mtbr member

EPO or N9 - What rides nicer?

I had a first gen N9 and loved it until it cracked at the head tube. Going to be building another HT this winter and am on the fence regarding choosing either the EPO or N9. Iíve heard that the rear of the EPO is rather harsh. Can anybody whose ridden both chime in on this?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I canít offer a comparison as Iíve only owned an EPO. Itís been my main ride for 3 years now. I donít find the rear end harsh, especially with proper width (29er) rims and tires. I find it a very comfortable bike, even with carbon rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Iíve heard that the rear of the EPO is rather harsh.
    Thanks.
    That's because it's a hardtail !

mtbr member
    Iíve got both. Epo is geared and nimble9 is my single speed. Both bikes ride great. I road my epo for a solid year and never missed having a full Susser. The nimble is a little more compliant maybe since itís steel. But both ride amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Good job!

Thank you all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    That's because it's a hardtail !
    There's always one.

Flow
    I currently have a nimble 9, latest boost edition and I used to have an EPO. The EPO is probably my favorite bike of all time. Nothing else had the combo of haul ass up a mountain and bomb back down quite as dialed as the EPO. Sadly the ds seat stay cracked but the Bros let me warranty the frame. I don't know what caused the seat stay to crack and there was no obvious cause (could have been a crash but there was no paint missing on the crack). I will say that I rode that EPO hard, like doing shuttle days and hitting decent sized jumps. I elected to pay a little extra and get a balance for the crash replacement but then ended up missing having a hardtail and later purchased a nimble 9. My main reason for getting a nimble 9 over the EPO was the ability to run it singlespeed with no tensioner but if I had to do it over again I think I would just have gotten another EPO.

It is a little hard to compare the two since when I was riding the EPO I was living in the mountains of Virginia and riding rocky mountain trails and I got the nimble 9 after I moved to Florida, where I currently reside. Maybe the ride of the nimble 9 is a little more muted than the EPO but the effect is small and your wheels and tire pressure probably have more of an effect on how harsh the ride feels.

To me the biggest difference is the weight. The nimble 9 frame is almost twice as heavy as the EPO which makes for a pretty big difference in how the ride feels. It was just awesome to ride a 26lb bike with real tires uphill and not be held back on the decent. My nimble 9, currently set up singlespeed with xc tires weighs 27lbs, and with real tires and gears it is pushing 31 lbs. Maybe it is the properties of carbon vs steel other than weight that makes the difference but to me it is the weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I had a first gen N9 and loved it until it cracked at the head tube. Going to be building another HT this winter and am on the fence regarding choosing either the EPO or N9. Iíve heard that the rear of the EPO is rather harsh. Can anybody whose ridden both chime in on this?
    Thanks.
    I went right from an aluminum Timberjack to the EPO. It took me seconds to realize the EPO pedaled better and another few seconds to realize the EPO is less harsh in the rear. Same wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can anyone speak to feeling the difference in the stack height between the two? The stack height numbers on paper for the Nimble are pretty dang tall.

Gigantic Hawk
    Late to the party here, but I'd go with the boost N9. I say that because, if I remember correctly, you are a tall person (taller than me at least). The N9 has the same reach as the EPO, but the seat tube angle is slacker which will give you more room in the cockpit. Also, the stack is higher which will allow you to use less headset spacers. The current N9 is worlds different from our old gen 1 Nimbles. The original was a xc slayer. The latest one is a great all-rounder that really likes to be pointed downhill.

Ride On
    I canít speak to the epo but do have the current version N9 and had the original as well. The current version is quite nice to ride and relatively lightweight for a steel hardtail. Itís one of the most versatile bikes I have owned. Capable of running 275+ 29 and a combination of the two if thatís your thing. I have mine set up with a -2į angleset and a 120 MRP Ribbon and itís been a total blast to ride. Currently have Schwalbe 275x3.0 NN in the rear and a 275x2.8 MM front and they fit with room to spare on i36 rims. I would say this version is more compliant that me original N9 and very close to the zing of a legacy Krampus.
    Michael

Ride on!

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    very close to the zing of a legacy Krampus.
    That's interesting. I wonder if it is because of the Angleset? I highly disliked the og Krampus, and my boost N9 is setup with a 150mm Diamond so it must ride very different than yours does.