Saucy!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Saucy!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Saucy!!!

Initial thoughts on the Sauce: "holy ****, this bike rocks", "I can't believe there is no hype about this bike", "the color is stunning!, I don't know whether to ride it or display it on my wall"

This bike just flat out rocks. It definitely has to be up there with the best lightweight 5 to 6 inch trail/all mountain bikes on the market (Titus FTM/Motolite, Yeti 575, Turner 5Spot, Trek Remedy, etc...).

Backround - I came from a Titus Motolite. I loved the climbing abilities of the moto but wanted a little more cushion for the downhills. I came across the Brothers and became interested in the Sauce and the One. I was favoring the Sauce but ran across a great deal on a used One that I couldn't refuse. The One is a great bike, love it, but man, I will never ride the bike to its full potential. I'm not into huge drops, hucks that I see in the pictures (I'm too old and my medical plan stinks). After awhile I learned that One could be a little taxing on longer rides with alot of climbing. It started me thinking about the Sauce, a little bit lighter bike that is suited for all day epic, 2 to 3 thousand foot climbing weapon with 6" inches of cushy plushness for the descents. I soon learned the Sauce covers this in spades!

Rider/Terrain - 190lb that likes aggressive all mountain riding with small drops. In Colorado there are the big climbs/descents, technical singletrack and rock gardens galore. In Colorado Springs there is also lots sandy spots, scree and loose over hardpack.

Paint - I don't drink, so I didn't fully comprehend what the color Champaign meant until the frame arrived. The color is just stunning. The anno takes on a different color depending on how the light hits it. Words come to mind like "glimmering gold" in the shade and "sparkly metallic gold" in the sun. I originally got the red links but will get a black upper when they become available.

Welds - Oh my god, the welding is just gorgeous. On par with Titus and Santa Cruz which are known for good welds.

Build - The build up took a day and went very smooth. Transfered all of the parts from my One (the One will be rebuilt in the future). Basically a bunch of XTR parts, lightweight wheelset, and an adjustable 160mm Nixon fork.

Medium Sauce
    -Fork: Manitou Nixon 160mm Infinite travel (Fox Talas 36, hopefully Pushed soon)
    -Rear Shock - Pushed Roco TST R with 500lb Ti coil (Fox RP3)
    -Crankset: XTR, 175mm
    -Front der: XT
    -Rear der: XTR with Q rings and bash ring
    -Chain: XT level
    -Cassette: XT
    -Shifters: XTR
    -Brakes: XTR rear/Hayes FHX front
    -Wheelset: rear - CK rear hub with 819 rim / front - Hope II with Flow rim
    -Stem: some no name highrise stem
    -Handlebar: WC rizer
    -Seatpost: Gravity Dropper
    -Saddle: Specialized Alias
    -Front tire: Maxxis Advantage 2.4
    -Rear tire: Specialized Captain 2.0
    -Pedals: Shimano SPD

Climbing - The Sauce is an exceptional climber, a mountain goat! It climbs just as good as the Motolite I was used to. I am a sit and spin guy so I am not a good judge of out of the saddle efforts. Pedaling is very smooth and the bike has some zip, responding immediately to inputs (better than the One). The Sauce/Pushed Roco combo keeps the rear very efficient but swallows up small to medium bumps with ease. I usually climb with TST/propedal on full or close to full. This keeps the back end up of the bike up and it feels good for climbing. With the TST/prodel off the bike tends to squat a little, not really bothersome until the climb becomes really steep. The parallel link suspension makes climbing in the small ring just as good as the middle ring, no pedal feedback was noted. Technical climbing is a joy. The bike is very balanced, handles switchback with ease. I've also never had a problem keeping the nose down or nose lightening during steep climbs.

Other notes - Standover height is ok, I would call it average (the One's standover is excellent). A couple of times my guys took some abuse after not making a steep technical climb. The Sauce is more prone to pedal strikes than the One, again this is on very rocky terrain. But I'm happy with it because I get no where near the peddle strikes that I had with my Motolite. I'll have to measure the bb but I think it is a tad lower than the One.

