Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sure! Ill take it of your hands for USD5000 tomorrow

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinaus View Post
    Sure! Ill take it of your hands for USD5000 tomorrow
    Maybe when I get my FSi WC in December. Actually no. Iíll keep both...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Good answer! I doubt I would sell my FSi either. It's just too good to part ways with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply, now I just need to pray the importer bothers to bring them Australia I spy a 12spd compatible spidering on that build as well...

Where'd that screen grab come from though? Can't see it on the C'Dale website.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    https://bikerumor.com/2018/09/03/201...le-crown-fork/

https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/ind...roduct_id=8338

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Scalpels have landed in Australia - mine arrives in Adelaide from the distributor on Thursday but i don't know about the new xtr build.

mtbr member
    I would like to know when the scalpel is going boost? Then the wheels would be swappable between the fsi and scalpel

Evolution Training Cycles

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    I would like to know when the scalpel is going boost? Then the wheels would be swappable between the fsi and scalpel

Yeah I was wondering the same... shame that I can not do it now
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by (R)AdelaideXC View Post
    Scalpels have landed in Australia - mine arrives in Adelaide from the distributor on Thursday but i don't know about the new xtr build.
    Do you know that they have Scalpel Si carbon 1?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel226 View Post
    Do you know that they have Scalpel Si carbon 1?
    Sorry i don't - i do know that the only xl carbon 4 has arrived and i guess all the others should have
    your local c'dale dealer should know

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry i don't - i do know that the only xl carbon 4 has arrived and i guess all the others should have
    your local c'dale dealer should know
    Thanks mate! Post some pics of your new bike later on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post

Just like mine?
    How come I'm seeing some of the new Scalpel's with the rear shock mounted backwards? Can it be mounted in either direction?

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by biffhamilton View Post
    How come I'm seeing some of the new Scalpel's with the rear shock mounted backwards? Can it be mounted in either direction?
    Yes it can. This direction makes more sense. Look at WC scalpels. Same as this.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Maybe has to do with whether remote lockout is in use. More exposed cable if body end attached to ST.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    Maybe has to do with whether remote lockout is in use. More exposed cable if body end attached to ST.
    I like it this way better. Much easier to access the rebound dial
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I like it this way better. Much easier to access the rebound dial
    Your approach (the way yours is in the pic) def looks cleaner/sleeker

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cool....thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hey guys, qq from a newbie...thinking of investing in the fall xtr edition but got two concerns...1. The hollowgram wheel set seems too light/ narrow and flex for my 84kgs of love muscle, had been hooking for the Enve's (but they're only on the wc edition). This would be my one bike, so needs to be able to cope with a bit of trail and some rougher stuff vs pure xc.Thoughts or experiences with the wheel set, weight, longevity, issues...? 2. Any strong views on the cannondale hollowgram crank/ chain ring combo with rest of XTR? Would have expected full xtr drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamullerman View Post
    Hey guys, qq from a newbie...thinking of investing in the fall xtr edition but got two concerns...1. The hollowgram wheel set seems too light/ narrow and flex for my 84kgs of love muscle, had been hooking for the Enve's (but they're only on the wc edition). This would be my one bike, so needs to be able to cope with a bit of trail and some rougher stuff vs pure xc.Thoughts or experiences with the wheel set, weight, longevity, issues...? 2. Any strong views on the cannondale hollowgram crank/ chain ring combo with rest of XTR? Would have expected full xtr drivetrain.
    I do not have any experience with the wheels but the cranks are the same as i have on my road bike and they are super stiff and really light. In effect they are equal to or better than the xtr cranks. It probably hasn't been stocked with the xtr cranks because they have not been made to fit the AI chainstays.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I weigh 175 at my heaviest and ride Crest MK3 with 23 Internal Width and I dont have a problem. I would think the Hollowgram are stiffer being carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    cheers (R), think the crank "non-issue" is resolved. undecided about the wheelset- had some feedback that they're quite a lot more flexible than the enve'sÖÖ.Anyway, 1st world problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    cheers, good input

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    Just finished building my scalpel 4
    Very happy.
    Looks black in the pics but is actually a grey/ black gloss finish.
    Very nice.
    Yes itís not standard,just took the groupset and wheels across from my previous scalpel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-914f5803-4c9f-49d0-80fc-20ed47f65451.jpeg  

2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-c90a3968-cdd5-4e11-834e-686b085e47c5.jpeg  

2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-2df896cc-a3c7-48b7-82b4-073851fc3c9a.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just came off a 2018 with M50 Enves to a 2019 Carbon 1 with Hollowgrams. I'm 73kg and do not notice a difference with the Hollowgrams on some pretty rough terrain(just finished Marji Gesick). That being said the 2018 has narrower rims than the new WC has, which I have not ridden. I just couldn't justify the added expense for the WC. I did put the 54t star ratchet upgrade into the Hollowgram set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Damn! That is hot. Lefty Ocho doesnt seem to be available for purchase yet though. Would be a shame to build it up with a conventional fork

sock puppet
    Damn! That is hot. Lefty Ocho doesnt seem to be available for purchase yet though. Would be a shame to build it up with a conventional fork
    Yes it would
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Carbon 4 First (and second) ride review

Hi all,

I received my carbon 4 on Friday last week after a bit of a bungle by Monza Imports and I love it. The guys in the bike store were just about foaming at the mouth looking at it.
    On the first ride of mainly XC and flow single track with some bitumen and a teeny bit of gravel i realized just how good this thing pedals, i only found myself reaching for the rear lockout when things got sloggy. I found the recommended shock settings just about right for the rear shock although i prefer it a little harder. I also really like the lefty - it is a great improvement to what was on my previous bike, silky smooth and i found it tracked really well. I did find the recommended pressure setting to be about 40psi too soft giving me about 45% sag and making me bottom out on a smallish 1m high - high speed drop - i soon pumped it up to 150psi (25% sag) and have had no problems. I find having only front lockout great as it allows for grip at the rear but keeps the front end stable when standing climbing. I also did not notice the missing stanchion.
    This bike really shreds, I was getting strava PRs galore whilst not pushing it that hard. I rarely wanted to put a dropper post in as compared with my previous Spark as it never seemed to want to buck me off like I was used to. And, to top it all off it this bike is really agile.
    The second ride I did today - a mix of fire tracks and yellow roads as well as some single track totaling nearly 40km with 730mrs elevation. I really appreciated the ability to carry two bottles as it is starting to warm up here in South Australia slightly (around 26-28 degrees - not hot at all as we get up to 45degrees in full summer - we are only in spring) but it was very sunny (the sun is strong here) so it made for a bit of a slog. I do find it a bit of a tight fit with a 550ml bottle on the seat tube mount with the bottle just fitting under the linkage/shock. I was not able to push the bike much because i was nearly hunger flatting and nursing a sprained (maybe slightly fractured) wrist but was able to appreciate this bike's climbing ability amidst all my suffering.
    Now onto the drivetrain. This is the first bike i have ridden with sram and also with 1x. I did find the shifting of the NX pod to GX mech to NX cassette to be quite crisp but there were some small issues with accuracy. I didn't expect 1x to be quite so indiferent from 2x. I did not find myself searching for gears like i had feared or running out of range. the key benefit to 1x i felt was purely the better chain security, especially with the MRP guide that is fitted to just about any 1x bike that gets itself shipped to Australia due to an ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Comission) ruling that all bikes imported must have a front derailleur or some sort of chain guide.
    I really love this bike and will post an update when i try fitting my dropper. Also i did experience a hub noise like others have mentioned but it seems to be going away.
    2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-mysalp.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Glad you are enjoying your new wheels, Adelaide!!
    I got a carbon 4 and love it! I certainly donít ride like you guys but I hope to be able to increase my ability and stamina over time.
    I struggle with the second water bottle and have decided to go the camelback route.
    Itís different but water is on hand so easily. Also, my bike shop was able to lube away the noise from the front hub.... No worries if it doesnít disappear.
    Enjoy and ride safely!
    GJSnow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Could someone verify if I am understanding this correctly? It looks to me that only the HM WC and HM 1 specify the Ocho Carbon. (US website).
    Is it true, then, that the Carbon 2 and down do not have the Carbon Ocho since it doesn't say Ocho "Carbon"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ...I really love this bike and will post an update when i try fitting my dropper...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mysalp.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	1218793
    Thanks for posting your ride and thoughts. It sounds awesome!

