, though, even with 1į slacker angle (67į). You definitely notice the extra travel when it counts but not when it doesnít.

    This scalpel is much more efficient than all of my others. Previous were pretty simple frame designs and relied heavily on shock tune and performance. With its Horst link, there is a lot of efficiency built into the frame design and itís noticeable. My previous Scalpels would all get a Fox Float CTD (3 pos damping) upgrade for this reason. Climbing was not all that efficient and I certainly didnít wanna climb locked out. This bike doesnít need that middle platform climbing, even with the extra travel. The rear end with SID LUXE tracks very efficiently, up and down. It takes fairly decent sized drops easily without much worry. Easy to hop and clear large trees and other trail garbage bc of itís weight. This is legitimately a very raceable XC bike.

    I chose the SE1, which is the hidden gem of the whole lineup as Iíve never really paid attention to the SE in the past. Full XT 12 speed, super light frame, carbon wheels, super light stiff SID. 120/120 at 25lbs. For $5500? And super stealthy looking paint job.








  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    806
    Cool build.....looks fast and fun

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    Thanks for your report.
    Do you have size M?
    Tire clearance with DHR II 2.35 is fine on the rear? I was a little scared because C'dale has speced a 2.25 tire in the rear and a 2.35 on the front.
    DHR 2.3 definitely clears with absolutely no rub. I think Cannondale was interested in specing this bike somewhat appealing to the XC crowd, so they put smaller/faster Rekon Race on the rear. The Minions definitely put this bike on a new level, though.

    Added a little something over the weekend:

    2021 Scalpel-81a0e59e-d915-4e08-82d0-8f072e426244.jpg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    343
    Just got the HM1 carbon, I found that the Ocho on the new Scalpel got something changed! The remote lockout has been changed from Push to Unlock to Push to Lock! Same as the Fox rear shock, both are push to lock now. Great modification from Cannondale

  25. #25
    BuckyFullerFan
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    33
    Does anyone know how to tell if a used cannondale scalpel frame is high mod or just the Ballistec version?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Hi Mod Scalpels will have an ďHMĒ decal under the clear coat either up high or down low (depending on the year) on the front of the seat tube.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurbikerider View Post
    Does anyone know how to tell if a used cannondale scalpel frame is high mod or just the Ballistec version?


    On the BB shell is the serial number and a frame reference and model number.

    there will be number consisting of

    XSCHM29M/ABC

    the first number is the year model so 7 will be 2017, 8 = 2018; 9=2019

    SC = Scalpel
    HM = Hi MOD
    BL = Ballistec
    29 = wheel size
    M = Medium frame, S = Small, L = LArge
    /ABC = colour code.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Found some pics of a built up HM Ultimate (appears to be a custom build in some ways and not the stock kit)

    I really love this color

    2021 Scalpel-shot.jpg
    2021 Scalpel-hmultimate.jpg

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    That's a picture of the Europe Spec HiMOd Carbon Ultimate

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    343
    I found that the cables were very loose in the cable insert on the new Scalpel frame, water and dirt may get into the frame easily! Bad design

    2021 Scalpel-3c0e9606-7869-4a7d-8612-c78d98d84292.jpg

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    213
    If it is a sealed tube for the cables to follow, then nothing should penetrate it. I had a bike back in the day called Duratec that had this design and it even fell off a bridge into a pond. No problems with water getting into the frame.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    That's a picture of the Europe Spec HiMOd Carbon Ultimate
    So the Euro spec gets the power meter but the USA spec gets Enve wheels instead?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    So the Euro spec gets the power meter but the USA spec gets Enve wheels instead?
    Don't see the power meter in the spec.. Colour and XX1 axs is specced on the EU ultimate

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    I found that the cables were very loose in the cable insert on the new Scalpel frame, water and dirt may get into the frame easily! Bad design

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C0E9606-7869-4A7D-8612-C78D98D84292.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	1340197
    OK then sell. I'll take it off your hands for $1000 so you don't have to risk your life with it.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Don't see the power meter in the spec.. Colour and XX1 axs is specced on the EU ultimate

    The pic above is the Ultimate HM that has been upgraded/customized slightly from retail spec.

