Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts

    I took the Riot out for a DH/Park day as I'm servicing my DH bike and was just blown away again at how capable and versatile this bike is. It's amazing what this 140mm 29er can handle. The Riot stays composed in so many areas that it can be the only bike you need if you choose to have one bike. As always, I prefer to beat the $hit out of my DH bike to spread out the abuse, but I was very surprised at how well the Riot took very chunky trails and a drop that has been measured at 20ft x 20ft. When I first got the bike I was very impressed by how nimble and maneuverable it was and how great it excelled at very technical trail riding. I immediately felt comfortable on it and felt like I could do whatever I wanted with tire placement. It's an exceptionally balanced bike. At first, I was happy with the DH aspect of the bike but felt a pogo effect on the front end that I assumed was the lack of travel or one of the characteristics of the newish Pike. I was coming from a 170 Lyrik RC2DH on my old bike (Knolly Chilcotin). Someone mentioned (Jtravnh, thanks!) that you can burp the fork by sliding a zip tie between the seals after releasing all the air from the fork and compress it a few times. After doing this I was amazed at how this remedied the deflection I was getting. The DH was much better and even more composed. The bike is just straight up fun as the short chain stays make so many aspects of riding a blast. At the park I left the bike set up mostly as I always do other than add some tire pressure. I did make a couple of changes on the jump/drop trails. I slowed the rebound on the Avalanche Woodie shock one click to ease forward pitch off lips and for the drops I added the one click of compression on the Pike as there is no compression adjustment like the old Lyrik. All drops felt amazing and plush while completely stable. My DH bike (Knolly Podium) is obviously more plush and planted but the Riot felt absolutely incredible and filled in like a champ. The Canfield Balance is suppose to be a bit more DH friendly and a bit less pedal friendly so I guess it's a slight trade off to what you want. I am curious as hell to ride a Balance, but I do not regret getting my Riot at all. Cheers to Canfield for a killer rig. Love to spread the stoke!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  

    Canfield Riot...DH/Park day ~ pics & thoughts-image.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Raleighguy29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,188
    I've been so happy with my riot that I can't contain it sometimes. It's such a awesome bike. I've demoed a balance on my local trails. It was set up with a 170 stage and a mrp raze coil. And I must say it pedals amazing for such a big bike. I kind of want one even though I don't need it but that whole n+1 thing. Just not sure how I can sneak one into the fleet since I have a epo nimble the riot and my fat bike for snow. The balance is more of a **** it just huck it bike. The riot is also in it's on special way. I'm heading to pisgah with my riot right now for a week of riding


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Nice!! We hit Pisgah last year and loved it. The Riot will be so sweet there. Our favorite was Buckwheat to Bennett. Such a long DH.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Raleighguy29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Nice!! We hit Pisgah last year and loved it. The Riot will be so sweet there. Our favorite was Buckwheat to Bennett. Such a long DH.
    Last time I road pisgah a year ago was on a carbon stumpy fsr I can't wait to get the riot there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    179
    Rode there in the spring on kona 111 so stoked to hit it on my riot !

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ROFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    76
    Awesome! I had a blast at the park with my Riot as well. I have a set of 27.5s I throw on for such an occasion and I love it.

  7. #7
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,785
    Interestingly, high-speed true chunk was the one significant chink in the Riot's armor and was ultimately one of the reasons I sold mine.

    I thought the Riot was overall a great bike, heavy, but pedaled well, great handling, super-easy to pop and manual. A very fun bike that climbed better than you might think. And on what most tech riders in Arizona would consider mid-level chunk -- National trail at South Mountain, some of the bigger stuff at Phoenix Mountain Preserves -- the bike handled itself well. In fact, my second-fastest run down National was on the Riot.

    However, riding it on next-level techy stuff at South Mountain -- Old Man, Geronimo, Holbert -- was an eye-opener for me. For instance, on a trail like Geronimo -- which I've ridden dozens and dozens of time on various bikes -- the Riot was a handful. Granted, this trail is steep and a pretty much non-stop series of tech moves at pretty high-speed.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    32
    I see you made it off the pink bike drop, nice! Great shots! I was the guy you met up there on the Balance. I have only been able to get out on the local trails since I have had it but, like everyone else has stated the bike pedals amazingly well for a long travel rig and even more capable going down. Having so much fun with it. I have yet to get a day to myself at the park with it yet though. Have had my two kids in tote the past few times I have been up there. I introduced it to them a few weeks ago and they are loving Highland so I have been trying to stoke the fire.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    268
    You're going to love the Balance at the park. The more I read the comments about the Riot, the more I want one to go with my Balance.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyspoke View Post
    I see you made it off the pink bike drop, nice! Great shots! I was the guy you met up there on the Balance. I have only been able to get out on the local trails since I have had it but, like everyone else has stated the bike pedals amazingly well for a long travel rig and even more capable going down. Having so much fun with it. I have yet to get a day to myself at the park with it yet though. Have had my two kids in tote the past few times I have been up there. I introduced it to them a few weeks ago and they are loving Highland so I have been trying to stoke the fire.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers! Nice meeting you. Your Balance looks incredible with the green links and green Spank wheels.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Interestingly, high-speed true chunk was the one significant chink in the Riot's armor and was ultimately one of the reasons I sold mine.

    I thought the Riot was overall a great bike, heavy, but pedaled well, great handling, super-easy to pop and manual. A very fun bike that climbed better than you might think. And on what most tech riders in Arizona would consider mid-level chunk -- National trail at South Mountain, some of the bigger stuff at Phoenix Mountain Preserves -- the bike handled itself well. In fact, my second-fastest run down National was on the Riot.

    However, riding it on next-level techy stuff at South Mountain -- Old Man, Geronimo, Holbert -- was an eye-opener for me. For instance, on a trail like Geronimo -- which I've ridden dozens and dozens of time on various bikes -- the Riot was a handful. Granted, this trail is steep and a pretty much non-stop series of tech moves at pretty high-speed.
    I wonder how much of this is bike set up for folks. I built my Riot up about as burly as you can with the Woodie shock, 2.5 - 2ply DH Minions on 30mm wide Spank rims. It weighs in at 33.5/34lbs. I've never ridden the Riot on anything other than the Woodie so I can't do a direct comparison. I prefer chunky trails and avoid the flow trails and haven't experienced the Riot lacking composure. I've taken it down sections that guys on DH bikes have walked and have been very impressed. Airing into steep and rowdy sections have been a blast. It's been such a versatile bike. I have to say too that when I took my Woodie off my Chilcotin and put the DB AIR back on, it wasn't the same bike.

Similar Threads

  1. Canfield Riot Photo Thread
    By dustyduke22 in forum Canfield
    Replies: 911
    Last Post: 05-06-2020, 09:15 PM
  2. Canfield Riot vs GG Trail Pistol
    By dustyduke22 in forum Guerrilla Gravity
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 04:45 AM
  3. Canfield Riot
    By Blatant in forum Arizona
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2016, 05:10 PM
  4. New Canfield Riot 29
    By dustyduke22 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-08-2015, 07:46 PM
  5. Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS
    By KillingtonVT in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2015, 06:24 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.