How does the 2017 Toir compare to the newer tech today?- Mtbr.com
    Captain Climber

How does the 2017 Toir compare to the newer tech today?

Loving my 2014 N9 but have been thinking of getting a FS bike too. The price on the 2017 Canfield frames is pretty nice. But how does it compare to newer trail bikes today?

I've been thinking about the Jeffsy 29 AL among others.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was waiting on Canfield's newest drop and ended up with a jeffsy cf pro race, no regrets.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU_BLIND View Post
    I was waiting on Canfield's newest drop and ended up with a jeffsy cf pro race, no regrets.
    Awesome! Pics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Loving my 2014 N9 but have been thinking of getting a FS bike too. The price on the 2017 Canfield frames is pretty nice. But how does it compare to newer trail bikes today?

I've been thinking about the Jeffsy 29 AL among others.
    If you're going to get an aluminum bike the Tior is amazing. I wish mine was lighter and will buy the carbon version if it comes out.

The YT bikes ride a lot like Specialized bikes to me. Canfield bikes pedal very well and are some of the best tech climbing bikes I have ridden. I've ridden the HTLT and Romo. Neither blew me away compared to the Tior.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    If you're going to get an aluminum bike the Tior is amazing. I wish mine was lighter and will buy the carbon version if it comes out.

The YT bikes ride a lot like Specialized bikes to me. Canfield bikes pedal very well and are some of the best tech climbing bikes I have ridden. I've ridden the HTLT and Romo. Neither blew me away compared to the Tior.
    Forgive me for my ignorance but when you say they pedal well is that because of the give in the rear suspension? I've never really ridden a good FS bike. Everything they have around here in the stores in my part of Florida are crappy entry level bikes. I'll never be climbing or using FS for more than roots and small bumps but most people here ride FS bikes.

I'm wanting a fast, but still fun and playful FS bike. The Canyon Spectral has my attention too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Forgive me for my ignorance but when you say they pedal well is that because of the give in the rear suspension? I've never really ridden a good FS bike. Everything they have around here in the stores in my part of Florida are crappy entry level bikes. I'll never be climbing or using FS for more than roots and small bumps but most people here ride FS bikes.

I'm wanting a fast, but still fun and playful FS bike. The Canyon Spectral has my attention too.
    Peddling well, has to do with suspension design. One factor is anti squat. This means that the suspension will move when it hits a bump, but doesn't move much from the force you generate when peddling.

Now the Tior is a heavy bike, and a lot of bike for Florida ( more suspension and weight than needed) Id look at the 120-130 mm rear travel bikes like Devinchi Deigo, Transition Smuggler, Gorrilla gravity Trail Pistol. Aggressive geometry so you'll have fun on it but not too much travel to make it boring.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Peddling well, has to do with suspension design. One factor is anti squat. This means that the suspension will move when it hits a bump, but doesn't move much from the force you generate when peddling.

Now the Tior is a heavy bike, and a lot of bike for Florida ( more suspension and weight than needed) Id look at the 120-130 mm rear travel bikes like Devinchi Deigo, Transition Smuggler, Gorrilla gravity Trail Pistol. Aggressive geometry so you'll have fun on it but not too much travel to make it boring.
    Thanks for that. The Trail Pistol seemed to be the only one 120mm but I guess they were all carbon and therefore lighter. I'll check these shorter travel bikes out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Swaping rear shocks on Toir from 200x57 to 200x51 is shortening rear travel from 140 to 125mm with out any geometry change. This is making bike more snappier, more playful,rider gets more respond from trail.
    I'm doing this trick from time to time with my riot and wife's prime,while riding high speed flowy trails.
    For big chunk using 200x57 coil shocks

A short travel alternative to toir/riot also can be Banshee Pantom,one of the best short travel aggresive geometry niners.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Swaping rear shocks on Toir from 200x57 to 200x51 is shortening rear travel from 140 to 125mm with out any geometry change. This is making bike more snappier, more playful,rider gets more respond from trail.
    I'm doing this trick from time to time with my riot and wife's prime,while riding high speed flowy trails.
    For big chunk using 200x57 coil shocks

