Yelli forks: 140 Marzochhi Micro Ti vs. Fox Talas 120?- Mtbr.com
    FM
    mtbr member

New question here. Yelli forks: 140 Marzochhi Micro Ti vs. Fox Talas 120?

Anybody with ride experience on both? Thoughts?
    Last edited by FM; 09-12-2011 at 11:22 AM.

The White Jeff W
    I have a 140mm Zoke on mine. No desire to try anything else. The 44 micro is money
    No moss...

FM
    mtbr member
    Cool. Ended up picking one of those micro ti's up of chainlove, so that's encouraging.

The White Jeff W
    Good call. You can space it down to 120 or 100 if you dont like it at 140. I run a zero rise stem with no spacers and a lo rise bar to keep the front end low. Love it.
    No moss...

Trophy Husband
    I have a Zoke set at 140 on my Yelli....pretty stiff little bugger. Good times for bad people.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm pretty psyched to try the Fox Float 34 Talas when it comes in stock where I order my stuff.

banned
    Sep 2007
    No doubt, if I pick up a Yelli Screamy, it will get the Micro Ti. Just not sure if I will go 120 or 140 on it. Probably 120. As someone said above about the Marzocchi Micro Ti., it's money... I'm running one on my Jet now, and it is currently the shiznit after being worked on by Ronnie over there at Marz. Although I understand Marz will have a Corsa Ligerra in 120mm and carbon this year that goes about 3.5 pounds, for the weight weenies out there.

FM
    mtbr member
    Cool. So here's why I asked; I've had the 120 Talas 32mm on my yelli since I bought it last spring. Love the bike, love the handling. The fork feels great for general trail riding, occasionally feels overwhelmed on gnarlier terrain and bigger hits, and I almost never use the travel adjust. Mainly I believe the Yelli is capable of being ridden harder than the fox 29"/32mm platform was intended for, and the 34's aren't available yet, so....

The fork is currently in for service, so I impulse bought a Micro Ti as a back-up. Now I'm thinking maybe it's more than a back-up. I suppose I can always travel adjust it down to 120 if I don't like the handling at 140. Or get a Fox 34 when they are available... but regardless I'm leaning towards not putting the Talas 32 back on. Hopefully the Marz will be issue-free....

I'll report back with a comparison when I get a few rides in on the Micro.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Cool. So here's why I asked; I've had the 120 Talas 32mm on my yelli since I bought it last spring. Love the bike, love the handling. The fork feels great for general trail riding, occasionally feels overwhelmed on gnarlier terrain and bigger hits, and I almost never use the travel adjust. Mainly I believe the Yelli is capable of being ridden harder than the fox 29"/32mm platform was intended for, and the 34's aren't available yet, so....

The fork is currently in for service, so I impulse bought a Micro Ti as a back-up. Now I'm thinking maybe it's more than a back-up. I suppose I can always travel adjust it down to 120 if I don't like the handling at 140. Or get a Fox 34 when they are available... but regardless I'm leaning towards not putting the Talas 32 back on. Hopefully the Marz will be issue-free....

I'll report back with a comparison when I get a few rides in on the Micro.
    Fox 34's are available... I spoke with Frank Orello over at Niner Bikes last Friday, they had 20 in stock and they were down to 14 in 3 days, I think is what he told me.... They were asking $1040 each for them, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osty View Post
    I'm pretty psyched to try the Fox Float 34 Talas when it comes in stock where I order my stuff.
    Another good choice might be the new 2012 Revelation 29er forks that soon will debut.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    will they be 32mm or 34mm (or bigger or in between; say 33mm) LOL!
    Honestly, I have been very happy w/ my fox forks for years. I actually think I am going to order the standard Float 34 next week. I will try it at 140mm and see how I like it. I do use my Yelli for true XC rides as well as DH/AM etc.
    I talked to a Fox tech guy and he told me that I can reduce travel to 120mm w/ a 20mm spacer that I have from other forks. He assured me that I will work, even w/ the new 34mm chasis.

mtbr member
    32mm stanchions.

And it's great to hear the new 34 Float can be dropped in travel. I couldn't find anything on their site last night, this makes me want the Yelli with a 34 that much more lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yea, I'm pretty happy about it too. I really don't think I will push a HT hard enough to use the capabilities of a 140mm travel fork.
    I have hit up to 6' drops on my 120mm Float and it's handled it as I would expect it to. No crazy harsh bottoming and there usually is some sort of transition to make landings alittle smoother; plus when I'm doing that kind of riding I usually put 125-130psi in fork

FM
    mtbr member
    Got a good break-in ride on the 44 micro ti tonight- 3800' up&down in 15 miles, starting at 6pm. Lots of steep loamy, rooty descents. This is after 8 months riding my yelli with a 2010 fox talas 120.

