Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hello everyone. Great builds. Any tall riders on an XL? I'm 6'5" and was wondering if it would be big enough.

Also, anyone been bikepacking with it? I know it is not an idea bikepacking bike, but I am looking for a do it all second bike.

My main ride is an XXL Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie. I plan on upgrading the stumpy and moving the original parts to a hardtail frame. The N9 and the Honzo ST are the two that I am looking at.

Thanks for any advice you all may have.

Ride On
    I canít comment on sizing except to say if it is similar to your existing ride and you like your existing ride Iíd be comfortable with that.

I think it would make an excellent bike packing bike. The variety of wheels you can squeeze into the frame being one of the key benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Pic from Maiden Voyage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20180116_125722.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Pic from Maiden Voyage
    Havenít had my new chrome beast out yet for its maiden voyage. Waiting for trails to dry out or freeze back up. Great looking bike man

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    I canít comment on sizing except to say if it is similar to your existing ride and you like your existing ride Iíd be comfortable with that.

I think it would make an excellent bike packing bike. The variety of wheels you can squeeze into the frame being one of the key benefits.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try to see if I can throw a leg over an XL to get a feel for the sizing.

One ring to mash them all
    Add me to the cult. XL blue N9 on the way.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    Great looking bikes and builds on here! Congrads to all that ride this beast.
    My question I want this frame.. I'm 6'2" at 250 and ride aggressive when I can.. epics..popping off stuff..etc. anyway.. do you think this frame will hold .. ( prop a stupid question...it's steel) and would YOU take this to SedonA??? I have a trip coming up and wouldn't mind trying this bike out there... what you think?
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    No personal experience with the N9, but I'd say if you like how the XXL SJ feels, then most likely you will be good with the XL N9 as the Reach measurement is only 4mm shorter, easily compensated for with a longer stem. What you will notice that's different and that should be easy to compensate for is the effective Seat Tube Angle, it's 1.2* slacker on the N9 as it's a HT, which will steepen up when the fork is sagged, so should only be about .3-.5* slacker and you should set it up to suit, Also saying that, when you sag the fork the effective reach will also lengthen bringing things closer or maybe even longer than the Stumpy.

One other thing to remember if you're looking to swap the dropper is that for some reason spesh likes to make their frames with similar steep STA as everyone else, but then uses a setback post, so in reality the effective STA is actually slacker running that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    Hello everyone. Great builds. Any tall riders on an XL? I'm 6'5" and was wondering if it would be big enough.

My main ride is an XXL Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie. I plan on upgrading the stumpy and moving the original parts to a hardtail frame. The N9 and the Honzo ST are the two that I am looking at.

Thanks for any advice you all may have.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Coming together bit by bit...

-img_0706.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    Coming together bit by bit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	1183162
    Curios as to why you putting a rigid fork on that beast. Makes no sense to me but each his own. Hereís mine just ordered the last part I needed. Chrome dropper lever

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Curios as to why you putting a rigid fork on that beast. Makes no sense to me but each his own. Hereís mine just ordered the last part I needed. Chrome dropper lever

That's a nice build!

Why not rigid? My plan is to ride this bike as a SS, mostly on the less rocky trails around here, the fast, hardpack single track with the occasional rock garden and root mess. If that goes well, I'll take it on the rougher stuff, likely picking my way through the hazards rather than blowing over them. Don't imagine I'll find that too fun. If it turns out that I want to bash, then I'll swap out the fork. For now, the bike gets xc tires and an itinerary of smoothish trails. I'll ride my FS on the rough stuff.

How is the CB crank working for you?

mtbr member
    Absolutely agree, rigid is fun, forces you to ride light and pick your lines, not just let the suspension get you through everything, you know, ride the bike instead of being along for the ride

Put some 3" plus rubber on that baby and you'll see how much more rough stuff it'll handle and not feel like you're getting beat to crap as opposed to regular 2.3-2.4" tyres

Why not rigid? My plan is to ride this bike as a SS, mostly on the less rocky trails around here, the fast, hardpack single track with the occasional rock garden and root mess. If that goes well, I'll take it on the rougher stuff, likely picking my way through the hazards rather than blowing over them. Don't imagine I'll find that too fun. If it turns out that I want to bash, then I'll swap out the fork. For now, the bike gets xc tires and an itinerary of smoothish trails. I'll ride my FS on the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Put some 3" plus rubber on that baby and you'll see how much more rough stuff it'll handle and not feel like you're getting beat to crap as opposed to regular 2.3-2.4" tyres
    Excellent point. Definitely considered 650+ for just that reason but opted for 29s. If the 2.2/2.35 combo that's going on is too harsh, I'll try bumping up.

mtbr member
    That's a nice build!

