2005 Cannondale Bad Boy, Quality?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

2005 Cannondale Bad Boy, Quality?

Anyone familiar with this bike? full rigid, urban street ride. What frame do they use?
    CAAD? Can this pace with an average road bike? Some of us mountain bikers, do train on the road, when we can't make it to the trail.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I believe the full rigid one is a cheaper frame, but the Ultra is the high-end MTN frame with discs.

Yes, you can hang on road rides, no problem. I used mine as my only road bike for few years and did many fast group road rides. Slightly heavier than a traditional road bike, but besides that no real disadvantage.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Well...it isn't a "cheaper" frame really. Just the base line one (unless this is what you were implying). I believe CAAD 3 at this point, maybe CAAD 2. All the frames are CAAD now, with the exception of the highend Optimo which uses a different tube set. As to keeping up with the skinny tire guys, well, you have a distinct mechanical disadvantage, having smaller wheels. Every time their tire go around, they are carried farther. This is not to say that you cannot keep up, you'll just be "training harder" to do so=

mtbr member

Re: Urban Bike

I looked at the C-Dale bad boy a while back and wound up buying a Specialized Sirrus Comp, more of a flat bar road bike however after riding that for a year I wound up getting a real road bike. My 2 cents is any bike that is multi purpose is not going to feel great at doing any one thing. Solution? you can never have to many bikes, FS MTB, Road, Single Speed, 29er ect....variety is the spice of life

Apr 2005

What about weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    I believe the full rigid one is a cheaper frame, but the Ultra is the high-end MTN frame with discs.

Yes, you can hang on road rides, no problem. I used mine as my only road bike for few years and did many fast group road rides. Slightly heavier than a traditional road bike, but besides that no real disadvantage.
    I've heard this bike may weigh in at 22 lbs respectable. Sound right. I need to test ride so I can make a decision. I'm comparing Giant FCR, flat bar road bike- hybrid bike. that bike is around 22 lbs as well with 700cc wheels, very fast compared to my Marin dual susp.I looking for something to have fun with on the street and road, not necessarily a fast bike, but light weight would be nice. Will the 26" wheels on Cdale give a handing advantage over road bike. thanks for your answers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I thought the bad-boy came with 700c disc wheels, and you could order a set of 26" disc wheels as part of the "bad-boy package." I have seen some guys on the c-dale board just throw on a set of 135 spaced road wheels to their f-series bikes.
    The whole bad boy ultra package seems like it could be done cheaper if you just bought the hardtail then specced your own 700c wheels. My $.02.

Apr 2005

Good Info.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Well...it isn't a "cheaper" frame really. Just the base line one (unless this is what you were implying). I believe CAAD 3 at this point, maybe CAAD 2. All the frames are CAAD now, with the exception of the highend Optimo which uses a different tube set. As to keeping up with the skinny tire guys, well, you have a distinct mechanical disadvantage, having smaller wheels. Every time their tire go around, they are carried farther. This is not to say that you cannot keep up, you'll just be "training harder" to do so=
    CAAD 2 or 3. Pardon my lack of knowledge. CAAD sounds Hi Tech, What is the relevance? Weight, strength, rigidity. durability.Are these bikes really hand made in the USA? What might one weigh? What do you think of Cannondale as a company, bike builder. Thanks for your insight on this bike.

Jun 2003

Personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Grindmonkey7
    CAAD 2 or 3. Pardon my lack of knowledge. CAAD sounds Hi Tech, What is the relevance? Weight, strength, rigidity. durability.Are these bikes really hand made in the USA? What might one weigh? What do you think of Cannondale as a company, bike builder. Thanks for your insight on this bike.

CAAD stand for Cannondale Advanced Aluminum Design. Each of the CAAD renditions shave weight, add stiffness in some areas, allow more comfort at the rear axle, and what not. Cannondale makes quite a few hardtail framesets, with different properties and intended uses.

All of Cannondale's frames and suspension forks are made in the USA.

mtbr member
    The 2005 and 2006 Bad Boy Ultras are using Furio framesets, which is the F400. I believe that is a CAAD8 main triangle, and a heavier rear.

The lower end Bad Boys are using its own frame, which could be an older CAAD version.

