mtbr member

Licensing CBF.... something new

https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/28/rev...-fiber-frames/

There we have it, some news at least.

Whoís buying a Revel?
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin' :skep:

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting news indeed. Been quietly waiting on the sidelines like many for any news from the Bros...

It will be interesting to see (1) if licensing/R&D is the direction for Canfield going forward and (2) if this news/release will get the Bros to chime in on what is next for them.

Nonetheless, hoping the best for all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Great to see some major press with the Bros' name attached to it.

I still want my Canfield to say Canfield on it, though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    CBF and carbon and water bottle and a threaded BB...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snox700 View Post

I still want my Canfield to say Canfield on it, though.
    Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/28/rev...-fiber-frames/

There we have it, some news at least.

Whoís buying a Revel?
    I was waiting for a new Canfield for a good long while. I bought a Guerrilla Gravity Smash in the meantime. I'm not a bike flipper so I'll have that a while before I start thinking about a new ride.

I'll keep my eye on Revel. It never hurts to have some new ideas/stoke in the industry.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I'm with stupid
    The Geo is not the same, which I feel is half the Magic of a Canfield bike. However I do love some CBF suspension. Hopefully the bros have something with a Skull on it I can buy. Or at least make is a "canfield" model like the stumpjumper EVO

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Someone else did a carbon Balance and a carbon Riot... More or less.

Honestly, the Geo on the 29er looks fantastic. I'm trying not to be in the market...but I like it.

On the licensing front, I heard GG was up to something.... I was hoping for GG bikes with CBF suspension. Not what happened, but I also really like the new GG bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post

Honestly, the Geo on the 29er looks fantastic. I'm trying not to be in the market...but I like it.

On the licensing front, I heard GG was up to something.... I was hoping for GG bikes with CBF suspension. Not what happened, but I also really like the new GG bikes.
    What if those GG/Canfield rumors were backwards and we get Canfield bikes produced with GGs new carbon process in Denver?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post

US Guerrilla Gravity manufacturing with Canfield design would be fantastic. Unfortunately the Rascal's geo isn't quite what the Riot is: longer CS, slacker STA, only slightly longer reach, and no ano links. Hopefully the licensing money keeps Canfield afloat for other projects in the future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mothertruckinsteve View Post
    What if those GG/Canfield rumors were backwards and we get Canfield bikes produced with GGs new carbon process in Denver?
    Sign me tf up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I really hope this is a stepping stone for more to come. Their suspension is awsome. But the geo makes the perfect package.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A Guerrilla Gravity built carbon Canfield would be badass and my next bike, if it were to happen.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    A Guerrilla Gravity built carbon Canfield would be badass and my next bike, if it were to happen.
    Totally. I'm probably still doing the new GG this year but marrying the two brands would be beyond sweet.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Them Revel bikes got some loooong chainstays, too long to be a Bros design, bummer, was stoked to see the name Canfield, but itís really not a Canfield bike.

Iíve got a carbon Shred Dogg ordered, itís the frame of choice now that the One is out if production: 423 CS, Coil or Air, 2.8Ē tire capacity, long reach, high B.B., not heavy, stiff, lifetime warranty.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Wasn't Canfield planning to release the carbon 29er with the option of long or short chainstays?

The Revel bikes look good. They seem to be well thought out with a lifetime warranty.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Not a role model
    Licensing CBF.... something new-9a3pmaf.jpg

Authenticity is a highly valuable character trait.

(Pic pulled from instagram. Related: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn6iMgEB1yf/)

P.S. This isn't true CBF, in my opinion. The graphs require certain values like what chainring it's being paired with and the rider CoG height, to have significance. Assuming it's modeled based on their base spec, ~130% is high for a 34t chainring. The Riot has about 100% AS with a 32t chainring, and 115% with a 28t. True CBF also has considerably less anti-rise/brake squat (85% dropping to 70%). The Riot has a much less progressive leverage curve too (the Balance almost matches).

Licensing CBF.... something new-dftafyy.png
    - Illustration is misleading, compared to the real deal: EFFICIENT MOUNTAIN BIKE SUSPENSION | Canfield Balance Formula‚ĄĘ

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2...ance-2016.html

I get the impression that it's more like an Evil Insurgent/Offering that looks like a '19 Cannondale Habit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The Revel bikes look good. They seem to be well thought out with a lifetime warranty.
    Disagree on the "well thought out"... a 165mm bike without a skid plate/bash guard option... IMO that's just stupid. Completely rules them out for me. Where I'm from, if you don't need a bash guard, what you're doing doesn't qualify as mountain biking.

