Riot or balance for quiver killer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Riot or balance for quiver killer

Looking to get a new full squish that can tackle anything from xc to light park duty. Which ones the better all rounder, the riot or the balance?
    Just another redneck with a bike

Chris Bling
    I wouod say the Riot. I loved the Balance, but it's not quite as playful with all that travel. Still fun bike but I would go with the Riot for 1 bike

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'd lean Riot - and I did - but it depends on what you're hunting with that quiver.

mtbr member
    I'd say base your decision on what you ride the most, if you ride mostly XC-Trail and occasionally hit up big DHs/Park, then definitely the Riot, if however you mainly ride big DHs/Park and occasionally do XC/Trail, then get the Balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Cactus Cuddler
    Larger wheels with a little less travel is usually the ticket for better XC performance, and the Riot doesn't really give up much on steep rough downhills. That said, if the Balance is a better bike for at least a third of your riding, then it's the balance.

mtbr member
    Depends on how light the park duty or how overgunned you want to be on the XC parts.

also, please punch yourself in the nuts for using the phrase "quiver killer"

mtbr member
    Seems like everyone at Canfield themselves choose the Riot....That says a lot!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

also, please punch yourself in the nuts for using the phrase "quiver killer"
    Absolutely not

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    These questions can't be asked effectively with zero background info.
    Where do you live/ride?
    Current bike?
    What does a normal weekly ride look like for you? time/elevation
    How often do you ride bike park now?
    The fact that you're asking is informative in itself. I would guess you don't ride any park right now but may like to?

mtbr member
    I'm lucky enough to have both and have ridden them on lots of different kinds of trails. I have my bikes set up vey similarly aside from the wheel size & amount of suspension. I've done comparison rides on the same trails just to feel a difference and love them both. I can't imagine selling one but if you told me I could have only one, it would be the Balance. Yes I can pretty much ride both bikes anywhere but I feel the Balance is more burly and can handle bigger hits and take more abuse. If you not sure, just get both

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Current bikes
    1) ns surge with vengeance hlr
    2) banshee wildcard with 66rc3 Evo

When I lived in PA I rode blue mountain 2-3 times a year, then some more aggressive stuff in between. Prior to PA I shuttled probably 3 times per month. I just moved to Bangor maine, flat local trails and have only met maybe two people into downhill. I plan on riding Sunday river and highland maybe 2 to to 3 times next year.

I've ridden a smuggler on my local trails, setup with maybe 20% sag and essentially used all the travel without trying too hard. I liked the ride, which is what turned me into looking at a potentially new bike, and was the first 29 that I rode and didn't hate.

The balance is still tempting since I essentially have a mini dh build with my 26 parts and cou I do have a light weight 650b trail set up, but I think a 29 wheel will serve me bette r on the flat rocky and root trails that I ride day to day

mtbr member
    Going by this, especially if you plan to hold on to the Wildcard, definitely would say Riot, then you'll have a very nice stable and can pick which bike best suits the trails you'll be riding or type/speed or ride you'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    Current bikes
    1) ns surge with vengeance hlr
    2) banshee wildcard with 66rc3 Evo

The balance is still tempting since I essentially have a mini dh build with my 26 parts and cou I do have a light weight 650b trail set up, but I think a 29 wheel will serve me bette r on the flat rocky and root trails that I ride day to day
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Going by this, especially if you plan to hold on to the Wildcard, definitely would say Riot, then you'll have a very nice stable and can pick which bike best suits the trails you'll be riding or type/speed or ride you'll be doing.
    I plan on getting rid of the wildcard. It feels lacking in the rough stuff, great on smooth trails. Not too many groomed trails up here

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use my Riot for EXACTLY that. A lot of XC and light DH, park. I had a Jedi and miss it but the Riot is very capable of DH. I'm not a heavy hitter but really was amazed that i pretty much ride the same DH runs on my Riot as my Jedi. Mind you, more conservatively but its a great bike for me.

I have cut the speed back to be honest. But that might be more about rider skills than the bike.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Went with the riot. This thing is an absolute rocket

mtbr member
    To me the Balance is more flickable, its easier to get a 150mm dropper to get completely out of your way, Its easier to lean over and get wild and definitely takes big hits better. I would also argue you can get in a better climbing position with that standover and seat angle. I say try both for a few hours
    Ripmo V1