What dropper are you thinking of using?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have an external 125mm reverb that i can change to quicly and remove quickly

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

ocho weight

Had the Ocho off my scalpel yesterday so I threw it on the scale. 1400g
    2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-img_3961.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    Had the Ocho off my scalpel yesterday so I threw it on the scale. 1400g

Name:	IMG_3961.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	1218932
    Is that a carbon or alloy ocho? I can't tell it looks like it is of a HM 1 or Carbon 4

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Is that a carbon or alloy ocho? I can't tell it looks like it is of a HM 1 or Carbon 4
    You're right, Carbon off of HM1

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    When the Ocho becomes available a la carte, will it be pretty straightforward to fit it to a 2018 Scalpel? It looks like at least a headset cup spacer on the 2019 would need to come off, anything else?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have a Xloc Full Sprint lockout, you will need to either modify the remote or replace the remote for the rear shock. If you want a 1 button lockout, you will have to replace the rear shock with the fox version.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks jschoef - good to know - hadn't considered that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    When the Ocho becomes available a la carte, will it be pretty straightforward to fit it to a 2018 Scalpel? It looks like at least a headset cup spacer on the 2019 would need to come off, anything else?
    You would need new spacers, stem and top cap as well as a new headset to accommodate the standard 1'1/2 - 1'1/8 inch tapered steerer in the lefty Ocho as compared to the original 1'1/2 inch non tapered steerer on the Lefty 2.0

Also lockout is an issue, if you have a carbon 4 from 2018 you can fit an ocho straightaway (in terms of lockout), otherwise in higher models you would need two separate levers to control front and rear lockout or, as pointed out by jchoef you can get a 2 position Push to Unlock (PTU) fox shock - only available aftermarket i believe in kashima coat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Could someone verify if I am understanding this correctly? It looks to me that only the HM WC and HM 1 specify the Ocho Carbon. (US website).
    Is it true, then, that the Carbon 2 and down do not have the Carbon Ocho since it doesn't say Ocho "Carbon"?
    Hey ToastR - I donít think anyone replied to your question.. and as you am a tad disappointed as well, the Carbon Ocho is only on the High Mod Frames which will now include the Shimano Limited Edition coming out soon.

Can you believe, here in Canada the Carbon 1ís are all sold out already?! I went to place to check on availability at my LBS (have a contact there) so we called it up online to check and sold out - so he sent a message to the rep and yup, done for the year

Considering I just managed to get the wife to agree to the price of the Carbon 1, she pretty much tuned me out when I mentioned the Limited Ed Shimano... Looks like Iím getting a Carbon 2.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

sock puppet

2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho

I feel for you. Here is a pic of the WC to at least enjoy someone elseís bike

If I can only figure out how to post a pic on my mobile phone
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ahhhh... thanks! But even your pic didnít come through!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

If I can only figure out how to post a pic on my mobile phone
    Use Tapatalk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Use Tapatalk?

I do
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I do
    Thatís weird. For iOS thereís an icon for attaching images.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Thatís weird. For iOS thereís an icon for attaching images.

Not working for me
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks~

Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Hey ToastR - I donít think anyone replied to your question.. and as you am a tad disappointed as well, the Carbon Ocho is only on the High Mod Frames which will now include the Shimano Limited Edition coming out soon.

