ISO: 2011-13 Canfield ONE lower link- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

ISO: 2011-13 Canfield ONE lower link

I know it's a long shot... but does anyone out there across the intrawebz have a lower link for a 2011, 12, or 13 Canfield ONE?

Asking for a friend. No seriously, my friend is looking for one!

mtbr member
    Same here, lower link for the one

I wouldnt mind even thr blueprints for making one as i have a reach to a 5 axis cnc machine

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    Same here, lower link for the one

I wouldnt mind even thr blueprints for making one as i have a reach to a 5 axis cnc machine
    Ask Chris... I emailed and Sean said they are looking into making some available, that might be a feasible option.

mtbr member
    Oh, sweet

I emailed Sean about purchasing a new Balance, but still no reply

i will try emailing Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sean is on vacation atm, and he just got engaged to his girl... Congrats Sean!

I'm also pretty sure that they do not have any balance or riot left, and are waiting until their new designs get finished before releasing any info.

Believe me, I've been pestering him for over a year now...

mtbr member
    Hey guys

I may be able to make a few links on a 4 or 5 axis cnc machines

I wanted to know if there is any interest in buying these, cause the cnc guy told me that making a 1of is going to be very expensive, but 5 links would be much more price debatable, some in the area of 400-450usd per link

I was wondering if it is even worth the hassle

I know i am willing to pay up to 500$ to make my one ride again
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a large 2013 Canfield One frame that I am willing to sell. It has just been sitting around for the past 2 years. It has developed 2 hairline cracks at the pinch bolt on the rear triangle. I was still riding it but I have switched to a long travel 29er.

PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Hey guys

I may be able to make a few links on a 4 or 5 axis cnc machines

I wanted to know if there is any interest in buying these, cause the cnc guy told me that making a 1of is going to be very expensive, but 5 links would be much more price debatable, some in the area of 400-450usd per link

I was wondering if it is even worth the hassle

I know i am willing to pay up to 500$ to make my one ride again
    Interested, depending on link design and price.

Seems like these links are breaking at their thinnest point. I had a friend of mine sketch up a new link in CAD, and he checked with a local CNC shop he does business with and it was going to be at least $800 for a 1-off link. They said they might be able to reduce it down $600 with a simplified design. My friend eliminated all of the hollowed-out machining on the underside of the link, which adds a bit of weight of course, but didn't go back for a quote.

We have another friend that works in a 3D printing R&D lab, who printed up the design out of plastic to check the fit. One change we made was to add some more material the thicken things up where the original link failed. Fit seems pretty good, but had at least 1 tweak to make to give just a hair more clearance with the seat tube on full bottom out. That, and we hadn't worked out the threading on the upper part of the link. I was able to just use the pivot bolt to self-tap threads in the soft plastic to check the fit, but more work would be needed to sort that out for the real deal.

Anyway, that's as far as we took it, but I am still interested in getting my One rolling again.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    I am copying what i also wrote in the Canfield Bike owners group on facebook

Well, the story goes as follows

I have broken mine, and decided to try and make one in a 4 or 5 axis cnc machine

I have contacted Lance Canfield and he helped me out by sending me machining plans for the link

I showed my broken link and the machine plans to a cnc operator near my workplace and he told me
    1. the one he will make will be from a solid piece of 7075 grade aluminum

And he also suggested not to mill the weightsaving parts like the bottom part of the link, thus making it a sturdier piece

And third, which was my idea, i was thinking maybe to grind out the upper iscg mount on the bike, and this will allow to make the link at the thinner part (drive side) a little bit bulkier and without the kink made for clearing the iscg mount

He told me this could cost 450$-500$ for the part, but an improved one, better material and stronger in the long term

No need to mold or make new cad plans as i have the original cad plans from the bros

mtbr member

I have broken mine, and decided to try and make one in a 4 or 5 axis cnc machine

I have contacted Lance Canfield and he helped me out by sending me machining plans for the link

I showed my broken link and the machine plans to a cnc operator near my workplace and he told me

And he also suggested not to mill the weightsaving parts like the bottom part of the link, thus making it a sturdier piece

And third, which was my idea, i was thinking maybe to grind out the upper iscg mount on the bike, and this will allow to make the link at the thinner part (drive side) a little bit bulkier and without the kink made for clearing the iscg mount

He told me this could cost 450$-500$ for the part, but an improved one, better material and stronger in the long term

No need to mold or make new cad plans as i have the original cad plans from the bros
    Good to know that you got the CAD plans from the Bro's.

The link that we mocked up left a fair a bit more material where the link has to clear the ISCG mount than the original, but we also thickened that side of the link in the same area. So, thicker in both vertical and horizontal cross section where it broke.

My link broke from a massive pedal strike (bent crank and pedal), which torqued the bottom bracket and applied a side load to the thinnest part of the link, which also happens to be where it is notched out to clear the ISCG tab (thinnest vertical and horizontal cross section of the drive side of the link).

Adding more material to the vertical cross section of the link at that point would make it stronger when casing a jump or harsh bottom out (which is also supported by the thicker non-drive side of the link), but doesn't do as much to counteract a side load as thickening the horizontal cross section.

I'll have to look at the original link and the 3D printed version to see how much we thickened it up. Seemed like there was still a lot of clearance between the link and the chain ring, but I'm running a single ring with chain guide. Might be tighter for someone running a two-ring setup.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

If you're able to get this made I'm pretty sure I'd be in for one as well as my friend who has my previous ONE.

Let us know how it goes! $500 for that link is do-able!

mtbr member
    I am still waiting for my machibist to give me a go, hr has a busy couple of weeks
    meanwhile i have worked on the design of the link

My idea is to straighten the kink above top iscg mount, and gring out the top iscg tab in benefot of a beefier link arm

As i dont care much for the top tab
    i rather destroy a chainring instead of the link again

Attached a pic for reference

All in all, the link i plan to make is little less astethic but much beefier!ISO: 2011-13 Canfield ONE lower link-img_20190225_115133-1500x2000.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I completely agree as that does seem to be the weak point in the link. I'd have no problem nipping that tab off in favor of a stronger link. The CG would probably be fine mounting on just the 2 anyways. Keep me posted!

mtbr member
    Got around and started making my own link on the cnc machine

Got a sturdy block of billet aluminum 7075 and this is my progress so far

Should be done in a couple of hours

I am not going to do all the weight reductions from the part, just going to make one hell of a burly link for me to use

ISO: 2011-13 Canfield ONE lower link-img-20190906-wa0010.jpg

mtbr member
    So.. this happened today:-)
    https://youtu.be/dLRK_rGvCqY

Hooligan
    Wow! great job on that link.
    I actually broke the same exact bike yesterday. Is there any chance you could share a step file or something? I would also be interested in making myself a replacement if we cant get some sort of group buy together.

In a perfect world, I would love to keep my ISO tabs. I run an e13 chain guide / bash and really dont want to give it up if i dont have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post

In a perfect world, I would love to keep my ISO tabs. I run an e13 chain guide / bash and really dont want to give it up if i dont have to.
    well, i currently have 2 links, one for myself, and its my third weekend riding on it without any issues! i am so happy

the second link is currently spoken for unless he changes his mind.

my machinist is ready for making a few more,
    about the ISCG upper tab, you dont have to fully remove it, i just removed it cause i am a hack, just took a angle grinder the took it off, but after installing i realized i could have just remove teeny bit of material from the upper tab to clear the link, DOH!!

here are a few more pics of the link we made
    made from a solid block of aluminium, and not cast!
    tough as f!ck

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10y...IWYn52STw89Itb

Hooligan
    that looks great! let me know if the other guy backs out or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    As i said, i can always make more