The '05 base model is a CAAD3. The others are Furio, as stated by others. The concept of two wheelsets has been around, but more as a concept for the consumer, instead of a highly marketed and available add-on. It was offered at a few points on high end models, such as the 30th Anniversary Good Boy Jekyll, with all polished silver XTR, oooo, that was pretty! Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside
    I thought the bad-boy came with 700c disc wheels, and you could order a set of 26" disc wheels as part of the "bad-boy package." I have seen some guys on the c-dale board just throw on a set of 135 spaced road wheels to their f-series bikes.
    The whole bad boy ultra package seems like it could be done cheaper if you just bought the hardtail then specced your own 700c wheels. My $.02.
    I was thinking the opposite. I already have two sets of 26 inch wheels with 6 inch rotors, but I don't have any 700c disc wheels. More importantly, your options for 26 disc wheels are numerous, but I would imagine you would have to build your own 700c, 135mm spacing, disc wheel; which is the most expensive way to acquire a wheel.

Feb 2005
    I use an 05 as a comuter and as my hardtail mtb. The frame is the furio which is the frame that the f600-1000 use, the f300/400 use the furio x which is the same rear end but a heavier front end. If you are riding with a slower group it is fine 17-19mph the bike is great but it lacks the top end gearing to hang with the big boys (44t vs 53t). ) 06 version comes with a little burlier wheel set and the new headshok with lock out and rebound. Mavic makes the Speed City wheels for about $500 that will work with most disc mtbs's and they make an adapter to even use rimbrakes (requires reinstall of calipers in the mavic adapter not a quick change process like disc).

Apr 2005

Something New

The '05 base model is a CAAD3. The others are Furio, as stated by others. The concept of two wheelsets has been around, but more as a concept for the consumer, instead of a highly marketed and available add-on. It was offered at a few points on high end models, such as the 30th Anniversary Good Boy Jekyll, with all polished silver XTR, oooo, that was pretty! Cheers.
    Just to keep you all posted. I laid down my hard earned cash last week and I am now the proud owner of a Cannondale. Something about that name feels right. So the 2005 Bad Boy is real fun machine. I haven't taken a long ride yet, rain just hit sunny socal as I have a day off and a chance to ride, maybe washed out. I must say that on just short around town 5 mile rides, this Bad Boy gets it on. I still need to adapt to the full rigid, but that won't take more than a couple of rides. Thanks for all your input. I'm not worthy of the blessing.

mtbr member
    I run a Goodboy...all the pollished xtr has had the bolts,washers,nuts replaced with titanium....MMMMM NICE....Crossmax sl on 203mm rotors........custom made carbon has repaced the rear mech plate,brake levers and resovour caps.......The 700c road wheels were nothing special.but now iv used the pollished 24h hubs from the origenal mavic ust 3.1rims but laced to zipp carbon profile rims........VERY PREETY.....

Quote Originally Posted by qwackers
    I run a Goodboy...all the pollished xtr has had the bolts,washers,nuts replaced with titanium....MMMMM NICE....Crossmax sl on 203mm rotors........custom made carbon has repaced the rear mech plate,brake levers and resovour caps.......The 700c road wheels were nothing special.but now iv used the pollished 24h hubs from the origenal mavic ust 3.1rims but laced to zipp carbon profile rims........VERY PREETY.....

I love mine= Wasn't your's just on ebay? I saw a medium, decked pretty much as you describe, there, a week or so ago. Nice bikes, grab serious attention! Got a pic with those Zipp wheels on it?

mtbr member
    I love mine= Wasn't your's just on ebay? I saw a medium, decked pretty much as you describe, there, a week or so ago. Nice bikes, grab serious attention! Got a pic with those Zipp wheels on it?
    ive accidently deleeted all the pics of mine.......only got these 2 old ones....need to borrow my mates cammera.......

Oct 2005

Fender and rack mounts?

I too have been looking at picking up a Bad Boy for my commuter. Can you mount full front and rear fenders along with racks onto the BB Ultra?

May 2006

cannondale m4000 & bad boy ultra question

hi guys,

i've read these postings and am impressed with your knowledge base, and would greatly appreciate your input on 2 questions. a little background first, i'm primarily a street rider here in NYC, and am looking for speed, handling and durability/ruggedness in a bike. i'm also a large man, 6 feet/250

1. i have a cannondale m400 aprox 15 years old with knobbies. should i upgrade to slicks and what would it cost & what type of slicks should i get?

2. i'm strongly considering buying the bad boy ultra at then end of this season (hopefully on sale!) as my bike of choice and welcome your input.

thanks so much in advance!

