mtbr member

2016 habit carbon 3 unbox, weight, first ride impressions

Here's a spec by spec impression of the bike, and below all of that i'll post my overall ride impressions.

Frame
    Habit 27.5, 120mm, BallisTec Carbon, Carbon Link, SmartFormed Alloy swingarm, PF30, Flat Mount Brake, Pivoting Der Hanger, 1.5 Si headtube

Okay... at first i was very apprehensive about this whole situation. first of all, i am a reader of the internet and assumed that "zero pivot suspension" equated to old tech. Also, coming off of a 130mm 29er, i thought i'd miss the extra travel and rollover, and boy was i (mostly) wrong. the rear triangle was stiff as all getout... i mean REALLY stiff. like... hardtail stiff.

apparently cannondale wasn't messing around when they said that the zero pivot plus 12mm axle would be stiff. I'm 210 lbs and really was able to appreciate the complete lack of "noodliness" in the full suspension frames typically have under my large frame. Under no circumstances did i notice a lack of "small bump compliance" as many tout with single pivot rear triangles. i didn't even set up the suspension really and still no compliance issues whatsoever.

Fork
    Lefty 2.0 Alloy OPI, 120mm, Isolated Damper Technology with Trail+ tune and updated controls, 50mm offset

again, my apprehensions were eased. My only lefty experience comes from a 90mm PBR with a 71 degree HTA from an F29, of which i had to remove the volume spacer because im' so heavy. The 120mm lefty with the updated damper delivered substantially. I was able to utilize all the travel without riding too low in the travel. with tweaking and dialing, i am 100% sure i won't miss my 29er at all (consider me a convert!)

Crank
    Cannondale Si, BB30, FSA 26/36 rings

stiff enough. i ran these with a 32t narrow wide which was way too small... live and learn. i'll upgrade to a 34 or 36 eventually.

Shifters
    Shimano SLX, iSpec, 10-speed

I REALLY missed my rapid fire (2 upshifts) from my XT shifter and, once i decide if i'm going 11 speed, will get rid of the SLX shifter. Otherwise, shifted fine.

Cog Set
    Shimano HG50 11-36, 10-speed

my only comment about the casette is it's a 1 piece, and therefore can't really run it with an expander if i wanted to (all factors into the potential 1x11 decision)

Front Derailleur
    Shimano M618 Deore

Deleted

Rear Derailleur
    Shimano XT Shadow Plus

what's to be said that hasn't already been said. love it.

Rims
    Stans Rapid 28 32H, 27.5 Tubeless ready
    Hubs
    Lefty 60 front, Formula with HG driver 142x12 rear

Huge oppoertunity to lose some weight here. They're about 2100g and you could generally feel the heft. Not terrible but i would love a set of lighter wide-ish wheels.

Tires
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance front, Rocket Ron Performance rear, 27.5x2.25, tubeless ready

I absolutely HATE these tires. they didn't hold air (either of them) tubeless and came straight from the factory with small pinholes that wouldn't stop with stan's. i absolutely hate schwalbe's lighter tire selections and these will be the frist thing to go.

Even when i got the to air up for the ride, they washed out under my weight and were unpredictable. Bad combination for traction and predictability. save yourself the headache and factor new tires into the cost of buying this bike.

Brakes
    Shimano Deore, Resin pads, 180/160

I thought for sure these would leave me wanting for my XT brakes, but they weren't bad. i adjusted the reach before my ride and didn't really miss the real time adjustability of the reach otherwise.

Grips
    Cannondale Dual Locking Grips

I used Ergon GE1 which i love. Ordered them in the proper color to match (as you can see, they're red in the pic)

Saddle
    Fabric Scoop Shallow Elite with Cromoly rails

ok... this is going to sound funny, but this was without a doubt my absolute favorite feature of this bike... i don't know why, but this sill Scoop saddle is the most comfortable damn saddle i've ever ridden! really fit my sit bones well.

Seat Post
    Cannondale C3, 6061 alloy, 31.6x350mm (S,M) 400mm (L,X)

I actually used a RS reverb (take off at the shop from the carbon 2 model) and for the first time, i don't think i'll keep it. i don't know what it is about the geo of this bike but i didn't find myself using the seatpost at all... that should save some weight.

Rear Shock
    RockShox Monarch RL w/ high volume eyelet, 120mm travel

Would love some compression damping... otherwise what can you expect? not bad. set the rebound dead center (5 clicks) and forgot about it. worked great but even after airing it down i wasn't able to get all of the travel out of it. will update this review later when i get the suspension dialed in

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

I've always been a critic of the "quiver killer" labeling... With the habit, i'm sincerely humbled in that sense. I didn't feel i'd given up ANY climbing characteristics form my well dialed 130mm 29er (which was only about 1lb heavier and with MUCH better tires) or if anything, i gained a bit of maneuverability that really allowed me to choose my lines more freely on climbs.

