Canfield problems- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    139

    Canfield problems

    Just wondering how many people are actually having problems with their Canfields / One's
    Last edited by Bike Whore; 07-04-2010 at 07:38 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    136
    all good here..jedi and one

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    520

    None so far,

    two years on a ONE. Loving it. Hopefully the new edition will be available in an XL????

  4. #4
    ≈ > ♥
    Reputation: zahgurim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    956
    My only problem with my One is that, after all the money I spent on it, it still doesn't wake me up witha BJ.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    207
    What's up wit yours? My Jedi creaks quite abit, I constantly have to remove the RD hanger to grease it. I wouldn't really call it a problem though, just annoyance.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    375
    No problem with my One here in my second season.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    93
    Not unless you are using it as a freeride bike. Other than that its a good bike.
    VM

  8. #8
    Canfield Bikes
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy
    What's up wit yours? My Jedi creaks quite abit, I constantly have to remove the RD hanger to grease it. I wouldn't really call it a problem though, just annoyance.
    What is going on with your bike? The hanger shouldn't need grease. If your bike is creaking check 1. pivots are all VERY tight, 2. Your shock bolts are tight and that the eyelets don't have play and 3. your BB is tight and it's not worn out. These are the common creak causes. Find whats loose, it's not good for your bike to have creaks.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    What is going on with your bike? The hanger shouldn't need grease. If your bike is creaking check 1. pivots are all VERY tight, 2. Your shock bolts are tight and that the eyelets don't have play and 3. your BB is tight and it's not worn out. These are the common creak causes. Find whats loose, it's not good for your bike to have creaks.
    Dunno, my cranks are new and bb was tightened to spec using a torque wrench so it should be good there. Had the pivots re-tightnened when I 1st started getting creaks. Shock bolts seem ok and upgraded to enduro shock pivots too. Still getting creaks so I brought it to my mech and first thing he did was remove the hanger, greased it and bike went silent!! I dont' understand it either. The hanger is held tight by 2 screws, don't see how they can move around but putting grease there seemed to solve it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughnm
    Not unless you are using it as a freeride bike. Other than that its a good bike.
    VM
    Why couldn't you use it to freeride?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by mariosjsk8
    Why couldn't you use it to freeride?
    The frame was built as a long travel all mountain bike. Thin tubes xc geometry. They people who are freeriding them are having issues. If you use it what it was built for then it will last a long time. I have been riding one of the first sauces for 2 years and have had no issues. They guys that get the Sauces and Ones and use them for freeride bikes or park bikes will have real issues.
    Use a bike they way it was meant to be used. Just because it has 7-8 inches of travel does not mean its a dh or freeride bike.
    That is why you should not use the Ones as a freeride bike.
    VM

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    see above
    Last edited by mariosjsk8; 07-12-2010 at 03:16 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughnm
    The frame was built as a long travel all mountain bike. Thin tubes xc geometry. They people who are freeriding them are having issues. If you use it what it was built for then it will last a long time. I have been riding one of the first sauces for 2 years and have had no issues. They guys that get the Sauces and Ones and use them for freeride bikes or park bikes will have real issues.
    Use a bike they way it was meant to be used. Just because it has 7-8 inches of travel does not mean its a dh or freeride bike.
    That is why you should not use the Ones as a freeride bike.
    VM

    +1.

    Yehhp!!!!!!!

    I agree with it. Also I must say that I had some structural problems with my One because I dit too much DH riding on it. I contact with Chris and he solved me all problems I had with warranty and very quick.

    So, the only think I can say is I'll be a Canfield Rider for long long time. And as soon I get some money to spend in new frames will be the new One.

    And about Jedi problems I just can say one of my bets friends have one and he is riding DH championships and he has no problems (just an other happy rider).

    I suggest to anybody that has a problem that contact with Chris (Flymybikes), Canfield shop or your local mecanic to solve it.

    Hey guys, have good time and pedal as much as you can.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160

    problems

    I am curious about the problems that people are experiencing. I bought a used One. I am stoked to finally have an all mountain bike but from the comments above, this isn't a bike I should take to Northstar or to my local downhill trails?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by mariosjsk8
    I am curious about the problems that people are experiencing. I bought a used One. I am stoked to finally have an all mountain bike but from the comments above, this isn't a bike I should take to Northstar or to my local downhill trails?
    You are correct. Its a great AM bike.
    VM

  16. #16
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,300
    Many "DH" trails can be ridden on an XC bike. But much more slowly and staying very close to the ground.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughnm
    You are correct. Its a great AM bike.
    VM
    I'll still do it and let you guys know if I run into any problems.

    Any other One owners out there have some input on this?

  18. #18
    ≈ > ♥
    Reputation: zahgurim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    956
    The One is capable of taking smaller drops to tranny ok, but that's not something you want to do often on it. I rock easier DH trails on mine, and have hit up 9x9 stepdowns to super-smooth tranny on it, but that's about as big as I want to go on her. If I'm going to a gravitypark I take my bigbike and leave the One at home.

