Oh, that Yelli chainring clearance...again...- Mtbr.com
    Stayin' Puft

Oh, that Yelli chainring clearance...again...

Sorry I know about the youtube vid and some comments in the big ol' thread over on the 29er forum.

But with a shimano BB cup, an old LX MTB 4-bolt hollowtech 2 crankarm set, an MRP 1.x BB mount as my one drive-side spacer, and an MRP 32t ring I am getting like 1.5mm clearance from the chainstay. This should be a pretty "standard" Shimano 50 mm single-ring setup, but..wow it looks close.

I keep looking at it an alternately thinking "its fine" and "wow...that is going to rub". Sure I could just ride it and see...but trying to avoid scraping up the new purple anno if I don't have to. I don't expect the beefy frame section to flex, but the cranks might. I would feel comfortable with like 3mm...but I don't want to mess up chainline when my plan is to run 1x10.

Can anyone quantify "how tight" is ok for this clearance? I am using allen wrenches sort of like a spark plug gapper. The 2mm does not fit between the ring and the chainstay. The 1.5 does. What are others seeing/running for this clearance?

FM
    mtbr member
    I've ran few different rings on mine, mostly 30 and 32t 1x9 with a MRP Lopes guide, and have always had to use spacers to get the chainrings to clear the yoke.

1.5mm should be enough for the bike to ride fine, but the ano may get slightly scraped up due to flex or rocks getting sucked in between the chain & chainstay yoke... at least that's been my experience.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Does anyone think that the 51.5mm chainline that Truvative runs on their Stylo cranks would provide the extra clearance in the chainline necessary to avoid the scratches and potential chain suckage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Does anyone think that the 51.5mm chainline that Truvative runs on their Stylo cranks would provide the extra clearance in the chainline necessary to avoid the scratches and potential chain suckage?

I think the reason for the tight clearances is to prevent the chainsuck issue. I wouldn't want a gap big enough for the chain to get caught in and really dig into the frame finish.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I run Stylo 1.1 cranks on mine with a single 32 tooth ring/bash//MRP chainguide. All good
    No moss...

Flow
    I just installed stylo 1.1 cranks on my YS and am running a bash-36-22 and have enough clearance. It is definitely tight and my brakes have not arrived yet so I do not know if it will rub while riding or not, but I doubt it.