Short Canfield One test in Bike Magic- Mtbr.com
    No, that's not phonetic

Cool-blue Rhythm Short Canfield One test in Bike Magic

Short and sort of uninformative, that is...

Linky

I would love to try one of these.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Your retarded
    The One is not my style, other 2008 Canfields are a little more appealing, but that short review sounded pretty positive. I think this bike might be quite successful with a certain breed of riders.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Leash Law Enforcer
    I would love to try one as well. The Can-Can looks mighty interesting too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sometime in

March '08 is when I'll have mine. Takin a chance with buying before riding, but I think it will work out fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Gris, what frame are you getting and why. I am so torn between the Can Can and the Diggle. I have a Diggle on order and can not wait for it to arrive (whether it is a Diggle or Can Can)

Pivotal figure
    One of my friends is looking at the new frames, hasn't quite decided which way to go yet but seems to be leaning towards The One. I'd like to check out the Diggle and see how different it is from the Balance though...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Look forward to hearing more when people start riding them...I am more on the light/short version of interst i guess....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The One

in size 24 TT. Why, emailed back and forth with Chris regarding what I was looking for, a replacement for my Titus Quasi, riding style, my weight, etc. and he recommended the One as opposed to the Sauce version.

This will be a "rough trail bike" with a little bit of climbing thrown in the mix. Mostly a shuttle bike when the downhill will be a rough technical stuff and the climbs not too long. New term to the MTB lexion may be Enduro bikes. Not sure what that means exactly, but I think my intended use suits that idea.

Smooth, long rides will be on my Burner.

Quote Originally Posted by seppe71
    Gris, what frame are you getting and why. I am so torn between the Can Can and the Diggle. I have a Diggle on order and can not wait for it to arrive (whether it is a Diggle or Can Can)

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    That's a very nice looking frame. It's a cool idea for sure. I had a highline built very light with similar angles for 2 seasons. It was a blast to trail ride a 34lb 7" travel bike that could climb for hours. The same build that I had on the highline would weigh closer to 30-31lbs on the One. Sounds like a blast.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Beautifiul bike.....

but just from looking at those wheels, I know that build is not suitable for my style (or lack thereof)!

Canfield Bikes
    The Wheels are Easton AM Havoc and have been strong so far. It's been a test bike and through a few reviews and there holding tough. 28mm wide seems about right for AM tires sizes.
    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/W..._am_havoc.html

It has 2.35 Maxxis Igniter tires but will fit 2.5's with good clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    The Wheels are Easton AM Havoc and have been strong so far. It's been a test bike and through a few reviews and there holding tough. 28mm wide seems about right for AM tires sizes.
    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/W..._am_havoc.html

It has 2.35 Maxxis Igniter tires but will fit 2.5's with good clearance.
    IDK if it is the photo, or the display on my computer, but about half the spokes were ghosted-out, lending itself to my mistake.

True, 28mm is great for the 2.35 - 2.5 range.

But those wheels are only 24 spoke. Is it enough? I won't know till I try them, but my hope/dt 36 spokes weight about the same as the havocs and have better engagement (going stricly off the pawl count)....
    Hope/5.1: 4-pawl, 1896g *actual
    Easton: 3-pawl, 1875g *claimed

thats right living legend
    I would be curious to know what this bike is "supposed" to be capable of? Is it just a couch for little old men to pedal without taking "any" hits? Or are you supposed to be able to "throw down" like a 7" bike, as well as pedal at the same time?

So far I'm digging thi bike, but not if it's just a couch?
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Couch? I like couches. I will be 46 soon.

Heard some of the same stuff when I bought my Quasi for trail riding way back in '01. Six inches was free ride/downhill territory not trail bike in 2001. Now 5.5 -6 inches is trail bike territory.

I even recall some bike builder mentioning that all the travel you'd ever need on a bike was your knees and arms, that was 1986 or so.

Seven-eight inch bikes that will take 3-4 footers and still pedal all day long, weighing around 33 lbs are where it's at. You can disagree and ride whatever you like. That is what the ONE is designed for, as far as I know, anyway

Check out their website. They build a burlier version for jump/slope style bike folks.

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I would be curious to know what this bike is "supposed" to be capable of? Is it just a couch for little old men to pedal without taking "any" hits? Or are you supposed to be able to "throw down" like a 7" bike, as well as pedal at the same time?

