Canfield Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Canfield Question

I am looking to get a new Whistler/downhill/bike park bike this Winter (7-8 inches of Travel)and originally was looking at the Lucky as one of my main choices. I recently heard that Canfield was going to make a Stout DH/FR version of the new concept bike the "One". The drawings I saw looked pretty sweet (liked the shorter Wheelbase) and wondered if there was any more information about the project and if the bike would fit my intended use?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's funny as I'm reading your post, I'm on Vaca in Whistler with my Lucky.

The Brothers are doing a stouter version of the One, I believe the currant name is the Can-Diggle. I've ridden the One and they are two diferent bikes. The Lucky is SUPER stiff and really indestructable. It's really poppy, playfull and has a little bit of classic Canfield rearward arc.. The new bike will be aprox 3 lbs lighter, have a better pedalling platform and will have a traditional wheelpath. I guess it really depends on how you ride. If you are smooth, the new bike will rock, if you are a hack like me... the Lucky is bad ass!!!

Call Chris, he will be able to give you more info and will get you stoked to get on one of his bikes.

mtbr member
    I am definately very curious about checking out both the One as my all mountain/xc/freeride bike for St George. I am planning on an RFX for now but if i dont go with the One I might consider a Jedi as my DH/FR for ski resorts and trips to Deer valley. I am bummed that the One doesnt have the cool rear wheel path, i heard that chris got rid of the lucky because as a trail bike it had a lifting feeling in the granny gears which made it weird when standing and pedaling in those gears.

Aug 2007
    ya. i wanted a jedi still kinda do, but its only 7.75 rear travel currently im at 8... so i might not get one but there dope bikes theres 2 canfields in my crew a F1 and a lucky and their both the ****...

Canfield Bikes

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMauler
    ya. i wanted a jedi still kinda do, but its only 7.75 rear travel currently im at 8... so i might not get one but there dope bikes theres 2 canfields in my crew a F1 and a lucky and their both the ****...
    The Jedi is 7.75" vertical and 2.5 rearward.
    It feels as deep as a 10" frame but nimble like a 7.75"
    Nothing is smoother-

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The Jedi feels like so much more than <8 inches

I rode the Jedi in Deer Valley back to back with my 05 Formula 1. I absolutely love my Formula but the Jedi was better. It was smoother through the rough stuff at speed than mine, noticeably smoother and never felt like there was a shortage of travel. You can't compare this bike by the travel numbers to anything else out there. That rearward makes it so much more accomodating. It was agile too, the bike felt right, there was no getting used to it or learning it. You just got on it and instantly were riding at your limits and feeling more comfortable doing so than you had before.
    I was torn with the desire to updgrade my current rig and still am, its just hard to justify when I am still so hard on for my current rig. I have a suggestion to you Canfield dudes. How about the name Formula S.O.W. (Sex On Wheels). Jedi is a cool way to describe the experience of riding one too so maybe for the next model you come out with.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I am interested with the One too for my AM/FR/DH ride. I m actually looking for a light DH rig that I can trail ride as well, I m only 130 lbs and 5'3" so I was thinking the small One would be perfect. Jedi seems too heavy for me to be huckable and I don't ride that much gravity track, maybe once or twice a month with 3-4 DH race a year.
    I m currently on a Nomad which will be parted soon. I want the new bike covers the same range of use with more travel to accommodate 6'-8' drops and some more stability on speed.

Lance, would the One be a step up from my current rig? How difference is the wheelpath as compared to a Jedi? Can I get away with it?
    I can't have 3 different bikes for my need, I already have a 5" XC/AM bike for much lighter relaxing days.
    Appreciate anyone can chime in also.

Canfield Bikes
    Sounds like the CanDiggle is what your looking for. It's like the One but with a DH build. It will be around 9 lbs for the frame and coil 5.0 shock. Our heavy version is as light as almost anything out there.
    The biggest difference your going to feel from your Nomad to a One is the granny ring doesn't lift the suspension to top out. You can actually stand in granny and have no wierd feeling. You know, the inch worm, the elevator top out, the lift - relax feeling. At the same time the other rings are not soft, just feels like it wants to go forward. The Jedi wheel path is radically rearward. The One is a vertical path. Jedi is really meant for smoothing out the roughest trail and holding more momentium down the hill. The One is a all day long, in the saddle, climb to the goods and decend like a DH bike. The One isn't a DH rig but the CanDiggle will pedal like a One and be build like a full on DH race bike. Hope this rambling helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The One

is still scheduled for a Feb 08 release? Is it possible to order one now, through a dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    Sounds like the CanDiggle is what your looking for. It's like the One but with a DH build. It will be around 9 lbs for the frame and coil 5.0 shock. Our heavy version is as light as almost anything out there.
    The biggest difference your going to feel from your Nomad to a One is the granny ring doesn't lift the suspension to top out. You can actually stand in granny and have no wierd feeling. You know, the inch worm, the elevator top out, the lift - relax feeling. At the same time the other rings are not soft, just feels like it wants to go forward. The Jedi wheel path is radically rearward. The One is a vertical path. Jedi is really meant for smoothing out the roughest trail and holding more momentium down the hill. The One is a all day long, in the saddle, climb to the goods and decend like a DH bike. The One isn't a DH rig but the CanDiggle will pedal like a One and be build like a full on DH race bike. Hope this rambling helps.

