Shock settings/info for the One- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shock settings/info for the One

I was going to post a thread asking for a little info from those who are running a Elka on their One. But that got me thinking, there's others out there running shocks of all types on their One's.

It would be pretty sweet to see what others are running and to hear a little about how that particular shock is performing. By the looks of it others are using two different types of shock's as well to summon the different personality's of the One, that type of info would be great!

Some the basic shock info would also be required just so we can create a resource for others. So don't be shy, get that info up!

For me at 197lb's without gear I'm running an Elka with the following settings.

500lb spring
    Sag - 27%ish
    Two turns of preload
    LS compression - 10 out from counter clockwise
    HS compression - 12 in from clockwise
    Rebound - 5 click's in from full clockwise

At the current settings and in 8" mode I find the ride to be almost perfect for an AM setup. Climbing with a 34t (1x9) on a steep loose fire road with those settings keep the bike active on the small bumps, just a minor bit of bob and still propelling forward when mashing the pedals. When the bike has to wallow into it's travel for a brief second the shock still remands alive and rebounds comfortably for me to continue climbing.

Bombing down is when the grin reaches ear-to-ear. Very active under heavy and light breaking, responsive coming in and out of corners/berms. I do feel that when landing from largish drop's it seems to go through the travel some. But in saying that I do feel as if the suspension is still endless. So a little tweaking is still on the cards. Maybe a little more HSC.

I've only ridden it in 7" mode for one session. Little if no peddle induced bob, alot harsher on the descending side of things. I did play around with the settings a bit, but before I could find the sweet spot I had it back in 8" mode again.

So far so good, really enjoying the Elka and love'n the ONE!
    Last edited by bigcrs; 09-03-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Forgot the sag, gotta have the sag

mtbr member
    So this afternoon I spent a little time setting the shock up in 7". To get the sag need I ended up winding back the preload a full two turns. I reset the HSC and LSC to factory recommendations and took it from there.

Climbing seemed normal, maybe a little harder but I put that down to a pretty hard day at work. The first down I did was a smooth flow line, lot's of small-medium jumps to transition's, berms and the odd 4' drop. It felt a little harsh. Though the second down was rough'n'tumble tech, and that's when a change was needed. 3 clicks in of HSC and 2 clicks of LSC clockwise from the middle setting. The result, PLUUUUSSSHHH.

I feel I can still take it a little further too get more out of it, but I ran out of time, and steam. More riding tomorrow. And Oregon on Saturday for 10 days!

Look at the time!
    interesting that you are on a 500lbs spring and still getting the sag you want. Elka's data sheet suggests a 400lbs for your weight, could they be off by 100lbs?
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    interesting that you are on a 500lbs spring and still getting the sag you want. Elka's data sheet suggests a 400lbs for your weight, could they be off by 100lbs?

I often wonder that as well. But before I purchased the frame and while talking with Canfield's, Chris asked me my weight so the could provide the correct spring. I did quote Elka's data sheet, but after some deliberation between himself & Lance he ensured me that the 500lb spring was correct. And correct he was...

mtbr member
    Come on people, lets hear about the X fusions, CCDB's, Fox's, Avy's or why a Monarch works for you. There's plenty to talk about.

No need to write a soliloquy, just a little to keep the stoke stoked!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'll bite: X-Fusion Vector HLR.

Me: 210ish un-geared. Bike: Dorado up front at 180mm, no angleset=63.5 HTA & 13" BB.
    Shock: 500lb spring @ 30% sag w/ 1 turn preload, 200 lbs air, 1 turn air volume, 4 clicks from full-open on the little blue knob (they call it low speed, but describe it as small bump, which I think of as high speed), somewhere in the mid-range of the gold knob (bit of a moving target - still working on this one), rebound 5 clicks from full-open.

Overall I think it's pretty well setup for a DH bike that gets pedaled a ton, and it pedals so much better than any other bike i've ridden in this travel neighborhood, but still rails downhill. I'm definitely giving up a bit on the slower stanchion speeds in favor of pedaling, but screwing with the gold knob intra-ride has been working out pretty well for me to get the best of both worlds. Once it gets up to speed going down, it pretty seamlessly mows down everything and only uses all of the travel on bigger drops.

Honestly, the pedaling magic of the link design is such that I'm tempted to drop to a 450 lb spring, go up on the air pressure, and run the sag in the 35% zone. With the compression adjust so easy and responsive, I'm pretty sure it would still pedal like a champ. The volume adjust is also really nice on the Vector, and I really like the range of progression in the end-stroke. Overall, I'm stoked. Also, I'm definitely going to adjust the Dorado to 203mm mode as soon as I get un-lazy.

Look at the time!
    Spend a couple of hours trying different settings today. Location was pretty rocky DH track, so small bump compliance is a high priority. I basically just rode a short fairly straight, fast, bumpy section with a couple of step-down jumps over and over again to see what feels best.

I am about 170 with gear. This is on a 2011 One.

Elka Stage 5, 400lbs/in spring, 8" mode:

Preload: None. Sag somewhere just under 30%ish.
    LSC: 10 clicks in from fully open
    HSC: fully open
    Rebound: 20 clicks in from fully open (at ~29 or 30 clicks it is closed all the way = slowest)

For good measure, my Fox 40s on the same frame (medium spring):
    Preload: None
    HSC: fully open
    LSC: 5 clicks in
    Rebound: 8 clicks or so, halfway.

This is for DH. For general trail riding I am running a few more clicks of rebound and compression on the shock.

I don't think these settings are perfect, but they seem to work well enough for me at the moment. I will update this thread if I change anything when I get to know the bike better.
    I haven't really tried to mess with HSC much, the track doesn't seem to have many harsh hits that require it (at least not at my speed) and I wasn't bottoming out. I'll dial in HSC if I do start hitting rock bottom.
    Last edited by lelebebbel; 10-04-2011 at 05:58 AM.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    For a few weeks now I've been running exclusively in 7" mode. I'd been toying around as usual, but recently after reading what lelebebbel has been running, I thought I would open the HSC all the way, and keep with LSC at 3 clicks in.

Yesterday I shot up to whistler for my last run of the season there and the One's first resort ride. With the Elka set up as above, it performed well. I was especially impressed at high speed. The Elka/One turned the at speed chatter into almost nothing which resulted in complete control. It responded flawlessly when the bigger drops popped up, cornering again not a problem. So very stable, responsive and stiff. I think the faster I went the brighter the One shinned.

The steep and wet/tech sections were not a problem at all. I feel a lot more comfortable on these types trails, so for me the having the One set in 7" for tech environments is the way to go....

And thanks for the info Good4nothing & lelebebbel

mtbr member
    Considering the versatility of the One I'm been think'n for some time about "Enduroizing" my One. In the last 6 months or so, it's already seen some changes. I started with a 36 Talas, went to a 66 Marz Ti (and love it) and in the past few weeks I scored a Angle Set. As it is now, with the Marz, my bike now features a 65.5ish HA. What a small but refreshing change!

Still curious, I reckon I can get more from this frame. I'd like to be able to lighten it a little to do a couple of enduro races this year. I'm going to keep the Talas and I want to experiment with a air shock. I've seen frames built with Rocco's and a few with Monarchs and the likes.

What air shock are you guys running, I'm keen to hear what your all got to say. What shock should I go with?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run the totem solo air which may have more travel than you are looking for, but it feels like a dream. I had a 66 which I liked but this is in a different ballpark. The lyrik is supposed to feel like the totem but with less travel.