"One" Beautiful Bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

"One" Beautiful Bike!

Ok, finally got the parts and built this beauty up over the weekend. Got one ride on it and all I can say is wow

Frame: 2008 Canfield One
    Size: Medium
    Color: red link color, anodized gun metal

Rear Shock: Marz Roco TST-R and Marz Roco WC (Chris says it doesn't need propedal but I loved locking out the coil TST R on my Motolite)
    Fork: 2007 Manitou Nixon Platinum 160mm IT (coming is a Magura Wotan)
    Brakes: XTR with 170mm rotors and adapters (an old Hayes is on the front for now because it was set up on the Nixon, had no more patience because I wanted to ride!)
    Headset: Cane Creek S3+5
    Stem: Easton EA50 90mm+6 (it was cheap, may be replaced latter)
    Bar: Ritchey Rizer WCS 7075
    Shifters: XTR M970
    Brake Levers: XTR M975
    Grips: ODI Rogue Lockons
    Crankset: XTR M970 (old Rotor Crank Q rings with a e.13 bashguard)
    Cassette: old XT
    Chain: old XTR with Sram link
    Front mech: XTR M971 (it is not the M970 which others have mistakenly put down)
    Rear mech: XTR M971 long cage (please break because I want a new XTR shadow short cage)
    Seatpost: Gravity Dropper with spacer
    Saddle: Specialized something
    Rear Hub: Chris King
    Front Hub: Chris King
    Rims: Mavic 819
    Tyres: Maxxis Advantage 2.4/Conti Mountain King 2.2 Protection (they are proving bombproof for Colorado trails)
    Pedals: old XT clipless (have new XT M770 that I'll put on sometime)
    Seatpost clamp: Salsa
    Cables: XTR cables with XTR front housing and Jaguar rear cable

Weight: 29lbs 29lbs for a 7 to 8" travel bike! The frame (medium) with seatpost clamp, headset and shock weighed in at 7.5lbs.

Future stuff:
    - when the drivetrain starts shifting bad it will be replaced with Action-tec titanium cassette and chainrings (if they ever finish another batch of 20 tooth grannies)
    - have to update the Nixon fork and front wheel to 20mm (I'm liking the Nixon but am afraid when I try the Wotan I'll fall in love with it)
    - add a 7mm Chris King race when they become available again to slacken out the front

Rider Info:
    Height: 5'11'
    Weight: 190ish

Didn't have to many problems building it up. The front deraileur was easy to setup. Routed both the rear d and brake lines to the left of the seat tube like Flip. Both the Nixon and Wotan clear the downtube with the Cane Creek +5. I'll need to add another spacer to adjust the chainline. When I'm in the inner ring up front and go to smaller gears in back the chain starts contacting the front middle ring and shifter nubs. Don't know if this has to do with running the Q rings (never had a problem before).

I'll hold off on full review when I get more time on it but here are some initial impressions. Holy crap! This thing is plush but still pedals just as well as my Motolite did. The brothers aren't lying when they say the one suspension peddles well. And the back is stiff, did not notice any flex whatsoever. I did notice, as I expected, that it had a little more weight than the Motolite had (just confirms I have to ride more and get in better shape) The front feels pretty stiff even with the QR Nixon (I know, shame, shame running a QR on an 7" travel bike)

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

mdc
    mtbr member
    sick.

What kind of riding are you doing with that thing?

trail fairy
    one
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    very nice weight

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    that bike is so much prettier with the mud on it. Way to actually ride the sucker instead of just cleaning it to look pretty

trail fairy
    Be nice to see this again with the Wotan mounted, wicked bike, liking the Roco tst rear!

