mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Riot: Rear end flex + pre-mature wear?

I'm curious if anyone else has notice pre-mature wear on their shock bushings, linkage axles, etc, potentially due to the rear end flex on their riot? I've cracked 2 lower shock bushings in about 2 months, my rearward lower linkage axle is showing wear (after 1.5 yr of ownership), and my 11-6 shock has now been sent off due to the lower end unthreading from the shaft.

I suspect all these issues are related to the fact that you can grab the top of the rear wheel, move it side to side, and see the effect that has on the lower shock mount.

Granted I'm on the bigger side of the spectrum at 6'5", 215 lbs with gear, but I've never had these kind of wear issues on previous bikes.

So, anyone else running into these kind of issues, or is it just me?

mtbr member
    I check mine regularly since Im 58 and 200 and ride very aggressive and have not noticed anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    64 and 240 geared on a good day. I had my lower link front bearings get play after 1,000 miles. I thought it was ovalized shock eyelets but it was just those. Fresh set all around and it was back to brand new. Ive had ccdb, db coil and monarch on it, never with any bushing play issues.

There might be some frame flex but you would have smoked a wheel before any of those other issues showed up

mtbr member
    If it's a Gen 1 frame, check shock/frame alignment. Some frames had some issues (that the Bros were happy to sort out)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm 200 and haven't seen any wear. My shock is an Avalanche, the bushings are beefy. I'm anal about keeping everything greased and check to make sure all bolts and links are tight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So, I wanted to provide an update for anyone that might come across this thread.

First off, I don't have a gen 1 frame, and the frame alignment looks good to me when I remove my shock. I've seen pictures of those frames with alignment problems and mine definitely doesn't have that issue.

While I still think the rear end of this bike could use some more support in the upper linkage (something similar to the Balance), it's starting to look like most of my issues were a result of my shock starting to come apart on me. Whether or not the frame is a contributor to that or not, hard to really say.

The wear on my lower linkage axles is apparently normal. I sent Canfield a picture of both after pulling them and cleaning off all the grease and they confirmed that the wear is normal. They also informed me that I should use "plenty of grease on every thru axle on this frame". So I slathered them with grease, re-installed, and the rear end play went away (that's the only thing I did, so that was great advice)! I only have a handful of rides since doing that, but so far I'm back to loving this bike again.

It was a frustrating few months where it seemed like my bike was in the shop more than on the trail, but I've certainly learned some of the finer points of this frame and hopefully how to keep it running smoothly.

And a bonus pic to show my excitement!

Riot: Rear end flex + pre-mature wear?-img_9030.jpg