2018 Cannondale Trail 3- Mtbr.com
    Roll Tide
    Jan 2019

2018 Cannondale Trail 3

Hey guys I have a 2018 trail 3 and a 2019 Stumpy. I'm getting a set of I9's for my Stumpy and was wondering if it's possible to use the stock wheels on my Trail? The stock Trail wheels are 23 mm , front is 110mm thru axle but the rear only says custom boost quick release. The stumpys are 27mm 110, 148 thru axles front and rear. Just wondering if it's possible to use the stumpy wheels for a little extra width?

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide386 View Post
    Hey guys I have a 2018 trail 3 and a 2019 Stumpy. I'm getting a set of I9's for my Stumpy and was wondering if it's possible to use the stock wheels on my Trail? The stock Trail wheels are 23 mm , front is 110mm thru axle but the rear only says custom boost quick release. The stumpys are 27mm 110, 148 thru axles front and rear. Just wondering if it's possible to use the stumpy wheels for a little extra width?
    It won’t work. The rear hub/dropout spacing is a 141 QR. I have a Trail 4 and came upon this issue when I wanted to upgrade the rear wheel.

I was just looking at the Cannondale website and it looks like the only differences between your Trail 3 and my Trail 4 are you got one step up in brakes (MT 400 vs MT 200) and a bit nicer fork (15x110 thru axle and air spring vs 9mm QR and coil spring).

Looks like we got the same parts everywhere else, including the rear wheel.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dsully575 View Post
    It won’t work. The rear hub/dropout spacing is a 141 QR. I have a Trail 4 and came upon this issue when I wanted to upgrade the rear wheel.

I was just looking at the Cannondale website and it looks like the only differences between your Trail 3 and my Trail 4 are you got one step up in brakes (MT 400 vs MT 200) and a bit nicer fork (15x110 thru axle and air spring vs 9mm QR and coil spring).

Looks like we got the same parts everywhere else, including the rear wheel.
    Yes sir, I got one heck of a deal from a buddy out of state on this one new. Have ypu had any luck finding a wheelset?

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide386 View Post
    Have you had any luck finding a wheelset?
    From what I researched, the only option is to get a wheel with a 12x142 thru axle hub, and then buy an adapter to get it to work with a QR skewer. There's a company called VeloFuze that sells that adapter. I found this info here on MTBR but only after going down a long rabbit hole on Google first.

The adapter looks like this:

Name:  vf24.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  10.2 KB

Embedding links isn't working for me. Just search Velofuze on Google. Go to their website and it's under "thru axle adapters". You need "12mm x 142mm Thru Axle Hub Adapter to 5mm Quick Release Skewer". There is technically a 1mm difference in spacing, but when I brought all of this info to the mechanics at my LBS they said it shouldn't be an issue at all.

The adapter is only $25. I bought one, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just trying to spread the info for those interested.

I understand why there are new hub standards, but I remember the days when everything was QR and interchanging parts was simple. I'm not saying I want to go back to those days, but all of these new standards make it difficult. Plus, there is basically no info on Cannondale's website about the hub or its specs.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dsully575 View Post
    From what I researched, the only option is to get a wheel with a 12x142 thru axle hub, and then buy an adapter to get it to work with a QR skewer. There's a company called VeloFuze that sells that adapter. I found this info here on MTBR but only after going down a long rabbit hole on Google first.

The adapter looks like this:

Name:  vf24.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  10.2 KB

Embedding links isn't working for me. Just search Velofuze on Google. Go to their website and it's under "thru axle adapters". You need "12mm x 142mm Thru Axle Hub Adapter to 5mm Quick Release Skewer". There is technically a 1mm difference in spacing, but when I brought all of this info to the mechanics at my LBS they said it shouldn't be an issue at all.

The adapter is only $25. I bought one, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just trying to spread the info for those interested.

I understand why there are new hub standards, but I remember the days when everything was QR and interchanging parts was simple. I'm not saying I want to go back to those days, but all of these new standards make it difficult. Plus, there is basically no info on Cannondale's website about the hub or its specs.
    Thank you for the help!