mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2007 Cannondale Prophet OR Rush--which should I buy-differences?

Hey guys,

I want to buy a small 2007 Rush or Prophet but I'm not sure what the main differences are between them--they seem ver ysimilar in design.

I like the fact that the prophet has longer front travel on the fork--but is the lefty max more or less reliable than the speed? Or the same?

What do you guys think?

Also, how are these for prices of 2007 models:

$1000 for Prophet/Rush 6
    $1299 for -----------5
    1399 for ------------4

I would prefer to spend only the $1000 unless there is significant reason for me to go up in price. I am only gettin into the sport now.

Thanks!

Apparently the Prophet 5 is the cheapest with a lefty and I definitely want one with a lefty :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also, some people have been pushing me towards santa cruz and trek but I'm so used to my lefty on my old Rush that I really don't want to--what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    The Prophet has more travel (140mm) on it than the Rush (110mm) as it's geared for that "All Mountain" category that you've seen thrown around here on the forums while the Rush fits a more XC description.

If your looking for something that is a bit stronger and with a bit more travel than the Prophet is an excellent choice for a bike. I have a friend who has one, and the lefty is an awesome fork! He can ride all kinds of stuff on this bike and its super fun. Makes me wish I had the infamous lefty as a fork on my bike

I'm sure if you gave us some ideas of what kind of stuff you are looking at riding some of the guys on this board will be able to give you a better idea of what route you may want to go.
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DC6*
    The Prophet has more travel (140mm) on it than the Rush (110mm) as it's geared for that "All Mountain" category that you've seen thrown around here on the forums while the Rush fits a more XC description.

If your looking for something that is a bit stronger and with a bit more travel than the Prophet is an excellent choice for a bike. I have a friend who has one, and the lefty is an awesome fork! He can ride all kinds of stuff on this bike and its super fun. Makes me wish I had the infamous lefty as a fork on my bike

I'm sure if you gave us some ideas of what kind of stuff you are looking at riding some of the guys on this board will be able to give you a better idea of what route you may want to go.

Well during the year, I live and go to school in the city. After exams, I like to unwind by going for a ride and basically I will ride it around campus finding the biggest jumps I could handle and taking stairs just to get the blood pumping a bit and since I can't get to a trail fast enough to be able to do it often.

I haven't been able to go out to many trails yet as I have yet to find a friend as into biking as myself and I am only getting into it more seriously now (I know I'm spoiling myself with this bike . But what I picture doing most is something singletrack style and then wider trails with lots of little jumps, roots, logs, etc but something that is not super technical as my skill level is not up there yet.

I also have a stress fracture in my lower back which is why I'm going for the full suspension.

If the prophet is more of an "all mountain--handles more" kinda bike, I think I'd prefer to go with that. Plus I like the idea of being able to change the geometry.

Also, would you guys say it's worth going from the Prophet 5 to the Prophet 4 for $100 more?

Here are the 2007 prophets:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...het/index.html

and is $1300 for a Prophet 5 a good deal or can it go less?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

P5 with Lefty , grab it while you can

If you can still find a P5 with Lefty new for 1399 , I say buy it asap , Cannondale drop all lefty on the Prophet line in 2008 to give their 2 new models a running starts ... if you want a lefty all mtn rig in 08 , you have to buy their new Rize .

The prophet is a well proven all mtn rig , solid frame and if you got one with the lefty , what else do you need

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyGTA
    If you can still find a P5 with Lefty new for 1399 , I say buy it asap , Cannondale drop all lefty on the Prophet line in 2008 to give their 2 new models a running starts ... if you want a lefty all mtn rig in 08 , you have to buy their new Rize .

The prophet is a well proven all mtn rig , solid frame and if you got one with the lefty , what else do you need

Would getting a Prophet 4 be worth an extra $100? Or are the differences not worth the cash?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Prophet 4 is 1lb lighter, has TPC over FFD Lefty and Exo BB and XT rear der over P5. $100 is cheap for any one upgrade and on these prices is the bargain of the bunch. But I'm in UK and my Prophet 800 (=P4) listed @ 2,000 ($4,000) so I'd probably say buy all three. Enjoy you lucky .....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    Prophet 4 is 1lb lighter, has TPC over FFD Lefty and Exo BB and XT rear der over P5. $100 is cheap for any one upgrade and on these prices is the bargain of the bunch. But I'm in UK and my Prophet 800 (=P4) listed @ 2,000 ($4,000) so I'd probably say buy all three. Enjoy you lucky .....

I just saw the difference in the TPC lefty--what IS the actual difference of TPC over FFD?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    I just saw the difference in the TPC lefty--what IS the actual difference of TPC over FFD?

Health Warning I'm no expert but the TPC has a blue knob on the bottom of the fork which allows you to alter the rate at which the fork compresses. It is said to be the plushest Lefty Max but I haven't ridden a FFD. There are threads on upgrading your fork. Look for Cdale Tony I think he is a fan of this upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I went for it--I bought the Prophet 2007 in a small...or at least put a deposit down. It will be $1400. I'm excited to test ride it--hopefully it fits well and I'll make the buy.

Any suggestions for anything when I get it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The correct answer is just ride it but with my sensible hat on I'd recommend plenty of helicopter tape or similar to prevent cable rub. I've a couple of 'dales and they seem very susceptible especially my black Prophet. I'm a big fan of annodised frames.
    Its no biggy but if these things matter to you prevention is a lot easier than cure. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    I went for it--I bought the Prophet 2007 in a small...or at least put a deposit down. It will be $1400. I'm excited to test ride it--hopefully it fits well and I'll make the buy.

Any suggestions for anything when I get it?
    Well from what you said above about the kind of riding you'll be doing, you definately made an excellent choice! You are going to have a blast riding it. The only thing I can thing of would be to ride it and see how the saddle feels after a while, if its comfy and feels alright, leave it. If not try and find something that won't make your ass super sore! And as others have suggested, ride the hell out of it and enjoy
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys! I can't wait til I'm out of school and it's summer again hehe. Maybe I'll try and hook up with some Philly guys for a ride then.

Cya!

Members who have read this thread: 0