Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho

Hello there,

I'm on a move from Epic to Scalpel-SI 2019.
    And can't wait....

Any info regarding the launch date?

and...

Do you guys think the rear shock will be Fox Float Performance with 3 positions (manual) or 2 positions (lockout) for high end models? How does it compare with RockShox Monarch XX?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bought my 2018 in September...so I would expect late August.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was able to test ride one of the Cannondale rep's personal Scalpel Si with a Lefty Ocho. His bike was set up with a three position Monarch shock without xloc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    I was able to test ride one of the Cannondale rep's personal Scalpel Si with a Lefty Ocho. His bike was set up with a three position Monarch shock without xloc.
    and???

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Team riders are using the Fox shock with remote lockout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yeah. I just spotted that setup. I rode a 2018 Carbon 4 model with Rockshox Monarch RL with manual lockout (Open/Lock). Needless to say open is really nice. But I found particularly insteresting in the Lock position. The shock blow out when needed. It had almost no diference to a specialized Epic with brain. I was stunned. Really. That's why I'm so curious. I know Fox in lock position, specially the DPS version, is really locked out. I seems that it requerias significantly higher impact to blow out.

Can't wait the ride it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Xloc with 3 positions looks very interesting. For XCM, I would like a Open/Pedal/Lock choice to ride mostly in Pedal positions.

How do you guys ride the Scalpel in XCM courses? mostly in the open mode?

I'm sorry for my curiosity. I came form 5 years on the Epic with brain. I rode Scalpel I found it much more equilibrated. In the Open mode, it had practically no bob, what let me very impressed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

I got a Spark 2018 and I must say the tree position remote lock is awesome. So if you can get one on your Scalpel I would definitely do that.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cris_gcmlli View Post

How do you guys ride the Scalpel in XCM courses? mostly in the open mode?
    I have '17 Scalpel Carbon 2 and mainly ride XCM courses. Suspension is open for the most part, unless I want to sprint or climb. Otherwise it's perfect just the way it is. Why would anyone want a 3 position lockout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Because in locked position on a Technical climb is not possible to climb and if the open setting is like on the spark you bob too much. The middle setting is perfect for this. But it depends really on your ride style and terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperGr View Post
    Because in locked position on a Technical climb is not possible to climb and if the open setting is like on the spark you bob too much. The middle setting is perfect for this. But it depends really on your ride style and terrain.

It really depends on the course and style, but in my experience if you climb, you want it locked all the way and there is no middle ground

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Nice to hear that you ride in open position most of the time.

Indeed, some bikes just bob a lot. Really a lot. Take the Spz Epic and leave the brain fade in open position...not possible. But then, suspension design can minimize that. I'm was so impressed when I first ride the Scalpel. I didn't understand why it didn't bob. At first, I thought shock pressure was too high.. but no!!! As there is almost no Scalpel bikes around me, this place is where I can discuss the point.

The lefty fork in lock mode will always be free to work within the sag. Right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    no...locked is locked..

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

From my understanding, lefty hybrid had full lockout, lefty 2.0 had firm for the locked position. I have a feeling it would also be firm instead of fully locked for the lefty ocho
    But I've only used the alloy lefty so far, not too sure about the xlr/carbon ones

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by guidodg View Post
    and???
    Sorry, this was intended as a direct response to the part of the original post asking about possible build specs for the 2019 Scalpel Si. I'm not a tech geek or gear reviewing blogger, but the Lefty Ocho seemed to me to be a sharp looking, smooth functioning front suspension system. It did everything that I would expect a quality fork to do. My issue with Lefty suspension is the lack of reliability and hassle of servicing everything that I owned after my 2012 booted Lefty. For this reason I an not on the market for one.

