mtbr member
    Jan 2007

'05 cannondale fire disc rear hub?

Looking at possibly getting a lefty wheelset for my prophet build and came across a brand new wheelset from a '05 Prophet 1000. mavic 819's with a fire disc rear hub. I know next to nothing about this hub. Is it any good, or should I look for something a bit more recent? Know of any recurring problems/complaints? thanks.

Drink...sleep
    It's your average cup-and-cone hub, made by Formula. It's quite heavy. I had one on my Prophet for about a year, never had a problem with it (did of course need to adjust it once in a while), other than it being heavy

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I believe its a Formula CDH-33 hub. Mine's OK but its not very special. I think generally they are not well regarded. Cannondale spec them across a very wide price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    as long as it won't instantly fall apart....I'll probably get this wheelset cheap and then replace rear hub in the fall when I can. Hopefully I'll be able to find something of the same diameter and keep same spokes or something like that...

LA CHÈVRE
    I would stay away from that hub, I remember many complaints about it and many failures without much milage. Cannondale stopped using those after 2005 because they weren't reliable enough.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

LA CHÈVRE
    Re-using spokes is never recommended by good wheel builders, but spokes are not too expensive.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Re-using spokes is never recommended by good wheel builders, but spokes are not too expensive.
    Actually, it's perfectly alright if you put them in exactly the same orientation in the new wheel as they were in the old wheel. But then again, there are not too many hubs out there with exactly the same flanges as the C'dale Fire hub I'd imagine. Like Dan said, spokes are cheap. A rear hub isn't, so why not get a wheelset with a decent hub right away?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    well, I guess it depends on how much the rest of the build costs. If I get a pike, I won't have to worry too much, but If I stick with the lefty max, I'd like a Crosstrail Lefty wheelset. But if I can't afford that, I don't know of anything other than whatever pops up on ebay for cheaper. I'll be able to afford something nicer later, but I'm not going to have the prophet sitting in my garage all summer.

mtbr member
    I have an '05 Prophet 1000 with this hub and so far it has been fine. I did notice that the freewheel is about to go though. It grinds and sticks a little.

But even though I don't need it I would like to get a better wheelset. What do you guys recommend as a replacement. I ride pretty aggressive and am no lightweight and have only broken one rear spoke in the 3 years I've had it. I was looking on the Mavic site and they all are only 24 spoke now. I like having 32 not only for the added strength but if I do break one the wheel won't go too much out of true.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    But even though I don't need it I would like to get a better wheelset. What do you guys recommend as a replacement. I ride pretty aggressive and am no lightweight and have only broken one rear spoke in the 3 years I've had it. I was looking on the Mavic site and they all are only 24 spoke now. I like having 32 not only for the added strength but if I do break one the wheel won't go too much out of true.
    Lots of stuff written about wheelsets already on these forums. Personally, I would never buy a Mavic factory wheelset, but always go with something custom, hand built. I'd recommend the Hope Pro2 hub on the rear (quality, lightweight, not too expensive, nice colours), standard Lefty hub up front, DT 5.1d rims (or something similar) and DT Comp spokes for your weight and ride style. I ride pretty aggresively (and pretty stupidly) as well, weigh about 85kg, and have smashed up two lightweight rims (DT 4.2d) in a very short period of time. I have found the 5.1d to be perfect so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I recently ditched my Fire hub because of the fact that I couldn't seem to keep the bearings in adjustment and that the engagement sucked. I rebuilt my 819 rear with an 08 XT hub and have been super stoked so far. If you get a really good deal on the wheel, you can buy it and upgrade the hub later, but I wouldn't pay much more than the price of a new 819 rim IMHO.

Members who have read this thread: 0