I'm very impressed with the micro ti, given that it was $350 (chainlove).
    I ran it at 140mm, with 20mm riser bars (30" width) and no spacers under the stem. The bars were about as high as I like for climbing, but acceptable given that I like my cockpit low & wide. With more travel, I ran more sag, so the difference in geometry was subtle, but I definitely appreciated the slightly slacker angles. BB height was fine- I think I actually prefer the slightly higher BB with the 140 fork.

The extra travel and classic buttery marzocchi feel were definitely representing. The fork felt slightly stiffer than my Talas, but I switched from straight to tapered steerer so that's to be expected. The marz handled impacts of all sizes better than the talas, but the compression damping on the fox felt more refined at high speeds. No creaks from the crown or stanchions, which was nice change from my Fox.
    Overall, I think I prefer the marz... so far.

Settings;
    I ran 50psi (I weigh 180 w/o gear),
    volume adjuster about half way.
    Kept the red lock-out/TST lever engaged with the gold threshold knob backed mostly out. The gold threhold knob then becomes a sort of low-speed compression adjuster.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Got a good break-in ride on the 44 micro ti tonight- 3800' up&down in 15 miles, starting at 6pm. Lots of steep loamy, rooty descents. This is after 8 months riding my yelli with a 2010 fox talas 120.

I'm very impressed with the micro ti, given that it was $350 (chainlove).
    I ran it at 140mm, with 20mm riser bars (30" width) and no spacers under the stem. The bars were about as high as I like for climbing, but acceptable given that I like my cockpit low & wide. With more travel, I ran more sag, so the difference in geometry was subtle, but I definitely appreciated the slightly slacker angles. BB height was fine- I think I actually prefer the slightly higher BB with the 140 fork.

The extra travel and classic buttery marzocchi feel were definitely representing. The fork felt slightly stiffer than my Talas, but I switched from straight to tapered steerer so that's to be expected. The marz handled impacts of all sizes better than the talas, but the compression damping on the fox felt more refined at high speeds. No creaks from the crown or stanchions, which was nice change from my Fox.
    Overall, I think I prefer the marz... so far.

Settings;
    Kept the red lock-out/TST lever engaged with the gold threshold knob backed mostly out. The gold threhold knob then becomes a sort of low-speed compression adjuster.
    Interesting... how did the bike's front end react on some of the bigger hits, or drop to flats? Did you attempt anything at around 2.5 feet to flat, or blow a line and peg a boulder head on on the downs, and still roll it out? I ask, because that would be about the maximum I would attempt to negotiate on a Yelli Screamy with where and how I ride. I'm more concerned about the 140mm giving a false sense of security when picking rougher, crappy lines while on a hard tail, and getting jacked /booted OTB, due to the rear end being overwhelmed.

That is something that is for certain different on the Marz forks, set them up to use the full travel for most areas you ride, and don't worry too much where the sag ends up, even if it does end up at around 30 to 35%.... the fork just seems to do everything better when set up this way. I don't understand it, I just know that jeffj's comment was confirmed by Ronnie over there at Marzocchi, and once it is set up... best 29'er designed fork I've ridden in a long time. Worst case scenario conditions is what concerns me, this big fork on a slackened out hardtail is somewhat radical from my previous bikes, if I go this way.

The White Jeff W
    BB height was fine- I think I actually prefer the slightly higher BB with the 140 fork.
    That was something I forgot to mention-I run 180mm crank arms so a little extra clearance is nice

Settings;
    I run 65 PSI but Im 200 lbs, same setting on the volume. Ive tried a click in each direction but always end up back where I was.

Interesting, might have to try that. I usually just leave mine unlocked.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Interesting... how did the bike's front end react on some of the bigger hits, or drop to flats? Did you attempt anything at around 2.5 feet to flat, or blow a line and peg a boulder head on on the downs, and still roll it out? I ask, because that would be about the maximum I would attempt to negotiate on a Yelli Screamy with where and how I ride. I'm more concerned about the 140mm given a false sense of security when picky crappy lines while on a hard tail, and getting jacked /booted OTB, due to the rear end being overwhelmed.
    There's a 3 or 4 foot drop to flat on one of the trails I ride. Ive been getting a little braver each time i hit it and now just bunny hop off of it at speed. Yesterday I pushed the zip tie on the stanchion down before I got there to see how much of the fork it used. I landed it pretty clean and there was about a half inch of travel left after the hit.

