mtbr member

2*9 suggestions?

My trusty ISIS BB (probably the only one in existence to last more than a single season) has developed a creaking noise. Instead of just getting a new box, I'd like to replace the whole setup. The easy answer would be just buying a new XTR crank, but I really like the 2*9 setup...

Any suggestions? Does anyone have any experience with modified roadie triples?

Bike is a 2007 Scalpel btw. Current setup is an 108mm FSA Platinum Pro TI BB + FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue crankset...

Also posted in Weightweenies :-)
    Last edited by Kspr; 04-22-2008 at 03:56 AM.
    Little bit o' pain never hurt anyone....

LA CHÈVRE
    What gearing are you looking for? I know FSA makes a 29/44 double of their K-Force Light but it has a proprietary BCD so you are stuck with their own rings and they only make 29 and 44 rings.

Middleburn makes a very nice crankset called the RS8, with almost infinite gearing option and they are pretty light and strong. The Duo consists of the arms, the spider is actually the small ring and the big ring mounts to the small one. You can change from double to triple to anything else. The downside: they are only available in square taper or ISIS...

What you could do is use a normal triple with a conventional BCD like 104 - 4 bolts but use a bigger granny like a 28 and put the big ring where the middle ring would be. That allows you to have a lower small ring than the 30T limit of the middle ring and also move the chainline inward so you can use all the gear combinations. This is possible with most cranksets but you may have to get chainrings from other companies depending what gearing you like. I know TA Specialités makes a lot of sizes and are pretty much the lightest rings out there... not the most durable and best shifting though.

Another option is use a Hollowgram SL 2x9, the lightest, stiffest, bestest crank you could go with. The downside is the price and it really needs some complicated tinkering if you don't have a BB30 frame, but using Zipp Vumaquad bearing cups and modifying the spindle or getting a custom one done, it can be installed on a standard frame...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Members who have read this thread: 0