I get that there are people that don't think they need one, but what's the downside of having an unused mount? 2g of frame weight - if anyone that's considering these frames cares about that, the dealer should just slap them.
    So a full set of ISCG mounts won't fit. Ok, why can't they do like Evil or Pole and have a dedicated bash mount?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The Rail versus the Balance Geo, the Rail Geo is better in every direction except STA and CS. The STA is pretty close (0.5 degrees) and I wouldn't fault the chain stays for being longer until I rode it. I'm more interested in the suspension and if it is really identical to the Balance in how it pedals and more importantly descends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think it's fantastic CBF is getting more exposure. I don't think the Balance and Riot get enough exposure, since I pretty often have to explain that CBF isn't a patent-skirting dw-link ripoff to people on the chairlifts. If there's income for Canfield involved, even better.

The Rail looked interesting, until I saw the cable routing. Where I ride, I see a lot of rock strikes from fist-sized chunks that get kicked up, and my Balance frame has a few dents on the DT ahead of the BB - exactly where the unprotected rear brake line exits the frame on the Rail. So that's gonna have to be a hard pass from me.

I still don't get why lots of companies accept any cables down there on bikes that might get raced in the mountains. I thought the Firebird's under-BB routing was crazy on an enduro bike, but at least that's only derailleur and not brake line too. I think GG's new "integrated external pathway with cover looks much slicker and frankly safer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Them Revel bikes got some loooong chainstays, too long to be a Bros design, bummer, was stoked to see the name Canfield, but itís really not a Canfield bike.

Iíve got a carbon Shred Dogg ordered, itís the frame of choice now that the One is out if production: 423 CS, Coil or Air, 2.8Ē tire capacity, long reach, high B.B., not heavy, stiff, lifetime warranty.
    I don't understand why some people are confused that this is Not a Canfield, this is a separate company licensing the CBF platform. Revel is their own brand, with their own frame kinematics. Just like any other companies using the DW Link or Horst link platform. Ibis ride different than Pivots, Transition is different than Specialized, etc..

I'm personally looking forward to see what Canfield has to offer in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    Whoís buying a Revel?
    Not planning on it.

Here are four reasons I own 4 Canfield bikes, in no particular order

1. CBF suspension that is dialed
    2. Riding something different than the Specialized and Santa Cruz bikes that 80% of the people in my area ride.
    3. Geometry/handling that is dialed and works well for my body type and riding style
    4. Supporting a small company with passionate owners that have a stellar reputation for customer service (which I have experience many times).

I may be able to get #1 and #2 above from Revel, but I'm not sure about #3 and #4 at this point.

I'm happy with my current bikes, so I've hopefully got a couple years before I am looking again, so maybe the Bros will have something by then. If not, I'd be willing to consider Revel.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Not planning on it.

Here are four reasons I own 4 Canfield bikes, in no particular order

1. CBF suspension that is dialed
    2. Riding something different than the Specialized and Santa Cruz bikes that 80% of the people in my area ride.
    3. Geometry/handling that is dialed and works well for my body type and riding style
    4. Supporting a small company with passionate owners that have a stellar reputation for customer service (which I have experience many times).

I may be able to get #1 and #2 above from Revel, but I'm not sure about #3 and #4 at this point.

I'm happy with my current bikes, so I've hopefully got a couple years before I am looking again, so maybe the Bros will have something by then. If not, I'd be willing to consider Revel.
    Couldn't agree more!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Here is the reason I own a Canfield Brothers Riot: They had a size medium metal frame for sale when I was buying a new bike in Sept 2017. If they do not have a size Medium for sale in 2019 I will give $5000 to someone else. Their lack of any statement to a very loyal customer base, in itself, gives me great pause in how they would support me if I had a warranty problem. Every time I move from one bike manufacturer to another, I am happy! Obviously the Mt bike industry in general has improved every year, so its hard to buy a "bad" bike. Tough for me going from Turner 5-Spot to a Canfield Brothers Riot to another brand? I seem to have the Touch of Death to a bike Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Disagree on the "well thought out"... a 165mm bike without a skid plate/bash guard option... IMO that's just stupid. Completely rules them out for me. Where I'm from, if you don't need a bash guard, what you're doing doesn't qualify as mountain biking.

I get that there are people that don't think they need one, but what's the downside of having an unused mount? 2g of frame weight - if anyone that's considering these frames cares about that, the dealer should just slap them.
    So a full set of ISCG mounts won't fit. Ok, why can't they do like Evil or Pole and have a dedicated bash mount?
    I have never felt a bash guard to be necessary, I could see that it could be for some though. From what I see locally, very few people are using them. I could imagine the cost to add a proprietary mount to the frame and design a proprietary guard for the limited number of people that require this feature just doesn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Here is the reason I own a Canfield Brothers Riot: They had a size medium metal frame for sale when I was buying a new bike in Sept 2017. If they do not have a size Medium for sale in 2019 I will give $5000 to someone else. Their lack of any statement to a very loyal customer base, in itself, gives me great pause in how they would support me if I had a warranty problem. Every time I move from one bike manufacturer to another, I am happy! Obviously the Mt bike industry in general has improved every year, so its hard to buy a "bad" bike. Tough for me going from Turner 5-Spot to a Canfield Brothers Riot to another brand? I seem to have the Touch of Death to a bike Co.
    Yeah, the silence is a bit odd, but I don't feel it reflects on their customer service. From my limited experience with Chris, they're stand-up guys.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 03-03-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    True.

mtbr member
    Sorry about all the silence guys.

Few things-

1- The Licensing deal with CBF is just a reflection of how good the "Formula" is. It can be applied to any suspension layout, and Canfield can not build them all. Excited for more people to feel the perfection of the Balance formula.

2- We were never in financial trouble with going to Carbon. No issues with the molds or the factory. In fact we were doing very well.

3- Canfield is not dead, just in a transition state. News and details should be coming soon. (this month or next.)

4- Brothers can only work together for so long, and 19 years was enough for me. It kills me to say, because I love this brand. But, I will be leaving to do my own thing.

I love you all for the support and believing in a brand that made performance and innovation it's priority.

Long Live bikes with a Skull on the headtube!
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Chris. And Lance. Good luck to both of you. Enjoying my Canfields and looking forward to what comes next. Whatever that may be. Itís a good time to be a mountain biker!

I'm with stupid
    Damn it is like hearing your favorite band is breaking up. I hope work life did not kill your personal relationship beyond repair, because in the end family is the ones that will get each other through the worst of times. I cannot wait to see what is next. I wish you could be PM me and let me know which one of the you two came up with the geo of each bike. That way I know who to follow haha. The rally car or the trophy truck of bikes because they have two different DNA feels to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Working with family is hard, I know. My family has owned a few and I've experienced the strain of working closely with loved ones. Fortunately, business separated but family did not. Hope that is the case for The Canfields.

Love the brand, love the skulls, and love the bikes. Bought my first Canfield in 2016, since then 4 of my buddies got one after they rode mine. That's how good these bikes ride! Hope to see what's new soon. My next bike will most likely be another Canfield.

mtbr member
    Iím such a big fan of the CBF, and have been waiting around for a while with my Riot. Still love the Riot, but just decided to snag the Revel Rascal. Canít wait, and hopefully Iíll get to sell the Riot to a friend so I can still say hello to the beast that forever changed my riding. The skull shall live on with the Rascal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Iím such a big fan of the CBF, and have been waiting around for a while with my Riot. Still love the Riot, but just decided to snag the Revel Rascal. Canít wait, and hopefully Iíll get to sell the Riot to a friend so I can still say hello to the beast that forever changed my riding. The skull shall live on with the Rascal!
    Sweet. Rascal now on my 'maybe list' for this spring/summer. Look forward to reading peoples' reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So is the name going to simply be ďCanfieldĒ? (No ď...BrothersĒ?)

I wish the best for them all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So far on paper the Rascal is the bike I like best but at $5K what's a better build?

mtbr member
    Canfield Bro

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yelli was my first buy direct frame, it was back in 2012. Appreciated the quick responses to emails and help with sizing. Still the best fitting bike I have owned. Best of luck to you in your next endeavor.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    I wanted to demo a Canfield two years ago in Moab.

