Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?- Mtbr.com
    Uncle

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?

Hi all.
    Have owned my YS for about a year now. Great bike, super fun with the short stays. With the short stays comes some design challenges that have resulted in a limited number of crank/chain ring options. Specifically, the drive-side chain stay will work with some cranks and chain rings but not all, especially as some NW rings have thicker and taller tooth profiles.

Information about what will work and what won't seems to be pretty well documented but it's often buried in huge threads not specifically related to this subject, so I thought I'd start one with the hopes of gathering success stories here for other YS riders.

Here's what I can contribute thus far:
    2013(?) YS frame, size L (might matter, don't know). Currently using Shimano XT M770 gen cranks with a single chain ring (1x set up).
    • HBC (RIP) 32t: worked without issue when mounted in the 'middle ring' position, had about 1mm clearance between teeth and CS;
    • Race Face NW 32t: when mounted in the 'middle ring' position, required 1mm spacer between the DS seal and crank;
    • Blackspire Snaggletooth 30t: Due to inboard offset chainline (keeps the chain off of the crank mounting tabs), it also required 1mm spacer between DS seal and crank.

**I used a spare Enduro BB cup seal (orange one) as the spacer. I understand doing this means a bit less purchase for the non-DS crank arm but it's working just fine thus far and moves the two mentioned rings just far enough away from the CS.

Not yet tried: I have an e-thirteen TRSr DM crank with a 32t Guidering (model name of e-thirteen's NW ring option). The chainline listed on these cranks is 49.5mm so I doubt it will fit. I'll likely order a 30t Guidering, and at the same chainline I'm hopeful that it will fit with ample clearance.

Yelli Screamy riders, what is working for you? Post up and help the next guy get it right faster.

PS - Let's keep this thread focused specifically on crank / chainring combos.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 03-10-2015 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just built up my YS about a month ago. 2014 L frame. I'm using Saint cranks (1x10), and replaced the stock ring with a 32T Raceface NW, which did require a 1mm DS spacer. I had a 30t on the 'donor' bike, but that pretty much had the chain resting on the chainstay, so I had to either get rid of the 11t cog or move up to the 32t ring. No guidering - the Zee setup seems to work well without one.

The only issue I've had, is after a couple of rides I found I had dropped a chainring bolt, and 2 of the remaining 3 were loose. I replaced all 4 (gotta have a matching set!) and got some blue loctite for security. That was a Saint issue though, not the YS.

mtbr member
    12' YS size M. Previously ran 1x10 using deore triple crank and raceface 30t without ds spacer. Did not run guide and it shifted great and worked well for a budget build.

Just upgraded to X01 1x11 with SRAM 30t ring and having issues with alignment and clearance. The ring fits with the DS spacer but the alignment is off and it will drop during backpedaling. With spacer removed alignment is good but ring rubs chain stay.

Ordered a north shore billet 28t ring and will install on Friday and post some pics/results.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    12' YS size M. Previously ran 1x10 using deore triple crank and raceface 30t without ds spacer. Did not run guide and it shifted great and worked well for a budget build.
    ATXZJ, was your RF 30t a narrow wide ring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    ATXZJ, was your RF 30t a narrow wide ring?
    Yep, best $45 ive spent on this bike. Non-clutch derailleur, never dropped a chain.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just finished my 2013 frame build a couple months ago. SRAM X9 cranks, Wolftooth 30t chainring, x9 type2 rear mech. No BB spacers and it fits perfect. The clearance is very small, but the chain-ring does not rub or contact the chainstay.
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Last year I used a Shimano Alivio 3x9 Octalink crankset (22/32/44). No problems at all. This year I redid the drivetrain and am running Deore 3X10 Hollowtech (22/30/40). Again, absolutely no problems with installation. Really the only drivetrain issue I had to resolve had to do with tire clearance and the front mech. I squeezed a Continental Trail King 29x2.4 on a Velocity P35 in there. I ended up re-dishing the wheel 5mm to the NDS and using a Shimano XT direct mount FD with the bottom pull lever cut off and the plastic spring cover removed. This season I'll be running a WTB KOM i23 rim and Kenda Slant Six 2.2s with tons of clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I squeezed a Continental Trail King 29x2.4 on a Velocity P35 in there. I ended up re-dishing the wheel 5mm to the NDS and using a Shimano XT direct mount FD with the bottom pull lever cut off and the plastic spring cover removed. This season I'll be running a WTB KOM i23 rim and Kenda Slant Six 2.2s with tons of clearance.
    Good choice