I love the Cb cranks have them on all 4 of my Canfields. Iím running mine single speed as well. I k is itís hard to find a rigid fork that can put a bike like these In their proper geo. Iíve got mine set up with a 150 ribbon air and 27.5x2.8 tires. Iíve got a epo riot and balance for other rides

mtbr member
    Only 4 Canfields? Good to know about the cranks. Looking forward to trying them out. This fork is 490 axle to crown, so it's not too bad. (Probably similar to your fork when compressed.) Niner, Carver, Whiskey etc... are making rigids for these slacker bikes. But I've seen some N9s on the web with crazy big forks on them that look like a hoot to ride...

mtbr member
    Was actually talking 29 PLUS for the front, something 3", nice and big on an i40-45 rim, side benefit is it then slackens out the front a tad more and really helps with absorbing the chatter and bumps. Couple that with a nice B+ 2.8-3" in the rear on a i35-40 rim and you've basically got a magic carpet type ride out of rigid.

Excellent point. Definitely considered 650+ for just that reason but opted for 29s. If the 2.2/2.35 combo that's going on is too harsh, I'll try bumping up.

mtbr member
    Was actually talking 29 PLUS for the front, something 3", nice and big on an i40-45 rim, side benefit is it then slackens out the front a tad more and really helps with absorbing the chatter and bumps. Couple that with a nice B+ 2.8-3" in the rear on a i35-40 rim and you've basically got a magic carpet type ride out of rigid.
    I get it. Sounds a little heavy for a bike that's main purpose is to fly uphill, but you're right: those tires would suck up a lot of edges. Back in the mid-70s when I was a kid in Pennsylvania I ran the stock rear wheel and big, fat front rim and tire from another bike on my trail bmx and it was a blast. I have some 32mm wide wheels coming, but who knows how this thing is going to evolve.

Ride On

Nimble 9 Boost Ė Now In Stock!

Lucked out and received my 9.8 dropper the day I left for a work trip, where I planned to bring the N9. Finished the install on the ferry, sweet! Got to sample the trails on Burke Mountain in Coquitlam a suburb of Vancouver after work the past couple of nights, nice little trails and was treated to a snow ❄️ ride on night 2.

I had forgotten how good a bike the N9 is for pumping through rollers and popping off even the smallest lips. I freakin love the steep seat angle in my config it works amazingly with the short rear a perfect marriage of geo. Despite the crazy short stays and slack head angle the bike is calm on those stupid steep climbs.

Last edited by geraldooka; 02-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has any one with the matte fire orange frame have issues with the paint scratching or chipping? I've never had this issue with other frames but seems this one scratches just by looking at it and i haven't even crashed on it.

mtbr member
    No personal experience with the N9, but I'd say if you like how the XXL SJ feels, then most likely you will be good with the XL N9 as the Reach measurement is only 4mm shorter, easily compensated for with a longer stem. What you will notice that's different and that should be easy to compensate for is the effective Seat Tube Angle, it's 1.2* slacker on the N9 as it's a HT, which will steepen up when the fork is sagged, so should only be about .3-.5* slacker and you should set it up to suit, Also saying that, when you sag the fork the effective reach will also lengthen bringing things closer or maybe even longer than the Stumpy.

One other thing to remember if you're looking to swap the dropper is that for some reason spesh likes to make their frames with similar steep STA as everyone else, but then uses a setback post, so in reality the effective STA is actually slacker running that post.
    Thanks LyNx. All things to consider.

-img_20180219_141421030.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post

Name:	IMG_20180219_141421030.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	1183732
    Nice! I just finished building one of those up myself, and took it out for its first ride today.

