mtbr member
    May 2010

SLX 175 boost crank with boost rear wheel on a Riot?

Getting ready to build up a large Riot and decided to go with a DT boost wheelset. Also found a great deal on a SLX groupset, so pulled the trigger on that. Went with 175mm cranks because I have long legs and don't want my seatpost too high. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about the possible problem of short CS, spreading the rear dropouts, etc.

Anyone running 175mm shimano m7000, m8000 or similar cranks with a boost rear wheel?
    Any issues with crank arms hitting the chain stay?

thanks

Nor­wegr
    Most boost cranks just have a different chainring to allow for proper chainline, q-factor isn't changed. Shimano could be different, but I haven't looked into it.

How are you going to compensate for the widened chainstay that leads to the brakemount being off center? IMHO it sounds like a bad idea to pre-stress aluminium like that, the headache of ruined resale and possibly the warranty aswell makes it sound simpler to just get a regular rear wheel.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the Bros have signed off on using a 148 boost wheel on the back of the Riot and Balance in other threads. Supposedly they fit fine with a 148 hub and hardly any widening is required and are actually a bit "loose" with a 142 hub. I haven't built my Riot yet but plan to use a 148 hub when I do.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by willysurf View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Bros have signed off on using a 148 boost wheel on the back of the Riot and Balance in other threads. Supposedly they fit fine with a 148 hub and hardly any widening is required and are actually a bit "loose" with a 142 hub. I haven't built my Riot yet but plan to use a 148 hub when I do.
    That's neat if so, haven' seen that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    That's neat if so, haven' seen that
    You'll have to dig through the Riot thread for the Canfield go ahead but it's there somewhere.

I've been running a boost wheelset with standard Sram Descendant cranks since December. No issues whatsoever. I even switched back to a 142 hub for a little bit when my rim exploded as a result of a manufacturing defect and it wasn't a hassle to swap back and forth. The only real adjustment I recall was slightly reindexing my gears and adjusting the rear brake caliper ever so slightly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What length cranks are your Descendants?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I actually measured my Riots rear spacing at almost 146, just normal tolerances have it pretty darn close to boost.

For folks worrying about the stress of moving between a 142 and 148 spacing, on virtually any bike the stress induced by that amount of flex is incredibly low - go grab your drop outs with no wheel or axle in place, bikes aren't stiff in that axis without the bracing provided by the wheel/axle. Your stays become big, unsupported cantilever beams -flexing less than 1% of their let fth along that axis requires very little force, induces very little strain, and is not generally something to worry about. Surly does it by design, has for decades.

mtbr member
    I'm running 170mm length, DUB bb with one driveside spacer I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronka970 View Post
    What length cranks are your Descendants?
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk