Riot - Shock Tuning for CBF- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Riot - Shock Tuning for CBF

Curious to hear how others are running their shock to optimize performance.

I am currently running the Topaz that comes with the more recent model years of Riot.

Currently two volume spacers on the positive side running 190 in the bladder and approximately 180 in the regular air chamber. Volumes are from memory so +/- some air.

Specifically would love to hear someone with the same set up talk about their volume spacer set up and the appeal there.

Curious to throw one on the negative side to then eliminate some SAG and get to take some air out as well. My thinking might be off here (and feel free to correct me here, all for learning more about tuning), but: less negative space = less sag, lower air takes me back up to the 25-30% sag I'm looking for, but then the two volume spacers on the positive side keep it running progressive, so ultimate effect is a softer middle stroke/more plush without really effecting too much on the ends of the stroke.

I'm with stupid
    Wish I could help. I ended up putting a coil on mine and never looking back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I run mostly coil too, but generally switch it around quite a bit between the stock CCDB Air and a DVO Jade. I run both pretty much open on the comp side and set rebound to taste, I'll slow it down a couple clicks for chunky days or speed it up for jumpy days. I'm generally happy with both air and coil and appreciate being able to play around with the feel.

The key bit of info missing from your post is what sag you are currently running, and what you are looking to achieve from the tuning. I've found that I prefer about 18mm of sag but generally 17-19mm works well for me. That's really the beauty of the CBF is you can run it wherever you want based on your preference since the anti-squat and leverage doesn't change much throughout the travel range.

So, without knowing what you're after, it will be difficult for folks to give advice and I promise there are smarter opinions out there than mine. I will say, that the idea of adding a spacer to the neg spring is not something I've considered before and it really seems like something that wouldn't have the effect that I'd want. Good luck with your tinkering! The Riot is a great bike for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    ^^^ This. Tell us what you want or trying to fix and people can tell you what's going on. Then you can contact DVO on the best way to fix it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have the Topaz on my newly built Riot. I'm currently trying 2 volume spacers in the positive air chamber, 215 psi, and 190 psi in the air bladder. I'm leaving the compression switch in the middle, and rebound at about 4 clicks from wide open. I'm 192 lbs in my B-day suit.

The Topaz air can is larger than any air shock I rode in the past, and it feels a lot more plush than I'm used to. I may soon try one spacer in the negative air chamber as I settle on what feels best for me and my terrain.
    Last edited by A. Rider; 02-26-2019 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Im running 2 spacers in negative side 220 air chamber and 190 in bladder
    my weight with gear full 95kilos for sure
    sag 30% oring in dvo logo
    dvo full only but the support is not what I expected and I had read from users all over the world....

my shock has play in the bushings I changed my bushings after 7 months use and now I have cracking noise and play in the bushings side to side and didnt offer me a solution only telling me I had to pay again for new hardware from fox...this is a very annoying and unprofessional...
    sorry for the of topic but this is it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoul View Post
    my shock has play in the bushings I changed my bushings after 7 months use and now I have cracking noise and play in the bushings side to side and didnt offer me a solution only telling me I had to pay again for new hardware
    Yeah, DVO sent me an undersized front end shock mount hardware kit with my Topaz. The rear hardware kit was correct though.

I measured the frame's front end shock mount with digital calipers and got 22.21mm, and the frame's rear I got 35.22mm. I was sent an incorrect 22.0mm kit for the front (measured 21.95mm), and a correct 35.2mm kit for the rear (measured 35.15mm).

So, I just ordered the correct size 22.2mm front mount kit from Worldwide Cyclery, and now I can sleep better at night again.
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...t-22-2mm-x-8mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    Yeah, DVO sent me an undersized front end shock mount hardware kit with my Topaz. The rear hardware kit was correct though.

I measured the frame's front end shock mount with digital calipers and got 22.21mm, and the frame's rear I got 35.22mm. I was sent an incorrect 22.0mm kit for the front (measured 21.95mm), and a correct 35.2mm kit for the rear (measured 35.15mm).

So, I just ordered the correct size 22.2mm front mount kit from Worldwide Cyclery, and now I can sleep better at night again.
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...t-22-2mm-x-8mm
    thanks a lot for your reply my friend
    dvo send me back and telling me when they have the right bushings will sent it to me!
    thats good finally....
    maybe I will order this bushings you sent me....thanks a lot again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    For anyone looking for Topaz tunes I though I'd share mine:

I'm 180ish pounds ready to ride. I've been sitting around 200psi in the air can and between 180-190psi in the bladder. Rebound is 3-4 clicks out from full open. Currently running no spacers in order to get the largest air can possible. I find 28% (16mm) sag works quite well in balancing liveliness and plushness. I've been going back and forth on rebound a bit, but I think due to the extremely rooty and rocky nature of my trails slightly slower rebound might be the better choice.