I called Canfield Bros and asked if they had any ideas on how I could throw a leg over one? They said the Moab LBS reppin' Canfield was about to open. Called LBS and they didn't have bikes available yet.

Sean said "wait!"... Lance will be in Moab that weekend. Let me reach out to him. Frickin emails Lance and cc's me. Lance responds with "here's my cell #, give me a call when you get in town."

Lance lets me borrow his personal bike for the morning. Some dude he just met.

I really want to see them rise to awesomeness!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If they release that DH bike that Chris has been flashing on Instagram for the last year plus, I hope my trigger finger is quick enough to get one before they sell out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That DH bike with the skull gusset is hot. Keep it raw aluminum and I'm in for one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Two new reviews of the Revel Rascal....
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...-trail-animal/

and
    First Impressions: Revel Rascal XO1 ¬ę Mountain Flyer Magazine

"The stand-out feature on Revel Bikes is of course the Canfield Balance Formula suspension. "

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post

3- Canfield is not dead, just in a transition state. News and details should be coming soon. (this month or next.)

4- Brothers can only work together for so long, and 19 years was enough for me. It kills me to say, because I love this brand. But, I will be leaving to do my own thing.

I love you all for the support and believing in a brand that made performance and innovation it's priority.

I heard this rumor a while back and figured the source was credible, but Iím still sorry to finally read it. Best of luck to all the Canfield family and crew. Iím looking forward to seeing whatís next for everyone. Cheers, guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I wanted to demo a Canfield two years ago in Moab.

I called Canfield Bros and asked if they had any ideas on how I could throw a leg over one? They said the Moab LBS reppin' Canfield was about to open. Called LBS and they didn't have bikes available yet.

Sean said "wait!"... Lance will be in Moab that weekend. Let me reach out to him. Frickin emails Lance and cc's me. Lance responds with "here's my cell #, give me a call when you get in town."

Lance lets me borrow his personal bike for the morning. Some dude he just met.

I really want to see them rise to awesomeness!
    My expierence with Canfield was nearly identical to yours, except Chris showed up with a YS on a wet and snowy winter day to give me a chance to throw a leg over the bike on our local trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I thought it was 1 year warranty and lifetime crash replacemen for guerrilla gravity. That's been my only hang up. 1 year doesn't seem long enough for brand new technology. Sometimes problems take a while to reveal themselves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bummed to hear the Canfield news, but glad to hear that CBF has found new life. I like to think you guys have changed bikes for the better...it's interesting to watch the industry just start to catch up to where Canfield bikes were back in 2016.

Not a role model
    General Canfield question:

What's your stance on Canfield's short ETT? What have you done to reach a good balanced sweet spot seated position?

I'm finding that there's sort of a weird no-man's-land, between a more upright back (BMX) and a more forward one (stretched out roadie position), and curious if anyone else feels the same way. It's as if I want to either go full straight (cruising almost no handed), or full stretch (pedaling hard with elbows dropped), not able to settle in between comfortably; I guess there's either excessive weight on my hands/wrists or excessive weight on a particularly sensitive part of my crotch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    General Canfield question:

What's your stance on Canfield's short ETT? What have you done to reach a good balanced sweet spot seated position?

I'm finding that there's sort of a weird no-man's-land, between a more upright back (BMX) and a more forward one (stretched out roadie position), and curious if anyone else feels the same way. It's as if I want to either go full straight (cruising almost no handed), or full stretch (pedaling hard with elbows dropped), not able to settle in between comfortably; I guess there's either excessive weight on my hands/wrists or excessive weight on a particularly sensitive part of my crotch.
    Set back seat post anything over 76į puts too much weight on my hands, so i slam the seat forward iwith the offset and that puts me where i want without worrying about braking the saddle. And bars 1" higher than saddle, using riser bars so i don't loose reach.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

I'm missing something here, the chainstays on the Rascal L are 1mm shorter than the CS on The Smash size 3. The longer CS seems more pronounced on the Rail at +7MM compared to the SD. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on a Rascal, just get so nervous about new stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on a Rascal, just get so nervous about new stuff.
    Yeah, they are a brand new Co. with only a couple brand new bikes, so everyone who's buying these are beta testing for them out in the "field".

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    Yeah, they are a brand new Co. with only a couple brand new bikes, so everyone who's buying these are beta testing for them out in the "field".
    They are already doing a waitlist for Rascal frames, as first batch sold out nearly immediately. As of last week, waitlist w/ deposit meant estimated frame delivery of mid-May.