Mar 2005
    I've got a Bad Boy Ultra ('06) on order. I would highly recommend Cannondales! With mine personally I'm going with it as a commuter, throwing a 11-23 on the road wheels and I'm also getting a set of mountain wheels to go on it. It will accept racks if that's your thing too, I'm probably gonna put panniers on mine. The lockout on the headshock is SUPER stiff. It's like you're pressing down on a full rigid (at least to me) the rebound adjustment also gives you another little facet to fiddle with. If you're looking for a great do it all bike, commuter-racer-bad @$$ looking bike then I think the Bad Boy Ultra is right up your alley.

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alavindel
    hi guys,

i've read these postings and am impressed with your knowledge base, and would greatly appreciate your input on 2 questions. a little background first, i'm primarily a street rider here in NYC, and am looking for speed, handling and durability/ruggedness in a bike. i'm also a large man, 6 feet/250

1. i have a cannondale m400 aprox 15 years old with knobbies. should i upgrade to slicks and what would it cost & what type of slicks should i get?

2. i'm strongly considering buying the bad boy ultra at then end of this season (hopefully on sale!) as my bike of choice and welcome your input.

thanks so much in advance!
    I have an F600 (basically a fat-tired BB Ultra) and I bought some cheapo ($15-20ea) Michelin 26" slicks, that I throw on to ride around town occasionally. It's a bit of a pain to swap tires, but it's about 1/10th the cost of getting new separate 700c wheels, so I said F it and went cheap. I can't keep up with a bunch of roadies on a group ride, but to make a run to the store or something, it is 10x easier than riding my Continental fatties.

May 2006

Bad Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Guy
    I have an F600 (basically a fat-tired BB Ultra) and I bought some cheapo ($15-20ea) Michelin 26" slicks, that I throw on to ride around town occasionally. It's a bit of a pain to swap tires, but it's about 1/10th the cost of getting new separate 700c wheels, so I said F it and went cheap. I can't keep up with a bunch of roadies on a group ride, but to make a run to the store or something, it is 10x easier than riding my Continental fatties.
    thanks for the tips and i agree with your cost analysis. for what i was looking for, i ended up making 1 bum purchase, Maxxis Hookworms, and 1 good, Specialized Armadillos. i needed to be sure a pair of slicks (& or skinnies) could withstand everything NYC can throw at it as well as my weight, hahaha, so i opted for 1.5"

i'm still looking at a Bad Boy later, hopefully. do 700c's have a weight rating or limitation? i'm always afraid that my size will encourage flats or exceed their weight rating because they are more for racing (is that true?) where everyone is 180 or less and likely 160 or less.

thanks again!

Jun 2006
    I took delivery of an 05 BBU late last week (bought 2nd hand on eBay) and have been putting it through its paces with both the 700c and some 26" MTB wheels that I pulled off my Kona Hoss. I'd been looking at quite a few hybrids lately as the Hoss is too heavy for Sydney commuting and am very happy with this one. I've done about 100km on-road and it eats up the tarmac. When locked out the Headshok feels completely stiff and performs like a rigid roadbike with the 700c's - swapping over to the 26" MTB wheels is easy as long as you have the same size rotors and so far it's been performing beautifully offroad. Feels like a completely different animal.

Keep the 700c's pumped up to about 100psi (mine came with the Vittoria Randonneurs) and you shouldn't have too many problems with pinch flats. This is the best of both worlds that I've found so far, I'm loving the ability to get both my commuting and offroad needs from the one bike! Only problem so far is it looks too good. I have to make sure I take the lock wherever I go!

Aug 2004
    It's been a long time!!!.Since last year I wanted a Cannondale Bad Boy.Trying to see pictures on internet and information.Last month I got one at last.The BAD BOY DISC.Between the BB and the Ultra.I have 700x28cc wheels with it.It's 250 more than the BB but with larger wheels and dics.As I do around 16 miles a day the size of the wheels and tyres seems better than the BB.I sold an old hybrid with 26" and I can really feel the difference.I also ride a Kona cinder cone 04 for hardtail and xc,and I think that my Cannondale Bad Boy is and will stay definitely on the road.It's really gorgeous,light,make the other jealous and make you feel...Everybody in the streets watch it,even a cyles salesman told me that It's a great bike.Just one thing,I would never leave it out of my sight.I'll try to send some pictures asap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2002 Bad Boy Ultra

Still lovin' my almost standard 2002 Ultra, which is on a CAAD4 Mountain frame.