So far I'm digging thi bike, but not if it's just a couch?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkgriswald
    Heard some of the same stuff when I bought my Quasi for trail riding way back in '01. Six inches was free ride/downhill territory not trail bike in 2001. Now 5.5 -6 inches is trail bike territory.

I even recall some bike builder mentioning that all the travel you'd ever need on a bike was your knees and arms, that was 1986 or so.

Seven-eight inch bikes that will take 3-4 footers and still pedal all day long, weighing around 33 lbs are where it's at. You can disagree and ride whatever you like. That is what the ONE is designed for, as far as I know, anyway

Check out their website. They build a burlier version for jump/slope style bike folks.
    So if I wanted to do both, I'd need two, one's?
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Canfield Bikes
    It's really more about what you want to do with it. If you want light and split your time riding dh, xc and everything inbetween, thats the One. Doing mainly DH/ jumping and not worried about piching grams, thats the Can-Diggle (even though it's one of the lightest DH bikes on the market). If you want to run an 8" fork, you need a Can-Diggle. The One runs up to a 7" fork. Both these bikes will pedal and feel identical and can run the same build. You could put a three ring with a 6" fork on the Can-Diggle and you could chainguide a One and run DH tires. Versital is the name of the game here. Both these bikes are easy to ride, both up and down and are plenty strong to handle drops. Chris took the One off Mushroom rock, around 15 feet to good tranny. If your doing that everyday, I would recomend the Can-Diggle but the One can handle it, although thats not the intended purpose.

Edit- It's doesn't feel like a couch. Feels quick and responsive and gives the impression of much less travel until you point it down. Now you have an edge on your pedal head buddys.

It's really more about what you want to do with it. If you want light and split your time riding dh, xc and everything inbetween, thats the One. Doing mainly DH/ jumping and not worried about piching grams, thats the Can-Diggle (even though it's one of the lightest DH bikes on the market). If you want to run an 8" fork, you need a Can-Diggle. The One runs up to a 7" fork. Both these bikes will pedal and feel identical and can run the same build. You could put a three ring with a 6" fork on the Can-Diggle and you could chainguide a One and run DH tires. Versital is the name of the game here. Both these bikes are easy to ride, both up and down and are plenty strong to handle drops. Chris took the One off Mushroom rock, around 15 feet to good tranny. If your doing that everyday, I would recomend the Can-Diggle but the One can handle it, although thats not the intended purpose.

Edit- It's doesn't feel like a couch. Feels quick and responsive and gives the impression of much less travel until you point it down. Now you have an edge on your pedal head buddys.
    Wow! That sounds down right awsome!!! Looks real good too.

And shoot, I won't even walk too close to a 15 footer.

Check!: Just added to the list.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    wow..that sure looks like a fine Enduro ride sounds like an alpine crosser to me

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Versital is the name of the game here. Both these bikes are easy to ride, both up and down and are plenty strong to handle drops. Chris took the One off Mushroom rock, around 15 feet to good tranny. If your doing that everyday, I would recomend the Can-Diggle but the One can handle it, although thats not the intended purpose.
    Ok I will never hit those 15 feet drops and I m skinny at 135 lbs. But I know I can make my 32lbs 5Spot way lighter and then if compared with even the "lightest" CanDiggle (as opposed to the One) there should be no or less overlap.
    Yes it will be great to hear ride review of the bike. Lance, I took the chance though to pre-order a CanDiggle for my DH rig based on your advice.. .. Can't wait ... !

mtbr member
    Yeah I am super interested in this bike. i hope to hear more about it. I am looking first for a tough all mountain sled that can climb well in techy environs but also is great for drops/urban and some shore type riding thrown in. St George has some great downs and drops but you have to earn them first with a good climb. I will get a second bike for full days at bike parks and FR parks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Chris:
    Would you recommend the one for a heavier rider, say 240-250 lb in socal. It is all rock and generally loose over hard pack. I primarily pedal up to go down so it would not be subjected to lots of shuttling, maybe Telonics once in a while or San Juan. I am kind of a straight line guy though.....momentum is your friend right? It would also be ridin on long all mountain type rides.

240 going nothing over a 6 footer.......what do you think? Or would you recommend the can diggle. A 35 pound bike is still very respectable for 7-8" of travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0