• 05-22-2009
    Zendog13
    Canfield Sauce vs Enduro SL
    Hello everyone. I was hoping you might lend me your thoughts on a problem I have. It is time to move on from my Heckler, mostly due to sizing. I am after a frame which will be built up with the parts on my Heckler. Namely a Duc 32 fork, Hone cranks, SLX/XTR gearing, Hope Tech M4 brakes and a few other bits. The idea is to make a good enduro/AM bike that can easily be ridden all day but can take a bit of punishment. The terrain in Greece is pretty damn rocky so the bikes get a lot of punishment. Rock gardens abound. Plus the terrain is steep so I need a good pedaling bike.
    My choices are two:
    1) Strip down an Enduro SL, re-build it with my bits and sell off the rest.
    2) Build up a Canfield Sauce frame.

Anyone around that has tried the two could give me some tips? Will the Sauce take punishment? I am not a freerider but a fair bit of downhilling come into play, minus the large drops. The One would be great but I cannot stretch to a new fork as well. I also want to stay on the lighter side of things, say 14kg or under.

Your thoughts are wellcome.
    Thanx!
  • 05-24-2009
    supramk388
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zendog13
    Anyone around that has tried the two could give me some tips? Will the Sauce take punishment? I am not a freerider but a fair bit of downhilling come into play, minus the large drops. The One would be great but I cannot stretch to a new fork as well. I also want to stay on the lighter side of things, say 14kg or under.

Your thoughts are wellcome.
    Thanx!

Have not ridden a Sauce yet but I own a One (and finally a JEDI). I know you are not really looking at the One but the One is the way to go. It will climb better than the Enduro SL and for the downs you will have more fun on a One IMO. If LBS (or KGs) are an issue for you no worries man my One is sitting at 30 1/2 now, so just under you 14 KG target

Good luck man but Canfield FTW! Always :thumbsup:
  • 05-26-2009
    crux
    Quote:

Originally Posted by supramk388
    Have not ridden a Sauce yet but I own a One (and finally a JEDI). I know you are not really looking at the One but the One is the way to go. It will climb better than the Enduro SL and for the downs you will have more fun on a One IMO. If LBS (or KGs) are an issue for you no worries man my One is sitting at 30 1/2 now, so just under you 14 KG target

Good luck man but Canfield FTW! Always :thumbsup:

At around 175ish I rode the Supra Jedi set up for an individual much lighter, and was very impressed. My suspended rig is a Ventana X-5 which is no slouch in its own regards, but my main rides are SS. When I stand to hammer up a hill the X-5 starts bobing and loosing traction. I tried to mash the Jedi, but the suspension was not really interested in bobing, rather it just wanted to propel you forward. Took the thing off and up a few curbs expecting the suspension to be harsh after the pedal test. The suspension soaked up the bumps flawlessly.

Wife is watching the bike expenses like a hawk currently, otherwise I might consider a new frame after riding Supras rig.
  • 05-26-2009
    vaughnm
    I have a Sauce and have had time on the S-Works Enduro SL and the Sauce is a funner bike. They both pedal the same but without the Special ED shock so finding parts is easier. The Sauce has a good feel at speed and pedals very well. My brother worked for the big S and had all there high end bikes. Once he was no longer working for them he toke a spin on the first demo Chris put together and never gave it back. He sold two of his bikes to buy the demo from Chris and he said its the funest bike he has had in a long time. All in all its a great all around bike.
    Vaughn
  • 05-28-2009
    Zendog13
    Thank you all for the input, it has been very helpful. I am leaning towards the Sauce but will wait a while, probably till July when I get to see the new Enduro at teh Dealer event. Added bonus to that is that I may actually have enough money for a new fork which means....One.
  • 05-28-2009
    perttime
    Hi, hope you don't mind....

The Sauce description seems to be so much about lightness, and I am on the heavy side and a bit standover challenged too...

If I ever buy myself another FS bike, I'd like it to be tough but capable of extended pedaling. Five inches rear travel sounds about right too. How is the Can-Can?

Do you guys manage to ride the Can-Can with the seat up close to "XC level"?`
  • 05-29-2009
    catnash
  • 06-01-2009
    vaughnm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by perttime
    Hi, hope you don't mind....

The Sauce description seems to be so much about lightness, and I am on the heavy side and a bit standover challenged too...

If I ever buy myself another FS bike, I'd like it to be tough but capable of extended pedaling. Five inches rear travel sounds about right too. How is the Can-Can?

Do you guys manage to ride the Can-Can with the seat up close to "XC level"?`

Well I am over 2 bills and ride mine in the 6 inch mode everwhere. So no worries about how light the frame is. Mine is under 6 lbs frame and rear shock a fox rp23.
    Rode the bike on the longest ride so far about 15 miles in the hot sun. Man the bike just goes by it self. Such a fun bike.
    If you have any questions let me know.
    VM
  • 06-03-2009
    perttime
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaughnm
    no worries about how light the frame is. Mine is under 6 lbs frame and rear shock a fox rp23.

That is the Sauce?

Looking at the geometry numbers, I think Canfield's Large sizes would be about right for me. The thing with the Sauce, for me, is that the Top Tube is pretty high on the Large. The other models are a bit lower, but I don't really think I'd have use for (another) 7" bike either.

I know that standover clearance is overrated but I have managed to find hardtails that give me a little ... and I like it.
  • 06-03-2009
    vaughnm
    I also ride a S-Works Carbon hard tail and it has less stand over clearance than the Canhead. Plus it has 6 inchs of travel so it going to feel high to start with. Once you get use to it you dont even notice.
    I came off a Yeti 575 with the drop top tube and I have never noticed the TT on the Sauce.
    VM
  • 06-03-2009
    Zendog13
    We are building up a One at the shop right now so hopefully I will get a small test ride with it soon. Might have to sell my hardtail to sponsor a change in plans.
    I got to try Chris's Jedi at Eurobike 08 last year and was amazed at how it pedaled...I seriously doubt a downhill bike has any right whatsoever to pedal like that. Ah well, have to stop drooling now...
  • 06-14-2009
    Zendog13
    How off do you think the ONE would be with a Duc32 up front? I was thinking I might set it up with what I have till I can get my hands on a 36Float or such. Its the head angle I am worried about, not the Duc's performance. Sag in teh rear would be increased to try and level things out. Any thoughts?
  • 06-14-2009
    giantsaam
    With a 520mm axle to crown height it looks like you would be in 69 degree head angle group which might be ok for a while but a little steep for my taste.
  • 06-14-2009
    Evil Sylvain
    I have a large One and took the following measurements with my digital inclinometer:
    165mm -> 67.7deg
    140mm -> 68.4deg
    110mm -> 69.3deg

The fork is a Talas 36RC2 and this was taken when the fork was brand new. I need to retake those measurements after a few months of riding. I measured the exposed stanchion.
  • 06-15-2009
    Zendog13
    Nice, thank you for the info, judging by Evil's data I am guessing with the Duc it should be closer to 68 than 69, quite bearable to begin with. Plus running more sag in in the back will help offset the difference.