    Ultimate HM spec includes Enve wheels and cockpit, as well as special copper color AXS Eagle components.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Don't see the power meter in the spec.. Colour and XX1 axs is specced on the EU ultimate
    Is US getting something similar?
    When?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl View Post
    Is US getting something similar?
    When?
    Yes. Late summer. Tell your shop to order soon.

    Cannondale was waiting for SRAM to officially release the new copper colorway for Eagle drivetrains to release info/order bank on the Ultimates.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Scalpel SE Limited

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    199
    Where is the spec sheet? It is on the Cannondale website but no spec.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    X01 Eagle, Hollowgram wheels, SID Ultimate fork and shock.

    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider View Post
    Where is the spec sheet? It is on the Cannondale website but no spec.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    26
    And new 52 tooth eagle.

    Saw specs today at LBS as well as the new scalpel ultimate with axs

    got my order in but canít get until Oct...due to EP. ESD for retail is 8/22.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl View Post
    And new 52 tooth eagle.

    Saw specs today at LBS as well as the new scalpel ultimate with axs

    got my order in but canít get until Oct...due to EP. ESD for retail is 8/22.
    Both Ultimate and SE limited will come with new 52t Eagle. The SE will have the new design mechanical X01 RD for the larger cog. All current AXS RDís are compatible with new 52T but the previous mechanical Eagle are said to not be ďidealĒ for the 52s. They have been tested and will work throughout the cassette but the 42 to 52 shift will not be smooth.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    It's not linked but I guessed the URL: https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...i-mod-ultimate

    12,000 freedom units! Good lord.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    It's not linked but I guessed the URL: https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...i-mod-ultimate

    12,000 freedom units! Good lord.
    WOW! You have to really like copper or need to be the guy/gal with the ĎUltimateí bike to make that purchase! My Scalpel SE with AXS upgrade and equivalent build...NOWHERE near that price. I still think that the SE1 is an incredible deal for what you get stock. Upgrade to AXS, wheels...sell/recycle the take offs....youíre still <$7000. They could at least throw an ENVE carbon stem on it for that price, instead of aluminum Cdale, to round out the ENVE. Maybe even put the new ENVE one piece bar/stem to make truly unique and Ďultimateí.

  45. #45
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,622
    Shame there are no Shimano builds. Do they sell frame only?

    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Shame there are no Shimano builds. Do they sell frame only?
    Hi Mod 1 (XTR/XT) and SE1 (XT) are both Shimano builds

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Yes. Late summer. Tell your shop to order soon.

    Cannondale was waiting for SRAM to officially release the new copper colorway for Eagle drivetrains to release info/order bank on the Ultimates.
    Correct. Ultimate and carbon limited and SE ultimate and limited where launched last night.
    Jeeeeeez that is an ultimate price tag

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Almost no pedal bob for me. Previously to the new Scalpel I was riding Yeti SB130 and Scalpel Si. Was so impressed with efficiency of SB130 climbing vs Scalpel Si. 2021 Scalpel design feels much more efficient than previous. Very noticeable. I spend a lot of time setting up my suspension the right way, though.
    With your setup and shock pressure, how does it handle going up switchbacks? Being much slacker than current Scalpels, does the front end wander and tend to lift? I like to set up mine stiffer at rear.
    Also, I love the current Twin Loc feature, this will be missed on the SE1. I use it often for stand-up pedaling.

    Nice setup by the way, and still under 25 lbs with the Minions! I'm now on 2.4 DHF and 2.35 DHR II, love the combo if not the lightest.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by aohammer View Post
    With your setup and shock pressure, how does it handle going up switchbacks? Being much slacker than current Scalpels, does the front end wander and tend to lift? I like to set up mine stiffer at rear.
    Iím using a 90mm stem which makes it a little more XC, so even pedaling up the really steep short techy stuff, front end stays planted well, no lift or wander. Not sure how it would behave with the stock 60-70mm stem.