mtbr member
    My issue with Lefty suspension is the lack of reliability and hassle of servicing everything that I owned after my 2012 booted Lefty. For this reason I an not on the market for one.
    This is why I bought my '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 with the Sid. I considered the Carbon 1, but have heard the same as you about reliability. I have a 12' Flash Carbon with '12 XLR Carbon and it works well. Never had an issue with it.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Sorry, this was intended as a direct response to the part of the original post asking about possible build specs for the 2019 Scalpel Si. I'm not a tech geek or gear reviewing blogger, but the Lefty Ocho seemed to me to be a sharp looking, smooth functioning front suspension system. It did everything that I would expect a quality fork to do. My issue with Lefty suspension is the lack of reliability and hassle of servicing everything that I owned after my 2012 booted Lefty. For this reason I an not on the market for one.
    thanks John

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    This is why I bought my '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 with the Sid. I considered the Carbon 1, but have heard the same as you about reliability. I have a 12' Flash Carbon with '12 XLR Carbon and it works well. Never had an issue with it.
    I bought the same bike a few weeks ago. Aside from having to re-bleed the sprint lock after a few rides, I have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sure it wasn't the new rockshox deluxe rl? that has wire and not xx. i can atleast not find monarch without xloc for remote lock

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I heard the 2019 models are showing up on the dealer site today. Anyone have specs or pictures?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    I heard the 2019 models are showing up on the dealer site today. Anyone have specs or pictures?
    They are on dealer site. X01 model appears to be shipping next week. Team replica says October

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    They are on dealer site. X01 model appears to be shipping next week. Team replica says October
    WC model comes with Fox rear shock that is mechanically activated. No need for bleeding the hydraulics any more. Standard tapered steerer - can use standard stems. New 525 Enve wheels.

Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Shame it didnít get a new slacker frame like the New Fsi

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

http://www.bikecafe.org/prodotto/cannondale-scalpel-si-carbon-4-2019/

www.bikecafe.org has the 2019 scalpels
    The 2 looks mint
    4 looks affordable 😉
    www.bikecafe.org/prodotto/cannondale-scalpel-si-carbon-4-2019
    Cannondale Scalpel-Si Carbon 4 2019 - Bikecafe

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe/Products/ProductCategory.aspx?nid=3ff3dce5-257c-

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Reckon they'll kill of the Scalpel SE for 2019?

That was the most versatile bike in their lineup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Reckon they'll kill of the Scalpel SE for 2019?

That was the most versatile bike in their lineup.
    Not killed.

sock puppet

Not killed.

Took my Scalpel Ocho on a 50k trail ride today. This may be the best bike I have ever ridden. Cannondale improved it exactly as they should and the result is extremely fun bike to ride that is stiff, stable and controllable. Climbs like a boss especially technical climbs. Eats small to medium bumps with authority. This bike is everything itís hyped to be.
    #builtforxxc #empoweredbygears
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Took my Scalpel Ocho on a 50k trail ride today. This may be the best bike I have ever ridden. Cannondale improved it exactly as they should and the result is extremely fun bike to ride that is stiff, stable and controllable. Climbs like a boss especially technical climbs. Eats small to medium bumps with authority. This bike is everything itís hyped to be.
    #builtforxxc #empoweredbygears
    Is that black and neon yellow? With the lighting in that pic it looks like dark green which would be kinda cool if it was.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sock puppet
    Is that black and neon yellow? With the lighting in that pic it looks like dark green which would be kinda cool if it was.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Its not black. Itís dark green/gray. Much better looking in person than in pics
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Its not black. Itís dark green/gray. Much better looking in person than in pics
    Iím assuming thatís the Carbon 4 in the acid green colour considering that the rear shock is wihout a remote?

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Iím assuming thatís the Carbon 4 in the acid green colour considering that the rear shock is wihout a remote?

This is the Team version. Rear shock is Fox with remote lockout
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    This is the Team version. Rear shock is Fox with remote lockout
    Oh, my bad, couldnít see the cable housing. That is one sleek looking bike btw!

sock puppet
    Version 2.0 of the lefty fork is as reliable as any fork. As a matter of fact - on my 2018 Scalpel Si - it felt better than Sid XX on my Epic S-Works. I raced it full season without a single hitch. New Ocho is even better. It is negligibly heavier than the Fox SC but stiffer and smoother. I think itís one of the best forks on the market right now.
    Signature

sock puppet

Oh, my bad, couldnít see the cable housing. That is one sleek looking bike btw!