-img_1237.jpg

mtbr member

Post deleted

Last edited by babybabe; 02-20-2018 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member

Shakedown time

-photo-feb-21-11-02-49-am-small.jpg

2018 N9 small
    Chris King 40 head set
    Niner steel fork
    Canfield Bros BB and crank
    Sram 9-speed chain
    Surly cog
    Hope Pro 4 SS/T rear hub (142 w/HUB493 boost conversion), Hope Pro 4 front hub
    Stan's Flow rims, DT Swiss Spokes, wheels built by Gravy
    Sram Guide R brakes (Thanks, 5k bike...)
    Thomson 50mm stem
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Salsa Lip-lock sp clamp
    Chromag Fubar OSX bars

^2 byoots

lets ride
    If you ever want to sell this, let me know...this is the exact thing I am planning on building. Awesome bike!

mtbr member

Finally got mine completed today. Looking forward to getting her out

mtbr member
    Pretty slick build! The Silver Bullet...What's wrong with your seat? haha

mtbr member

Finally got mine completed today. Looking forward to getting her out

Looking fresh and fly. Nice choice of no color. Oury grips and Ribbon fork. Perfection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Looking fresh and fly. Nice choice of no color. Oury grips and Ribbon fork. Perfection.

Thanks man. I really dig how it turned out. Was going for that old school bmx look from when I bmxed in the 80s. Couldnít think of any colors to put on it so ..... chrome and silver it is

Thanks man. I really dig how it turned out. Was going for that old school bmx look from when I bmxed in the 80s. Couldnít think of any colors to put on it so ..... chrome and silver it is
    It looks good.

Have you thought of stripping and polishing your crank arms?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    It looks good.

Have you thought of stripping and polishing your crank arms?
    I have. I was looking at getting polished hope crankset till I saw the price on those and was like **** that

I have. I was looking at getting polished hope crankset till I saw the price on those and was like **** that
    lol

I have SRAM S1400 and SRAM NX GXP spiderless cranksets. I'm planning to strip and polish one set for my blue/black/silver N9. This is the color scheme so far, except with a silver seat post and black collar:

-bike1.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I finally got my new chrome XL 27.5+ out for a shakedown ride and came away really impressed. My Gen 2 N9 was set up with 29" wheels and both SS and geared, so I thought I'd initially try the new one geared with 27.5 x 2.8 setup. While there wasn't anything too technical in today's ride, I liked how the fatter rubber and more compliant rear triangle really quieted down the ride. It's definitely more comfortable than my old bike without giving away any responsiveness or fun. I suspect it's not quite as fast as my old 29" setup, but initial impressions are that it's actually more fun. The new geo and grippier rubber feel more capable in light chop, but the stouter fork (Fox 34, 130mm) could also be contributing to that.

I'd originally planned to put 29" wheels back on it in the spring, but may reconsider that after today's ride. I'll give it a few more rides to make a definitive decision, but in the meantime, I'm having a ball on yet another great CB bike!

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by kwolfkill View Post
    I finally got my new chrome XL 27.5+ out for a shakedown ride and came away really impressed. My Gen 2 N9 was set up with 29" wheels and both SS and geared, so I thought I'd initially try the new one geared with 27.5 x 2.8 setup. While there wasn't anything too technical in today's ride, I liked how the fatter rubber and more compliant rear triangle really quieted down the ride. It's definitely more comfortable than my old bike without giving away any responsiveness or fun. I suspect it's not quite as fast as my old 29" setup, but initial impressions are that it's actually more fun. The new geo and grippier rubber feel more capable in light chop, but the stouter fork (Fox 34, 130mm) could also be contributing to that.

I'd originally planned to put 29" wheels back on it in the spring, but may reconsider that after today's ride. I'll give it a few more rides to make a definitive decision, but in the meantime, I'm having a ball on yet another great CB bike!
    Right on. The N9 is quite versatile itís making me question the need to keep my Krampus and I freakin love my Krampus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Reminds me of a Hutch Pro Star

mtbr member

Got my new chrome one out fornits first dirt ride. 27.5x2.8 single speed 150 ribbon. Damn Iím so happy with how it turned out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Got my new chrome one out fornits first dirt ride. 27.5x2.8 single speed 150 ribbon. Damn Iím so happy with how it turned out.

How do you like the ribbon for SS?