Can you believe, here in Canada the Carbon 1ís are all sold out already?! I went to place to check on availability at my LBS (have a contact there) so we called it up online to check and sold out - so he sent a message to the rep and yup, done for the year

Considering I just managed to get the wife to agree to the price of the Carbon 1, she pretty much tuned me out when I mentioned the Limited Ed Shimano... Looks like Iím getting a Carbon 2.
    Hey Osteo - thanks for noticing! Although not finding an easy answer here led me to do more research - which isn't all bad I guess But I was disappointed to find precisely what you mention above - its only on the Hi-Mods.
    Sorry to hear about the high demand for Carbon 1's up North!
    I think I'm gonna wait til they make the Ocho available and make a decision then.
    Well, at least since the wife committed to a Carbon 1 you should get plenty of points for getting the less expensive option Be sure to share the pics - the WC and C2 are my favorite colourways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You would need new spacers, stem and top cap as well as a new headset to accommodate the standard 1'1/2 - 1'1/8 inch tapered steerer in the lefty Ocho as compared to the original 1'1/2 inch non tapered steerer on the Lefty 2.0

Also lockout is an issue, if you have a carbon 4 from 2018 you can fit an ocho straightaway (in terms of lockout), otherwise in higher models you would need two separate levers to control front and rear lockout or, as pointed out by jchoef you can get a 2 position Push to Unlock (PTU) fox shock - only available aftermarket i believe in kashima coat.
    Thanks (R) for this in-depth response - its super helpful!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    All finished. Gotta say the Ocho is most definitely more light rider friendly. Was always difficult to get Lefty set up just right for me (135lbs). Took out volume spacers, lighter oil. Just couldnít get the right mix of small and large bump performance. Ocho is much easier to dial for both now. Just incredible upgrade in performance over the <8 leftys.

Have you changed the rear shock with nomral lockout? what's the size of the Fox Shock? Manual showed that it was 190mm x 45mm, but I measured the stroke, it's about 51mm, if I want to get a new Fox Shock, what size I should get? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Have you changed the rear shock with nomral lockout? what's the size of the Fox Shock? Manual showed that it was 190mm x 45mm, but I measured the stroke, it's about 51mm, if I want to get a new Fox Shock, what size I should get? Thanks
    Yes I did swap for the manual lockout Fox, it is 190x51mm and fits absolutely fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Yes I did swap for the manual lockout Fox, it is 190x51mm and fits absolutely fine.
    So it means different shock manufacturers have different shock measurement nowadays? FOX 190 x 51mm is same as RS Monarch XX 190 x 45mm in reality? I am a bit confused. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So, my Carbon 2 is on order and should be arriving soon!!! Woohoo!! Thanks osokolo for the teasing picís (I went back to Pg 1 and saw yours!).

Curious to the weight difference between the Hi-Mod/Carbon Ocho bikes (WC or Carbon 1) and the Carbon 2.

Osokolo posted his WC weighed 22.5lbs with pedals, anyone have a Large Carbon 2 they can weigh?

Thanks
    D

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If I want to upgrade the 2017 Scalpel Si frame with Ocho, then I need to get a cable-lock rear FOX shock, however, I find that the lockout cable routing on the shock is reserve, facing another side. Doesn't like the one in the picture shown. Anyone knows that the routing part can be turned to another side? Or does FOX make one like this? thanks

2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-fox-shock.jpg

mtbr member
    So, my Carbon 2 is on order and should be arriving soon!!! Woohoo!! Thanks osokolo for the teasing picís (I went back to Pg 1 and saw yours!).

Curious to the weight difference between the Hi-Mod/Carbon Ocho bikes (WC or Carbon 1) and the Carbon 2.

Osokolo posted his WC weighed 22.5lbs with pedals, anyone have a Large Carbon 2 they can weigh?