    I usually set my previous Scalpels up stiffer in the back to make them a little more efficient when climbing, but with this design I actually set it up a little lighter than what is suggested (156 vs my 152psi). It is surprisingly efficient with no noticeable bob. I even Shockwhizíd it (balanced setting) and it seemed to be set up well (for me, at least) with the lighter setup both front and rear. Feels very racy still, surprisingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by aohammer View Post
    Also, I love the current Twin Loc feature, this will be missed on the SE1. I use it often for stand-up pedaling.
    Ive always traded my remote lockouts for standard Fox non remote CTD, so Iím used to independently locking out with a lever. On the SE, both are very easily located and flipped.

    Quote Originally Posted by aohammer View Post
    Nice setup by the way, and still under 25 lbs with the Minions! I'm now on 2.4 DHF and 2.35 DHR II, love the combo if not the lightest.
    I donít think Iíll ever go back after experiencing the grip and performance of the Minions. I used to be a slight weight weenie and would surely have no problem shedding weight with my tire selection...not anymore.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    Hello everyone,
    Thanks for the interesting report from trauma-md and the other comments.
    I will hopefully get a Scalpel SE 1 this week and want to upgrade the bike with XTR brake and shifting.
    @trauma-md: Did you leave the "old lines" in the frame when you installed the XTR brake?
    Or did you install a completely new line for the rear brake?
    If so, were you able to simply thread the line in?
    Or did you have to remove the rear end of the bike? At least that's what the manual says.

    Thanks and greetings from Southern Germany.
    Thomas
    Last edited by chickenz; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:17 AM.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenz View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Thanks for the interesting report from trauma-md and the other comments.
    I will hopefully get a Scalpel SE 1 this week and want to upgrade the bike with XTR brake and shifting.
    @trauma-md: Did you leave the "old lines" in the frame when you installed the XTR brake?
    Or did you install a completely new line for the rear brake?
    If so, were you able to simply thread the line in?
    Or did you have to remove the rear end of the bike? At least that's what the manual says.

    Thanks and greetings from Southern Germany.
    Thomas
    I replaced the entire brake. I did have to remove the lower pivot bolts to raise the swing arm. Itís actually really easy, though. Let the air out of the shock and remove the lower pivot bolts. Swing arm will easily move up out of the way and you can access everything you need. My XTRs came already with only a cap on the lever/brake line, so they were already separated and ready to thread through. Olives and barbs already included. Just start at the rear and thread up through. Take the bolt out of the cable funnel as seen on page 11 of the manual as well. It was helpful to have the fork out of the frame as well as the tool kit out to expose the liner (which is basically an old bike tube) as the liners do NOT extend to the exit areas of the head tube. They technically do NOT run the entire course, but its not hard if you can reach through the head tube and guide it out.

    Congratulations, youíll love the SE.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I replaced the entire brake. I did have to remove the lower pivot bolts to raise the swing arm. Itís actually really easy, though. Let the air out of the shock and remove the lower pivot bolts. Swing arm will easily move up out of the way and you can access everything you need. My XTRs came already with only a cap on the lever/brake line, so they were already separated and ready to thread through. Olives and barbs already included. Just start at the rear and thread up through. Take the bolt out of the cable funnel as seen on page 11 of the manual as well. It was helpful to have the fork out of the frame as well as the tool kit out to expose the liner (which is basically an old bike tube) as the liners do NOT extend to the exit areas of the head tube. They technically do NOT run the entire course, but its not hard if you can reach through the head tube and guide it out.

    Congratulations, youíll love the SE.
    ok. cool. But one more question. Which "lower pivot" do you mean?
    the one at the bottom bracket?

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenz View Post
    ok. cool. But one more question. Which "lower pivot" do you mean?
    the one at the bottom bracket?
    Yes. The lower one that contains the chain guide.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Yes. The lower one that contains the chain guide.
    ok. I understand. thanx for your help.
    now I can't wait until it's in my hands...and under my ...
    So long.
    Thomas

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    26
    20.79 lbs????? WOW if true.