Does it have a lockout?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post

Does it have a lockout?

I like it a lot. Very supportive when you stand and mash. For short punchy hills I left in almost open. I liked it best 2 clocks back from full open. But when I closed off the low speed compression it was perfect for mashing. Iím 200 give or take and was really happy with it. My last ss had a pike on it and this is just light years ahead

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Does it have a lockout?

The last click of on the compression dial is special on the ribbon (coil and air), from the owner's manual:
    In the eighth, nal position of the compression adjustment range our hydraulic valving provides a highly-damped, supported feel perfect for smooth trails, road stretches and transfer stages. Should you encounter any rough patches however, the valving will ďblow-o Ē and allow the fork to cycle and your front wheel to track.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like it a lot. Very supportive when you stand and mash. For short punchy hills I left in almost open. I liked it best 2 clocks back from full open. But when I closed off the low speed compression it was perfect for mashing. Iím 200 give or take and was really happy with it. My last ss had a pike on it and this is just light years ahead

I have a DVO Diamond on my N9 SS and really like it but Iím thinking of moving it to an FS frame. That would require a new fork for the N9 and I was thinking of a fork with a lockout. Is the Pike and/or Ribbon available with a lockout?

Also thinking about going rigid on the N9 with 27.5+ Rear and 29+ front. Havenít looked at how the geo works out yet in that config.

mtbr member
    I have a DVO Diamond on my N9 SS and really like it but Iím thinking of moving it to an FS frame. That would require a new fork for the N9 and I was thinking of a fork with a lockout. Is the Pike and/or Ribbon available with a lockout?

Also thinking about going rigid on the N9 with 27.5+ Rear and 29+ front. Havenít looked at how the geo works out yet in that config.

Pike does not lock out. It was awful on long mashing climbs. I still need to do some tuning work on the ribbon but itís real close to where I want it. It will damn near completely lock out. But itís so supportive that unless Iím on a long mashing climb I probably wonít worry about it.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Whoa! How did you adapt that chainring to the hub? I think my trials bike has taller gearing ya freakin slacker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT View Post
    Whoa! How did you adapt that chainring to the hub? I think my trials bike has taller gearing ya freakin slacker.
    32x21 is what works for me

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    32x21 is what works for me

Not a very colorful retort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Here's mine....love this bike!

Large frame
    Xmcarbonspeed 29+ fork (505 A-C)
    Xmcarbonspeed i34 rims
    Paul Components hub
    Box Components freewheel
    Canfield 155mm cranks
    Crankbrothers Highline 150mm dropper
    Syntace Megaforce 35mm stem
    Deity 800mm riser bars
    Maxxis DHF/DHR 27.5x2.8
    XT brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT View Post
    Not a very colorful retort.
    Yea wasnt one of my better retorts

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Has anyone run a 27.5x3.0 tire on their N9? Thinking about running a Nobby Nic 27.5x3.0 on some i38 rims. Anyone with 2.8's or 3.0's care to elaborate on clearance issues? Pictures?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdnewe01 View Post
    Has anyone run a 27.5x3.0 tire on their N9? Thinking about running a Nobby Nic 27.5x3.0 on some i38 rims. Anyone with 2.8's or 3.0's care to elaborate on clearance issues? Pictures?
    Im running 2.8 rekons on stans baron rims. With my stud slammed Iíve got plenty of room for mud and muck. Iíll post a pick in a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Raleigh. I know the Rekons (and all Maxxis) run narrower than advertised. Pics would be awesome!

Im running 2.8 rekons on stans baron rims. With my stud slammed Iíve got plenty of room for mud and muck. Iíll post a pick in a few.

mtbr member
    Thanks Raleigh. I know the Rekons (and all Maxxis) run narrower than advertised. Pics would be awesome!

Thatís with the stays slammed stans Barron rims 2.8 reckons

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Raleigh! I'm going to give it a go with the 3.0's in the rear. Will post results in a few weeks.

Thatís with the stays slammed stans Barron rims 2.8 reckons

Ride On
    Getting the Nimble dirty today on one of our local trail systems.
    -copy-20180304_232449000_ios.jpg-copy-20180304_233457000_ios.jpg

mtbr member

Really like my nimble a lot. Might like it a bit more then my epo

mtbr member

Really like my nimble a lot. Might like it a bit more then my epo

I have the same feelings. I used the parts from my EPO to build my N9 and like how it rides better.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the same feelings. I used the parts from my EPO to build my N9 and like how it rides better.