I'm running the exact same 2.4 TK on stans flow wheels and love the large case volume. Im able to get up ledges much easier with a quick bounce then application of power. Yet to bottom out that thing but it is tight and the CS/BB peels stones off during the muddy season. Obviously no front derailleur issues though

On the downside, they are pretty heavy.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-img_20141208_195634.jpg
    Old combo: shimano XT rear with deore triple using single race face 30T

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-img_20150316_203853%7E2.jpg

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-img_20150316_203928.jpg

New combo: Sram X01 with north shore billet 28T direct mount.
    This ring allowed me to run without a spacer on the drive side and had the correct chainline. Looks sharp too!

Marcus
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

Uncle
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150316_203853~2.jpg 
Views:	1690 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	973767
    Looks sharp too!

Marcus
    That's an understatement my friend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Great idea for a thread. I am currently running SS with shimano xt hollowtech and race face 34 nw. I originally wanted to build this as a 1x10 but could not get what I believed to be an acceptable chainline. I also have a 32 blackspire mono veloce. I now wonder if I should give it a go on the 1x10?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Truvativ/SRAM XX 26/39 2x10, 166 q-factor: GXP bb with both spacers on the drive side. The 39 is VERY close to the chainstay but since the frame is soooo stiff through the bb area I get no interference/rubbing. I would worry about this same crank and the narrower q-factor: your heels would frequently rub the cs.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by fastboy143 View Post
    Truvativ/SRAM XX 26/39 2x10, 166 q-factor: GXP bb with both spacers on the drive side. The 39 is VERY close to the chainstay but since the frame is soooo stiff through the bb area I get no interference/rubbing. I would worry about this same crank and the narrower q-factor: your heels would frequently rub the cs.
    Thanks for posting up. How is the clearance tire-to-FD when on the 26t ring, and how wide is your rear tire? I've read that with the a 3x crank the limit is ~2.2", but probably wider for you with only 2 rings?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Just upgraded to X01 1x11 with SRAM 30t ring and having issues with alignment and clearance. The ring fits with the DS spacer but the alignment is off and it will drop during backpedaling. With spacer removed alignment is good but ring rubs chain stay.

Ordered a north shore billet 28t ring and will install on Friday and post some pics/results.
    I am trying to use a raceface 30T with triple SLX, installed in middle position, and already have one DS spacer. Won't even turn when installed.
    How did you get by without any? Did you install on the outside?
    2013 Canfield Yelli

my body breaks the falls
    On my XL I've never tried a FD. I run Trvativ Noir cranks, standard SRAM bottom bracket, Race Face 32 NW in the middle ring position and it all works fine. Mid cage X.9 RD.
    Prior to the NW I did drop the chain a couple times and it got nicely wedged between the ring and the chain stay. One time I had to pry it out.
    I also have a "bailout" in that I put a 24 tooth inner ring in case 32x40 ever becomes a struggle. Of course it would be a manual effort to drop the chain down, but if I am in need of that gearing I'm probably stopped anyway
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Thanks for posting up. How is the clearance tire-to-FD when on the 26t ring, and how wide is your rear tire? I've read that with the a 3x crank the limit is ~2.2", but probably wider for you with only 2 rings?
    Don't know if this helps. But I run SLX triple with one drive side spacer per instructions. With Ardent 2.4 on Arch EX there was minumum rub when riding. The same Ardent 2.4 on Blunt 35 and it won't budge without series effort, in the stand...
    2013 Canfield Yelli

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have SLX double M660 crankset with a Race Face Narrow Wide 30t.

I was running two BB spacers on the drive side which resulted in a chainline that was not optimal, so I ended up filing the drive side chainstay about a millimeter so I could run it with a single drive side bb spacer.

I could not come up with an alternate solution but I am happy with the chainline now.

I also tried a Race Face 32t narrow wide and it also would not fit without 2 spacers on the drive side.

I'm sure this voids the warrantee and a man smarter than I would have better ideas.

