Jedi Frankenbike Plans- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Jedi Frankenbike Plans

Hey Canfield experts. I loving bike projects and recently bought a 2011 Jedi frame in my size.

I have some whacky ideas for the build and I wanted to get some opinions from those with more experience than me.

My purpose for the bike will be pretty minimal - likely try to hit a couple of lift served mountains once or twice per year and practice some sketchy drop areas on my local trails.

(1) I'm looking to try to get a single crown 160-170ish 29er fork (which isn't easy in 1-1/8) rather than a 26" 200mm dual crown fork. This would make it a 69er with 30-40mm less travel and about 1-1/2" increase in wheel height. So standing geometry is practically a wash. Tell me my fatal flaws in this plan.

(2) I would probably use a wider range cassette in 9-speed or 10-speed paired with a smaller front chainring (32t-ish) to ease my climbing. That's going to affect the max downhill speed. I'm not super fast on the downhills, so am I going to kill the feel of the bike?

Thoughts?
    20 Ibis Ripmo AF
    14 Surly Instigator 2.0
    07 Jamis Eclipse
    13 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    I don't see a problem with running a larger cassette and smaller chainring up front. A larger cassette will make the climbs suck a little less, but it won't turn a DH bike into a climbing bike by any stretch. Also, keep in mind that you have to account for chain growth as the suspension compresses, so you'll probably need a mid or long cage rear derailleur with the capacity to run a bigger rear cassette.

I've done a fair bit of climbing on my Jedi at my local freeride trails that have a ~3 mile climb with 1,400 ft elevation gain to get to the top, with some proper DH bike worthy features on the way back down. The gearing is only one issue that makes the climbing a challenge. For me at least, the short/slack seat tube makes it a challenge to get anywhere close to proper leg extension for seated pedaling (I have very long legs) and isn't practical since it would put my weight VERY far back which is a liability since you sag back into all that travel.

That means I have to pedal standing up for the entire climb in a massive gear. While the Jedi pedals efficiently enough for DH purposes, the suspension is full open and active, and there is a fair bit of suspension movement on every pedal stroke which further saps your strength. Then add in the weight of the bike, which is the the least important factor but still a noticeable detriment to climbing when you add in the other factors. So, a larger cassette only addresses 1 issue.

As for the fork swap, not sure what your goal is there. For lift served DH I think you'd be better off with a dual crown fork with 8" of travel. While I can see some benefit in the rollover characteristics of a 29" front wheel up front paired with the rearward axle path of the Jedi for tackling trails with some proper square edge chunder, I'd still rather have a stiffer/beefier fork up front with more travel.

And for practicing drops, a larger front wheel doesn't buy you anything, while shorter travel and more flex will be less desirable.
    No dig no whine