The One advice needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The One advice needed

After many months of deliberation, backward and forwarding I have come to the conclusion that The One is the next frame for me. It has won me over because of the versatility factor, which leads me to the following question's.

I'm going to be selling my dh rig to help fund it but the question is. Do I keep the Dorado's so I can slap them on (along with a suitable wheel set) for the park and shuttle days and swap back to the 160 Talas for the AM/lite FR days. Or do I go for another type of do it all single crown?

If I decide to keep the Dorado I'm thinking I'll be going with an Angle Set to maybe steepen the HA a little and hopefully gain a little BB height when the 160 is on and slacken it a little when the Dorado called upon. Should I go with the latter theory if I decide to go with a single crown?

If there are some completely different idea's I would love to hear 'em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm running a 180 Talas on mine with an angle set -1 degree.
    I just spent a solid week doing shuttle runs in Ashland,Oregon doing mostly super d type of runs but did some full on DH with drops. I had to a fair amount of climbing on it as well and I never even messed with the Talas---it climbed just fine as is---no bob even in 8" mode. Climbed a lot of forest road and some singletrack--mostly non-techy but there were a few spots. I had a seat dropper (KS950-r with 6" drop") which helped tremedously. I'm seriously looking into selling the 180 Talas and getting a 180 Van.

Back home in Austin, TX I have taken my one out on All mountain rides at 180mm and didn't have too many issues---we have a lot of short ups and downs with a lot of rocks and square edged ledges. The slackness does affect the way I approach the technical ups---it is a lot harder to get up things than on my Pivot 429----but that should be expected. At first I was getting some pedals strikes (running crampons) but I have since swapped them out for the times I run on my XC\AM bikes. I still use the crampons for the Shuttles and DH.

mtbr member
    @ Disco Stu, so your One is running at 63 degree? And by the sounds of it your still able to climb some considering it's built for some fun love'n gravity action. How do find the durability of the frame finish and would you consider it to have a stiff rear end?

I like the sounds of the Van. I could see myself doing the same, and getting rid of the Talas.

@ everyone else (and Disco ;0). Just looking at the numbers, IF I'm reading them right the BB height seems to be measured with the rear travel set in the longest position meaning that when shifted to the shortest setting the BB height would be raised??

Any 6'2" One riders out there, what size frame are you all riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sorry it's +1 so 65 degrees. Finish is anno so it really durable. I ran shuttles all week and and brought it on the plane---only tiny nicks here and there. Rear end is incredibly stiff due to giant pivots and 12 mm thru axle. I ran it in 8 inch mode when i was in oregon and it ate what ever I threw at it. Felt like a BarcaLounger on the the drops.

Bike is burly but nimble. Very stable at high speed and corners well.

mtbr member
    I'm running mine with a 180mm Van at stock head angle (64 but I haven't measured.) I'm still dialing things in, but so far I haven't found any reason to want it any slacker then that.

I say keep the dorado, this bike really is a DH rig, so you might has well have the option.
    "Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck."
    Joss Whedon

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

6'3"

with a long torso running an XL with a 70mm stem.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    @ Disco Stu, so your One is running at 63 degree? And by the sounds of it your still able to climb some considering it's built for some fun love'n gravity action. How do find the durability of the frame finish and would you consider it to have a stiff rear end?

I like the sounds of the Van. I could see myself doing the same, and getting rid of the Talas.

@ everyone else (and Disco ;0). Just looking at the numbers, IF I'm reading them right the BB height seems to be measured with the rear travel set in the longest position meaning that when shifted to the shortest setting the BB height would be raised??

Any 6'2" One riders out there, what size frame are you all riding?

mtbr member
    I reckon I'll keep the Doraod's for sure, why not eh? I just saw kameraguys new post and it looks like he has the same idea I'm running with. Except that I'm going to be going with an Elka for all duties.

Man I'm excited about this frame, in a couple of hours I'm going to pick up the phone and place the order!

******ed or Branded??
    Seems like your already dead set in picking up the One. But I just wanted to put my 2cents in since this bike is just awesome.

I had this bike orginally setup at my AM bike and had a 170mm lyrik with a AM wheelset(kings on DT Swiss EX500), front der., cane creek angleset -1.5
    With the Nevegal tires the BB sat at 13.5, and the HA was perfectly at 66 degrees in the 7in mode. And this is exactly how I want my AM bike to be. Which the One just so seem to fit it.

Well I also had a Jedi coming in but there were a few delays with that coming in time for my trip to Whistler. So I put my boxxer on the One, got rid of the front Der. Put a MRP Chain guide and swapped the front tire for a hadley 823 setup. I didn't have a burly 135x12mm so I ran what I had.
    Did a couple of weekends of DH'ing in this setup before leaving and it really blew my mind. Hit a few big things that I have never even considered attempting and it stomped it like a boss. I did manage to put quite a few dents into that soft DT Swiss hoop. But it was still good to go for Whistler.

So I get to Whistler and was a bit comprehensive about my setup but the bike just kept reassuring me more and more. It handle everything I could throw and it and I don't too big just big enough and sloppy enough to crush a frame. The One didn't give in at any point in the trip. It was stiff as stiff can be and stable on all the high speed stuff with the chunck in it. And boy can it jump. The bike loves the air just as much as it loves to eat up all the gnar on the ground. Too bad I'm not much of a jumper.

The One made me second guess having a full DH rig like the Jedi. But Having to swap parts weekend in and weekend out wasn't really tickling me. Now if the One is this good in the DH aspect of riding I can only imagine how crazy fun the Jedi going to be.

Oh with the DH setup I swapped Headset cups to -.5 and had the HA at 64.5 but forgot to measure the BB hieght but I would guess in the range of mid to high 13's with brand new Minnions. And I assume sat in the 38ish lbs for weight. In the AM mode just in the range of 32-35lbs. Need to weight for confirmation next time.

So in short this bike just rules them all. It really lives up to it's name and can be ridden in any aspect of MTbiking from epic enduro riding to gnarly Dh and everything in between. So either way you go you can't go wrong.

good luck and have fun with you new sick rig!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for that bit of info! Are you running a zero stack or external bottom cup? And are using a 2.50 or 2.75 stroke shock

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Thanks for that bit of info! Are you running a zero stack or external bottom cup? And are using a 2.50 or 2.75 stroke shock
    Zero stack and 2.75.
    Thinking of getting the external bottom cup for the headset to just raise the BB a bit. But then it would mess my HA and it's right where I want it.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure I'll go with an external cup, mostly because for the majority of my riding I'll be using the 160mm 36.

mtbr member
    It's ordered! One large titanium The One w/ black links.

Gotta say also that dealing with Chris over the past two days has been a pleasure. Offering grate advice, following up calls and keeping me up to date. Its all a customer needs to be kept happy! (and the strong Canadian dollar helps as well )

mtbr member
    Headset question,

Considering two things, I'll be running a 160mm fork most of the time and Dorados the remainder, and the fact that the head tube is reasonably short I'm leaning towards an EC over a ZS on the top. One thing is for sure, I'm running a bottom EC.

What do you all think, which way I should go?