    Scalpel Hi-MOD Ultimate

    C21_C24101M_Scalpel_HM_Ultimate_CPR_PD.jpg
    FrameAll-New, 100mm travel, BallisTec Hi-Mod Carbon, Proportional Response Tuned, FlexPivot Chainstay, PF30-83, Tapered Headtube, Speed Release 12mm thru axle, Ai Offset, Stash compatible
    ForkLefty Ocho Carbon, 100mm, Chamber Damper with remote lockout, OppO Spring System, tapered steerer, 55mm offset
    Rear ShockFox Float DPS Factory EVOL, 100mm, remote lockout, adjustable rebound
    RimsENVE M525 Carbon, 24h, tubeless ready
    Hubs[F] Lefty 60 / [R] Custom DT Swiss, 36t Star Ratchet, 12x148mm thru-axle
    SpokesDT Swiss Aerolite, straight pull
    Tyres[F] Schwalbe Racing Ray EVO, 29 x 2.25", SnakeSkin, Addix Speedgrip, tubeless ready, [R] Schwalbe Racing Ralph EVO, 29 x 2.25", SnakeSkin, Addix Speed, tubeless ready
    CranksetSRAM XX1 Eagle DUB, 34T, Ai offset
    Bottom BracketSRAM DUB PF30 MTB83
    ChainSRAM XX1 Eagle, Copper, 12-speed
    Rear CogsSRAM XG-1299, XX1 Eagle, Copper, 10-52, 12-speed
    Rear DerailleurSRAM XX1 Eagle AXS
    ShiftersSRAM Eagle AXS, 12-speed
    HandlebarENVE M5, Carbon, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9¬į sweep, 760mm
    GripsESI Chunky Silicone, 32mm dia.
    StemCannondale 1, 7075 Alloy, 1-1/8", 31.8, 7¬į
    HeadsetIntegrated, 1-1/8 to 1.5", sealed angular contact bearings
    BrakesSRAM Level Ultimate hydraulic disc, 160/160mm Centerline X rotors
    Brake LeversSRAM Level Ultimate hydraulic disc
    SaddlePROLOGO Dimension NDR CPC Tirox Saddle
    SeatpostENVE Carbon, 31.6 x 400mm, 0mm offset
    SizesS, M, L, XL
    ColourCopper (CPR)
    ExtrasStash Kit (Fabric 8 in 1 Mini Tool and Dynaplug tubeless puncture repair tool)
    Claimed Weight (excluding Stash)9.45 kg

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    736

    2021 Scalpel

    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl View Post
    20.79 lbs????? WOW if true.

    Scalpel Hi-MOD Ultimate

    ExtrasStash Kit (Fabric 8 in 1 Mini Tool and Dynaplug tubeless puncture repair tool)
    Claimed Weight (excluding Stash)9.45 kg
    Certainly possible, but probably slightly higher. Should still be equal to or less than 22 lbs

    Fumicís Scalpel (no pedals) with full XTR/Enve AND Stash/tool/plug is 9.854kg (21.7 lbs)

    All parts weighed by his mechanic as it was built.

    https://youtu.be/rhGsWPs2aUU

    Stash+Tool+Dynaplug = 31g + 56g + 24g = 111g

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Fumicís Scalpel (no pedals) with full XTR/Enve AND Stash/tool/plug is 9.854kg (21.7 lbs)

    All parts weighed by his mechanic as it was built.

    https://youtu.be/rhGsWPs2aUU

    Stash+Tool+Dynaplug = 31g + 56g + 24g = 111g
    Odd that Fumic's frame is 150g more than the claimed weight. If we take away the tools, cages, bolts, and subtract the difference in the claimed weight, we get 9.54kg which is pretty darn close.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Seems that the build spec has a few errors.
    the front rotor is 6 bolt and the rear is centre not the other way round as listed.

    The listed weight is the average weight for a frame in size medium UNPAINTED. The team often takes the best frames which means the most aligned bb surfaces, headeset bearings seats, fewest voids and lightest weight. Then its painted. Bear in mind that all bike companes list their frame weight without hardware and paint. Never picked up a Scott Spark that came in at the 1850gr with shock paint and hardware. The team bikes will likely come in a little lighter than stock bikes due to the fewer layers of paint.
    They use production frames. Only thing custom is the cranks and paint

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    34
    Great Thread - Just ordered a Scalpel Carbon 3 myself. Super excited.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    The listed weight is the average weight for a frame in size medium UNPAINTED.