How are the rides different?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm having a hell of a time deciding between the Chrome and the Blue! It shouldn't be this hard :-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    How are the rides different?
    For me the difference is in the builds. My epo is geared and 29. My nimble9 is single speed and 27.5+

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Getting the Nimble dirty today on one of our local trail systems.

Name:	Copy of 20180304_232449000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	1185902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of 20180304_233457000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	1185903
    What size rims and tires?

Ride On
    What size rims and tires?

Old school 23mm ID DHF 2.5 3C front, DHR 2.3 DC rear

rollin
    I just pulled trigger on a blue medium Nimble 9 with a Canfield Crankset!

Super stoked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdoss123 View Post
    I'm having a hell of a time deciding between the Chrome and the Blue! It shouldn't be this hard :-D
    Dude! I had the same problem. Honestly took me a month to decide. Ended up taking a poll with some of my friends. The blue won out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Dude! I had the same problem. Honestly took me a month to decide. Ended up taking a poll with some of my friends. The blue won out!
    Haha I've been doing the same thing this morning! Every time I decide on the chrome I see a pic of a clean blue build and think it might be the one!

mtbr member
    Haha I've been doing the same thing this morning! Every time I decide on the chrome I see a pic of a clean blue build and think it might be the one!

Chrome will get you home

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post

Super stoked.
    Another blues brother. Welcome to the club.

Still waiting for my bar, stem and shifter. Should arrive this coming week, then I can spend the rainy weekend putting it together.

Ride On

Super stoked.
    Nice man!

Ride On
    Who got out there today?

mtbr member
    Who got out there today?
    Nice pics, it looks so lush where you are at. They make me miss my hardtail. I'll be out on my Balance tomorrow though, too long of a honey-do list today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Chrome is on the way!

mtbr member
    Currently got the ROS 9. Love it to death. I only ever ridden hardtail and really, it's all I want. It's simple, clean looking and lets not talk about maintenance cost. My dilemma is wanting something new. Nowadays the All-Mountain hardtails are about the same aren't they? I mean a difference of 5mm, .1 degree in the STA and HTA from one bike to another does it really make that much of difference? I have in sight the Nimble 9. I haven't ridden one and it's probably the best way to determine the feel. However, it's not easy here Australia. Anyone got any experience base on the schematics and explain the biggest ride difference. I've pulled up both the geo and noticeably, the reach and wheelbase are the biggest difference. Thanks guys!

mtbr member

Man I am loving this bike. So much fun on this techy old school trail.

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_america View Post
    Currently got the ROS 9. Love it to death. I only ever ridden hardtail and really, it's all I want. It's simple, clean looking and lets not talk about maintenance cost. My dilemma is wanting something new. Nowadays the All-Mountain hardtails are about the same aren't they? I mean a difference of 5mm, .1 degree in the STA and HTA from one bike to another does it really make that much of difference? I have in sight the Nimble 9. I haven't ridden one and it's probably the best way to determine the feel. However, it's not easy here Australia. Anyone got any experience base on the schematics and explain the biggest ride difference. I've pulled up both the geo and noticeably, the reach and wheelbase are the biggest difference. Thanks guys!
    Not a ton of difference in geo alone using a medium size; initial thoughts:

-more reach in my config (120mm +-2į works headset) 29mm thatís significant I wouldnít want less than what I have. Bear in mind the stock geo N9 at 140mm would only offer an extra 12mm
    -itís tough to judge effective seat angle with such a dramatic curve in that seat tube. Judging by the geo diagram it seems they base the effective seat angle on a horizontal line from the top of the head tube. I like steep seat tube angles the 74/75 I get in my config and seat distance to pedal spindle has been a revelation in climbing steep terrain.
    -chainstays are about 10mm shorter on the N9 youíll either like that or not like the ROS9 you can adjust them to make them longer but something to note

From what I have read and judging by the pics the ROS9 will likely have a more compliant ride. The N9 frame is a fairly burly build with extra gussets and bracing at key locations.