Canfield Bikes
    The Yelli was designed around a 3X crank with 50mm spacing. This was pre-narrow wide. We tested with a SLX and a X9 crank. Other cranks like XX1 and XTR have a narrower chainline so it will be harder with cranks tighter than 50mm. 2x and NW rings are both tighter so they need some special spacing. We have had good luck with using a combination of BB spacers and spindle spacers.
    https://canfieldbikes.com/
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been using sram gxp narrow wide direct mount rings. First tried a 32t wolftooth but couldn't get it fit (described somewhere on this forum 2 years ago), so generally been on 30t, Wolftooth, and now Works Components. The pic is their 28t, fitted for Machynlleth Dyfi Enduro (lots of climbing). Works Cpts seem to have chainline a couple of mm further out than Wolftooth so will try 32t for summer.
    BB is Hope (because I live in the UK and don't like buying new bearings every few months) with Chris King GXP adapter.
    Shimano XT 1x10 with 40t from chain reaction cycles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-dsc_0285.jpg  

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by arclarke View Post
    Works Cpts seem to have chainline a couple of mm further out than Wolftooth...
    Thanks for posting this info. Does the chainline work okay on the largest rear cog, and what is your largest tooth count out back?
    Will contact WC for clarification about the chain line. Could be of special interest to other YS riders for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've just ordered the WC 32t, will let you know - I have a suspicion they've changed the chain line since their first ones. With the 28t I moved the BB spacer to the LHS and have good chainline - will need to go back in for 32t.
    Largest cog is 40t Absolute Black - works fine, with OneUp jockey cage on the mech - better than Hope 40t which dropped the chain when backpedalling (and wore out faster than I liked).

mtbr member
    XL frame, M660 cranks with a raceface 32t n/w mounted in the middle position.
    Chris King BB and 2.5/.8mm combo of spacers on the drive side. Works well as a 1x10 setup with a zee rear derailleur and xt 11-36 cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    32t from Works Components - just fits, 1mm clearance - which is a good 1.5mm more than the Wolftooth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-dsc_0483.jpg  

mtbr member
    by moving the crank further outboard towards the right either by adding bb spacers and/or spindle spacers, aren't you running the risk of the NDS suddenly being thrown off?

afaik the YS is designed to have 1x2.5 bb spacer given a 73mm bsa bb shell.

i myself am running an slx 2x crank with rf nw 30t with 1x2.5 bb spacer... can't go beyond 30t nw given this setup.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racerjerm View Post
    I am trying to use a raceface 30T with triple SLX, installed in middle position, and already have one DS spacer. Won't even turn when installed.
    How did you get by without any? Did you install on the outside?
    That's bizarre. I have the race face nw 30 on xt 770 cranks with one spacer and its fine. A 32 will also work for me but it has to have standard teeth.

mtbr member
    Anyone with a NW oval ring on a pre-2015 YS? Ie absolute black?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    That's bizarre. I have the race face nw 30 on xt 770 cranks with one spacer and its fine. A 32 will also work for me but it has to have standard teeth.
    Yes went with (2) 2.5 spacers. Bought two other sizes and will try them. But for right now it works fine for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-image.jpg  

2013 Canfield Yelli

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerjerm View Post
    Yes went with (2) 2.5 spacers. Bought two other sizes and will try them. But for right now it works fine for me.
    how's the NDS crank holding?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    how's the NDS crank holding?
    No problems so far. But only a couple rides on it because of all this stinking rain!
    2013 Canfield Yelli

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    update - still running Shimano Deore 3x10. Changed to B+ wheels and tires. WTB Scraper i45 and Trailblazer 27.5 x 2.8 tire. Minor chain to sidewall rub in the 22-36 granny gear. I might add a spacer if it bothers me enough, but it is less rub than I get on my fatbike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a Med YS running the following:

- sram X0 direct mount cranks
    - MRP 32 tooth front chain ring
    - 2 spacers on drive side of bottom bracket, see below
    - 12-36 10 speed cassette
    - KMC 10 speed chain
    - MRP top guide

I needed 2 spacers on the drive side of the bottom bracket to keep the front chainring from rubbing on the chainstay. I also had to shave down one of the spacers so that the non-driveside crank arm didn't bottom out on the bottom bracket shell.

