my new (to me) Canfield One- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

my new (to me) Canfield One

Just wanted to share some pics of my new One which I picked up from a buddy who graduated to a Can-Diggle

I am switching between the Roco WC Air (to save weight for xc-ish rides) and Elka Stage 5.

Also picked up the Canfield C2 AM wheels for it. They are really nice wheels and super quiet which I like.

Just got the KS i900R adjustable seatpost which was exactly what I was looking for. Went with the 300mm which fit the frame perfectly.

Probably an unconventional path was using an X-Fusion Vengeance fork. The x-Fusion US HQ was down the street from me so they helped me get setup. I LOVE the fork. I only wish it had externally adjustable travel and had a QR thru-axle. It's a bit taller A2C, but it seems to be fine on the One.

Was running the Acros BlockLock headset, but for some reason it didn't prevent my fork from hitting the downtube (maybe the included bumpers were not stiff enough). So I switched to a Chris King and am using the King +5mm Race. But, all it did was make the fork hit the frame at a different spot now

I guess there is no way to prevent this for a small frame? In the meantime I will be using some thick clear protection vinyl for the contact spots.

I love it...sooo plush and climbs way better than I was expecting, And the descents are so much fun with it...but you guys know all about that anyway!
    Here are some pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my new (to me) Canfield One-img26540.jpg  

my new (to me) Canfield One-img2636y.jpg  

my new (to me) Canfield One-img2644x.jpg  

my new (to me) Canfield One-img26390.jpg  

my new (to me) Canfield One-img2532uu.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy
    Was running the Acros BlockLock headset, but for some reason it didn't prevent my fork from hitting the downtube (maybe the included bumpers were not stiff enough). So I switched to a Chris King and am using the King +5mm Race. But, all it did was make the fork hit the frame at a different spot now
    That looks as though it can take a pounding and then some!

I know with the old frame design fork against frame knock was a huge problem. I was informed that they addressed the issue with this new release on all sizes. Apprarently not!

What going on here C bros?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    That looks as though it can take a pounding and then some!

I know with the old frame design fork against frame knock was a huge problem. I was informed that they addressed the issue with this new release on all sizes. Apprarently not!

What going on here C bros?
    That frame is the OLD ONE.
    And yes we did address the issue.
    The new ONE is coming out in Feb/March-
    C2

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Right on! I stand corrected. Posted before reading:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=556801&page=2

mtbr member
    Yup, it's the old version which i knew had the fork clearance issues. I just thought the Acros headset or King +5mm would address the issue as I thought I read others using either with success. But in my case both methods did not resolve the issue. But it's ok, the clear tape in a couple of layers should do the trick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My neighbor raves about the fork. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until he gets back from vacation to give it a run down. I'm told that now Fusion has their new HQ setup in Santa Cruz, there's a lot in the works coming up. Its a breath of fresh air to see different shock manufacturers enter the product market.

I'm not sure whether it was Pink Bike, NSMB or Ride Monkey, but there was a poster that ran either a lyrik or Fox 36 (can't remember model or year) and managed to get clearance in addition to the spacer fork mod you're running. Sorry for not being able to provide more info.

I've ridden the old "1" with the chromoly front triangle but not enough saddle time to say much. It's a fierce looking rig you have there though. No doubt about it!

mtbr member
    Ahh, thanks for the info. I do have an '09 Talas 36 RC2 which i could try at some point. I just hate how that feels in comparison to the Vengeance though.

Yeah, x-fusion moved to SC recently. It was nice having them closer to me but SC is still not too far. I like that they have a local presence in NorCal. And they have been responsive to questions and help. So far a great experience with them.

There's not a lot of feedback on the Vengeance so please let us know how you like it when you get the chance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That fork matches perfectly with that frame, you see so few Canfields or x-Fusions on the trail those two combined make for a very unique ride. Get some hygia brakes.

flipinidaho had a small frame and had to use a Cane Creek S3plus5 headset combined with a +5 King crown race to get his fork to clear the downtube. I had a medium One and the +5mm king crown race was all i needed. Currently have a large frame and my totem clears with a standard headset.

mtbr member
    Was running the Acros BlockLock headset, but for some reason it didn't prevent my fork from hitting the downtube (maybe the included bumpers were not stiff enough).
    I had this same problem on m wife's One with the BlockLock. Then I figured out that the top race needed to be rotated 180 degrees, then it worked fine.

I was a little annoyed because for once I decided to have the LBS do it with the proper tools instead of using my threadall + washer setup at home because I didn't want to screw up the coolest frame I have ever bought, but when I got it home and put the fork on it hit the down tube. I took a close look at how the cap and race interface and saw that the arc through which it travels is not 50%. Instead of taking it back to the shop I pounded out the top race and reset it with my home made tools, problem solved. I probably would have made the same mistake if I had done it myself the first time, so I don't blame the mech.

mtbr member
    I can't remember now if the channel faced the front or rear, but if you decide to try again let me know and I can post up a picture for reference.

mtbr member
    Well, I have to admit that I did have the LBS install the Acros and I didn't double-check that it was installed correctly...I just "ass"umed so. It's a good point so I'll take a closer look at the headset myself and see if it was just a bad install. Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    flipinidaho had a small frame and had to use a Cane Creek S3plus5 headset combined with a +5 King crown race to get his fork to clear the downtube. I had a medium One and the +5mm king crown race was all i needed. Currently have a large frame and my totem clears with a standard headset.
    How do you like the Totem on the One? Coil or Air? U-Turn? I was thinking of going this route or Lyrik with U-Turn to retain some climbing ability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How do you like the Totem on the One? Coil or Air? U-Turn? I was thinking of going this route or Lyrik with U-Turn to retain some climbing ability.
    '08 solo air. 180mm forks / totems aren't recommended for the old Ones, can lead to headtube problems. I'm a XC guy so no point of reference on big hit fork comparisons, fork is ok but totally modded with floodgate removed and some more shims added. I have a 27 lb 575 with an AM1 fork that choppered the be bike out to 67 degrees so I am very used to slack head angle. Can get both bikes up 20-26% climbs but yeah a lot of body english involved and very little steering going on.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, since I have an out-of the norm setup with the King +5mm race and X-Fusion Vengeance with an A2C height of 560mm....any ideas on what my headtube angle is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    '08 solo air. 180mm forks / totems aren't recommended for the old Ones, can lead to headtube problems. I'm a XC guy so no point of reference on big hit fork comparisons, fork is ok but totally modded with floodgate removed and some more shims added. I have a 27 lb 575 with an AM1 fork that choppered the be bike out to 67 degrees so I am very used to slack head angle. Can get both bikes up 20-26% climbs but yeah a lot of body english involved and very little steering going on.

Ok, leaning towards a Lyrik now. Will see what i can find. Would be cool to have an option for a plush travel adjust fork up front...not really liking how my '09 Talas RC2 feels.
    Last edited by kameraguy; 12-03-2010 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, since I have an out-of the norm setup with the King +5mm race and X-Fusion Vengeance with an A2C height of 560mm....any ideas on what my headtube angle is?
    Here, but I think it will vary a little bit by what shock and setting you are running in the rear. Looking at the diagram I would guess it is between 66-67.

mtbr member
    I am running a Large One with a new rebuilt Two step. I think its the ideal setup for this bike. I do tend to leave it in 160mm mode though.

Members who have read this thread: 0