mtbr member
    Not a ton of difference in geo alone using a medium size; initial thoughts:

-more reach in my config (120mm +-2į works headset) 29mm thatís significant I wouldnít want less than what I have. Bear in mind the stock geo N9 at 140mm would only offer an extra 12mm
    -itís tough to judge effective seat angle with such a dramatic curve in that seat tube. Judging by the geo diagram it seems they base the effective seat angle on a horizontal line from the top of the head tube. I like steep seat tube angles the 74/75 I get in my config and seat distance to pedal spindle has been a revelation in climbing steep terrain.
    -chainstays are about 10mm shorter on the N9 youíll either like that or not like the ROS9 you can adjust them to make them longer but something to note

From what I have read and judging by the pics the ROS9 will likely have a more compliant ride. The N9 frame is a fairly burly build with extra gussets and bracing at key locations.

Appreciate the run down of the geo. I run a medium as well and made the comparison using the same sizing. I intended in going for a large in N9 for the longer reach, I'm not exactly cramp in my ROS 9 but it's definitely been a compromise on the climbing.
    Not too fuss about chainstay length. However, wheelbase affects the stability am I correct? Therefore agility will be slightly compromise during twist and turns but high speed descending will be more tamed?
    Another matter is since they're both steel of the same grade, how much does the newer N9 weigh? My Ros 9 is a 2016, but I am unsure of the weight. Thanks again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    New frame weighs 6lbs but ass naked

mtbr member
    About the same weight as the ROS 9...

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_america View Post
    Appreciate the run down of the geo. I run a medium as well and made the comparison using the same sizing. I intended in going for a large in N9 for the longer reach, I'm not exactly cramp in my ROS 9 but it's definitely been a compromise on the climbing.
    Not too fuss about chainstay length. However, wheelbase affects the stability am I correct? Therefore agility will be slightly compromise during twist and turns but high speed descending will be more tamed?
    Another matter is since they're both steel of the same grade, how much does the newer N9 weigh? My Ros 9 is a 2016, but I am unsure of the weight. Thanks again.

In its shortest setting I would not describe my N9 as stable at speed for that Iíd run the chain stays in the longest setting. Short is great for the tight and twisty and just hooning about on the trails. I love it in that configuration for shorter rides or when I want to more easily jump little lips or drops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Can anyone give me some headset advice? I'm trying to sort out the lowest stack headset that will work with this frame (as I'm hoping I can reuse an old fork with a steerer tube that's already been cut). Could anyone point me in the right direction? The headsets sold by CB directly are the External-Cup version and have a taller stack height.

Thanks!

- Brendan

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've read that Cane Creek has a zero stack headset. I've never used it so I don't know if they have the right size for the N9 but I assume so. I don't think it gets lower stack than that though :P

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    I've read that Cane Creek has a zero stack headset. I've never used it so I don't know if they have the right size for the N9 but I assume so. I don't think it gets lower stack than that though :P
    It's actually the new CC SlamSet: SlamSet - Cane Creek Cycling Components

FWIW a zerostack headset is one where headset bearings sit in the headset tube and don't require external cup(s).

I presume bdoss123 has a tapered steerer on the fork he wants to re-use so there's no way around the external cup on the N9.

All that being said, the N9 has a really tall stack to start with so you're not going to need a lot of extra steerer. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thank you for the quick replies!
    The SlamSet looks like it would definitely be the ticket - if I can find it in stock somewhere.

Would it be this version? :Slamset - ZS44/28.6/H2 | EC44/40/H12 - Complete

Thanks,

- BD

mtbr member
    Thank you for the quick replies!
    The SlamSet looks like it would definitely be the ticket - if I can find it in stock somewhere.