Keep us posted on how she rides and some ride ripping pic's

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Chose to go for the medium over the large for your height ? Is it going to be used as an AM bike ? I ask because I know Lance told me to go for the large. I am right at your height (plus maybe a half inch) but I am only 150 pounds. Cant believe how easy it is to get these so light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That's real swish Chris

Great choice for a new frame.

mtbr member
    May 2004

It is the "One"

I'm gonna be using the "One" as my all mountain rig. I'm in Colorado so there are lots of big ups leading to lots of big downs, lots of technical and loose stuff. I'm coming off of a Titus Motolite. I progressively built the Moto up as a more aggressive bike (RP3 to Marz TST Coil, fox talas to a longer 160mm Nixon). It's been a great bike, awesome climber but I was starting to push it's limits in the descents. I realized that I needed some more cush so I began looking at 6 inch bikes. The goal was to keep it light (under 30lbs), keep climbing ability near the same as the Moto, and ability to run a coil and 160mm forks. The more I looked at and demoed other frames I just felt the Canfields (One and Sauce) had more to offer. A couple things impressed me:
    - light frame weight for the amount of travel - crap! a 7lb frame and you get 7"/8" and a 6lb frame for 6" of travel
    - the history of building downhill/freeride frames and reputation for building quality bikes
    - suspension technology - this thing is plush but still pedals well!!!
    - botique - I love the bling factor
    - customer service - hands down the one of the best in the industry. Who else would stop in the middle of dirt jumping to answer a call from a customer! Chris is the man

I was leaning toward the Sauce but I got a great deal on a used One that I couldn't refuse (the wife got laid off so I had to watch the finances). The Sauce might still be looked at in the future.

The medium size One fits like a glove (90mm stem). Neither too stretched out or sitting up to much.

Due to the off and on weather here in Colorado I only have two rides on it, but here are some observations:
    - holy crap this thing is solid! It just feels oh so stable. It feels like you can just run over obstacles and the bike will just suck it all up. Despite it being 29lbs it feels burly.
    - the One likes a long fork! The only problem - there's not a fork out there that taps the true capabilities of this bike. It cries out for a 180mm fork with adjustable travel. Manufactures have the 160mm adjustable fork down pat (Talas 36, Wotan, Lyrik) but the a2c isn't long enough. What the One needs is an adjustable travel 180mm or a 160mm with a longer a2c. Then the One can truly get you to the top and just come bombing downhill. I think I'm going to keep the Nixon for its light weight and just slacken it out more with 7mm Ventanna race (CC+5 + 7mm Ventanna race + Nixon 150 a2c = 162 a2c).
    - the bike does pedal very well. Chris is not kidding when he says it pedals well in both chainrings. I still need to take it on rides with some long climbs (+1000ft) to evaluate the Ones climbing abilities
    - the One loves speed. Once you get it going it doesn't want to slow down! Hold on because this thing just wants to rip.
    - this thing eats up drops! I did a few 2 to 3 footers that the Motolite does but usually bottoms out. These drops on the One are a non-event. I can feel the One saying "is that all you got? I want something bigger!". And the One will allow me to go bigger (just don't tell my wife or insurance company that). It would be the perfect bike for all mountain use but throw on a bigger fork and more burly tires and head up the the lift served downhill in the mountains.
    - Hey, for being so stable it is still pretty maneuverable. I have a favorite series of switchbacks on a local trail. The last switchback is a descending switchback to the right where you have to thread the needle between a tree trunk and a large rock (usually a 90% success rate). On the One I hit it perfect!
    - a little negative - it is a little bit harder to get the front wheel up. It's easily overcome with some body english but the feeling is still there.

More observations to follow,
    Chris

trail fairy
    Pity I think you would have liked the Wotan, had you thought of the Cane creek S3+5

Would have been just the answer, gets good reviews this HS.

http://www.canecreek.com/s-3-plus-5-headset.html

Look fwd to more of ya ride reviews anyways

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    May 2004

More pics

Sorry no action pics. Maybe after my wife has our baby girl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Too bad the two-step feature never got worked out. The totem would be quite nice on that bike with that feature.

Members who have read this thread: 0