    It's an all-mountain bike: Pedals like an XC going up, and very capable of milder DH going down.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    The One is capable of taking smaller drops to tranny ok, but that's not something you want to do often on it. I rock easier DH trails on mine, and have hit up 9x9 stepdowns to super-smooth tranny on it, but that's about as big as I want to go on her. If I'm going to a gravitypark I take my bigbike and leave the One at home.

    It's an all-mountain bike: Pedals like an XC going up, and very capable of milder DH going down.
    Yeah I'm not Red Bull Rampage dude so I am not worried about doing huge drops and sh!t. Thanks for the input man.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    897
    Wasn't all the controversy about running longer travel forks? I think the One is fine all day long with a 160mm fork on it. But when someone puts a longer fork on it (180mm+) then red flags go off, even though the brothers site had the geometry for one.

    I absolutely love, love, love this bike as do anything all-mountain, maybe some light free-ride bike. Anything more and you should have bought a Diggle. If you wanted to run a Totem you should have bought a Diggle.

    It's been a pleasure dealing with Chris/Lance. They have always been easy to get a hold of and take the time to find out your needs. Customer service is A+.

    Chris

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Wasn't all the controversy about running longer travel forks? I think the One is fine all day long with a 160mm fork on it. But when someone puts a longer fork on it (180mm+) then red flags go off, even though the brothers site had the geometry for one.

    I absolutely love, love, love this bike as do anything all-mountain, maybe some light free-ride bike. Anything more and you should have bought a Diggle. If you wanted to run a Totem you should have bought a Diggle.

    It's been a pleasure dealing with Chris/Lance. They have always been easy to get a hold of and take the time to find out your needs. Customer service is A+.

    Chris
    I am running the 36 Talas...NICE! Yeah I was thinking about getting the Can-Diggle front triangle. They got some left over....

  22. #22
    7MGTE
    Reputation: supramk388's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by mariosjsk8
    Yeah I'm not Red Bull Rampage dude so I am not worried about doing huge drops and sh!t. Thanks for the input man.
    You will be fine bro for most things I would not worry. Here is a drop I hit on my One and it did not even have the Maxel rear or upgraded lower linkage. Just ride the hell out of it and never look back. You have a great bike from a great company.

    Here you go Pics always flatten things out but that rock alone is 10 feet tall.

    <object width="600" height="500"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3982860&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3982860&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="500"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/3982860">Me hitting Graveyard drop</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1379799">supramk388</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Wasn't all the controversy about running longer travel forks? I think the One is fine all day long with a 160mm fork on it. But when someone puts a longer fork on it (180mm+) then red flags go off, even though the brothers site had the geometry for one.

    I absolutely love, love, love this bike as do anything all-mountain, maybe some light free-ride bike. Anything more and you should have bought a Diggle. If you wanted to run a Totem you should have bought a Diggle.

    It's been a pleasure dealing with Chris/Lance. They have always been easy to get a hold of and take the time to find out your needs. Customer service is A+.

    Chris
    Very well said man

  23. #23
    Go SOLAR...
    Reputation: larlev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    How is the rear suspension compared to other designs? You guys sold on it?
    Go Solar...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Wasn't all the controversy about running longer travel forks? I think the One is fine all day long with a 160mm fork on it. But when someone puts a longer fork on it (180mm+) then red flags go off, even though the brothers site had the geometry for one.

    I absolutely love, love, love this bike as do anything all-mountain, maybe some light free-ride bike. Anything more and you should have bought a Diggle. If you wanted to run a Totem you should have bought a Diggle.

    It's been a pleasure dealing with Chris/Lance. They have always been easy to get a hold of and take the time to find out your needs. Customer service is A+.

    Chris
    I have a couple of friends that do very light all-mountain riding, both have broken their One's and have to wait 5 months till there
    are replacements available, it would be great to receive the same A+ service that you are mentioning.

    No spares for a current model is a bit of a bummer

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    How is the rear suspension compared to other designs? You guys sold on it?
    I am using a coil shock. Very efficient whether using the granny or middle chainring, sit or stand. I plow through pretty much everything with constant speed and no pedal feedback or suspension stiffening up.

  26. #26
    ≈ > ♥
    Reputation: zahgurim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    956
    The One frames that have broken... where have they cracked?

    Would be good info to know, just to keep an eye on the area.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    How is the rear suspension compared to other designs? You guys sold on it?
    So my Dad just got a One on closeout. He and I were riding last week and I wanted to give his bike a try. We switched out for some uphill and downhill. For reference I have a 06 Turner RFX. The weight on our bikes is pretty similar as well as the suspension set up. I love Turners and think they are the greatest things out, but after riding his bike I am almost ready to switch my allegiance to Canfield. Uphill pedaling on the One made the RFX feel like poo in comparison. I had no idea such a long travel trail bike could climb so efficiently. Downhill felt super plush and responsive. A totally confidence inspiring design.