Yes it is. I still have the 2018 S-Works Epic and can compare them side by side. New Scalpel just might be the best bike I have ever ridden
    Signature

mtbr member
    Really nice bike thanks for all that info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yes it is. I still have the 2018 S-Works Epic and can compare them side by side. New Scalpel just might be the best bike I have ever ridden
    Ah, the hose was routed in a more stealthy manner, no wonder I did not notice it. The pictures from cannondale europe show the hose being more exposed, hence my mistaken assumption.
    I feel like selling my Habit now to make way for a scalpel!!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    Really nice bike thanks for all that info!
    First ride quick report:

Just finished a 50k ride. Oh my Ocho. The weight of this bike is in the ball park with (in my opinion) one of the best ever - the Epic. Iíve had an opportunity to ride both. For extended period of time. With all the improvements that Cannondale made to this bike, it might be the best bike I have ever ridden. Active suspension allows bike to roll forward, eliminating that bouncy feel that stiffer FS bikes bring with them. Spesh Brain needs a hit before it releases. Small bump sensitivity is not there. With new Scalpel the bike rolls forward eating all these small and medium bumps like they are not there, while Ocho fork keeps the front wheel firmly on the ground and in control. This is particularly obvious going up the technical hills. Allows me to stay in the saddle and hammer. Exactly what I need. The ride started with a very rocky and very tight section. I was tentative for 20 seconds and then I just let it go. It was awesome. The control, the stiffness, the traction. Bike was as responsive as anything Iíve ridden in the past but I could hit roots and rocks at higher speed and with more control. I will have the full review soon - but let me say it one more time: OH MY OCHO

#builtforxxc #ridecannondale #empoweredbygears

Signature

sock puppet
    Ah, the hose was routed in a more stealthy manner, no wonder I did not notice it. The pictures from cannondale europe show the hose being more exposed, hence my mistaken assumption.
    I feel like selling my Habit now to make way for a scalpel!!

Two different bikes... both excellent for intended purpose... but the Scalpel is something else for sure

Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Two different bikes... both excellent for intended purpose... but the Scalpel is something else for sure

Yeah, but with the inherent design problems of the habit (barely covered bearings, etc), I am thinking of going enduro and getting the scalpel as a 2nd bike.

sock puppet
    Yeah, but with the inherent design problems of the habit (barely covered bearings, etc), I am thinking of going enduro and getting the scalpel as a 2nd bike.

Thatíd be a killer combo for sure.

I have these two now though my S-Works is 2018

Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2018 Scalpel Si 4

First ride quick report:

Just finished a 50k ride. Oh my Ocho. The weight of this bike is in the ball park with (in my opinion) one of the best ever - the Epic. Iíve had an opportunity to ride both. For extended period of time. With all the improvements that Cannondale made to this bike, it might be the best bike I have ever ridden. Active suspension allows bike to roll forward, eliminating that bouncy feel that stiffer FS bikes bring with them. Spesh Brain needs a hit before it releases. Small bump sensitivity is not there. With new Scalpel the bike rolls forward eating all these small and medium bumps like they are not there, while Ocho fork keeps the front wheel firmly on the ground and in control. This is particularly obvious going up the technical hills. Allows me to stay in the saddle and hammer. Exactly what I need. The ride started with a very rocky and very tight section. I was tentative for 20 seconds and then I just let it go. It was awesome. The control, the stiffness, the traction. Bike was as responsive as anything Iíve ridden in the past but I could hit roots and rocks at higher speed and with more control. I will have the full review soon - but let me say it one more time: OH MY OCHO

Good information. Thanks. I have a brand new 2018 Scalpel Si 4 and LOVE it. Its my first Cannondale and my first Lefty and after 21 years of riding its by far the smoothest riding bike and fork I've ever ridden.

Am I upset I didn't get the Ocho? Yes, a little. But the 2.0 is still a great fork. I plan to ride this bike for a LONG time!
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    http://tricountymtb.org/
    Niner EMD 1x10 ~ Niner SIR9 SS ~ Cannondale Scalpel Si

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    Good information. Thanks. I have a brand new 2018 Scalpel Si 4 and LOVE it. Its my first Cannondale and my first Lefty and after 21 years of riding its by far the smoothest riding bike and fork I've ever ridden.