So, could be lots of good field testing coming!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm missing something here, the chainstays on the Rascal L are 1mm shorter than the CS on The Smash size 3. The longer CS seems more pronounced on the Rail at +7MM compared to the SD. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on a Rascal, just get so nervous about new stuff.
    But they are not 414mm -420 like most Canfield bike are.

mtbr member
    I'm not missing something here, the chainstays on the Rascal L are 15 m shorter than the CS on The Riot. The longer CS seems less pronounced on the Rail at +10MM compared to the Balance. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on a Rascal, just get so nervous about new stuff.
    *fixed it for you on my phone

I think Nurse Ben is comparing the Revel bikes to the Riot and Balance. Those are Bros designed frames and each have short chain stays compared to bikes in their classes.

The Shred Dogg looks interesting. If I was getting a short travel fs, it would between that and the Scout. I am going to stick with Balance unless the Bro(s) drop something I have to have.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    I get it, I was comparing apples to oranges and I enjoy a good short CS which is one of the reasons I enjoy my Honzo so much.
    I'm in the market for a plastic 29 trail bike to replace my old Process 134 right now. (I've come to like 29ers better) and keep hoping Canfield will release something new. Revel Rascal and GG (Smash or TP) are where I'm looking right now, both have waiting lists but that's par for the course on the latest and greatest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I get it, I was comparing apples to oranges and I enjoy a good short CS which is one of the reasons I enjoy my Honzo so much.
    I'm in the market for a plastic 29 trail bike to replace my old Process 134 right now. (I've come to like 29ers better) and keep hoping Canfield will release something new. Revel Rascal and GG (Smash or TP) are where I'm looking right now, both have waiting lists but that's par for the course on the latest and greatest.
    The new 153 is a pretty nice bike. 420 chainstays and peddles pretty good. My wife has a 134 and she really liked the new Process. It peddles better than her bike. I personally dont quite fit it. And she's waiting to see what Canfeild comes out with first. Since their bikes are plusher but still peddle great.

mtbr member
    How about the carbon Smuggler? Also a horst link bike like the GG. The 2.4 clearance in the back might be a factor, though. A 2.4 Rekon is a great tire however.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Know how long the Rascal wait list is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Know how long the Rascal wait list is?
    mid-May, as of a week ago.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    How about the carbon Smuggler? Also a horst link bike like the GG. The 2.4 clearance in the back might be a factor, though. A 2.4 Rekon is a great tire however.
    That is on the list as is the SB130 & The Following. GG is at or near the top because I'm a fan of their innovation & stateside production, the Revel bikes really appeal to my eye. Both of these are unique kinda boutique brands which adds points too although I know it shouldn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I do like GG because of the new manufacturing process but I love the CBF suspension. I know that Horst link bikes all ride differently. I've owned a few. Had DW and VPP also but CBF takes the win. Come on Canfield, give us the news on what's next. I'm willing to wait it out. My Balance is still rock and will continue to ride it until the end. Worse case I'll get a Revel in the future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Just got my Rascal. Only one ride on it so far but Iím very impressed. So much better than any other suspension platform Iíve ridden. Itís worth the wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post

Just got my Rascal. Only one ride on it so far but Iím very impressed. So much better than any other suspension platform Iíve ridden. Itís worth the wait!

I can appreciate new-bike hyperbole. What other platforms have you owned? Your weight, riding terrain, etc. would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can appreciate new-bike hyperbole. What other platforms have you owned? Your weight, riding terrain, etc. would be appreciated.
    Yeah I defiantly recognize some of it is placebo effect of new bike day. Iíve owned most notably a giant trance, salsa Horsethief, and most recently a Ripley LS. The rascal is more like the trance but pedals much better. Ripley was a good bike but much more harsh. I will need more time on it but I donít notice any slower climbing compared to the Ripley. My first climbs have actually been faster. Downhill there is no comparison with anything Iíve ridden or demoed. It just sticks to the ground and is much easier to throw into corners than the Ripley. I have a size large and Iím 6í tall. Ride in north west NY mostly every type of trail I can find xc, tech, and jump lines. Time will tell how much is excitement and what are actual benefits. Iíll be doing an xc race at the end of the month on a course I do every year so that will be an honest test of its pedaling platform.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    mid-May, as of a week ago.
    Early June as of yesterday...I keep trying to give the Bro(s) a chance to put out new bikes but I'm getting a bit impatient