Thanks
    D
    I've weighed a 2019 Scalpel-Si Carbon 2 in medium and that was 24.1lbs without pedals and cages. Pretty good weight for that build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Copenhagen View Post
    I've weighed a 2019 Scalpel-Si Carbon 2 in medium and that was 24.1lbs without pedals and cages. Pretty good weight for that build.
    Perfect, thanks Copenhagen!
    D

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Can you explain about the lefty setup? have an 2018 lefty. 69kg, 100 PSI .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1lb less then what Cannondale states on their site. I wonder if they made a mistake on the weight of the 2 and 3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jschoef View Post
    1lb less then what Cannondale states on their site. I wonder if they made a mistake on the weight of the 2 and 3.
    Which Cannondale website states weights?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Usa

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Stamler View Post
    Can you explain about the lefty setup? have an 2018 lefty. 69kg, 100 PSI .
    yeah, the recommended settings are way too low - i'm 65kg and am at around 150psi for 25% sag - the knob on top help to make it harder for really rough trails but the recommended rebound settings are good

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    All the M size World Cup and Hi-Mod 1 builds are sold out so Im test riding a Scalpel in size L next week. I'm 6.0' with fairly long legs so not really concerned about the stack height, its almost exactly the same as my M F-Si but I am a bit worried that the reach is going to be just that little bit too long.

Anyone else on a L frame and if so whats your height and inseam?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    All the M size World Cup and Hi-Mod 1 builds are sold out so Im test riding a Scalpel in size L next week. I'm 6.0' with fairly long legs so not really concerned about the stack height, its almost exactly the same as my M F-Si but I am a bit worried that the reach is going to be just that little bit too long.

Thanks in advance!
    My previous ride was a Lg F-29 and I bought a Lg carbon 2. I am 5' 11.5" w/ a 32" inseam. Both bikes feel very comfortable to me and I don't feel stretched on either of them. I think you will be fine.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thanks in advance!
    6'0"
    33" inseam on a large

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The $1k price difference between the Scalpel 1 and Scalpel 2 makes the Scalpel 1 well worth the extra (at least it is 1k here in Canada), which I would imagine is why they all sold out so fast. Daveinaus - Iím guessing you are in Australia? Guess it is not only Canada they are sold out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks guys, makes a bit more confident about "sizing up". Yep I'm in Australia and they obviously under estimated the demand, thankfully there are large frames still in stock. The price diff between the WC and the Hi-Mod 1 is pretty tough to justify so I'm probably leaning towards the Hi-Mod 1 at this stage but if I can get a really good deal on the WC I might just drop the extra $$$ and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    1,78cm with 87cm inseam and I ride an L [i put an 80mm stem on]

the M Scalpel just felt too small and the seatpost was extended too far out on the frame for my inseam

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    so the Ocho touches underneath the frame...scary in a fall

2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-img_1156.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quick question for you guys... the rear assymetrical wheel, is it the rim or the hub (+ lacing) that makes it assymetrical?

Thanks
    D

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quick question for you guys... the rear assymetrical wheel, is it the rim or the hub (+ lacing) that makes it assymetrical?
    None of the above, it's just the dishing. Pretty much any non AI wheel can be made AI by dishing the rim over to NDS by adjusting then evening the spoke tension.

https://cannondale.zendesk.com/hc/en...c-Integration-

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by guidodg View Post
    so the Ocho touches underneath the frame...scary in a fall

Name:	IMG_1156.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	1223927
    Dang, I just checked my large and sure enough it just barely hits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    None of the above, it's just the dishing. Pretty much any non AI wheel can be made AI by dishing the rim over to NDS by adjusting then evening the spoke tension.

https://cannondale.zendesk.com/hc/en...c-Integration-
    Thanks Howards and for the link! Knew I would get a faster and more informed answer here!
    D

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think the new FS-i designed in conjunction with the Ocho has a stop in the headset to prevent the fork from hitting the frame in case of a fall

The Scalpel-Si does not have this...probably the 2020 model will....but it seems a serious oversight on Cannondales part

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think the new FS-i designed in conjunction with the Ocho has a stop in the headset to prevent the fork from hitting the frame in case of a fall

The Scalpel-Si does not have this...probably the 2020 model will....but it seems a serious oversight on Cannondales part
    I wonder if that is a part we can order? A buddy of mine rides the Hi-Mod 1, and works at the LBS and is buddysí with the Rep, will see if I can find some info...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

According to my buddy, all the bikes with the Ochoís should have that stop in the headset, maybe it needs to be set or adjusted?

