Canfield Riot vs. Knolly Warden- Mtbr.com
    ride more.
    Nov 2004

Canfield Riot vs. Knolly Warden

Debating adding a Riot to the quiver, or selling the Warden to try the Riot, and am interested in thoughts about the Riot. Ideally, I would love to hear from anyone who has some time on both a Warden (or some other Knolly) and a Riot.

About me:

I currently own a Knolly Warden and absolutely love the bike. I have been riding mountain bikes for 24 years, and have owned many bikes over the years, and by far, the Warden is the best I have owned.

For pedaling, my least favorite FS rig has been an Intense Slopstyle.

I live in Utah, take trips to the Moab and St. George area when my schedule allows, and otherwise spend lots of time riding in Park City.

I pedal up to be able to go down, but dont want to haul an inefficient load uphill.

I have never owned a 29er. I borrowed a friend's Jeffsy for a few weeks last year. I was much faster on it on the climbs, but I did not enjoy it going down - not maneuverable, not stable, etc. Some of these characteristics could have been from the poor suspension on the Jeffsy vs. my Warden, but regardless, night and day between Warden and Jeffsy.

Thoughts? Any comparison experience with the Riot and the Warden? Or even the Riot and the Jeffsy?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Warden is closer to the Balance than the Riot. I've ride a Warden and like the bike a lot. When pointed down, not many bikes like them. They climb technical trails very well but take more energy from you. The Canfield bikes are active but more efficient climbing bikes. The Jeffsy is a lot like a Spec Stump jumper. The riot is a much better bike and more manuverable bike. It's a great bike for chunky twisty turny trails. If you get the Riot you're probably only going to ride the Warden once in a while. And then might want a Balance a well, it's efficient and has longer legs.

Or you may just want a Balance with a coil shock.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned both, in Phoenix. I didn't love either bike (and, honestly, I needed an XL in both rather than the the L). If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Riot. I could not get the Knolly to do what I wanted handling wise -- pretty sure it was due to the low stack height for me -- and I didn't think the suspension was all that special.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the responses. From what you have said, it sounds like the Riot may fit the bill then if I was looking to replace the Warden with an equally capable bike on the descents, but with the ability to climb to the top faster and more efficiently. Fair summary?

If so, I will have to think this through before making a decision. I really love the Warden, but if the Riot was truly faster up and felt just as fast and playful on the way down...

mtbr member
    Banshee Prime? (29er guise, pic is 27.5+ looks kewl though)

Thinking of getting an orange frame :drool:

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    Thanks for the responses. From what you have said, it sounds like the Riot may fit the bill then if I was looking to replace the Warden with an equally capable bike on the descents, but with the ability to climb to the top faster and more efficiently. Fair summary?

If so, I will have to think this through before making a decision. I really love the Warden, but if the Riot was truly faster up and felt just as fast and playful on the way down...
    Very tough decision and the EXACT decision I made 1 year ago!!

I owned a Knolly Chilcotin for 4 years and loved that bike. Killed me to sell it. I was going to get the Carbon Warden as it is suppose to pedal better than the Chilcotin and descend just as well. I had read great things about the Canfield suspension being very efficient and great on the DH. I would say a large part of my decision to go with the Riot was that I wanted a game changer. I had never been on a 29er and with Canfield being DH folks it just made sense. I also felt like going from the Chilcotin to Warden was a fairly lateral move. It still would have been a great move as Knolly makes absolutely incredible bikes. I also own a Knolly Podium. The Riot has been an absolute blast and the short chain stays are great at carving turns and lurching up onto rock ledges and faces. The head angle is aggressive enough to take it to the park or DH basically anything you want. I ride the Riot often where the Balance is more intended, and it's vaguely relevant. MY Riot is not exactly snappy as I have it built up with an Avy coil shock and 2.5 DH tires (2 ply), ONYX hubs, and weighs about 34 lbs. That said it's still pretty playful and maneuverable. Tech climbing is also PHENOMENAL!! Folks without this type of DH build have noted that they wished they had more capability. I don't mind the WEIGHT sacrifice too much as I love DH. The one thing that I notice with 29 is the acceleration to sprint. It takes an extra second to burst vs the 26 I came from. I have a friend on the Carbon Warden and he loves it too. More than the Chilcotin he had....Its such a tough decision but they both are top notch and I don't regret my choice.

Here is a post I put up from a DH/Park day on the Riot.

Good luck!

http://forums.mtbr.com/canfield/canf...s-1026146.html

Cheers
    Last edited by mayha; 02-26-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Chris Bling
    Where in Utah are you? I know quite a few of us have Riots in your neck of the woods, including myself

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Draper. Would love to check it out if you are willing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for all the responses. I am still torn. Love the Warden.

It is probably very much based on preference and trying one out. So if anyone is interested in trying out a warden for an afternoon while I try out a riot, I am down.

Live in draper. Work in SLC and PC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have not ridden the riot but got rid of my warden for a novara 29er with carbon rims. glad i did it.

mtbr member
    I have a few different Canfields and live in Draper.
    Sent you a PM.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Thanks Rock Dude. I will be in touch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alu s works View Post
    I have not ridden the riot but got rid of my warden for a novara 29er with carbon rims. glad i did it.
    I got rid of my Lamborghini for a Prius...Glad I did it too.