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Sweet! Great looking ride!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweet! Great looking ride!!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just got my shipping notification yesterday. My Rascal frame will arrive on Tuesday. Will report back then!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Is that an eeWings crank?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is that an eeWings crank?
    Good eye yes they are.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone have an actual frame weight of Rascal with rear shock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    About 7.5lbs

mtbr member
    I love all the Cane Creek bits on this Rascal, super clean!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    About 7.5lbs
    So about a pound lighter than a Riot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So about a pound lighter than a Riot.
    Or as the weight weenie within me says "so about 1.5 pounds heavier than the longer travel Ripmo with rear shock in large size."
    Not same class of bike, but I like the looks and uniqueness of the Rascal a lot. Ripmo frames can be found new for $2700, but the Rascal's $2400 after returning the shipping bag is a nice perk.

addendum: just looked at Rascal geometry. It's a long/big bike especially for a 130/140 frame.
    Last edited by westin; 04-07-2019 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just got my shipping notification yesterday. My Rascal frame will arrive on Tuesday. Will report back then!
    How long was your wait?

mtbr member
    How long was your wait?
    I ordered it right after they announced it, and was the first person on the Ďwait listí so I would say about 4 weeks. Today is the day the frame arrives. Building it up this week, but still waiting on my NOBL/Hydra wheelset. Hoping to have it all built by Friday, but that all depends on NOBL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Or as the weight weenie within me says "so about 1.5 pounds heavier than the longer travel Ripmo with rear shock in large size."
    Not same class of bike, but I like the looks and uniqueness of the Rascal a lot. Ripmo frames can be found new for $2700, but the Rascal's $2400 after returning the shipping bag is a nice perk.

addendum: just looked at Rascal geometry. It's a long/big bike especially for a 130/140 frame.
    The frame only option does not come with the frame bag. It comes in a normal cardboard box.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ordered it right after they announced it, and was the first person on the Ďwait listí so I would say about 4 weeks. Today is the day the frame arrives. Building it up this week, but still waiting on my NOBL/Hydra wheelset. Hoping to have it all built by Friday, but that all depends on NOBL.
    What color did you get? Itís a sick bike in both colors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So there goes my presumed $200 discount, sigh.

mtbr member
    Licensing CBF.... something new-97271761-4998-48c8-8a31-d88d19ae0a7f.jpg

Blue and itís stunning in person!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97271761-4998-48C8-8A31-D88D19AE0A7F.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	1246272

Nice! I was torn but decided on black. Looking forward to seeing your build!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    By chance anyone weigh it before the build?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Where can one buy the Ripmo frame new for $2,700? Message me if you don't want to publicize it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jwren00 View Post
    Where can one buy the Ripmo frame new for $2,700? Message me if you don't want to publicize it. Thanks!
    It was $2740 delivered to the NW part of the US. Now the regular mailorder price is $2999 it seems. Shop owner was great, phone and text communication. Took place last summer. Size large frame. Rear shock was dpx2. I'll let you ask around the Ibis forum, and I bet at least 2 of this shop's regular customers will PM you. They asked me NOT to pm anyone about the price or shop name. Why, I didn't ask, but they may get a referral. Good for them. I'm a man of my word otherwise I'd PM you, but wanted to reply here first. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97271761-4998-48C8-8A31-D88D19AE0A7F.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	1246272

Please post a ride report once built up. I'm really wondering how the suspension is on this. I'm not a huge fan of super active "magic carpet" ride. I preffer something progressive and poppy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Please post a ride report once built up. I'm really wondering how the suspension is on this. I'm not a huge fan of super active "magic carpet" ride. I preffer something progressive and poppy.
    I donít think Iíd call it magic carpet. Itís very intuitive and easily more poppy than my Ripley LS was. My favorite part of the suspension is it is very predictable. Havenít had it on any constantly high speed trails yet but have done about 100 miles of tight rocky rooty with some decent drops. Waiting for the trails to dry up before I can do any more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I donít think Iíd call it magic carpet. Itís very intuitive and easily more poppy than my Ripley LS was. My favorite part of the suspension is it is very predictable. Havenít had it on any constantly high speed trails yet but have done about 100 miles of tight rocky rooty with some decent drops. Waiting for the trails to dry up before I can do any more.

