mtbr member
    Mar 2008

07 Prophet 5 laid-back seat post & other upgrades?

I'm getting back into biking after 10 years, just purchased my first fs ride and looking for some thoughts on upgrades (i'm way out of the loop on componentry). I've got about $500 burning a hole in my pocket and have a couple questions:

1- What components would you change out first on this bike?

2 - Any thoughts on going with a laid back seat post? I don't want to negatively affect the geometry and what it's designed to do, but I really feel like I need to be a bit more stretched out between seat and bars.

Thanks for your suggestins!

Avenger of Evil
    myprophet1000z.JPG
    The laid back Thompson works great for me.
    I am 5'8" and felt that the little extra room was more comfortable.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    probably the saddle if you didnt already. Also you might want to get some lighter tires.

Ridin' dirty!
    Yep. Lighter tires and tubes first, then the seat.
    If you want to spend $500.- I'd get a different crankset also. The black FSA is heavy and uses the GIGA pipe bottom bracket, which is really heavy as well....
    On top of that all the newer crank sets use external bb cups and are stiffer and IMO more reliable.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks, I'll plan on the laid back seat post.

Any suggestions on a good saddle?

Ridin' dirty!
    I like San Marco saddles, since they're not so expensive, light and pretty comfortable too (depending which one you get though... )
    I had an expensive Fizik Gobi and swapped it for a San Marco Island, since the Gobi was way heavier and very uncomfortable IMO.
    Expensive doesn't automatically mean it's a great product....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    The laid back Thompson works great for me.
    I am 5'8" and felt that the little extra room was more comfortable.
    What size bike are you riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    selle italia SLR XC Gel Flow all the way, so darn comfortable i had no qualms about ridnig it on the mawson trail, 900 kms of offroad punishment. that said saddle preferences are very anatomically specific.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wouldn't just assume that one should get a setback seat post without taking proper measurements to determine so. It has been argued that one's weight distribution through the saddle can be adjusted through the seat post however, the use of a setback seat post is to set the saddle aft. Why would one want to set the saddle aft? Drop a plum like from your knee and check where the line is relative to the crank arm. If this is set incorrectly, it can cause so me severe harm to one's knees. A seat post is relative to fit more than it is to suspension. If you want to know which type of seat post you need, get fit on your bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    From what I've read, the whole point of laid back seat posts (as far as mt biking is concerned) is to gain the 'correct' position - the cheaper two bolt seat posts position the saddle directly on top of the post rather than slightly set back. The laid back seat post then positions you where a normal (quality two bolt?) post would, but w/ minimal added metal/weight caused by the the set back being built in atop the post. In my case, if the correct position is slightly aft, then all the better because that's the feel I like.

Here's the article I'm referring to - http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=...omson_seatpost

Members who have read this thread: 0