Wheel decision for RIOT build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Wheel decision for RIOT build

Just ordered a Riot frame this week and i'm super stoked! But, I can't decide if I should go with a Flow MK3 or Arch Mk3 wheel set....i'll be going with CRC Hope Pro4 custom build. I'm leaning towards the Arch as they will be a tad lighter, but i'm wondering if the added width and strength of the Flowmk3 is more important? I live in the Albany, NY area and will mostly be trail riding, nothing too crazy. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    for the small weight difference overall i would go flows as they are much stronger and have a wider width. Inner width is more important when it comes to how the tires grip and the width of tire you can run for traction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You want the stiffer wheels for sure. This bike loves to turn and having wheels that hold the line just adds so much to the experience.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thanks for the reply; that makes sense. To complicate things further, i'm also now looking at the Spank OOzy trail and Easton ARC wheels, which both seem to get great reviews.
    Any thoughts/opinions out there?
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

Canfield Bikes
    I think the Spanks have the best ability to stay true and shrug off hits. Good reliable wheel.
    https://canfieldbikes.com/
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

Let the good times roll.
    I vote against ARC wheels. My rear Arc 27 dented the first time I went to the mountains. And again when I went back. Not DH, just rocky southwest VA singletrack. I've ridden those trails on Flow rims many times with no issues. Same tires at the same pressure. Hardly a comprehensive scientific test, but my personal experience has not been good. I plan to get new wheels with Flow MK3s soon.

mtbr member
    I don't see why the Arch even exists; it's 2016, who's riding a rim that narrow these days?

WTB Asyms have been doing right by me; offset spoke holes are an idea I wonder why it's take so long to catch on. They build a stiffer wheel - defiantly appreciated on the Riot which is not the stiffest frame in back.

mtbr member
    What's your price range?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Im looking at about $500 for the set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Save up alittle further. It will be worth your money to go thru colorado cyclist and get some base custom wheels built up.

for roughly $650 could get a set built up thru them with spank hoops, decent spokes, and hope hubs.

Not the best wheelset on the market but a great budget build at half the price of a great wheelset.

mtbr member
    Here is my wheel build. For about $800 get nice light(1800 grams), stiff and wide carbon wheel set.

Light Bike 38mm carbon rims
    https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-...strongest.html

$420 for two shipped

Novatec D54X hubs
    Hubs-D542SB
    Hubs-D541SB
    $200

Custom wheel build with spokes and nipples.
    $200

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I would go higher grade hubs and lower grade hoops.... that being said Im now on noble carbon hoops cx-rays and onyx hubs but i think hubsessed would agree... (surprised he hasn't posted yet)

I have been thru many wheelsets and so have two of my buddies other guys on i9's and onyx with nox hoops currently. I have ridden everything from sram or shimano wheels to baller wheel builds and can say i would get the best hub you can and run a flow, spank, or easton hoop (budget strong hoops all 3) and run a decent hub like the hope or if you can fork out like $750 for wheelset get i9s thru the company i mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    I think the Spanks have the best ability to stay true and shrug off hits. Good reliable wheel.
    2nd this!! Dusty (HUBSESSED) built me up the 30mm internal 345 by SPANK. Running 2.5 Minions and it's a mental set up!

And ONYX hubs...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions; i ordered a set yesterday from crc, pro4 hubs, flow mk3, comp spokes. I was happy with my last set of flow ex so im hoping these are as good.
    Thanks again everyone!

I'm with stupid
    Why not just order Canfield wheels for your riot. I have a set and have been very happy with them. They could be a bit wider to keep with the latest trends, however I run Highroller 2 tires and it seems to be the perfect inner width for those tires.