A short travel alternative to toir/riot also can be Banshee Pantom,one of the best short travel aggresive geometry niners.
    I'm loving my 2014 N9 and looking for a modern FS bike that will be as fast and fun as the N9. That Banshee looks nice but I can't find any dealers here in Florida. We can't try many good bikes here. I really don't need a FS bike but most people here ride them. If I get a FS I want it to be as fast or faster than the N9 and just as fun.

I like that the Banshee can take 29+ tires. I wish the N9 could take a bigger tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Awesome! Pics?
    How does the 2017 Toir compare to the newer tech today?-scip-7-5-2019.jpg

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU_BLIND View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCIP 7-5-2019.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	366.2 KB 
ID:	1267647
    Nice!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Riot was ahead of it's time. It's only in the last year we've really seen companies adopting similar geo - long reach and steep seat tubes are now becoming the norm.

Today if you're looking for something comparable to the Riot there are a lot of options, though nothing with chain stays as short.

For me the Riot had a few drawbacks. It was a little too sketchy at high speed chunk, the rear end was not as stiff as I would have preferred, and it could be very difficult to find the sweet spot when weighting the rear on technical climbs.

I found my solution I am Evil Offering. After riding the Riot for three years the Offering feels very natural but has none of the above drawbacks.

Really I would have gone with another Canfield if they were still making bikes, but I'm not disappointed at all with my Riot's replacement.

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    I was riding my Riot overforked at 160, and it was Perfect for Tahoe/Downieville/Big mountain riding. I just sold it, and ordered a Ripmo. The Riot was medium, the Ripmo I test rode (and ordered) are size small. I dont think the Ripmo is alot better than the Riot, thats how good the Riot is. The Ripmo is ALOT better in that it actually fits me more accurately, has a 7 year warranty, and some modern carbon fiber manufacturing, with some great engineering. I suggest becoming a weight weenie for the Florida Riot build. Mine was 32.5 pounds w/XT pedals, and almost no carbon (only the Derby rims). I bet you can build it for Florida under 30 pounds. Use a lightweight 140mm FOX 34 fork. I liked the DVO Diamond but its heavy. DVO rear shock was great and problem free, add a few extra PSI to firm up the ride for rolling terrain. Chase grams! Lightest dropper, lightest bars, ESI grips, etc. You can buy alot of non-boost carbon wheelset stuff cheap!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I was riding my Riot overforked at 160, and it was Perfect for Tahoe/Downieville/Big mountain riding. I just sold it, and ordered a Ripmo. The Riot was medium, the Ripmo I test rode (and ordered) are size small. I dont think the Ripmo is alot better than the Riot, thats how good the Riot is. The Ripmo is ALOT better in that it actually fits me more accurately, has a 7 year warranty, and some modern carbon fiber manufacturing, with some great engineering. I suggest becoming a weight weenie for the Florida Riot build. Mine was 32.5 pounds w/XT pedals, and almost no carbon (only the Derby rims). I bet you can build it for Florida under 30 pounds. Use a lightweight 140mm FOX 34 fork. I liked the DVO Diamond but its heavy. DVO rear shock was great and problem free, add a few extra PSI to firm up the ride for rolling terrain. Chase grams! Lightest dropper, lightest bars, ESI grips, etc. You can buy alot of non-boost carbon wheelset stuff cheap!
    My size L riot frame/shock/HS/seat binder is about 8.75lbs, so a Riot likely never going to be a sub-30# bike. That said, it replaced a much lighter, a lot more broken Yeti SB-95 Carbon. The Riot is better despite the 2-3# weight gain.

Having lived in Florida, I can say that there is no need for a bike like Riot anywhere near there. A light, Plus-wheeled hardtail would be great for FL.

Unless you're gap-jumping alligators.