    If the new RFX ever comes out it will have to be pretty amazing to convince me to buy it over the new One.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay
    So my Dad just got a One on closeout. He and I were riding last week and I wanted to give his bike a try. We switched out for some uphill and downhill. For reference I have a 06 Turner RFX. The weight on our bikes is pretty similar as well as the suspension set up. I love Turners and think they are the greatest things out, but after riding his bike I am almost ready to switch my allegiance to Canfield. Uphill pedaling on the One made the RFX feel like poo in comparison. I had no idea such a long travel trail bike could climb so efficiently. Downhill felt super plush and responsive. A totally confidence inspiring design.

    If the new RFX ever comes out it will have to be pretty amazing to convince me to buy it over the new One.

    don't post your thoughts in the turner forum, the homers will hang you. i've had two turners of my own and the ride of my banshee rune puts my spot and 5 pack's ride to shame. banshee and canfield are both made at the same factory in taiwan so the build quality is similar which is excellent imho. i would like to try the new one when it comes out. i've only heard good things about their suspension designs. interesting to hear your view on this.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    897
    My One definitely puts the Intense Tracer VP to shame. I was down on Canfield for a while because my first One frame cracked (it was a used frame that the original owner probably broke by using a 180mm fork and I didn't notice it til later). I threw all the parts on the Tracer and road the hell out of it for a couple months. The bike was ok but just didn't really excel at anything. I threw the parts back on my new One frame (who else but Chris/Lance warranties a used frame?) and have never looked back. The One climbs better than the Tracer and handily trashes it on the downhills!

    Chris
    Last edited by Chris9702l; 07-20-2010 at 05:40 PM.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    295
    Been riding pretty much everything (at least 3-4 rides per week) but mega gnar on my One for almost a full season now. Absoultley no problems so far. No creaks/groans, linkages always staying tight etc. I was a bit concerned coming from a really high end brand (Turner RFX/Highline.) but honestly I couldn't be happier.

    I dig this frame so much I picked up a can diggle frame and built it up for park/DH riding. The bikes are so similar it makes it real easy to transition back and forth. The diggle is just a burlier version of the One w/very little additional weight.

    I spent all last week at Whistler and the bike was great for everything. Even got to make a few runs w/Chris and Lance. Chris helped me setup my fork and even gave some riding pointers to my wife and her friend. I got to follow Lance through the jump line which also helped a ton. How's that for customer support!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    678
    Crap, spent last week at Whistler too and pretty much said "Canfield" to everyone I saw but had no idea the Bros. were there. Sure would have been nice to chat and maybe they could have convinced the wife to ride her ONE on the park.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

  32. #32
    Go SOLAR...
    Reputation: larlev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger.
    Go Solar...

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    678
    if your talking ONE then I hope you ride a small

    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Just a quick Northstar report. Canfield One handled great. Rocks, jumps, corners, everything that Northstar offered, the One ate it up. Never been on a trail like Boondocks and besides the flat that I got, the bike charged through it no problem.

    A downhill bike, no, but a kick ass all round bike that can be built very light and kick the **** out of mostly everything you throw at it, yes.

    I have still not seen anyone reply with exact problems that they experienced using a 180mm or with any information about cracking. Prove it is all I have to say.

    Again, I am not a very experienced rider so I don't manhandle my bikes like others I have seen out there, maybe it isn't made for a place like Northstar, but I only have positives to say about how it performed.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by mariosjsk8

    I have still not seen anyone reply with exact problems that they experienced using a 180mm or with any information about cracking. Prove it is all I have to say.
    .

    I have a heap of pics of "problems" cracked head tubes, cracked rear ends and misaligned frames. The Canfield Bros have contacted the local distributor and asked that none of that appear here.

    Still waiting on warranty frames and have been for about 4 months and now have heard it will be 2011 before they can warranty these bikes.

    Bikes are fun when things go well, glad to hear you have been having a ball on yours

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whore
    I have a heap of pics of "problems" cracked head tubes, cracked rear ends and misaligned frames. The Canfield Bros have contacted the local distributor and asked that none of that appear here.

    Still waiting on warranty frames and have been for about 4 months and now have heard it will be 2011 before they can warranty these bikes.

    Bikes are fun when things go well, glad to hear you have been having a ball on yours
    Damn that sucks man.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    213
    Jedi 2008 model.

    Great bike, but the frame wont fit a Maxxis 2.5 Wetscream.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Playdeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    652
    I have owned many bikes. This Canfield One is the best bike I have ridden. Loved it in Park City and spent a fair amount of time in St George and Gooseberry with it. Great all mountain bike. Ill be getting a new One this season I am sure. Cant wait.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    You will be fine bro for most things I would not worry. Here is a drop I hit on my One and it did not even have the Maxel rear or upgraded lower linkage. Just ride the hell out of it and never look back. You have a great bike from a great company.

    Here you go Pics always flatten things out but that rock alone is 10 feet tall.

    <object width="600" height="500"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3982860&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3982860&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="500"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/3982860">Me hitting Graveyard drop</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1379799">supramk388</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>



    Very well said man
    Man thats a huge drop

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.