Am I upset I didn't get the Ocho? Yes, a little. But the 2.0 is still a great fork. I plan to ride this bike for a LONG time!
    I agree 2.0 is a great fork. Nothing on the market is smoother and stiffer than the Lefty right now
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The NEW 2019 Scalpel SE is on the cannondale USA website, itís in with the other Scalpels.
    Shame the geometry didnít get a redesign to match bikes like the SB100 or ORBEA Ozi ó- longer reach and a steeper seat tube is all it needed for me to buy one instead of the SB100, as Iím sure it would out climb the SB100. But Iím concerned with the 72 degree seat tube
    Anyone got one?

mtbr member
    I hate to ask the bike sizing question but looking to go with a new Cannondale Scalpel SI and it's very hard for me to tell whether to go Large or XL. I would love to find a local dealer but the old model is sold out and obviously the new one is not in stock yet. I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam which jacks the seatpost way up... Anyone out there in a similar situation that can provide some guidance??? thank you in advance!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22 View Post
    I hate to ask the bike sizing question but looking to go with a new Cannondale Scalpel SI and it's very hard for me to tell whether to go Large or XL. I would love to find a local dealer but the old model is sold out and obviously the new one is not in stock yet. I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam which jacks the seatpost way up... Anyone out there in a similar situation that can provide some guidance??? thank you in advance!
    I am 6í with 32Ē inseam. Large is perfect for me. Comes with 90mm stem and 0 setback seatpost. Iíll ping my contact for advice on your inquiry
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22 View Post
    Based on his educated guess - you are probably just in between, but suggestion is still Large. I tend do agree. With 110mm stem, 760mm wide bar and enough seatpost - L would give you killer nimble handling.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I am 6í with 32Ē inseam. Large is perfect for me. Comes with 90mm stem and 0 setback seatpost. Iíll ping my contact for advice on your inquiry
    I appreciate the quick feedback. Unfortunately, the different between 32" and 35" inseam is substantially different... Please let me know what advice your contact has.

mtbr member
    Based on his educated guess - you are probably just in between, but suggestion is still Large. I tend do agree. With 110mm stem, 760mm wide bar and enough seatpost - L would give you killer nimble handling.
    Thank your for the quick turnaround! I am leaning towards Large but hope to hear from anyone else that has has a similar dilemma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would go XL with such a long inseam...and I would never put a 110mm stem on the Scalpel in size L since it will make handling quite nervous..

Stick with an XL and standard stem

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by guidodg View Post
    I would go XL with such a long inseam...and I would never put a 110mm stem on the Scalpel in size L since it will make handling quite nervous..

Stick with an XL and standard stem
    I agree. Go XL. I have a friend who is 6'1" on an xl.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Any actual weights on the World Cup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm 191cm and bought L. After a few rides I decided that XL would be better for me. L is bearable with 100mm 20 * stem and almost fully extracted seatpost. But it's scary to ride downhill, I have a feeling bike wants to throw me over the handlebars ...

Sold it to my friend, he is 182cm.

And I'm not quite happy with Lefty 2.0 performance. Had to fine tune telescope / bushing / damper ... Excessive friction + fork packs down after rebound when it's in 'locked' mode. Took me MONTHS to wait untill work done. Had to pay for this from my own pocket.

Cannondale support in Russia is almost non existent.
    Last edited by otoko; 08-10-2018 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    First ride quick report:

Does fox shock performs better than the rockshox in the 2017-2018 models?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thatíd be a killer combo for sure.

I have these two now though my S-Works is 2018

Any info on the weight of that setup you tested??
    Thanks!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by portobear14 View Post
    Any info on the weight of that setup you tested??
    Thanks!