More poppy than a Ripley...NICE! I had been waiting for Ibis to announce new biking in hopes it was an updated Ripley.
    How would does the bike pedal on flat trails vs the Ripley? Is here a huge difference in efficiency?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sorry about all the silence guys.

Few things-

1- The Licensing deal with CBF is just a reflection of how good the "Formula" is. It can be applied to any suspension layout, and Canfield can not build them all. Excited for more people to feel the perfection of the Balance formula.

2- We were never in financial trouble with going to Carbon. No issues with the molds or the factory. In fact we were doing very well.

So we are getting an announcement in the next two weeks? I was hoping it was going to be announced at Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    More poppy than a Ripley...NICE! I had been waiting for Ibis to announce new biking in hopes it was an updated Ripley.
    How would does the bike pedal on flat trails vs the Ripley? Is here a huge difference in efficiency?
    I canít notice a difference on flats. It truly is amazing. But Iíve been on the fat bike all winter so itís bound to feel fast. I stole some parts from the Ripley to build the rascal but Iíll have the Ripley built back up soon. I want to do some back to back road climbs and see if thereís a difference.

mtbr member
    This thing is a beauty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Licensing CBF.... something new-1672f99b-f40b-4bef-95b4-324d6c8bc299.jpg  

Licensing CBF.... something new-ee80a179-ae5d-4fbc-9817-23dbafabf448.jpg  

mtbr member
    This thing is a beauty
    That is a stunning ride.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidermatt View Post
    So we are getting an announcement in the next two weeks? I was hoping it was going to be announced at Sea Otter.
    I guess its coming out today? I'm referring to the (this month or next) comment from @cSquared made in March. Last day of April!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidermatt View Post
    I guess its coming out today? I'm referring to the (this month or next) comment from @cSquared made in March. Last day of April!
    Ha! Hope you're not holding your breath!

mtbr member
    Sorry, guys. Not yet.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry, guys. Not yet.
    I'm excited to see what you guys have up your collective sleeves! I've got my Riot dialed in perfectly but and I'm real torn on riding something else. But after shredding hard for three years, it's the frame's about done. I've got play in the head tube which is only going to get worse. Maybe another season on it. I'm having a kid in a few weeks, though, so you've got time to get me something new

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sorry, guys. Not yet.
    Patiently waiting for whatever's coming down the line...

My N9 will more than suffice until then, though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Requesting more thoughts from the couple of folks here with a Revel...!
    Not a lot of information on them out there.
    Anybody with more than 2 or 3 rides on it? What are your impressions!?

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by La Nada View Post
    I thought it was 1 year warranty and lifetime crash replacemen for guerrilla gravity. That's been my only hang up. 1 year doesn't seem long enough for brand new technology. Sometimes problems take a while to reveal themselves.
    Though I'd clear up something here:

Guerrilla Gravity offers a lifetime manufacturing defect warranty - so while yes, the Revved Carbon tech is new, if later down the road everyone starts experience the same issues, they'll cover those folks in full (if original owner) or with discounts (for 2nd owners).

They don't offer full crash replacement warranties - but, they will sell you pieces of frames. If you snap a chainstay due to crash, they'll sell you one at a discount. If you mess up the front triangle in a crash, they might cut you a deal on just a front triangle. These days, that's mostly industry standard. We as the consumer can't expect no-questions-asked warranties on frames that sells for a few thousand.

That's partially why GG wanted to work on impact resistance prior to doing a carbon frame - they want buyers to know that unless your frame gets run over by a truck, or falls off the side of a cliff, it'll likely be alright.

Anyway, this is a Canfield forum so we'll get back to patiently waiting Chris's announcements on the future of Canfield.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This thing is a beauty
    And, in black.

Licensing CBF.... something new-rascal29er.jpeg

Licensing CBF.... something new-rascal29era.jpeg

mtbr member
    And, in black.
    Are those the 40mm rise Stealth Fatbars?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Are those the 40mm rise Stealth Fatbars?
    Indeed. Good eye! They are gorgeous, and I dig the 40mm.

mtbr member
    They definitely look nice! I only picked up on the rise because I have the 30mm ones on my Balance

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks like Revel raised their prices by $200. ugh

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wut he said, good product, good warranty, new frame tech but these guys ainít going anywhere but up.

So yeah, it sucks Canfield is done, but if youíre a Canfield fan, the GG bikes should on your radar.

GG is made here, designed here, stiff, strong, fair price, get one and ride with reckless abandon!

Iím partial to the Shred Dogg, itís more closely aligned with the Canfield short chainstay mantra, 423mm and fits 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Though I'd clear up something here:

Guerrilla Gravity offers a lifetime manufacturing defect warranty - so while yes, the Revved Carbon tech is new, if later down the road everyone starts experience the same issues, they'll cover those folks in full (if original owner) or with discounts (for 2nd owners).

They don't offer full crash replacement warranties - but, they will sell you pieces of frames. If you snap a chainstay due to crash, they'll sell you one at a discount. If you mess up the front triangle in a crash, they might cut you a deal on just a front triangle. These days, that's mostly industry standard. We as the consumer can't expect no-questions-asked warranties on frames that sells for a few thousand.

That's partially why GG wanted to work on impact resistance prior to doing a carbon frame - they want buyers to know that unless your frame gets run over by a truck, or falls off the side of a cliff, it'll likely be alright.

Anyway, this is a Canfield forum so we'll get back to patiently waiting Chris's announcements on the future of Canfield.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    who said that Canfield is done?
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    who said that Canfield is done?
    Nurse Ben did.

The Brothers have said things will continue just need to get the legal stuff done.

mtbr member
    Requesting more thoughts from the couple of folks here with a Revel...!
    Not a lot of information on them out there.
    Anybody with more than 2 or 3 rides on it? What are your impressions!?
    Iím right around 100 miles on my Rascal now. I can confidently say Iím 100% happy with my purchase. I was a Riot owner patiently waiting for the carbon version. I demoed the SB130, Hightower LT, and Ripmo, and while they were all great bikes, I decided I was going to stay with the Riot until the carbon version was released.

Fast forward to the announcement of the Rascal with the CBF platform...sold on the spot. I had been saving money to build up exactly what I wanted and figured this was it. Didnít even demo the bike, just trusted it was a good frame on a pedaling platform I was familiar and comfortable with.

Whether you wait for the carbon Riot or nab the Rascal, you canít go wrong. I live in VA, so we have everything from flow to rocky/chunky trails. The bike is stable and the perfect length for me. Just a hair over 28lbs, and Iím on the medium. Iím 5í8Ē and 150lbs so it feels just right. Some have complained that the seat angle isnít steep enough, but for my height I donít notice it at all. Let me know if you have any questions in particular.

The CB skull still lives on in my Rascal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the review!
    I actually pulled the trigger and have about 100 miles on my Rascal too!
    Also coming from a Riot, which I rode for 3+ years.
    I was always a pro-alloy guy and never got behind the whole "need a carbon Riot!" movement....
    The Rascal is my first carbon bike. I really, really notice it when I'm airborne.... just feels so, so much lighter and sportier than my old Riot.

Love that they were able to license the CBF suspension design. It's excellent in my opinion. The Rascal climbs like a beast with it.

All in all, I'd rather it have 140mm rear travel, but at 130mm, it's still a complete blast and a badass bike. I'm running a 140mm fork, but may eventually move to a 150mm to see what 150/130 is like on it.

For those who were dying for the carbon Riot, check out the Revel bikes.

Iím right around 100 miles on my Rascal now. I can confidently say Iím 100% happy with my purchase. I was a Riot owner patiently waiting for the carbon version. I demoed the SB130, Hightower LT, and Ripmo, and while they were all great bikes, I decided I was going to stay with the Riot until the carbon version was released.

Fast forward to the announcement of the Rascal with the CBF platform...sold on the spot. I had been saving money to build up exactly what I wanted and figured this was it. Didnít even demo the bike, just trusted it was a good frame on a pedaling platform I was familiar and comfortable with.

Whether you wait for the carbon Riot or nab the Rascal, you canít go wrong. I live in VA, so we have everything from flow to rocky/chunky trails. The bike is stable and the perfect length for me. Just a hair over 28lbs, and Iím on the medium. Iím 5í8Ē and 150lbs so it feels just right. Some have complained that the seat angle isnít steep enough, but for my height I donít notice it at all. Let me know if you have any questions in particular.

The CB skull still lives on in my Rascal!