Current N9 with a 120mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Current N9 with a 120mm fork?

Specs on their site say that you can run the n9 with a 120-140mm fork. However.. the geo is static, it's not sagged. (confirmed by Canfield via FB message) This means that the already low BB would get about a half inch lower when going from a 551 a/c fork to something more like 526-531 (most 120mm forks) before sag. With sag and a shorter fork factored in, you're looking at a BB drop around 67mm-ish instead of the 49mm listed. (using https://bikegeo.muha.cc/ for geo calculations)

Does anyone run this setup, and have you had any problems with it?

I'm selling my current hardtail (Chromag Stylus) and i'm looking to build another steel bike. The n9 stands out to me because of how versatile it can be. Single speed or geared, 29er or 27.5+.

Was going to build this up with the new Fox 34 SC 120mm, single speed, as a lightweight trail bike that I could also use for training and the occasional beer XC race. I have a 140mm fork I can slap on it from my full suspension for when I want to get a little more aggressive.

The only worry I have is the BB height dropping too much for the rooty, rocky, New England singletrack i'd be running this on every day.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how different the current N9 is from my 2015 N9 but I've been running it as an SS with a 120mm Manitou fork for a few years now with no problems. I usually ride it in flatter XC stuff in the Arizona desert but it still gets rocky in spots. I've also used it geared in Moab and a 24 hour race in southern AZ and I had no problems with BB height. I do run 170mm cranks so that may play a slight factor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Flow
    I have run my nimble 9 with a 100mm fork (manitou tower) and it did fine. For comparision, I get way more pedal strikes while riding my balance with a 160mm fork. The bb height on hardtail does not change nearly as much as it does on a longer travel full suspension bike.

Professional Crastinator
    Late to the discussion...
    I have a '13. The BB drop is listed as 63mm. I'm running a 500 ATC rigid fork with an external lower race on chunky trails and it's fine.
    Current N9 geo says BB drop = 49mm.
    I have an '18 on the way so I'm interested to see where it ends up.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.