No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

New Old Stock. Fresh Nimble 9 SS build

I know this forum is quiet with uncertainty about the brand's future. Thought some of you might appreciate some fresh build stoke.

Ordered one of the last (if not THE last) XL N9 Boost frames in stock. Built it out last week and took it on a couple shakedown runs here in Phoenix.

IMG_0481 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

The build:

Newest Boost N9 frame, XL.
    Fox 36 reduced to 140, 44 offset
    Ibis 938 wheels with Bontrager XR4 and SE4 2.6 tires
    Magura MT Sport brakes
    Renthal cockpit with Deity Knuckledusters
    OneUp 170 dropper with WT lever
    Running 32-20 SS setup with Problem Solvers Zinger for the XD hub.

IMG_0321 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Pretty dialed build for our terrain here and a super-fun bike to ride as a backup to my Ripmo. Having owned a couple of these previously, I can say the Bros. really got the steel feeling right on this version. The previous ones I owned (a first-gen and second-gen) were pretty stiff. The quality of the steel is more compliant without being noodley.

Just thought I'd share. Hope it causes some holiday Canfield stoke. Merry Christmas.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looking good Blatant! Built my 2014 Yelli back up and made it ss. Absolutley love it! I hope the bros can make a return.

Enjoy the new ride and Merry Christmas!

rollin
    Nice looking N9! Good to hear about the steel quality.
    I purchased a medium Nimble 9 in sparkle blue, about 6 months ago. Iíve been slowly accumulating parts for it. Canít wait to build it up.
    How do you like the handling of the frame?
    Are those 29x2.6 tires? How is the clearance on the back with the 2.6 tire? Iím planning on 29x2.6 for mine.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in...

Built up N9 as a single speed in October. Absolutely loving everything about it. My other bike is a Mojo 3, and they handle very similarly with the main differences being the obvious ones: hard tail vs. FS and SS vs. geared.

I'm running 27.5 x 2.8, and there's a ton of clearance.New Old Stock. Fresh Nimble 9 SS build-nn-low-res-build-pic.jpgNew Old Stock. Fresh Nimble 9 SS build-nn-low-res-outside.jpg
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes, 29x2.6 tires. No clearance issues, even fully slammed. Iím running pretty far back in the drops simply due to the SS chain setup.

Combat Wombat
    I am also building up a medium N9. I bought the frame back in October and hoping to have it ready for the initial trail ride tomorrow. I am running 29 x 2.6 Bontrager XR4 Team issue tires front and back on WTB Asym i35 rims. Have the sliders set about midway and there is plenty of room. Fits about the same as a 2.4 on the back of my 2016 Unit.

strider
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for sharing the stoke Blatant! It helped push me over the edge to also order one of the last XLs. The frame should arrive on Monday.
    I had been wanting one of these for many years and it sounds like this iteration has that compliant touch that I have been looking for from a well designed AM steel frame. I had a Transition Trans-Am and a Kona Honzo in the past and both were too over-built in the rear without any of the fun "spring" that steel should give you. I still have a Kona Unit (2013) which has that more lively feel, but the design and geo is just not there for bigger/harder riding.
    Thanks for sharing the build specs as that will be the project over the next several months while I wait for the snow to melt here in Wyo. I'm planning on running those same tires on 30mm id rims so I'm glad to hear they fit fine.
    I'm curious about why you went with the 44mm offset and, more importantly, how you like it? With me being 6'2" and 165lbs on this XL with a reach of 473mm, I was thinking a shorter offset might be favorable to help weight that front wheel for handling and to get the fork to do as much work as possible on the bumps.
    Cheers, Ravercoe

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I used the 44 because itís what I had available. Takeoff from my Ripmo, dropped down to 140. If Iíd had any other fork available over the 36 Iíd have run it.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! I built up a rigid ss a year ago and can't get enough of it. The ride is sublime---stiff enough to climb like a goat and compliant enough to blast boulder fields. And what a value the frame is.

New Old Stock. Fresh Nimble 9 SS build-img_2252.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I used the 44 because itís what I had available. Takeoff from my Ripmo, dropped down to 140. If Iíd had any other fork available over the 36 Iíd have run it.
    Can you provide details about what don't you like about the 36 on the N9?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Pretty simple and has nothing to do with Canfield. I just donít care for the feel of Fox forks. I personally find the damping to be harsh and strongly prefer RS forks.