As I use it mostly for touring, I changed the tyres and grips for added comfort, and added a few security features, lights, full mapping sat nav, and luggage.

I've read lots of negative comments on HeadShok forks (except the lefty), but I've never had any trouble with the Fatty Ultra DL forks that come with the Bad Boy - I've re-greased the slide plates a couple of times, otherwise they've needed nothing.

I originally bought the bike for commuting, so I didn't go for the Jekyll Good Boy that glinted tantalisingly at me on the shop floor. I'd like to do a little off-road for weekend fun, and I can't get the image of the Good Boy out of my head. Any advice on the best place to start looking for one would be greatly appreciated, as would recommendations for more modern alternatives.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    that first actual concept of the Badboy came from this exact idea. Cannondale's mtn team (back in the Volvo Cannondale team days).
    they wanted to train on the road so they 700C road wheels and tires on their mountain bikes. One of the engineers said, "lets make that into an urban city commuter". the geometry is still based off of the same as a Mtn Hardtail, so if you are looking to train in the same position as your mountain bike for training, I would say, get a spair set of wheels and throw it on your mtn bike you have now! make your own Badboy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Re: just throw road wheels on your existing mountain bike: Of course, you may also want to change the suspension (shorter throw, stiffer response, or variable response as on the ultra), the gears (ratios are rather different on road bikes and mountain bikes), and if you use cleats, the pedal and cleat system, as again, road and mountain systems are different to suit the rider's needs. It's not quite as simple as it seems. The reason for a hybrid is that whilst it doesn't outperform a purpose made bike of similar value in either terrain, it can perform well in either with limited modification. A new pair of wheels does not a hybrid make.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Simple

Get a set of mtb wheelset and tires and hit the trail. 05 bad boy gone wild. Hybrid to XC bike.

Now full time commuter with pannier and still sporting nobby tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    can any one hepl me to sort C-dale frames ?
    CAAD, Optimo, Caffein, Taurine ...... does any one knows something more about main differences between them ? quality, weight ?

Tnx
    Ko mali pao u bure rakije !

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently purchased a cannondale Bad Boy Disc.

I wanted to go 1 x 9 so I tried to install a SRAM S300 1.1 Chainset. Won't fit chain ring hits the chain stay nube etc etc.

Has ayone one installed a 44 or 48T single chain ring and crank onto a cannondale Bad Boy??

Surely some people would have tried to make the Bady Boy into a single speed 'Fixie' How did you do it and what crank and bottom bracket did you use?

For now I have just removed the front derailer and the two smaller chain rings and put a pauls chain keeper on.

If no one has a solution I may consider a 2x9 and install a SRAM XX GXP Chainset 156
    with 28-44T. Has anyone fitted this crank and chain ring combo to a Bad Boy with success?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wun911
    I recently purchased a cannondale Bad Boy Disc.

I wanted to go 1 x 9 so I tried to install a SRAM S300 1.1 Chainset. Won't fit chain ring hits the chain stay nube etc etc.

Has ayone one installed a 44 or 48T single chain ring and crank onto a cannondale Bad Boy??

Surely some people would have tried to make the Bady Boy into a single speed 'Fixie' How did you do it and what crank and bottom bracket did you use?

For now I have just removed the front derailer and the two smaller chain rings and put a pauls chain keeper on.

If no one has a solution I may consider a 2x9 and install a SRAM XX GXP Chainset 156
    with 28-44T. Has anyone fitted this crank and chain ring combo to a Bad Boy with success?
    What bottom bracket are you using? Is it the stock square tapered BB? If so I suspect you will need a longer one. I did something similar with my oldie-but-goldie M400 mtb and found that the chainring lightly kissed the chainstay as did the driveside crankarm, a longer bottom bracket resolved that. I'm not sure this is accurate but I think my stock bb was 113mm and I installed (or the LBS did) a 118mm bb. That took care of it.

I have also since gone with a mtb crankset (that excursion I described above was so that I could install a SS road 49t chainwheel crankset) with an external bearing BB and have experienced no clearance issues whatsoever (38t chainwheel).

In short, try a longer bottom bracket and if you dont have or can borrow the tools to take off your stock BB (crank arm puller, bottom bracket tool, etc) you will need to make a trip to the LBS and have them do it. With the right tools it is pretty straight forward..generously lube everything!!

Members who have read this thread: 0