Cant really think of any 'peg a boulder' scenarios that Ive been through. I can say that the bike & fork are pretty confidence inspiring on the downs. There's nothing too crazy on the trails I ride most often but there's a handfull of steep washed out rooty sections and I usually just let the bike go, maybe a little feather on the brakes to keep things in check. It usually tracks pretty good. Cant think of too many times it hasnt gone where I pointed it unless it washes out on some loose stuff.

I should also mention that its very easy to lift the front over obstacles & manual, to the point that endoe'd my other bike last time I rode because I didnt pull up hard enough on a tall log crossing.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 09-02-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    No moss...

FM
    mtbr member
    Got out a bit more today with the Marz. Came home to find my Fox fork returned from warranty/service, I have to say that's pretty impressive as I shipped it out last friday.

Randy, my .02c, don't focus on the biggest hits you'll ever do, build the bike for the riding you'll do %90 of the time. Either the fox or marz 140 forks can be set to 120 with internal spacers, so I wouldn't select based on travel. The yelli handles great at 140, it's more a question of handlebar height. I may look into spacing mine down to 130 to get the bars just right where I like them. I did hit a 2' to flat today, wheelie-drop off a log ride, felt fine.

I do think the Marz 32mm fork is noticeably stiffer than the fox 32, much of that is the tapered steerer, but I think the marz crown is also beefier. My fox was warranteed for the very creaky crown. Props to Fox for taking great care of me and turning it around quickly.

jeffw-13, I did most of last nights ride with the TST off, or in the middle position, and felt the fork lacked low-speed compression damping set that way. It rode low in the travel on steep descents, despite never having used the last inch, and sag being less than %30. For the last part of the ride, I tried keeping the TST fully on, and the gold knob 1-2 turns in from fully open. This seemed to give it some low-speed compression damping which saved more of the travel for bigger hits, and the gold knob then becomes pretty effective for fine-tuning the fork.

I'm sure it's not even broken in yet, so I'll report back after a few more rides....
    Last edited by FM; 09-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    HMMM, well since it seems most of you guys like riding your yelli's @ 140mm, I think I will give it a try for a while when my Float 34 comes next week. Didn't think about running more sag, so I will try that as well.
    I really hope the fork isn't all hyped up and truly feels different/better/stiffer etc.

Question;
    I am currently running a Cane Creek 110 ZS bottom HS cup, I have a 110 standard cup which will be taller by about 7-8mm. Will the added mm's make any real difference in slacking out the HA?

The White Jeff W
    jeffw-13, I did most of last nights ride with the TST off, or in the middle position, and felt the fork lacked low-speed compression damping set that way. It rode low in the travel on steep descents, despite never having used the last inch, and sag being less than %30. For the last part of the ride, I tried keeping the TST fully on, and the gold knob 1-2 turns in from fully open. This seemed to give it some low-speed compression damping which saved more of the travel for bigger hits, and the gold knob then becomes pretty effective for fine-tuning the fork.

I'm sure it's not even broken in yet, so I'll report back after a few more rides....
    Headed out for a ride right now. Im gonna give it a go & see how it feels.
    No moss...

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osty View Post
    Question;
    I am currently running a Cane Creek 110 ZS bottom HS cup, I have a 110 standard cup which will be taller by about 7-8mm. Will the added mm's make any real difference in slacking out the HA?
    Wow!

A) I didn't realize you could run a ZS lower on the yelli- With a tapered steerer? That means I can get my bars lower without giving up any travel!

Or can you only run a zero-stack lower with a straight 1-1/8" steerer?

B)Yes, based on other bikes I've owned, the geometry difference between ZS and External lower headset cups is subtle, but noticable.

jeffw-13- you may be able to run slightly lower pressure if you add some TST compression damping to the mix....?
    Last edited by FM; 09-03-2011 at 09:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    opps, yea; my ZS lower is 1 1/8. Not tapered. I swear that I tought I saw at one time Cane Creek offered a 49mm 1.5 ZS lower though? Maybe just an old acid trip coming back

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    That was something I forgot to mention-I run 180mm crank arms so a little extra clearance is nice

I run 65 PSI but Im 200 lbs, same setting on the volume. Ive tried a click in each direction but always end up back where I was.

Interesting, might have to try that. I usually just leave mine unlocked.

Curious here, how many clicks from full out (open) are you running your volume adjuster at?

I seem to prefer either all the way open for buff single track or 4 to 5 clicks in for rougher stuff here in So Cal.

beater
    That was an interesting idea. Thanks for that- gave it a shot this AM and liked it. Something else to play around with.