22.5 with pedals
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does the shock cable housing hit/rub the frame when the shock is compressed? Looks like the housing would rub where it enters the frame.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    Does the shock cable housing hit/rub the frame when the shock is compressed? Looks like the housing would rub where it enters the frame.
    I was thinking about it as well, and put some 3M film on the shock bit it is not rubbing nor making any rattling sound
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Any updates on delivery dates for the WC?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    WC should be available the end of October. I took delivery on my HM 1 Friday. Headed out now to test it.
    2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-img_3853.jpg2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-img_3854.jpg2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-img_3855.jpg2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-img_3856.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    All finished. Gotta say the Ocho is most definitely more light rider friendly. Was always difficult to get Lefty set up just right for me (135lbs). Took out volume spacers, lighter oil. Just couldnít get the right mix of small and large bump performance. Ocho is much easier to dial for both now. Just incredible upgrade in performance over the <8 leftys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    All finished. Gotta say the Ocho is most definitely more light rider friendly. Was always difficult to get Lefty set up just right for me (135lbs). Took out volume spacers, lighter oil. Just couldnít get the right mix of small and large bump performance. Ocho is much easier to dial for both now. Just incredible upgrade in performance over the <8 leftys.

Great looking bike you have there! The black with silver decals is one of my favorite colour schemes.

Do you have a weight of the complete build including pedals? Im on an FSi at the moment and considering the 2019 Scalpel for next year (waiting for XTR builds though). Hoping the weight penalty isn't too great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've just ordered a HM1, love the black/chrome. Would be great to know the weight (stock trauma-md) and upgraded with hollowgram/enve (daveinaus).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I've just ordered a HM1, love the black/chrome. Would be great to know the weight (stock trauma-md) and upgraded with hollowgram/enve (daveinaus).
    Hollowgram/Enve XX1 build: 22.06lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Soon to be Cannondale owner

Hi Folks,
    Iím new to this forum. Hello!!!! I usually ride on the roads with a carbon recumbent....
    Due to the extreme heat this summer I have started mountain biking with my ?1995 Schwinn Moab hardtail. Due to my advanced age, 57, I decided to get a more comfortable performance XC bike. I chose the Scalpel carbon 4. It is on order and I should get delivery later this week. I am really enjoying the mountain biking and looking forward to a smoother bike that still climbs. Thank you for all the information on these forums.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm having a difficult time finding US pricing online for the 2019 Scalpels. Any suggestion?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Great choice! Such a great bike.

@ToastR. The US website is the only Cannondale website that does list price.
    https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...4-3e92b71c19d0

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thank you Aussie_yeti.
    Hopefully years of enjoyable riding with no mechanical issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

@ToastR. The US website is the only Cannondale website that does list price.
    https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...4-3e92b71c19d0
    Thanks!
    For some reason - on my phone - the US site wasn't showing pricing. Weird. Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Has anyone had Q-factor issues when using the custom ai sram / truvativ cranks on their scalpel? One reviewer elsewhere found it a big issue.

I've ordered an 2019 carbon 4 that is due within ten(ish) days as far as we know and i was just wondering.
    Last edited by (R)AdelaideXC; 08-30-2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GJSnow View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Iím new to this forum. Hello!!!! I usually ride on the roads with a carbon recumbent....
    Due to the extreme heat this summer I have started mountain biking with my ?1995 Schwinn Moab hardtail. Due to my advanced age, 57, I decided to get a more comfortable performance XC bike. I chose the Scalpel carbon 4. It is on order and I should get delivery later this week. I am really enjoying the mountain biking and looking forward to a smoother bike that still climbs. Thank you for all the information on these forums.
    Nice choice!!! Enjoy the new ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thank you Tgoods!
    Picking her up today!
    Very Excited.
    Iím looking forward to hearing your thoughts Adelaide on your new Carbon 4.
    GJSnow

sock puppet
    After spending some time with my new Cannondale Scalpel WC Hi-Mod I can now articulate a few observations for those who are wondering what all the buzz is about.

It is different. The first reaction after seeing Ocho lefty fork was: Whaaa? Then the mandatory visual check of the fork and the rest of the bike started, followed by the weight check by lifting it off the ground. Wow, the first feeling was Ė this is light. It indeed is light, but more importantly, it is now well balanced. In my previous lives I was privileged to own many high end bikes, including few manufacturing years of Specialized Epic S-Works, which I considered one of the best XC racing bikes ever, as well as 2018 Scalpel Si Team Ė the predecessor to this new Scalpel with Ocho fork. I had a few items on the wish list for the 2018 Scalpel to improve on. And then came the Ocho. And that was just the beginning. It was uncanny to see all the good changes that Cannondale executed on this bike. Every wish I had for this bike, was granted Ė and then some.