Descending, i also felt easily as confident as i did on my 29er, and even found myself using the dropper post less, if at all. I can see the 120mm being a bit restrictive on some of the real chunky rapid descents, but for what the bike gives in return, i have to say... i think it really does earn the "quiver killer" title, or at least as close to that as i've ever ridden.

Unbox Pic
    Last edited by TwoNin9r; 10-14-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    That green looks deliciously brighter than what i expected still waiting on mine. Have my Hans Dampf, Racing Ralph, and Wolf Tooth 30t spider ready to go once it gets here!!

mtbr member
    I've got a command post and 32t narrow wide! I'm VERY happy with the way the color pops, the pictures on C'Dales site do NOT do this thing justice (nor does my camera phone).

heading back to LBS in about 15 minutes and it should be well underway of being build so i'll upload as they go and start adding some weights here (probably just do individual wheels and whole bike)

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I agree to the colors comment, one of my friends has the Superx Rival CX1. Looks boring on the web, but the orange pops like crazy. Saving my pennies for a dropper and X01.

mtbr member
    Here's another quick shot of the build. Setting up the rims tubeless.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    They are both quite good looking. I actually like the green better than the 2, and im usually a blue type of guy.

mtbr member

This with ergon GE1, old eggbeater 2s, set up 1x10 with race face narrow wide, and rockshox reverb 150mm (from the blue bike above). Also this is tubeless.

The wheels are approx 2100g (2700 with rotors which are approx 115g each and cassette around 380g?). So right there there is a huge opportunity to lose weight. Could end up being under 27 lbs with a decent wheelset and carbon bars.

Ride Everything
    Sweet looking rig. How's the rear tire clearance? Room for bigger rubber?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    quite a bit actually. the rocket ron 2.35 look pretty small in the back. i'll measure clearance after i walk my dogs. Looks like 2.5 would easily fit.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to reading your ride impression on this, it looks fantastic, congratulations!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice! I am currently suffering Habit withdrawal syndrome.

mtbr member
    A hard Habit to kick?...

mtbr member
    Lol y'all are hilarious. As expected the schwalbes suck. The rear didn't hold air through the night... Hopefully they'll stay aired up for my ride this afternoon. Will have ride impressions tonight.

mtbr member
    Just a quickie before work... Gonna break out the DSLR later or this weekend.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    The only knock I have with Cannondale on their bikes is the level of tires and tire spec'd. The Nobby Nic's are not very good front tire from what I've experienced (decent use on the back) and it's a 40-60% success rate of setting up Schwalbe Performance line of tires tubeless. I've had poor luck setting up their performance lines tubeless, especially the Rocket Ron's that came on my Scott. However my fiancee's pair and my pair of Racing Ralph EVO/TLR's have been holding air (maybe 5lbs lost) since July. The same level Hans Dampf held for a week, as that's as long as I had it on a Genius i borrowed for an enduro. Ive been running Schwalbe's since 2008 and I've only had issuses on the performance non-tubeless ready ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend View Post
    The only knock I have with Cannondale on their bikes is the level of tires and tire spec'd. The Nobby Nic's are not very good front tire from what I've experienced (decent use on the back) and it's a 40-60% success rate of setting up Schwalbe Performance line of tires tubeless. I've had poor luck setting up their performance lines tubeless, especially the Rocket Ron's that came on my Scott. However my fiancee's pair and my pair of Racing Ralph EVO/TLR's have been holding air (maybe 5lbs lost) since July. The same level Hans Dampf held for a week, as that's as long as I had it on a Genius i borrowed for an enduro. Ive been running Schwalbe's since 2008 and I've only had issuses on the performance non-tubeless ready ones.
    you're not kidding! woke up this morning to the Nobby Nic at the same PSI as I left it, and the rocket ron dead flat. my tried and true setup is Ardent / Ikon, but was thinking of experimenting with x kings f/r or x king / race king.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I have a suspicion that it's because the Rockets are a xc race tire so they are making it as light as possible, thus less rubber and more holes. Not as bad as the Conti supersonic's that look like a strainer when setting up tubeless.

I'd say X-king f/r for fall/spring then throw a race king on the back for summer. What sealant are you using? I've had really really good success with orange seals lately. Don't need to refill the tires as often as with Stan's.

mtbr member
    I have a suspicion that it's because the Rockets are a xc race tire so they are making it as light as possible, thus less rubber and more holes. Not as bad as the Conti supersonic's that look like a strainer when setting up tubeless.

