quality of yelli screamy frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

quality of yelli screamy frame?

I'm considering a yelli screamy, but need some reassurance on the quality of the frame construction. I have read a few posts about people saying the rear brake mount didn't line up and needed to be filed down. I read someone complaining that the BB threads were messed up from the factory. How is the overall alignment, threads, welds, finish etc.? I know this is a relatively inexpensive frame made at Pacific, but is this stuff the norm or are these just a few freak frames?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mine arrived fine and built up with no issues, everything was great. The frame appears to be well built. I am loving my YS and believe the frame is a great value considering the unique geometry and capabilities.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hrdude; 09-15-2011 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I haven't had a single problem with mine and I've had it close to a year now. I love it sooooo much, I ordered two nimble 9's from them. No issues w/ those frames either.
    As far as the rear brake mount issues, I haven't read anywhere that once people file out the holes, it's causing any problems. Seems to work.
    As far as the BB issue, it seems only one guy had the problem and from what I read and understand, the Canfield's were trying to accomadate the guy the best they could at the time.

The White Jeff W
    No problems with mine. It was a demo from Canfield so it had been built up before I bought it. Ive been riding it hard since spring and couldnt be any happier with the quality and ride.
    No moss...

beater
    Mine was/is just fine. No problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    Mine arrived fine and built up with no issues, everything was great. The frame appears to be well built. The only criticism is that the annodizing seems to be the less durable type. I am loving my YS and believe the frame is a great value considering the unique geometry and capabilities.
    Interesting. What's bad about it? Soft like paint and prone to chipping and scratching?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No chipping, it just scratches a little easier than I would like. It's a minor point, I really like the frame and feel lucky to have one.
    Last edited by hrdude; 09-15-2011 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Same here, just built mine up with 0 issues. I think both issues were 1-off's.

Otsy, you're getting 2 Nimble 9's? If you don't mind me asking, why 2?

General plug for the YS: this bike is the future. Be an early adaptor to your own benefit.
    1 Bike Shy of a Full Quiver

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I received my medium yelli screamy in raw a few weeks ago and have been waiting for parts to arrive. Unfortunately my rear brake mount does not line up. When my frame arrived I could tell that a headset had been previously installed as well as the rear tire, I guess for QA/QC? I've never purchased a new frame before (I own a One 9 that was already built up) so I do not know if this is normal. They did not check the brake mount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Here are some pictures of the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock26 View Post
    Same here, just built mine up with 0 issues. I think both issues were 1-off's.

Otsy, you're getting 2 Nimble 9's? If you don't mind me asking, why 2?

General plug for the YS: this bike is the future. Be an early adaptor to your own benefit.
    I bought two because I had heard there is a limited number produced in Large. I wanted the steel frame for the longer rides I do on my Yelli (so I dont get too beat up) and one was going to replace my SS frame.
    I found that w/ a 120mm fork on my 9 it was too tall in the front for me and when riding very aggressive trails w/ 5-6ft drops and bike parks etc, the tall front end and lack of dopped TT as well as some flex in the steel frame; I actually preferred my Yelli.
    So I sold one 9 to an aspiring biker that works at a LBS.
    Other reason is I love both frames sooo much, I didn't want to get a late jump on getting them and getting left w/ a color that was not first choice. LOL!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Dedicated SS, of course.

Well, I am thinking along the same lines as you. Yelli for shorter, harder more technical riding, Nimble 9 for long haul truckin', mostly techy XC stuff and possibly Endurance MTB racing. What can you say about Yelli vs. Nimble 9 as it regards long endurance type rides and comfort / efficiency / racing abilities?

I have to say, I am pretty surprised with the ride comfort on the Yelli so far. I expected a harsh ride, but it hasn't been at all. In fact, I would venture to say that it's smoother than my old Yeti ASR Alloy. I'm almost wondering if I even need a Nimble 9 for longer rides vs. say just putting a more light and plush wheelset with high volume tires on the Yelli.

Apologies for the potential thread hijack here. To the OP, just give the Canfield guys a call - they are straight up and will work with you. I would say that their goal will be to make you happy vs. turning a profit.
    1 Bike Shy of a Full Quiver

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Like any steel vs. aluminum frames, the steel 9 is more comfortable than the Yelli period.
    But I end up using my Yelli for the longer distance rides because the places I go require (for me) gears and there are alot of tech descents w/ some drops etc. and it's easier to throw the bike around between my legs w/ the dropped TT.

For most of my shorter weekday rides, I ride my 9 as a SS. Sometimes I will take my 9 on long rides where the climbs aren't too bad on a SS but still has plenty of rocks and such and it feels great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Been riding my Yelli on long rides and its been great. Need to stand up more but I feel fresher after a ride than I did on my 5" fs 26er, it does almost everything easier and faster.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    Been riding my Yelli on long rides and its been great. Need to stand up more but I feel fresher after a ride than I did on my 5" fs 26er, it does almost everything easier and faster.
    Crazy right!? Last FS 26" bike I had was a 2011 Yeti 575. I feel that I can descend on my Yelli almost as fast as the 575. Just have to be careful of when gapping roots or rocks etc. I pick a good spot to land/don't come up short; it's kind of painful if I mess up a landing and alittle scary

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks like my new Yellie Screamy frame will be going back to Utah. The holes for the rear brake mount adapter were not drilled properly (they're about 2-2.5mm too close together).