Ocho fork shaved some 250g off the weight of the Lefty 2.0, losing none of itís stiffness and smoothness. This is exactly what the doctor prescribed. On the trails bike now feels more balanced, surefooted and stable. It tracks corners with more authority and eats up small bumps like no other bike. Handlebar is positioned low enough, right out of the box and makes climbing and cornering more natural, even without stem replacement. Speaking of stem Ė it is a standard stem now. One can use any standard stem available on the market. Thatís awesome Ė as customizing the bike to oneís liking is now easier than ever. But really, there is no need to replace the stem. Cannondale stem is light Ė 110g for 90mm. Lighter than, say, Enve at 100mm (120g). Yes Ė I tried Enve 100mm to extend the cockpit, as I thought that it was a bit too short out of the box (cockpit is about 7cm shorter than my ďstandardĒ setup). I lowered the bar by about 2cm and extended the stem by 1cm to 100mm. On the following ride I felt that bike lost a bit of itís smoothness and become just a bit jerky in corners. 90mm stem went back on and handlebar went up by 5mm (one spacer was moved back on the steerer). Being just slightly more upright with body position Ė yields better control, smoother cornering and more stability going down the hill. Hint Ė I would be very cautious to extend the stem again Ė it will change the steering Ė in my opinion for the worse.

Rear shock, thank you Sant:
    Fox Float Factory DPS with Kashima coating. Mechanical lockout, together with the fork. When it suspension is locked, it feels definite and exact. Way better feeling and effectiveness compared to hydraulic lockout. The shock works well, with signature Fox characteristics Ė smooth and easily adjustable. It is easy to fine tune front and rear end to work in sync and feel balanced. Pedaling up the hill did not feel mushy and suspension remained active on technical rooty or rocky ascents, as well as smooth and in control on any descent. Both front and rear end ate small bumps with ease. I am yet to ride a fork that is better at small bump compliance. Ocho is the buzz of the crowd.

Some MTB riders still have impression that Lefty forks are unreliable and require a lot of maintenance. I can not speak of versions prior to Lefty 2.0, but Lefty 2.0 gave me reliable performance during the full season, without a single glitch. With needle bearings handling the movement Ė this fork is silky smooth and very adjustable. Ocho felt the same and better Ė due to less weight. Another great change for the better is Schrader valve that has been angled to the side Ė so that it is much easier to use shock pump to adjust the pressure in the fork, compared to the previous design where it was facing the ground and it was not that easy to thread the pump to it.

One of the issues in the past was the front wheel removal Ė where it was required to remove brake caliper in order to release the brake disc before the wheel could be removed. This process required removal of 2 bolts. No more. New ďStop-LockĒ quick release requires only press of the button and 180 degrees turn with the alan key Ė and caliper is off in a heartbeat, as well as the wheel. Excellent upgrade.

New Enve 525 wheels are a bit lighter than their predecessor M50, but feel quite livelier accelerating out of the corner. They are dressed up in new Schwalbe Racing Ray Ė front specific tire and new Racing Ralph in the back. Schwalbe also addressed big issues with their side knob flexibility and cracking, making side knobs laterally longer and less tall. First impression of this tire combo is excellent and kudos to Cannondale for implementing this combo on their top of the line bike.

Cannondale 760mm wide bar is impressive and this time I am not shortening it. Love the feeling of the wide bar and it really feels like it needs to be that wide in order to shred the course on this bike at maximum speed. Except at Hardwood. Yes, THOSE two trees.

The sum of all these small and big improvements, and previously proven technology yielded the bike that may very well be the best bike I have ever ridden. It is truly #builtforxxc. Extreme Cross Country. Quite capable in the most technical sections of the trail but equally as fun going down the buffed singletrack or climbing gnarly climbs. It is very nimble and handles tight singletrack with great maneuverability. Going down fast was inducing stupid grin on my face. While on vacation without it Ė I couldnít wait to ride it again.