I would like to add a narrow wide 32t wide chain ring up front but I think I don't have enough room. Any suggestions on which narrow wide has the correct spacing to keep things from rubbing? Sounds like the Works Components may be what I am looking for but they are on the other side of the pond and I would like to purchase something in the US in case it does not work out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvar View Post

I needed 2 spacers on the drive side of the bottom bracket to keep the front chainring from rubbing on the chainstay. I also had to shave down one of the spacers so that the non-driveside crank arm didn't bottom out on the bottom bracket shell.
    Aren't SRAM GXP cranks floating on the DS? I'm trying to understand how adding spacers on the DS will move the crank outboard to reduce rubbing on the CS...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Aren't SRAM GXP cranks floating on the DS? I'm trying to understand how adding spacers on the DS will move the crank outboard to reduce rubbing on the CS...
    that's my experience...

I suggest trying wolftooth direct mount for Sram BB30 short spindle - and add a 2.5 spacer on the non drive side (take spacers off the DS). The BB30 version adds about 5mm to chainline and the spacer will take half that off again, seeing as the line is fixed at the NDS.

mtbr member

slx double
    rf nw 30t
    one 2.5 ds spacer
    chainline at 50mm

im still thinking if a way how to have a nw ring at 32t or 34t max

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

slx double
    rf nw 30t
    one 2.5 ds spacer
    chainline at 50mm

im still thinking if a way how to have a nw ring at 32t or 34t max
    That looks great, plenty of room. Is your SLX a double by design? I have a 3x SLX that I run 1X. Ran a 30t race face narrow wide for a short while but it made contact and scratched the stay. I had nowhere near the clearance you have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    That looks great, plenty of room. Is your SLX a double by design? I have a 3x SLX that I run 1X. Ran a 30t race face narrow wide for a short while but it made contact and scratched the stay. I had nowhere near the clearance you have.
    yes, slx double, fc-m677. no other mods, remove the 2 rings, whack in the rf 30t (came with built in threaded spacers). the bolts used were the original bolts that came with the crank.

i did however i still did manage to scratch the top portion of the chainstay nearest the crank. you can see a nicked porition on the CS - it looks small top view, but the view sideways is scratched. i'm quite certain it was the chain that slapped it hard since the chainring has no reason to reach the CS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Anyone with a NW oval ring on a pre-2015 YS? Ie absolute black?
    Yes a 32t oval on an xt crank (double) crank. 1 black spacer and 1 road alloy spacer (1mm). Just enough room.

That with an aerozine 42t expander on an 11-36 cassette gives enough range for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexhayes1981 View Post
    Yes a 32t oval on an xt crank (double) crank. 1 black spacer and 1 road alloy spacer (1mm). Just enough room.

That with an aerozine 42t expander on an 11-36 cassette gives enough range for me.
    Got a pic of this dude?

So this means you're effectively at a largest ring of 34t....

Sent from my 4013K using Tapatalk
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I will get you one, probably later tonight as I'll prepare for an early ride out tomorrow am.

On the power stroke at least, yes 34t.

mtbr member
    I will get you one, probably later tonight as I'll prepare for an early ride out tomorrow am.

On the power stroke at least, yes 34t.
    Thanks looking forward.

What concerns me with this setup are:
    - NDS crank has lesser clamping area which may lead to this suddenly disassembling (?)
    - shifting difficulty (ghost) up/down the larger cassette ranges or not able to shift at all
    - severe chainline towards the larger cassette ranges which may upset the chain and/or rd

Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    3 endurance races this year without any issues. well, the last one I had some issues but my 13t was damaged upon inspection.

Shifting is sweet, I have a similar set up on my bronson, albeit a 40t hope expander and not the 42t.

The crank was set up with 2 full spacers previously in order to clear the double chainings. It had fallen off in that set up, but it's been ok so far with dropping half a spacer.

mtbr member
    Got a clearance pic? Intsrests me really

Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Race face 30t narrow wide, xt 770 triple cranks, one 2.5mm spacer.

mtbr member
    @alex, thanks for the info. 1x2.5 shimano bb spacer + 2x0.5mm wheels mfg spindle spacer did the trick.

i'll try to trim down the 2.5mm bb spacer down to 2.2-2.3 so I can use 3x0.5mm spindle spacer to give it more clearance. using 2.5mm + 3x0.5mm do not engage the plastic lock in the NDS crank so I might trim down the bb spacer.

i think some nasty drop which will flex the chainstay will bind the ring... haven't ran into this yet tough...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm thinking of having a friend of mine custom lathe a ring about 1mm thick to put on the spindle to mate at the inner surface of the non drive side bearing. Can anyone tell me why this would be a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
    I'm thinking of having a friend of mine custom lathe a ring about 1mm thick to put on the spindle to mate at the inner surface of the non drive side bearing. Can anyone tell me why this would be a bad idea?
    because it will cost more? unless you really have a generous friend of course

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
    I did that last year for my x9 cranks - it works well. Have your friend make the spacer out of stainless or stronger. I made mine out of Aluminum and they crush easily. Keep an eye on the crank bolt to make sure it doesn't loosen given the reduced engagement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I installed RaceFace SixC cranks with a 30t NW and Hope 30mm BB on my 2013 Yelli last night. It rubbed with one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. I'm running two spacers now and it works great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For our customers wanting to run a N/W ring on their Yelli and are having issues getting proper stay clearance, we have an option that will help you if you are running a Sram style crank. Our N/W chainrings offer a slightly wider offset than a standard GXP BB chainring. Most GXP style cranks run rings with a -6mm or -7mm offset, our rings offer a -3mm offset and will give most Yelli customers running Sram style cranks the clearance they are looking for. Note that this will push your chainline out a tad, but it will offer proper clearance to run a 30, 32 or 34t N/W. Also, we do not recommend using a BB30 chainring as the +1mm offset, will push your chainline too far out.

Canfield Chainrings.

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-canfeld_brothers_chainrings.jpg

....just cruisin through
    Shimano XT double (M785) crankset with a RF bash (32) on the INSIDE of the 104mm circle, and a standard Shimano 28T "granny" on the 64mm circle. The 28T has longer teeth and no shifting ramps = no dropped chains (ever). This is with a SRAM Type II RD. Chainline is perfect. One 2.5mm DS spacer. Pay no attention to the 2.5 Minion DHF rubbing on the CS...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?-p4pb9897640.jpg  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Killington / the new YS has better clearance? What can I expect to be able to run tire width. And would I have any chainring restrictions with XT bb and cranks. 1x11. Possibly 2x11.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrazm View Post
    Shimano XT double (M785) crankset with a RF bash (32) on the INSIDE of the 104mm circle, and a standard Shimano 28T "granny" on the 64mm circle. The 28T has longer teeth and no shifting ramps = no dropped chains (ever). This is with a SRAM Type II RD. Chainline is perfect. One 2.5mm DS spacer. Pay no attention to the 2.5 Minion DHF rubbing on the CS...
    perhaps you can dish it towards the DS CS - I can see usable space there. I can't see clearly whether this will clear the NDS CS, but worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    Killington / the new YS has better clearance? What can I expect to be able to run tire width. And would I have any chainring restrictions with XT bb and cranks. 1x11. Possibly 2x11.
    Definitely more clearances on the Gen 2. The new CS yoke allows for easy set up with all drive train options. On the tire front, we are currently designing all our bikes around a Maxxis 2.5. This allows us to have the shortest stays possible, with good crank clearances and the ability to run an aggressive tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh I would love to set mine up like this, what bottom bracket are you running?

I tried this with my XT cranks, shimano bottom bracket, 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side and it will not work. The granny gear rubs on the chainstay. Not sure what we have different...details would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    looks like im going to need a top guide offered by the likes of mrp amg v1. just not entirely sure of the fit how the upper guide will clear the changing diameter of the oval ring....

chain slapping the upper portion of the cs during hops and drops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've not had this issue, what rear mech are you using?

Will a guide work on an oval?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've not had this issue, what rear mech are you using?
    I have - clutch had failed on shimano mech.

mtbr member
    So I've got chainline issues with my RF 28T chainring and XT 11-42 cassette. Backpedaling results in the chain dropping down two or three cogs when I'm in 'granny'. I currently have one 2.5mm drive side spacer in place. Is there a solution to this problem? If I remove the spacer, do I have to add it to the non-drive side?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think that's just a common occurrence with having a cassette expander. Both my bikes do this. I'm not usually back pedalling in my 42 as I'm usually blowing out my behind if I'm using it

mtbr member
    I think that's just a common occurrence with having a cassette expander. Both my bikes do this. I'm not usually back pedalling in my 42 as I'm usually blowing out my behind if I'm using it
    Hmm, food for thought. The chainline still looks a little extreme though.

....just cruisin through
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvar View Post
    Oh I would love to set mine up like this, what bottom bracket are you running?

I tried this with my XT cranks, shimano bottom bracket, 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side and it will not work. The granny gear rubs on the chainstay. Not sure what we have different...details would be appreciated.
    Are you running the 3X crankset? I am running the 2X. Standard Shimano XT bottom bracket.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Are you running the 3X crankset? I am running the 2X. Standard Shimano XT bottom bracket.
    Yup, I am pretty sure mine are 3x, that must be my issue. Thanks.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I think I have found the optimum 28T Shimano 1x11 chainline (RF Turbine Cinch Crankset) by using these 1mm spacers, one on the drive and one on the non-drive side: http://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufac...rds=1mm+spacer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    FWIW, I think I have found the optimum 28T Shimano 1x11 chainline (RF Turbine Cinch Crankset) by using these 1mm spacers, one on the drive and one on the non-drive side: http://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufac...rds=1mm+spacer
    so cassette spacers = bsa bb spacers?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    It says cassette/BB spacers. They worked just fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just wondering if anyone is running or has tried running the e*thirteen TRS+ crankset with a direct mount ring. I've got the thing installed with one driveside 2.5mm spacer and it torques all the way down and spins freely. The issue is the direct mount guidering in 32t rubs the chain stay on the wide teeth. Any idea if the 28t will give me enough clearance? From what I can find the offset is the same on both rings, so it's the difference in outside diameter that will have to be enough. I believe they are 132-135mm for the 32t and 116-118mm for the 28t
    Join us for a ride

San Jose Mountain Biking

and "Like" us on Facebook.

Uncle
    I never got around to trying the TRS+ cranks on my ys frame, but my sense was that the 28t was the maximum teeth that would work due to a more inboard chainline than most cranks.

mtbr member
    an m8000 non boost crank with 32t 1x will clear a 2014 YS using just 1 bb spacer (the one included in the kit. no need for shims.

Canfield Yelli Screamy

n00b
    Anyone have a 32t Race Face Turbine on their Yelli?

Sent from my R2 unit

mtbr member
    2013 frame, Race Face BB & Ride 1x cranks, 1 non drive side spacer, 2 on the drive side, 11-36 cassette. My chain line in the big cogs is a mess. I also get the 2 gear drop if backpedalled while on the biggest cog. Not planning on doing that much, but while climbing in the lowest gear, the chain line is jacked. I guess that's the life of a short CS 1x bike. I'm expecting lots of wear.
    2017 Canfield Brothers Riot
    2012 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just installed a Race Face Turbine Cinch on my 2015 YS. Running a Garbaruk 30T Melon (oval) chainring. I have the use 2.5mm DS spacer in to avoid rubbing. The chainline SUCKS. I get 3/4 of back pedal rotation before the chain drops 2 gears. XT 11x42 Cassette. I just ordered some of those ^^ 1mm spacers to see if I can bring the drive side in a little further. Basically I am not sure we can run oval chainrings with cinch. The round Garbaruk 30T has a 47.3 chainline, and might fit without the spacer. I will play around with it and report back.

Pipe Dreamer
    Got a standard Canfield ring for my '13 Yelli since I'm looking at getting some bigger tires and the FD was already close to my 2.2". I had originally ordered a 36T but remembered this thread and emailed Canfield before the order was shipped. Luckily Sean caught it and swapped it for a 32T.

Only one ride on it so far, but I think I'm really going to like this setup! It's like a SS with 10 speeds. I've got some room to move the ring in for a better chain line, so I'll add some spacers to move it inboard. Works great as is, tho!

n00b
    Right now I'm running an older XT crank on my 2015 Yelli.
    But it's half silver, half black.
    And will be moved back to my other bike.
    Really tempted to stay with Shimano because of price and how easy they are to mess with.
    Anyone a fan of the XT m8000 or 785 on their Yelli?
    What's the spacer situation?

Sent from my R2 unit

mtbr member

Unofficial Yelli Screamy crank / drivetrain question thread - what's working for you?

m8000 with ab oval 32t here. had to add 2x0.5mm spindle spacer in addition to the 2.5mm bb spacer

Last edited by spyghost; 03-13-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

n00b
    Cool!
    Pretty much sold on the 8000, even though 96 bcd is annoying and there aren't any color options.

Sent from my R2 unit

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone tried a Narrow Wide, oval, 36t on the 2nd gen? I currently have the 34t NW, Oval on my 2nd gen. Thinking of trying the 36. I have XT M780? Triple cranks.