    Bear in mind that all bike companes list their frame weight without hardware and paint.
    I guess it would make sense that paint is excluded, but most of the articles reference hardware being included as a part of the claimed weight for the Scalpel.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    I guess it would make sense that paint is excluded, but most of the articles reference hardware being included as a part of the claimed weight for the Scalpel.
    Yes they all claim to list hardware in the weight i.e. the shock but they never state if it has any oil in it! I take the claims with a pinch of salt . The actual article is typically 120gr to 200gr heavier than claimed with paint and all hardware.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    2021 Scalpel-img_20200617_214103.jpg

    It has arrived
    Tomorrow it will be rebuilt and driven.
    I'm happy

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    34
    Congrats!! Iím in a bike shop paying for my Scapel right now!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Found some pics of a built up HM Ultimate (appears to be a custom build in some ways and not the stock kit)

    I really love this color

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	1340005
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HMUltimate.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	1340007
    Hi,

    I've ordered an Ultimate but am looking at PM options. Does anyone know how to install a Quarq PM.

    Udyr,

    do you know where this picture came from and who the owner of this bike is? I'd like to ask them how they installed the Quarq. Many thanks!!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dreicha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    263

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by dreicha View Post
    Thank you very much!!

  67. #67
    Handmade in Switzerland
    Reputation: maettu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296
    According to the Ątooď big holes in the frame for the cables.


    Name:  82BB98FC-53BC-4E74-9C61-E9AD7E9CB930.jpeg
Views: 172
Size:  10.0 KBMaybee something like this will fit?

    See Jagwire DCA072

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    63
    Hi all, great thread soo far. My buddy just picked up his 2021 Scalpel SE (grey) in SMALL and to his dismay it only has one bottle cage in the center triangle (the downtube has holes for a cage but the seat tube doesn't). My wife is considering picking up an SE and would probably be a small as well. I am interested to determine if anyone else has a size small and if they have two sets of mounting holes for two bottles on their bike (pictures would be greatly appreciated). I'll get him to send me a picture if anyone wants.


    Second question, unless I'm mistaken we can not run Shimano cranks on the new 2021 Scalpels unless a custom axle is used because of the wider bottom bracket shell. Can anyone confirm?

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by mowmonster View Post
    Hi all, great thread soo far. My buddy just picked up his 2021 Scalpel SE (grey) in SMALL and to his dismay it only has one bottle cage in the center triangle (the downtube has holes for a cage but the seat tube doesn't). My wife is considering picking up an SE and would probably be a small as well. I am interested to determine if anyone else has a size small and if they have two sets of mounting holes for two bottles on their bike (pictures would be greatly appreciated). I'll get him to send me a picture if anyone wants.


    Second question, unless I'm mistaken we can not run Shimano cranks on the new 2021 Scalpels unless a custom axle is used because of the wider bottom bracket shell. Can anyone confirm?
    ANS 1: All size can fit two bottle cages. The distance from the centre of the bb to the rocker link pivot is the same as on the medium sized frame.

    Ans 2: No you can't fit a Shimano Crank as the axle is not only too short but also the bearing land on the drive side is not located correctly. The Scalpel requires it to be more inboard. Even if you could get a custom BB made (Hambini.com) with the driveside bearing as far utboard of the frame as required by the std axle, the axle is still a few mm too short.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,601

    Cool-blue Rhythm Fun and Fast

    I had a 2017 Scalpel. It was alright, but I got rid of it. Just picked this up and spent the weekend riding it. I love it. Its a custom build (my shop spec'd it), and came in at 21.5 LBS without pedals. Medium SE (120mm travel) AXS, Roval wheels, 2.3 tires, Magura brakes...

    It has plenty of travel for my style of riding. Climbs really well, and I am not even locking it out ... I am digging the extra traction. It may be my perfect all around bike. I can race it as well as go out for a fun day.