In size Large, and with light pedals Ė this bike tilts the scale at 22.5 pounds, stock. This is on par with my previous favourite Ė Specialized Epic S-Works. Scalpel can do everything that Epic can do, but it feels like it is more fun. While Epic is fast, it is also on the harsh side. Nothing is harsh about Scalpel demeanor. Instead of requiring a good hit to release the shock (Epic), Scalpel just eats them without a sweat and keeps going forward, without that speed reducing harshness and vertical movement.

With the green/dark gray colour scheme Ė Scalpel WC looks gorgeous and is a definite attention grabber. Taking everything into account, it is my current favourite and well deserving of all the buzz out there. Scalpel WC Hi-Mod is a game changer. But donít believe me. Go and demo one ASAP. If you are lucky enough to find one.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great review! Curious about your time on the 2.0. Did you ever try to fine tune it by taking out a volume reducer for better small bump sensitivity? How often did you do bearing resets? Have you had to do resets on the Ocho? Can you compare the rear Fox shock with the Monarch?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jschoef View Post
    Great review! Curious about your time on the 2.0. Did you ever try to fine tune it by taking out a volume reducer for better small bump sensitivity? How often did you do bearing resets? Have you had to do resets on the Ocho? Can you compare the rear Fox shock with the Monarch?
    for better small bump sensitivity you need to add a volume reducer, not take one out....this will allow you to use a lower pressure and make the spring rate more progressive and less linear

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GJSnow View Post
    Thank you Tgoods!
    Picking her up today!
    Very Excited.
    Iím looking forward to hearing your thoughts Adelaide on your new Carbon 4.
    GJSnow
    I'm looking forward to mine too - they are supposed to arrive late in Australia even though the new Jekyls ect... have arrived. Apparently the scalpels (or mine at least) and i guess the FSIs arrive on the 26th

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Carbon 4

anyone had much time on a carbon 4? any thoughts / impressions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hi Adelaide and all,
    I received my Carbon 4 about two weeks or so. Remember, Iím coming out of a 20 year old HT Schwinn Moab with 26 tires. Iím not an experienced mountain rider. Iíve switched this year due to the heat during the summer making the roads intolerable..
    The new bike feels bigger but still inspires confidence. It is as smooth as silk and most notably, seems to climb better. I am able to spend more time in the seat compared to the HT due to the rear suspension. Almost never use or need the front lockout. On my maiden voyage, on an easy single track with virtually no obstacles and relatively flat, I flew over the handlebars! Just minor wrist soreness thankfully. I looked at the ground after landing and there was nothing! I was moving along at a good pace. Could I have locked the front brake? A hidden stump?? Donít know. Iím much more aware now and I really try to balance myself better. Iím 57, but thatís no excuse. (LOL).
    The fit and finish on the bike is excellent. The only issue other than the novice rider, is a squeak coming from the front hub which I will bring back to the local bike shop this week.
    Iím enjoying the ride greatly. The type of exercise is much different than rode biking. More short bursts of intense exercise on the climbs. It is a thrill!!
    GJSnow

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Pardon my spelling!!!!!! Rode??? Road!!!
    Sorry
    GJSnow

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The squeak is usually just a plastic washer which is a seal rubbing the bearing.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by jschoef View Post
    The squeak is usually just a plastic washer which is a seal rubbing the bearing.
    And it went away on mine
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    has anyone tried externally routing a dropper to a scalpel and if so - how

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by (R)AdelaideXC View Post
    Why would you? Not hard to do internal at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Why would you? Not hard to do internal at all.
    i like switching between dropper and static quickly as some of Adelaide's race courses do not need droppers (they can even get in the way)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by (R)AdelaideXC View Post
    I suppose this might work?
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-So...n-Cable-Guides

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rocksh...st-reverb.html

Surely this will be out around Sea Otter next year. Maybe just live without for half a year then buy this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rocksh...st-reverb.html

Surely this will be out around Sea Otter next year. Maybe just live without for half a year then buy this?
    that is a good thought but i already have a reverb. i'm just not sure whether to rout via the tt or the dt and up the st.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wondering if C'Dale are going to release any XTR 1x12 builds for 2019? Otherwise I might just wait until next year for the 2020 models and a (potentially) updated frame geo.

