Canfield One with coil spring shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Canfield One with coil spring shock

hi all,

I have a Canfiled bros One, setup with a Elka stage 5 shock.
    Elka recommended a 400lbs spring for my weight, but its way too soft, i end up with too much sag and the bike bobs like crazy.(i'm 220lbs with gear)

so i'm gonna order a new spring , but,my calculations varies from 450lbs to 550lbs depending on sag and shock travel i use(i have a 8.5x2.5 shock so 6.6 and 7.5" of travel)

as a reference, I use my one as a trailbike with as much ups than down, the bike got a rock shock pike up front.

I was wondering what percentage of sag you guys are running and what spring weight you are using vs your weight. it would help me choose what spring to buy. any recommendation welcome.

mtbr member
    so no one is using a ONE with a coil shock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm currently demo-ing a Cane Creek Double Barrel on my One. 500lb spring for 175lbs of rider/pack. All I can say is it... freaking... rocks! From the get-go it was performing better than the Fox RP23 that I've been trying to dial for the last year. After a little bit of fiddling it just got better. I'm still not dialed and who knows when I will be but it's sooo nice already. Sag is probably 20%-ish but I'm not sure. Sag and travel usage measurements have been done using my untrained eyeball.

The thing climbs better with this shock, there is almost no pedal bob unlike the RP23 where I could never get a balance of sag, bottom out, and pedal bob despite my best efforts.

For reference, I'm using 8.75x2.75 and the long travel setting. I ride it as a trail bike (albeit a 34 lb trailbike with a Lyrik DH).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey,
    I got a Marz Roco TST with a 500/550 Ti coil (8.75x2.75). It was fricking amazing until it fizzled out after two rides It's been at push for the last couple months waiting for parts from Marzocchi (prime example why Push doesn't work on Marz stuff anymore).
    Still rocking a push'd RP3 which is amazing!

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey,
    I got a Marz Roco TST with a 500/550 Ti coil (8.75x2.75). It was fricking amazing until it fizzled out after two rides It's been at push for the last couple months waiting for parts from Marzocchi (prime example why Push doesn't work on Marz stuff anymore).
    Still rocking a push'd RP3 which is amazing!

Chris

≈ > ♥
    I'm about 195-200lbs geared up, and am rocking a 350lb spring on my One/Elka.

I thought it was a bit undersprung at first, but adjusted preload to about 30% and then added a couple extra clicks of low-speed compression and it's been stellar. One thing about the Elka, the adjustments actually adjust how the shock works. Couldn't be any happier with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    I'm about 195-200lbs geared up, and am rocking a 350lb spring on my One/Elka.

I thought it was a bit undersprung at first, but adjusted preload to about 30% and then added a couple extra clicks of low-speed compression and it's been stellar. One thing about the Elka, the adjustments actually adjust how the shock works. Couldn't be any happier with it.

I know about that.
    i'm on my second elka shock...playing with low speed compression did not do much difference with my One, so thats why i think it might just be beacause my spring is just too soft...Maybe i have a shock problem?...

mtbr member
    I have an RC4, weigh about the same as you. The heaviest spring I had around was a 450# manitou, that's what I have on there now (I measured the spring on a dyno at 435#, well within the margin most springs claim). I'm getting a little over 40% sag with the preload as high as I'm comfortable with. The bike hardly bobs at all even with all that sag.

just another confirmation that the One seems to need the higher end of spring rates per the calculators.

Members who have read this thread: 0