    2021 Scalpel-scalpel-se.jpg

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    ANS 1: All size can fit two bottle cages. The distance from the centre of the bb to the rocker link pivot is the same as on the medium sized frame.
    That's what I thought. To future buyers reading this thread: they are shipping bikes/frames without two water bottles in the triangle in size SMALL. Make sure to check your frame prior to paying.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by mowmonster View Post
    That's what I thought. To future buyers reading this thread: they are shipping bikes/frames without two water bottles in the triangle in size SMALL. Make sure to check your frame prior to paying.
    Does your small not fit a 500ml bottle on the seatube? I don't think frames ship with bottle cages and bottles fitted.
    I would find it very strange that the small does not fit a 500ml bottle on the seat tube as the seat tube is 10mm shorter than the medium frame with on;y 2mm difference in the standover. The difference in seat tub height is all above the rocker linkage

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Does your small not fit a 500ml bottle on the seatube? I don't think frames ship with bottle cages and bottles fitted.
    I would find it very strange that the small does not fit a 500ml bottle on the seat tube as the seat tube is 10mm shorter than the medium frame with...
    That is what I was trying to make clear in the original post: the small frame that shipped does not have holes drilled to mount a bottle cage in the seat tube. (I know the bike doesn't ship with a bottle cage). I'm going to text him to send me a picture of his seat tube/chain stay/downtube junction with no holes and post the picture.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    ANS 1: All size can fit two bottle cages. The distance from the centre of the bb to the rocker link pivot is the same as on the medium sized frame.

    Ans 2: No you can't fit a Shimano Crank as the axle is not only too short but also the bearing land on the drive side is not located correctly. The Scalpel requires it to be more inboard. Even if you could get a custom BB made (Hambini.com) with the driveside bearing as far utboard of the frame as required by the std axle, the axle is still a few mm too short.
    Size small can fit one bottle cage only! The cage located on the down tube has been moved downward, and not enough space for the second cage on the seat tube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Scalpel-104440323_10157382495778059_3022681756233188446_o.jpg  

    2021 Scalpel-105013241_10157382495738059_2847108235200720958_o.jpg  


  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    34


    So happy - just picked up my Scalpel Carbon 2. Pretty happy right now.

    First impressions (this is my first new MTB for 15 years)
    - The seat is bare bones.
    - The lefty is awesome. I can't really see it while riding normally.
    - The carbon tubes are massive - the downtube feels about 3 inches wide.
    - The bars feel so wide. I can see at least 10mm coming off each side but I'll leave that till later.

    It took one week from order to delivery so I'm super happy. I'm happy to have used my LBS for this as opposed to an online order only. Its everything I wanted really.

    First new MTB for 15 years so the geometry will be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    Size small can fit one bottle cage only! The cage located on the down tube has been moved downward, and not enough space for the second cage on the seat tube
    Wow! Thatís pretty crap

  77. #77
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,622

    2021 Scalpel

    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    Size small can fit one bottle cage only! The cage located on the down tube has been moved downward, and not enough space for the second cage on the seat tube
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Wow! Thatís pretty crap
    Yeah thatís pretty lame. Surely they could have tried to package maybe 2 smaller bottles (20oz) instead of one large 26oz one. I donít know what it can actually accommodate just speculating.

    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4


  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    34
    How does the lockout feel for everyone else - I donít know if itís me but the lockout seems to make almost zero difference at the front. Mechanic says itís not actually a lockout just more of a slower rebound.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiscott View Post
    Mechanic says itís not actually a lockout just more of a slower rebound.
    Depending on the tune, the "lockout" will simply be firmer compression damping, which makes a firmer platform. Their "lockout" may be more equivalent to Scott's middle position, rather than the full firm.