Happy with the FSi for the time being but wanting to go full squish in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinaus View Post
    Wondering if C'Dale are going to release any XTR 1x12 builds for 2019? Otherwise I might just wait until next year for the 2020 models and a (potentially) updated frame geo.

Happy with the FSi for the time being but wanting to go full squish in the future.

From what I know, all Scalpel-Si this year come with SRAM eagle groupsets, the lower end models are getting the NX if Iím not mistaken.

mtbr member

You are not giving up anything with the SRAM Eagle groups. My '18 Carbon 2 has Eagle XO1 and it works awesome. I wouldn't look at it as a down grade.

sock puppet
    You are not giving up anything with the SRAM Eagle groups. My '18 Carbon 2 has Eagle XO1 and it works awesome. I wouldn't look at it as a down grade.
    It absolutely is not a downgrade. Itís better than the fishing equipment manufacturer product
    Signature

mtbr member
    It absolutely is not a downgrade. Itís better than the fishing equipment manufacturer product
    That is my feeling as well! Only thing I don't like about my Carbon 2 is the SID fork. I think my '12 XLR Carbon Lefty is more plush than the SID.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ok, doesn't really answer my question though. Not sure how you can judge a groupset you haven't ridden either. It appears to be good enough for C'Dales world cup riders. Pretty sure Avancini just won the XCM World Champs on an XTR 1x12 equipped Scalpel Si.

Anyway, wasn't supposed to be a Sram vs Shimano debate. It seems Avancini, Marotte and Fumic are all riding the XTR 1x12 groupset but it's not actually offered on any of their 2019 builds. Makes me think that it might be offered as a "mid season " update to the range at some point once availability from Shimano has been sorted out.

mtbr member

Anyway, wasn't supposed to be a Sram vs Shimano debate. It seems Avancini, Marotte and Fumic are all riding the XTR 1x12 groupset but it's not actually offered on any of their 2019 builds. Makes me think that it might be offered as a "mid season " update to the range at some point once availability from Shimano has been sorted out.

They are using it more than likely because Shimano is just this seasons sponsor. They were using Eagle stuff last season. Hopefully they will come out with a model that suits your needs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ok, doesn't really answer my question though. Not sure how you can judge a groupset you haven't ridden either. It appears to be good enough for C'Dales world cup riders. Pretty sure Avancini just won the XCM World Champs on an XTR 1x12 equipped Scalpel Si.
    There will be a limited edition XTR 1x12 Scalpel released this fall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-fa0f5c2a-f307-454f-874b-b813ba853dca.jpg  

sock puppet
    That is my feeling as well! Only thing I don't like about my Carbon 2 is the SID fork. I think my '12 XLR Carbon Lefty is more plush than the SID.
    Anything is more plush than the SID
    Signature

sock puppet
    They are using it more than likely because Shimano is just this seasons sponsor. They were using Eagle stuff last season. Hopefully they will come out with a model that suits your needs.
    Exactly. Both are totally fine but I prefer SRAM any day or night. Never let me down. And eTap is awesome. But that is another boardís topic

You will be 100% happy with SRAM. Guaranteed. I will offer you persona money back guarantee
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply, now I just need to pray the importer bothers to bring them Australia I spy a 12spd compatible spidering on that build as well...

Where'd that screen grab come from though? Can't see it on the C'Dale website.

There will be a limited edition XTR 1x12 Scalpel released this fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Haha, alright alright I get it you love SRAM. Ill tell you what, if you pitch in say 50% of the asking price for the World Cup spec. build then I'll relent and go with the Eagle group set instead.

sock puppet
    Haha, alright alright I get it you love SRAM. Ill tell you what, if you pitch in say 50% of the asking price for the World Cup spec. build then I'll relent and go with the Eagle group set instead.

Just like mine?
    Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast