2017 Scalpel SI Alloy internal routing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

2017 Scalpel SI Alloy internal routing

I have a dropper on the way, internal route. Pulled the crank today and there is only a small hole from the bottom tube going up to the seat post. I have to assume that the carbon frames are wide open there. Has anyone here used it for a dropper on the alloy frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    In case anyone else sees this via search, the official answer is no on the alloy frame. The dropper has to be external. I'm sure it could be modified to work but I'm not hacking into the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I know this is an old thread. But since I found this while searching I figured I should update. You can infact internally route a dropper on the 2016-2019 alloy scalpel with zero modification. After reading this post I figured I'd pull the cable routing module off the bottom of the frame right before the bottom bracket and just drill a hole away from the weld. Turns out Cannondale included a hole for routing right where I planned to place one! If I had to do it again I'd take a small rat-tail file and take the burr off the hole they made so I could slide the cable in easier.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello Brian, do you have any pictures on your setup?, I'm planning to order a dropper post, but I don't see how to feed the cable.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by jarf_02 View Post
    Hello Brian, do you have any pictures on your setup?, I'm planning to order a dropper post, but I don't see how to feed the cable.

Thanks!
    So this is the best I could do. I tried getting a picture inside but it doesn't show. But if you pull off that cable module, where my orange e-tape is pictured you can look down in. And I'm pointing to where the hole will be on the inside but very deep. It is closest to the non-drive side of the bike. Be warned, those cable modules are a one way deal (atleast for me). I just destroyed mine taking it out but you could buy more. I just haven't ordered a new one yet. 2nd picture is just the dropper in the bike, not much to see but proof its doable!

Also, if you remove your seat post and look down from the top you will not be able to see the hole because the pivot mount for the chainstay is in the way. Which might be why some bike shops don't think you can internally route. So you can only work it from the bottom. Let me know if you have any questions or need pictures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Was a 3hr install but completed.

Have an Alloy 2017 scalpel and was able to install with internal routing. No need to remove crank but could maybe help to speed up process. Remove the cable plastic plates(pain in the neck not to destroy them cost like $40 to replace). You will have little but enough view between the brake and derailer cable to spot the small hole going into seatpost.
    Tried to push fumble dropper cable into the hole but after trying few times not easy. I put a thicker metal wire that nicely fits as insert into the cable housing. A 2nd thinner wire (pic shows same diameter how I started but thinner is easier to pull it through the hole back into eatpost. Connect the 2 with a little loop/hook and pull the thick wire out of the seatpost. Now you can insert the thick wire into cable. Use some ducktape to secure that the wire does not disconnect while pulling. The angle the cable makes through that hole is very tight not optimal for cable routing. I used the oneup dropper 180mm. XL frame and Iím 6ft6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Scalpel SI Alloy internal routing-a2a47f3d-1d45-43fe-a9d9-519606798713.jpg  

2017 Scalpel SI Alloy internal routing-ebc5bbff-240e-4877-9171-c890aa38b7b9.jpg  

2017 Scalpel SI Alloy internal routing-94735190-af34-4c62-a5ce-450494b74a5c.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Ya majority of my time was spent digging that plastic cable routing module off! What a huge pain! Glad you got her installed, I ended up using a neodymium magnet instead of a wire. Funny cause when I did mine I had the wrong diameter post, but the cable was already ran so I just left it and returned the old post with the new cable once my other one came in. Definitely a low point for me during installation.