    Generally speaking, this is a better solution than full locked out unless its pavement, but I'd imagine there are ways you can adjust the compression to get a firmer lockout if you want. I'm not familiar enough with the Lefty to guide you on this though.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiscott View Post
    How does the lockout feel for everyone else - I donít know if itís me but the lockout seems to make almost zero difference at the front. Mechanic says itís not actually a lockout just more of a slower rebound.
    Is your fork an Ocho? The Ocho lockout is solid. No movement at all. If yours has movement when locked out something is wrong. First thing to check would be that there is enough cable tension to actually rotate the dial on top of the fork to the locked position. If that's fine then there's something wrong in the fork.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    Is your fork an Ocho? The Ocho lockout is solid. No movement at all. If yours has movement when locked out something is wrong. First thing to check would be that there is enough cable tension to actually rotate the dial on top of the fork to the locked position. If that's fine then there's something wrong in the fork.
    It is an Ocho - 2021. Iíll spend time time this week seeing whatís up. Iím 200lbs so perhaps being Ďlargeí is a problem.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiscott View Post
    How does the lockout feel for everyone else - I donít know if itís me but the lockout seems to make almost zero difference at the front. Mechanic says itís not actually a lockout just more of a slower rebound.
    As I mentioned above #24 , I found that the Ocho on the new Scalpel got something changed! The remote lockout has been changed from Push to Unlock to Push to Lock! Same as the Fox rear shock, both are push to lock now. Great modification from Cannondale! Perhaps you didn't set it properly, since I had the same issue as you did before, once you set it correctly, the Ocho is pretty firm when it's locked

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    The compression adjust doesn't affect the lock out. The LOCKOUT can be softened but that is an internal change just like on the LEfty 2.0 XLR Carbon.

    Unless this Lefty has had the lock out detuned there is something very wrong with it

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    44

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Who actually need lockout at new Scalpel and Ocho at all? Road racers? ) I have tuned mine to some "semi-locked" position when it is not fully open and works close to "Climb" button of previous Lefty models. Ocho lockout = zero compression. So in theory will be no damage when someone do 1m drop with locked Ocho because of blow-off circuit. Or better set compression to 3-4 clicks and always ride open ) But Fox Float DPS lock position is very useful for climbs and road, yeah.

    I am riding for few weeks at the new Scalpel 3 and really happy with how it goes up and down. Significant change I did - swapped all Shimano XT with SRAM GX and added custom made wheels. Also replaced stock 34T chainring with 32T oval from Garbaruk. And some minor changes to make it bit lighter. Carbon handlebars, seatpost. Shimano XT M8100 brakes, Ai rotors, my favourite saddle, etc. and Hollowgram of course, because Scalpel 3 comes with heavy metal cranks option )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Scalpel-20200621_164416.jpg  


  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    As I mentioned above #24 , I found that the Ocho on the new Scalpel got something changed! The remote lockout has been changed from Push to Unlock to Push to Lock! Same as the Fox rear shock, both are push to lock now. Great modification from Cannondale! Perhaps you didn't set it properly, since I had the same issue as you did before, once you set it correctly, the Ocho is pretty firm when it's locked
    I'm not sure what this means: it says in the manual Push (the bottom lever) to Descend. is that right?

    2021 Scalpel-slide1.jpg

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiscott View Post
    I'm not sure what this means: it says in the manual Push (the bottom lever) to Descend. is that right?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	1345237
    Yes pushing the bottom lever moves the shock and Ocho to open. So loading the spring opens the valving. Releasing the spring locks it out. If it fails it fails to locked.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yes pushing the bottom lever moves the shock and Ocho to open. So loading the spring opens the valving. Releasing the spring locks it out. If it fails it fails to locked.
    It should be another way around for the 2021 Scalpel Ocho and Fox shock, pushing the bottom lever locks the Ocho and Fox shock, Releasing the upper lever moves the Ocho and shock to Open!

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    88
    I have a 2017 and I would would replace it with the exact bike you got. The step from a 100 to an efficient 120 would be awesome. You all are happy with the SID?

  89. #89
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,295
    My lockout is fully locked on my 8, I had to argue the other day with a mechanic the whole push to open and so on with the lever. I do feel a bit of rocking when is locked, like when the steering is loose which is not. I believe is the best lefty ever, 20 years on lefties. Lets see about longevity.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    2
    Hi All, I've just acquired a MY2021 Scalpel 29r Carbon 2 after I broke the seatstay on my much-loved 2013 edition when a stick got caught in the back wheel.

