• 05-19-2017
    Jem7sk
    Recommendations for upgrading my N9
    I was going to get a FS bike this year but after converting my 2014 N9 to 27+ I don't think I will because I am really enjoying it...

...so I want to make my bike as perfect as I can. Now I know that a lot of making it perfect for me is subjective so I should probably be focused on making the bike lighter and more efficient. I live in Florida so this bike doesn't take a lot of abuse or need a beefy setup. This is the current setup:

2014 Reba RL 120mm fork
    WTB i35 w/ SRAM x9 wheels
    Rocket Ron 2.8s
    SLX crankset w/Raceface NW 32 tooth
    XT cassette
    Deore brakes
    Koere 40mm stem
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Aluminum bars and seatpost
    Zee rear derailleur and shifter 1x10 setup.

I don't want to waste money on bling when I can get the same performance on something less expensive because I'll probably get that FS next year :) Still waiting to see what the Brothers are going to come out with :cool:
  • 05-19-2017
    jkidd_39
    Dropper... It's amazing how much of a difference one makes... Or carbon wheels... You would be amazed how much flexing an alum run does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
  • 05-19-2017
    dustyduke22
    Suspension, dropper and wheels.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
  • 05-19-2017
    ROFF
    Rigid fork and single speed it.

You'll thank me :)
  • 05-19-2017
    Jem7sk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Dropper... It's amazing how much of a difference one makes... Or carbon wheels... You would be amazed how much flexing an alum run does

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Suspension, dropper and wheels.

Interesting.. Having never used one I cannot see how a dropper would help but I do see a lot of people here saying how great they are. Which one should I be looking at since it is a 27.2?

And the carbon wheels, I would think on a hard tail I would want the more plush aluminum wheels?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROFF View Post
    Rigid fork and single speed it.

You'll thank me :)

I will try this when I get the FS :)

Glad I asked here because this is totally different than the route I was thinking.
  • 05-19-2017
    jkidd_39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Interesting.. Having never used one I cannot see how a dropper would help but I do see a lot of people here saying how great they are. Which one should I be looking at since it is a 27.2?

And the carbon wheels, I would think on a hard tail I would want the more plush aluminum wheels?

I will try this when I get the FS :)

Glad I asked here because this is totally different than the route I was thinking.

It's kind of like disc brakes. You can live on cantis but why.. It makes everything better.
    I've had good luck with the thomson unit but I love my new dvo dropper.

The wheels don't soak up. The tires do. You can turn tighter and rail harder. It's about efficiency. Everytime I get back on alum wheels I blow thru corners for a bit cuz carbon turns in so easily.

• 05-19-2017
    LyNx
    Some great upgrades for your bike....some new/different grips :D

Seriously, I honestly don't see anything that needs upgrading on your build, very nice. As others have suggested, maybe a dropper, but all depends on your terrain and how much steep rollers, drops etc you ride. As to which one to get a 27.2mm, X-Fusion offers one.
    Could also try a 3.0" upfront or if you still have your 29er wheels a 29x2.6" NN, which would effectively slack the HTA out by about a degree, which could be fun, again depending on your trails and how steep stuff gets - I know you don't have to have major elevation to have steep ;)
  • 05-19-2017
    beer_coffee_water
    Inexpensive upgrades:

XT 10 speed shifter. Being able to drop 2 gears in one push is awesome. You can pair it with an 11 speed RD to handle the 10 speed 11-42 cassettes without modification.

Mid-priced stuff:

Wide carbon bar or inexpensive if you prefer something less than 750mm.

Expensive ideas:

High end hubs or new high end wheelset (probably more cost effective).
    Dropper, I miss mine. Being able to pedal for recovery in a non-dirt jumper position is great.
    Fork - Yari, F34, Trace or Pike. They'll add weight but also front-end stiffness and control to help with the bigger tires your are running.

The N9 is an aggressive hardtail and should be built to suit. These are just my ideas/opinions and come from me valuing traction and control for me to be as comfortable as I can on a similar hardtail whether I am climbing, descending or cruising in between the other two. All of my buddies ride FS bikes and I like to keep up on the descents :madman: :thumbsup:. I also do not value sacrificing those two requirements to save weight.
  • 05-19-2017
    dustyduke22
    In answer to your carbon wheel question, not all carbon is made the same. Some will be so stiff, they will beat you to death. I ran the Atomik Chubby on my N9 and it was a breath of fresh air.

• 05-19-2017
    Cornfield
    Jem7sk, let's see a pic of your N9 so we have more to go off of.

I'm not sure I'd get a dropper if you don't have the terrain for it, but I could be totally wrong. Where I live it's almost completely flat, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the extra weight to be able to drop the saddle maybe once or twice per ride.

I also wanted to ask you what bars and post you had, I'm thinking of adding some raw/polished aluminum bits to one of my bikes.
  • 05-19-2017
    chestont
    I agree with most of the sentiment here. Dropper is pretty great but with that seatpost diameter you are limited on options. Do you have a cassette expander 42t cog for your 10 speed cassette? Once again, probably not even necessary if you are riding fine with it as is and don't have a ton of altitude to deal with.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • 05-19-2017
    Cerberus75
    I had a Reba switched to a Pike and it was worlds better.
  • 05-19-2017
    Cornfield
    Ha! I was just gonna say 140mm fork, or more?
  • 05-20-2017
    LyNx
    I will tend to agree with those who are suggesting going to a bigger stanchion fork, I did that 5 years ago when I got my Prime and now none of my bikes run with anything but a 34mm stanchion fork, the steering precision is just worlds better than with a 32mm in rough, tech, high speed. However, it wouldn't be a cheap upgrade for sure, so didn't suggest it with you saying you might go for a new bike next year.
  • 05-20-2017
    Cerberus75
    I just got a Yari (can be found for 500) with the intention of getting an Avalanche cart for it, after I break it in. For the price, I'm pretty impressed with it.
  • 05-22-2017
    Jem7sk
    2 Attachment(s)
    Yeah, the Reba did suck but after I did a full service on it, it performs much better. Still not as plush as I would like. I've been researching on the dropper posts and it seems the only thing I would need it for here is cornering and rough, root sections. We only have a couple of those so I don't think it would be worth it but I may get one any way. I can always transfer the parts to the new bike :)

Here is a pic of the bike... I'm sure most of you have seen this pic before:
    Attachment 1138460Attachment 1138461