The White Jeff W
    Right, so it appears that the lock out on my fork is not working. TST knob turned lock to lock = no difference at all.

Curious here, how many clicks from full out (open) are you running your volume adjuster at?

I seem to prefer either all the way open for buff single track or 4 to 5 clicks in for rougher stuff here in So Cal.

When I initailly set up a fork I count the clicks from one end to the other & set it in the middle & adjust from there. Im one click towards the firmer setting. Ive tried it one click the other way and it was a little too soft for my liking. Any more than that its too firm.
    No moss...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Right, so it appears that the lock out on my fork is not working. TST knob turned lock to lock = no difference at all.

When I initailly set up a fork I count the clicks from one end to the other & set it in the middle & adjust from there. Im one click towards the firmer setting. Ive tried it one click the other way and it was a little too soft for my liking. Any more than that its too firm.
    Did you turn the little gold micro ti knob fully clockwise before testing for lock out with the 4 position red lever?

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Did you turn the little gold micro ti knob fully clockwise before testing for lock out with the 4 position red lever?
    I did.
    No moss...

FM
    mtbr member
    Well, I'm digging the 140 marz on the yelli.
    After getting my saddle angle dialled in, the bar height seems fine.
    I really like the descending geometry @ 140, and the fork has been great so far. A little tricky to tune in with so many adjustments, but the more I tweak it, the more I prefer it over the Fox. I weigh 175, and am running 43psi, Red TST fully engaged with the threshold knob 1 turn in from fully open, volume adjust is 3 clicks in from fully open, rebound is set 3 clicks in from full fast. Using the TST as low-speed compression damping seems key to creating some mid-stroke support without jacking up the air pressure.

Big ride friday

mtbr member
    New saddle and dropper post I see too? Quite nice and where do you ride? Place looks killer.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    New saddle and dropper post I see too? Quite nice and where do you ride? Place looks killer.
    Thanks. I actually had a reverb and new chromag saddle on my yelli, but the reverb is in for warranty, so stole this post and saddle of my other bike.

The pic was taken at 8000', on Angels Staircase, near Twisp Wa. More pics here. definitely a great ride and the yelli was perfect for it!

mtbr member
    The YS would be a great bike on Angels Staircase, nice and nimble over all that rock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How do y'all feel about the tire clearance on the Marz fork. I like big wide tires on wide rims. Hate it if my wheel comes slightly out of true or some spokes go loose, and I get tire rub/buzz on the fork. Having that issue with my Reba.

FM
    mtbr member
    Clearance is good. I am running a specialized purgatory 2.4 on flow rim, and there's room to spare.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    How do y'all feel about the tire clearance on the Marz fork. I like big wide tires on wide rims. Hate it if my wheel comes slightly out of true or some spokes go loose, and I get tire rub/buzz on the fork. Having that issue with my Reba.
    Late reply, but I had plenty of clearance with Dissents on MTX33s.

edit- I did occasionally get some buzzing off the side knobs, but I kept my pressures down to around 20 psi or so. Can't find a closeup but this kind of shows it:

Stayin' Puft
    Well, I'm digging the 140 marz on the yelli.
    After getting my saddle angle dialled in, the bar height seems fine.
    I really like the descending geometry @ 140, and the fork has been great so far. A little tricky to tune in with so many adjustments, but the more I tweak it, the more I prefer it over the Fox. I weigh 175, and am running 43psi, Red TST fully engaged with the threshold knob 1 turn in from fully open, volume adjust is 3 clicks in from fully open, rebound is set 3 clicks in from full fast. Using the TST as low-speed compression damping seems key to creating some mid-stroke support without jacking up the air pressure.

Big ride friday
    This is a great pic. From posted pics on MTBR, I was starting to think mine was the only yelli that had ever been taken off the porch or out of the garage.

I'd been waiting to take a mountain picture worthy of posting but you beat me to it. Where is that?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat View Post
    that had ever been taken off the porch or out of the garage.
    That alone is worth rep! Well stated, too true. Garage doors and washing machines.........
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

FM
    mtbr member
    I'd been waiting to take a mountain picture worthy of posting but you beat me to it. Where is that?
    Oldhouseman called it, that's Angels Staircase, near Twisp, Wa.
    Was just out there again friday with friends and the yelli for another ride in that area, Uno Peak.

mtbr member
    That's a great shot Scott!

Stayin' Puft

A Pic Dedicated to RandyBoy

banned
    Sep 2007
    Oh yeah! Sweet, where in CO was that and the name of the trail? Got some gpx of PM me on that one, I'd love to try it.