    Does anyone know if the spoke nipples on the Hollowgram wheels are brass or alloy? Looking to relace the rear wheel with a faster hub, probably XTR. Our local trails here in Sydney are rocky and rooty and 15 degrees engagement lag on the stock rear hub is going to suck.

    Also looking for a spare RD hanger and RT86 or RT81 centrelock rotors x 2.

    I'm super pleased that I can at last fit 2x700ml Camelbak bottles inside the front triangle on a Large, and the pedal efficiency is pretty impressive.

    Currently awaiting drier trails so I can ride without incurring the wrath of the trail fairies. Pretty saturated at the moment.

    Cheers,

    John

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by redsailsinthesunset View Post
    Hi All, I've just acquired a MY2021 Scalpel 29r Carbon 2 after I broke the seatstay on my much-loved 2013 edition when a stick got caught in the back wheel.

    Does anyone know if the spoke nipples on the Hollowgram wheels are brass or alloy? Looking to relace the rear wheel with a faster hub, probably XTR. Our local trails here in Sydney are rocky and rooty and 15 degrees engagement lag on the stock rear hub is going to suck.

    Also looking for a spare RD hanger and RT86 or RT81 centrelock rotors x 2.

    I'm super pleased that I can at last fit 2x700ml Camelbak bottles inside the front triangle on a Large, and the pedal efficiency is pretty impressive.

    Currently awaiting drier trails so I can ride without incurring the wrath of the trail fairies. Pretty saturated at the moment.

    Cheers,

    John
    If it is as before it is aluminium. Sadly.

    But Doesnt the Carbon 2 have a rear hub with dt internats? If so, Isnít easier to just buy a new ratchet Rings with lets say 54t?

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar View Post
    If it is as before it is aluminium. Sadly.

    But Doesnt the Carbon 2 have a rear hub with dt internats? If so, Isnít easier to just buy a new ratchet Rings with lets say 54t?
    DT internals doesn't always mean it has the star ratchet internals. Easiest way to tell is to just try and pull the cassette off with the freehub body.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32
    Love this bike, swapped out the parts to AXS/XTR, Bonty wheels. 24lbs and getting PR's up and down! I never thought I would own a non DW link bike, but this thing pedals really well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Scalpel-img_8427.jpg  


  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by peteshoe View Post
    Love this bike, swapped out the parts to AXS/XTR, Bonty wheels. 24lbs and getting PR's up and down! I never thought I would own a non DW link bike, but this thing pedals really well!
    Awesome pic - I need to come ride with you.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by peteshoe View Post
    Love this bike, swapped out the parts to AXS/XTR, Bonty wheels. 24lbs and getting PR's up and down! I never thought I would own a non DW link bike, but this thing pedals really well!
    In the middle of ordering and doing almost same thing. AXS drive train w/eagle 52, XX1 cranks, SID Ultimate Fork, XTR brakes, Bont XXX bar/stem/wheels, Eggbeater 11 pedals, carbon seat. Calculating 23.34lbs with pedals and contemplating lighter wheels to get me to 22.96lbs.

    Building lightweight racer, I hope, to compliment a Supercaliber

    Anxious to see if it all works out that way. Those weights are starting with a 27.2lb bike as that is the weight I have found online.

    Did you weigh yours stock, and what size please?
    Care to detail what you did change while i wait for my end of August delivery?

    By the way, looks great and congrats.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by peteshoe View Post
    Love this bike, swapped out the parts to AXS/XTR, Bonty wheels. 24lbs and getting PR's up and down! I never thought I would own a non DW link bike, but this thing pedals really well!
    Love the colour! I wish the 100mm travel versions came with that kind of colourway.

Similar Threads

  1. New 5010 v4 for 2021?
    By richt2000 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 05:36 PM
  2. New Specialized Stumpjumper 2021
    By Leandro Gomez caruso in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-14-2020, 03:28 PM
  3. Completely new Scalpel redesign for 2021 ???
    By gobriango in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2019, 03:32 PM
  4. 2021 Bikes
    By schlockinz in forum Canfield
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-29-2019, 04:17 PM
  5. New coil shock from FOX - 2020/2021 leaked images
    By dmcd38 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2019, 02:41 AM

Members who have read this thread: 190

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.