Canfield Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkgriswald
    is still scheduled for a Feb 08 release? Is it possible to order one now, through a dealer?
    Yes, we are still on schedule and you can call your local dealer and get it pre-ordered. Chris can point you to your local dealer if your unsure - 801-548-2556
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Great, thanks

Local dealer is Drop "N" Zone in Bellingham.

Yes, we are still on schedule and you can call your local dealer and get it pre-ordered. Chris can point you to your local dealer if your unsure - 801-548-2556
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkgriswald
    Local dealer is Drop "N" Zone in Bellingham.
    Allen will take care of you, he helped me get my Lucky together.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Sounds like the CanDiggle is what your looking for.....

The One and CanDiggle are close to the same, The One is lighter and geo for a 6-7" fork and the CanDiggle is a DH build. Same with the Sauce and CanCan.

Lance, quoted from your post in other thread, CanDiggle and the One geometry are they really the same.. ? What makes them different? Weight? Tubing size? Fork a-c? Wheelpath..?
    Can the One built DH heavy or CanDiggle built AM light (with different sets of wheel), dual chainring, and make me grinning on those two different stream ? Which one best..?
    I will still need a long travel rig that can be pedalled long hours with occassional DH but your thought make me thinking... ..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Jedi wheel path is radically rearward. The One is a vertical path. Jedi is really meant for smoothing out the roughest trail and holding more momentium down the hill. The One is a all day long, in the saddle, climb to the goods and decend like a DH bike. The One isn't a DH rig but the CanDiggle will pedal like a One and be build like a full on DH race bike. Hope this rambling helps.
    I am trying to decide if I should go with the Jedi or the Can Diggle. I will use this bike primarily at Whistler and would only run a single ring up front. I am looking for a bike that will Kill it on the nasty on Garbonzo/Joyride/Detroit rock city but will also be fun with some pop and lively flow on Dirt merchant/A-line/Biker Cross. I was thinking of going with a Totem coil or 66rc3. Does the Jedi have a 1.5 headtube if I went that route?

I need the all around Whistler Bike. Do I Can Diggle or move with the force(Jedi)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

if you are going single ring up front

my vote is Jedi. Flymybike will have the final say of course but 1 1/8 is headtube last I heard.

Canfield Bikes
    The Can-Diggle would be better for whistler.
    It's to smooth for a Jedi.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Smooth? Grabanzo is far from smooth if you don't take Freight train.

My Lucky rips up that terrain. Man, I miss flowing Too Tight at the end of those runs.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the CanDiggle looks like. Sounds like an interesting ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I was thinking upper whistler as well

I am more into the upper than the lower mountain and love Original Sin, No Joke, Duffman, etc. I would dig a Jedi for that part of the mountain. Lower Joyride, Detroit Rock City, DH course would be great on Jedi as well. Although huge fan of Dirt Merchant (who isn't?), I prefer the trails I mentioned above and pick a bike most suited for those.

Aug 2007
    here i though the jedi was the killer... but whistler is too smooth for it wha?

Canfield Bikes
    The Jedi is a high speed bike.
    The Can-Diggle works better for medium to slow speed.
    It is all about bump performance.
    Whistler is not a rock garden tech resort like a Bromont or MSA.
    The Jedi would be killer everywhere cause rearward arc kicks A$$!
    The Can-Diggle wheelpath is more up and forward-
    Better for jumps and that bouncy turning feel and pedaling up.
    Rearward- better for everything else- comfort- speed- bumps- landing- highspeeds- casing- riding beyond your limits cause the wheelpath will save you A$$.
    The Fomula's are in their own catagory.
    Rearward Arc- And then the rest of the bikes out there.
    Rearward makes you feel like you can do anything-
    Vertical to forward- scary as hell. You better bring your "A" game cause any mistake and your in the dirt.

The Formula's you can F- up all day long and it will pull you through.
    It's the coolest feeling ever-

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Tough decision.

Favorite Whistler route: Osin-Goats-In Deep-Fatcrobat-D1-Schleyer/Upper joyride-Detriot Rock City-Biker Cross.

And then fiish off the day with some Dirty Merchant and Aline-crabapple hits laps. i am torn on which canfield to go with. I wish I could Demo both. Does the Jedi have any pop or does it hug the ground?

Members who have read this thread: 0