Alas, I donít have my bike in my grubby hands yet to check.

D

mtbr member

my Lefty clears the frame on a med wc fsi and has no headset stop. My girlfriend has the xsmall carbon 2 and she has a stop in the headset

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just finished watching a video by Mike Levy over on PinkBike that he did on the Ocho at Cannondale, if you havenít seen it, pretty neat and the last couple minutes with them discussing the aluminum Ocho I found very cool and surprising.

http://https://youtu.be/o5iWN1460So

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Um, the triple crown lefties used to hit the frame too. Hence they had a big rubber stop on the fork. What's the issue? Rubber stop is on frame now not fork.

Yes, it'll be better when next generation Scalpel arrives with the stop in the headset ala F-Si, but for now...meh.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    Um, the triple crown lefties used to hit the frame too. Hence they had a big rubber stop on the fork. What's the issue? Rubber stop is on frame now not fork.

Yes, it'll be better when next generation Scalpel arrives with the stop in the headset ala F-Si, but for now...meh.
    Same as brakes master cylinder hitting the top tube. Put few hundred KMs on my Scalpel and yet to have this happen. This is nothing burger
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    On my xl both the fork and the brakes clear the frame quite neatly i gues by coincidence based on what others are saying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Today I sold my -17 Scalpel Si and now I need to decide the new bike. Iím leaning towards Scalpel with Ocho and new XTR but do I have any other choices? Scott Spark, BMC fourstroke? Any others?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKoo View Post
    Today I sold my -17 Scalpel Si and now I need to decide the new bike. Iím leaning towards Scalpel with Ocho and new XTR but do I have any other choices? Scott Spark, BMC fourstroke? Any others?
    The 2019 Orbea Oiz should be pretty sweet when it eventually comes out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm in the same boat. I have a 2015 carbon scalpel that I love...but I'm sick of doing fork resets. I'm looking seriously at a Santa Cruz Blur with the carbon wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm in the same boat. I have a 2015 carbon scalpel that I love...but I'm sick of doing fork resets. I'm looking seriously at a Santa Cruz Blur with the carbon wheels
    Itís interesting peoples likes and dislikes. I got to ride the Blur ($12000cdn version) and 2018 Scalpel Carbon 3 ($6000cdn) last year - not sure specifically which models they were at the time (not about to go figure it out either!) both bikes back to back and on the same test loop that was all single track.

The Blur they set the suspension up for my weight, but the handlebars and controls were not to set to my liking. The Scalpel I just hopped on it and left.

I found the Scalpel blew the Blur out of the water! I was so impressed and when I found out what the Scalpel retailed for I was even more amazed!

Everyone is different!
    D

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    LBS organised a demo day for staff and a few customers so got the chance to test ride the new 2019 Scalpel Carbon 3. Was about 25mm longer reach than the FS-i I have now which was nice on the downhill sections. I've been meaning to get a longer stem for the hard tail anyway so I think the larger frame will actually be welcome. I definitely noticed the longer front centre though, which i guess is a trade off between stability and agility on tight twisty single track. The front tyre didn't help though, Racing Ray's on loose over hard. They might as well have been slicks compared to the Ardent race I'm used to!

The new Lefty is pretty amaze. Its going to be hard not to drop big $$$ on a World Cup build even if it does come with SRAM brakes . Haven't ridden Eagle before either and I was pretty impressed with the smoothness of the shifting. I'm thinking new bike day isn't far around the corner

sock puppet
    Yup. You have a few options

Scalpel WC
    Scalpel Hi-Mod 1
    Scalpel Carbon 2
    Scalpel Carbon 3

You know what I am saying...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Good to know....I haven't even ridden the Blur yet. My local bike shop owner is a really good friend and he recently dropped Cannon-dale. He says the support he gets from Santa-Cruz is super strong.