Ok, I'm an idiot - My first two rides with the bike where with the Roco TST coil on the back. I then switched over to the RP3 to gauge if I was using all the travel of the shock, which I was. The bike felt great on climbs but only ok (not great but not bad) on the descents. When I put the Roco back on I realized I had been running in the 5" mode the whole time, doo!!! Yes, I am an idiot. The 6" mode breathed new life it the descents, this thing becomes an animal!

Downhill - it's a Canfield, nough said! This bike loves to go downhill. The Sauce goes exactly where it's pointed and effortlessly picks up speed. I was a little worried because the One uses a massive 8.75x2.75 shock but the Sauce uses only using a 7.8x2 shock. I mainly got the bike for rough singletrack and rock gardens, and the Sauce eats these alive. Small bumps are non-existant, medium and large bumps are sucked up. I comes close to being as plush as the One. I could never push the One hard enough to get full travel (always had about a 1/2" of stroke left. Riding the Sauce with the RP3/5"mode I would get full travel but felt no harsh bottom out. With the 6" mode and the Roco coil I don't really know if I am getting full travel or not, but it is buttery smooth back there. Handling is excellent, the bike is very flickable, switchbacks are a breeze because the bike is very balanced. The bike definitely pegs the fun factor! Due to the light tubing I was warned by Chris that I shouldn't do drops over 3ft (he recommends the One for going big) the bike handles great in the air and lands soft.

Low points - not that many. No water bottle mount. Don't care about carrying water but for night riding I would like to put the battery pack for the headlight there. And the known problem of the clearance between the fork and downtube on medium and small frames. No biggie, I just used a Cane Creek S3+5 headset and Ventana 7mm race for clearance.

Customer Service - Your dealing with Chris and Lance! They answer the phone personally. Always a pleasure to talk with (and they will talk your ear off about bikes).

Overall - The bike rocks! I immediately felt at home on the bike (after talking with Darren, at Push, I learned that the Titus Motolite and the Sauce have similar shock profiles). I've often heard that Chris/Lance send the Sauce out for people to review and then never get it back because the reviewer loves it so much. I can definitely see how that happens. If you want to go big get the One (will be keeping my One for lift-served and short rides) but if you want a great all mountain, trail bike get the Sauce!!! And due to the blowout frame sale, the Sauce is a no brainer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7MGTE
    Awesome bike man!!! Your build is tight! I like that you have upgraded lower linkage and coil rear shock, holy smokes.

Man if I had some extra cash I would be getting one myself, nice job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice writeup, these are very underated, underhyped bikes. Need more reviews like yours out there. What is the final weight of the build with both shocks? Guessing you only add a pound with the coil?

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    Guessing you only add a pound with the coil?
    Not with a TI coil, I think he is sporting a TI coil.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the floats are half a pound shocks. The coil alone, if ti, is probably half a pound. Roco's aren't the lightest on the market either so the difference would be a least a pound per my guess, but when pushed are amazing so well worth it. I have a pushed WC that rides amazingly.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    the floats are half a pound shocks. The coil alone, if ti, is probably half a pound. Roco's aren't the lightest on the market either so the difference would be a least a pound per my guess, but when pushed are amazing so well worth it. I have a pushed WC that rides amazingly.
    Ok, I got you, I assumed you were talking steel coil, my bad.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Ti Coil

It is the Ti coil. Very light when compared to the steel. Push made the shock feel like butta! I still remember that day. I drove up to Loveland, gave Darren the shock, hung out at Starbucks for a couple hours, and then got the call that it was done. Even in the parking lot I was amazed!

The Sauce rocks! I'm loving it more every ride. Am starting to do some long rides and climbs with it. Very efficient on the uphills and just rails the downhills.

Haven't weighed the bike yet on an accurate scale. The local shop put it on their scale but said the weight could vary by 3lbs (not very accurate).

Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You will love that thing. I love to ride mine. You should wrap both the chain stay and seat stay. My chain hits both on really harsh down hills.
    Vaughn

Members who have read this thread: 0