mtbr member
    Oct 2006

04 Lefty Max - spring rating for rider weight

Hello,

I'm new to the sport. I have a stock 04 medium frame Jekyll 800 with Lefty Max.
    An expericend rider mentioned my front shock seems too soft/mushy for my weight.

I weigh 180Lbs. in my birthday suit. Do I need to change it to a stiffer spring?

Thanks in advance for any help

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbr_moron
    Hello,

I'm new to the sport. I have a stock 04 medium frame Jekyll 800 with Lefty Max.
    An expericend rider mentioned my front shock seems too soft/mushy for my weight.

I weigh 180Lbs. in my birthday suit. Do I need to change it to a stiffer spring?

Thanks in advance for any help

Have you cracked open that puppy yet? Gotta know if it's a blue or a red spring in there. Blue is what I ride, and I'm a hair lighter than you, but if you like a stiffer ride, you may want the red. Done a sag test on it yet? The Lefty is much plusher than a regular fork, if your buddy is basing their opinion on a Rock Shox, or a Manitou, it would explain alot. Do you bottom out frequently in a given ride? That's a good indicator of too soft too.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

MendonCycleSmith

MendonCycleSmith,

Pardon my ignorance....I only know the sag test for the rear, but how do I do a sag test for the front. I'm certain I have the blue spring. that should have been the stock model.
    One of my problem is that when I'm on an bumpy up hill climb my front well bounces alot - can seem to keep it straight.

LA CHÈVRE
    MendonCycleSmith,

Pardon my ignorance....I only know the sag test for the rear, but how do I do a sag test for the front. I'm certain I have the blue spring. that should have been the stock model.
    One of my problem is that when I'm on an bumpy up hill climb my front well bounces alot - can seem to keep it straight.
    That may only be your technique. When climbing, your weight is shifted more toward the rear so the front end feels lighter and less controllable. Just lean a bit more over the front tire (while still seated on the saddle) and see what it does. The steeper the uphill, the more you have to exagerate the position. On super steep uphills, your butt may need to be just touching the front tip of the saddle so you can have your weight forward enough.

But to check your sag of the front, sit on the bike in a normal riding position and mark (or have a friend do it) the handlebar height on the wall or something. Get off the bike and check the difference in height.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-30-2006 at 10:01 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Yeah, what Dan said=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yeah, what Dan said=
    And wouldn't "bouncing" indicate not enough rebound damping, maybe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's a free moutain bike workshop at the beginning of each month. I think I need to work on my fundamentals as Dan and others have pointed out.
    One other question. If I already have the Fox RL propedal, will I get additional benefit from getting it PUSHED? Also, will the PUSH modification disable my lockout feature??
    I find my lockout really doesn't lock up as it cracked up to be.

One other question. If I already have the Fox RL propedal, will I get additional benefit from getting it PUSHED? Also, will the PUSH modification disable my lockout feature??
    I find my lockout really doesn't lock up as it cracked up to be.

Yup, getting it Pushed would be a nice upgrade, you would lose the lockout, but you won't miss it with a well tuned platform shock=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yup, getting it Pushed would be a nice upgrade, you would lose the lockout, but you won't miss it with a well tuned platform shock=
    Okay, I have to ask, what is a "Push," what does it do, and how do we get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r
    Okay, I have to ask, what is a "Push," what does it do, and how do we get it?

It refers to Push Industries, and what they do is take your non platform shock, gut it, rebuild it, and make it better than ever. They install a platform, which allows the shock to ride much more efficiently, with alot less bobbing, while still being plush, so it's not like a locked out shock. Very nice=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    MendonCycleSmith,

I'm afraid if I get it pushed, I might end up with too much bobbing. The friends I ride with are mountain goats. How would being pushed compensate for the lost of lockout value?

MendonCycleSmith,

I'm afraid if I get it pushed, I might end up with too much bobbing. The friends I ride with are mountain goats. How would being pushed compensate for the lost of lockout value?

The whole point of a platform is to prevent bobbing. The point of a lockout is to prevent motion, period. Given the option of a controlling bobbing, but still having suspension motion, would you prefer having to remove your hand from the bars to unlock it on every hill top, better yet, forget it was locked, till you hit the down hill? Push will ask what bike you have, as it makes a difference, and they will ask what you want out of it, light platform, heavy platform, etc. If you are an insane out of the saddle climber, tell them that too. They make it to suit, it's not a one size fits all scenario. Cheers!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0