I'm looking at the CC Frame X01TR with the Fox 34 110mm and carbon wheels. I won't be pulling the trigger until the spring so I have time to figure things out.

Yea...cockpit layout is super important. I've been on bikes that I didn't get along with at all and then changed bars/stem/grips and everything felt much better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Yea...cockpit layout is super important. I've been on bikes that I didn't get along with at all and then changed bars/stem/grips and everything felt much better.

That was the thing when I rode the Blur, after the first 10min (it was a 20min loop that I created for our local Demo Festival) I stopped trying to focus on how crappy the bar/controls position were and focus on the rest of the bike. I did both loops with a buddy of mine that followed me and he commented on how his perception of me handling the 2 different bikes as well, he said night and day. It does make me wonder if I was to change the controls if it would have been better... but now I will never know as my Carbon 2 is in the box at the shop waiting for me to finish paying for it!

sock puppet
    That was the thing when I rode the Blur, after the first 10min (it was a 20min loop that I created for our local Demo Festival) I stopped trying to focus on how crappy the bar/controls position were and focus on the rest of the bike. I did both loops with a buddy of mine that followed me and he commented on how his perception of me handling the 2 different bikes as well, he said night and day. It does make me wonder if I was to change the controls if it would have been better... but now I will never know as my Carbon 2 is in the box at the shop waiting for me to finish paying for it!
    I canít believe you are still thinking about your Blur...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I canít believe you are still thinking about your Blur...
    Haha! Nope, pure Cannondale for me now, Iím a proud convert! Slate and Scalpel for me! Covers all my bike needs!

D

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Every year since the scalpel 29'er came out I sell my current one and get the latest model year. The 2019 is by far the best performing scalpel yet. My hope is the ocho is less maintenance and more reliable than previous versions. I've had to fix and warranty more lefties than I care to admit over the last 7 years. Hoping the Ocho takes me out of this Lefty love/hate relationship.

To your question, the new fourstroke looks pretty amazing. I rode a 2017 fourstroke 01 di2 for a couple events and it was a pretty incredible bike. I am very interested in test riding the redesign to see how it compares to the 2017 BMC and the scalpel.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-cannondale-2019-scalpel-si-limited-edition-8338-l-1.jpgI have orderd this one in Sweden cant see you have it in usa ?
    Highmode limeted edition. full XTR

Tryed the new Bmc Fourstroke the uther day and it is nice but it vill take time to get use to 67.5 headangel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Scalpel-SI with Lefty Ocho-fhdwpxfd9i0qax41fab7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Iím also located in Sweden and have my eyes on the very same model.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Iím also located in Sweden and have my eyes on the very same model.
    Where in Sweded do you live ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Uppsala.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've also ordered the Limited edition XTR model from The Netherlands. Mine is expected to arrive December 18th... still a month waiting. I've ordered it via my local Cannondale dealer and bought it without the wheelset, I've got a set of DT240 rear and Extralite front hubs laced to Duke lucky jack rims on order. Weight for the wheelset is 1285grams, much better than the Hollowgram originals. Going to be a nice ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Decided to pull the trigger and order the WC Hi-Mod. No word on the XTR model being available in Australia and the LBS can do me an excellent deal on the WC variant. Going to put down a deposit today so should have it within the next couple of weeks hopefully.

Quick question RE: Q-Factor. I have read that due to the Ai offset, the q-factor for the Eagle crankset has been increased by 16mm which may be a problem as I am used to the narrow q-factor of the Si-Cranks on both my MTB and my Supersix.

I have a spare set of Si Cranks i can run, any issues purchasing a Garbaruk 12speed Direct mount chain ring and running the C-Dale Si Crankset? Would this throw the chainline out too much? I can live with the wider q-factor but would rather stick with what I know and am used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12