Would it be this version? :Slamset - ZS44/28.6/H2 | EC44/40/H12 - Complete

Thanks,

- BD
    That should be it. Those are the correct numbers for the N9

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks for all the help on this. Chrome is on the way w/ CB 170 cranks. Using a mix of used parts - probably going to throw GX Eagle on it (I know I know a far cry from you single speed masochists). I can't tell if I'm crazy, but I'm more excited about this build than my FS bike.

mtbr member

Canít stop smiling when I ride this single speed beast. I am liking it more than my EPO. Why? Because itís single speed. Also it monsters over everything in its path. The feel of the Steel is more compliant and doesnít sting like the EPO can. Both are my favorite hard tails but I am digging the N9 a little more. I just installed a highroller 29x2.5 in the rear. Itís so amazingly awesome. Paired with the DHF 2.5 up front I have all the traction and Cush you would want. Oh one more thing. I moved the sliders almost all the way back to give me more mud clearance. I am liking the stability of the bike in that position, but still feel itís agile and easy to snap around.
    Ride hard. -img_4869.jpg

Ride On
    Thanks for all the help on this. Chrome is on the way w/ CB 170 cranks. Using a mix of used parts - probably going to throw GX Eagle on it (I know I know a far cry from you single speed masochists). I can't tell if I'm crazy, but I'm more excited about this build than my FS bike.
    Congrats!

rollin
    Has anyone attempted to fit a Maxxis 29x2.6 Recon on the rear of a Nimble 9? Wondering if it will fit.

mtbr member

Has anyone attempted to fit a Maxxis 29x2.6 Forekaster on the rear of a Nimble 9? Wondering if it will fit.
    Thatís tire isnít available yet. But I know someone on here put a Nobby Nic 2.6 on. Since I slid my sliders back there is boat loads of clearance with my 2.5 so a 2.6 will definitely fit. Maybe not with the tires slammed forward but it will fit. 2.6 Rekon is available but I dislike that tire. -img_4873.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk-img_4871.jpg-img_4872.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Canít stop smiling when I ride this single speed beast. I am liking it more than my EPO. Why? Because itís single speed. Also it monsters over everything in its path. The feel of the Steel is more compliant and doesnít sting like the EPO can. Both are my favorite hard tails but I am digging the N9 a little more. I just installed a highroller 29x2.5 in the rear. Itís so amazingly awesome. Paired with the DHF 2.5 up front I have all the traction and Cush you would want. Oh one more thing. I moved the sliders almost all the way back to give me more mud clearance. I am liking the stability of the bike in that position, but still feel itís agile and easy to snap around.
    Ride hard. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4869.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	1187752

What size rims?

mtbr member
    What size rims?

30mm inside width

mtbr member

Mmmm so chromy 🤤🤤🤤 single speed so much fun on this bike.

2 wheel drifter
    I'm curious how many owners, that did their own build, reamed /faced the head tube and faced/chased the BB. I'm not particularly inclined to take my bike to the shop to have them prep the frame if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    I'm curious how many owners, that did their own build, reamed /faced the head tube and faced/chased the BB. I'm not particularly inclined to take my bike to the shop to have them prep the frame if at all possible.
    I did. My BB shell and headset had overspray, so it was necessary. I don't have the tools for that though so a case of beer when dropping by the LBS goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Mine didnít need either done. Which I was surprised since itís chromed

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Iíve had 5 Canfields and never had to prep the BB or head tube.

2 wheel drifter
    Thanks for the replies, clearly there is a bit of a cross section here. The only reason I asked was there is some paint on the outside face of both the BB and head tube, as well as the inside of the headtube not being completely smooth. Honestly not sure if either is a big deal or not. I built up the raw Riot without any prep and it went great.

mtbr member
    7 N9ís and 1 EPO in my riding posse and none of us needed any facing.

2 wheel drifter
    I'm not one to argue with a posse, and it appeals to my lazy side too.

Ride On
    I'm not one to argue with a posse, and it appeals to my lazy side too.
    I took a razor blade to the outside faces to remove the paint. Thatís all I ever do to and Iíve built up many steel frames now including 2 N9ís.

rollin
    The Nimble 9 arrived! The sparkle blue looks amazing in the sun!

Frame feels lighter than expected. I will be taking my time with build, but I'm pretty excited about the purchase.

Also, I was thinking about having my frame chased and faced. There is paint on the surfaces that should be precise. No big deal. Standard procedure with most frames.

Gigantic Hawk
    I have had 3 N9's, and I had everyone chased and faced. Do you really need to? No, but I wanted everything to go together without a hitch. Having a frame c and f'd doesn't only remove excess paint, but it also aligns the mating surfaces of the bb and head tube allowing for a parallel cup install.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast