Spring rate for Jedi- Mtbr.com
    Uphill? What's that

Spring rate for Jedi

Looking to see what spring rate to use on an elka stage 5 for a 2010 Jedi. I weigh in at about 220 lbs. The guide on canfields website puts me on a 600 lb spring but when I called elka they told me to use a 400 lb spring. Just looking to see if anyone out there is about my weight and what spring you are using.

POLAND (Europe)
    In Application List Elka suggest spring M400x6.25x2.75 for you

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a hunch that the Canfield guys know better what spring rate works best on their frames. They only make a few; Elka has to keep track of hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    I have a hunch that the Canfield guys know better what spring rate works best on their frames. They only make a few; Elka has to keep track of hundreds.
    I'd go with the Elka recommendation as their shocks are valved specifically for the Jedi.

I was between 250lbs and 300lbs according to their chart (I weight in at about 140lbs) and 300lbs works for me (I tried 250 and I would bottom out a bit too often).
    If I went with the Jedi Manual formula I'd be using a 400lbs spring and that clearly wouldn't work.

That formula probably applies to other shocks (Fox DHX 5.0, I'm guessing) but for the Elka I'd stick with what they recommend.

Uphill? What's that
    Chris Canfield emailed me and said it should be 400 - 450. I have the 400 and it just seems awfully soft. Guess it is just different from what I am used to. I'll know for sure when I get to send it down the mountain when things thaw out and dry up around here.

Roll on Spring Time!
    My used Jedi with Elka came with a 400lb on and I only got around 23% sag. I run a 350lb and get the 30-33% sag I am looking for and it feels super duper. I am around 185lb dry. I dont know if this gives you a little indication. What sag do you get? You say it feels soft?
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    My used Jedi with Elka came with a 400lb on and I only got around 23% sag. I run a 350lb and get the 30-33% sag I am looking for and it feels super duper. I am around 185lb dry. I dont know if this gives you a little indication. What sag do you get? You say it feels soft?

same for me so i would say 450 for your need.
    since you have a 400 try it on the trail first.
    that said did you just get your elka stage 5? when you start playing with all the settings the 400 might seem good to you.

I have elkas on both my One and my Jedi and both times I aksed Pat at elka and Chris at Canfield for their opinions. Elka recommendations tends to be on the very soft side and Canfield recommendation were more accurate to my likings

Members who have read this thread: 2