I'd say X-king f/r for fall/spring then throw a race king on the back for summer. What sealant are you using? I've had really really good success with orange seals lately. Don't need to refill the tires as often as with Stan's.
    LBS set them up for me free of change and used stan's. what's funny is we set them out WITHOUT sealant just to test them and they held for an hour without a single PSI drop. Hoping once I air them up today and ride the piss out of them they'll get stan's in all the nooks and crannies.

I'm in south florida so, fortunately, I can run the same tires all year round as my conditions don't change much (except the mud when it rains).

my other ideal tire combo is ardent (F) and ardent race (R) but that's a big jump up in weight, which I guess may be necessary at this point.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    South Florida? You should be fine on the X-king/Race king then. I'd say maybe run x-king f/r if youre riding nearer the coast as everything is a bit sandier. I'm from south east Georgia (moved in '09) an hour north of Jax. I rode Santos, Razorback (RIP), San Felesco, Hannah Park, Ft. Clinch pretty regularly when I had my Rush.

mtbr member
    South Florida? You should be fine on the X-king/Race king then. I'd say maybe run x-king f/r if youre riding nearer the coast as everything is a bit sandier. I'm from south east Georgia (moved in '09) an hour north of Jax. I rode Santos, Razorback (RIP), San Felesco, Hannah Park, Ft. Clinch pretty regularly when I had my Rush.
    awesome! yeah I'm down by markham park , Amelia Earhart, oleta river, and quiet waters which are all a mix or rooty, sandy, loose coral rocky, and sometimes normal dirt lol. I think you're right, might go X king X king or X king Race king to save weight.

mtbr member

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Can I have a nice scenic shot with it so I can make it my wallpaper at work since mine still hasnt arrived, but it's either shipped or shipping soon. Also, I like the severed foot in the tool cabinet (picture with the bike on the scale).

mtbr member
    this is what i got today. DSLR pics will come this weekend!

i'm updating the first post now with ride impressions

mtbr member
    Can I have a nice scenic shot with it so I can make it my wallpaper at work since mine still hasnt arrived, but it's either shipped or shipping soon. Also, I like the severed foot in the tool cabinet (picture with the bike on the scale).
    haha didn't even notice the foot. yeah the bunch that work at my LBS are a great group of guys. always clowning around and never too serious. can't wait for you to get yours!

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the pics and ride impression. Can't wait to hear more reviews and thoughts once people start getting theirs in and on dirt.

mtbr member
    Yeah man. Rode again today. Absolutely amazing. Starting to get dialed in

mtbr member
    Congrats on the bike!

The 2100 for the wheels was that with out tires rotor and cassette?
    Just wheels tapes and valve?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcko View Post
    Congrats on the bike!

The 2100 for the wheels was that with out tires rotor and cassette?
    Just wheels tapes and valve?
    Thanks! I weighed the wheels with rotors and cassette. They came out to around 2700 grams. I subtracted ~110 for each rotor (I know, not exact) and ~380 for the cassette. this is ballpark but I figure it's a decent estimate.

I've since taken the dropper off the bike and will weight the total weight again (which will essentially be the stock weight minus tubes and set up 1x10), and then again with the tires I just ordered because I LOATHE the tires it came with.

F: Ardent 2.4 Exo
    R: Ikon 2.35 Exo

The tires should theoretically add .5 lbs if you accept the claimed weights, but from what I understand schwalbe underestimates their weights whereas Maxxis is pretty accurate.

I'm not a huge weight weenie (as you can probably tell by my tire choice) but I know people like to know this stuff.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm probably going to piece together a wheelset with Velocity Blunt SS rims (sub 400g each and ~25mm wide internal), a hope hub out back (lefty front, obviously), and sapim laser spokes which should come out to sub 1,500g and be less than $600 if I bargain shop my ass off. then I just need to learn how to build/lace wheels!

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Mine shipped yesterday!!!!

mtbr member
    WOO!!! I'm sure you'll post your own thread but feel free to post pics here too. when you get it let's start the habit pic thread.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I hope you're enjoying your Habit!! All lies, cannondale did a surprise ship with my prodeal so here it is, just need to get a dropper and my spider ring on it.2016 habit carbon 3 unbox, weight, first ride impressions-jamie-h3.jpg
    Last edited by EskimoFriend; 11-13-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    did you ever weigh the FSA rings and spider?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Any updates on the bike overall? Thinking about ordering one just as soon as Cannondale finishes updating all of the lefty-equipped bikes in the warehouses to the new 2Spring setup. Right now they aren't shipping anything.